Cannondale Jekyll 800 2003 Full Suspension

4.7/5 (27 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Orangevale,CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    the Lefty is awsome, this was my 1st lefty and im sold.

Weaknesses:    Deore Front der,cranks and shift pods. thoose will probably be replaced if they ever fail. but so far they are perfect.

Bottom Line:
awsome awsome bike. i even like it better than the rush, i swear it handles better than a rush 1000. i like the tail end on this bike better than most. i love cannondale's!! and the next bike will be a cannondale. and there customer service is the best.

Favorite Trail:   mt.tam

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   other cannondales

Bike Setup:   stock, but took off the crappy tires and put on panaracer trailblasters

Submitted by Todd Davison a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, Washington

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    This is a great cross country bike, I kept it stock out of the store except for adding Velociraptor tires. It is light and strong and handled a lot of rocks and roots and ruts mud and winter wet riding in Capitol Forest. Bike staid working quite well for a long time and about first year.

Weaknesses:    Canondale service is basically some bizzare no mans land. If you break anything or need service you are screwed, you can't get it, the dealer is far away and cannot get it etc. Do not buy a Cannondale unless you buy 100% backup parts...which would be kind of absurd.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike!!! really poor service and company dealer backup. The Cannondale formula seems to be lets see how fast we can go out of Business in the USA. Who should buy it? Someone who: A>) doesn't like riding much and wants a real nice bike to look at, cause if you ride a lot your gonna need service and you won't get it. Or B:) Your'e gonna ride it hard for a season and then get rid of it again because your gonna need a lot of service and won't get it, or C:) your a gear and mechanic head and want to spend a lot of time getting parts etc and driving around a lot to get to bike shops. Bottom Line for me is I bought a Specialized Enduro Expert and did not move up the Cannondale line.

Favorite Trail:   Capitol Forest Single Track

Purchased At:   Center Cycle Inc, Renton WA.

Similar Products Used:   Earlier Cannondale, New Specialized Enduro Expert-which is probably twice the bike as the Jekyll.

Bike Setup:   Stock out of shop

Submitted by Scott Marlow a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Lefty Fork, Hayes disc brakes

Weaknesses:    no off position for Lefty front shock, poor cable routing causes wear on frame/fork.

Bottom Line:
I love my Jekyll; it's the best bike that I've ridden since 1992. Ascends better than my hardtails. The Lefty is rigid, Rigid, RIGID!

I wish my Lefty could be turned off for climbing; it nose dives on hard climbs and sucks a lot of energy. For the price, Cannondale should also include an adapter mount for a fork rack (like Hurricane Component's For Up). The cable routing caused frame wear early on, and Cdale's supplied frame protector tape is a joke (they obviously know this is a problem).

Still, I never knew full suspension could be so fast and responsive. Kudos to Cannondale for engineering a variable rear suspension that can be adjusted for downhill vs. tight, twisty singletrack.

If you are considering this bike, you might also demo the Jamis Dakkar, which had a similar fit for me.

Bike Setup:   OEM

Submitted by Andro Galero a Weekend Warrior from Butuan City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2005

Strengths:    5 inches of travel!!! 26 lbs!!! hydro disc brakes!!!

Weaknesses:    I live in the Philippines and i don't know any bikeshop or anyone who can repair a Lefty fork. Might send it back to the US for maintenance and repair.

Bottom Line:
The Lefty fork gets a lot of questions off and on the trail. And it has the performance and travel to back its unusual looks. The best bike i ever owned!

Favorite Trail:   Malalag Trail

Similar Products Used:   1999 Raven 900

Bike Setup:   stock except for SRAM XO rear derailleur, X-Gen Front derailleur, PG-990 cassette, PC-990 chain, Truvativ Stylo Team GXP cranks, Easton Monkeylite DH bars and Thomson Elite seatpost.

Submitted by woz a Weekend Warrior from newcastle,uk

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    lock out is a god send for the hills,light wait frame,guick,smooth,responsive and comfortable,Its the first time ive had a ful suspension and wasnt guite sure at first but it has no problem keeping up with the hard tails

Weaknesses:    tend to have a few creaks not sure if I just have to put a bit of copper grease on the joint and seat post, but nothin major

Bottom Line:
great alround fun!!!!
i would like to give this top marks alround and i would as some as i get rid of the creak haha..

Favorite Trail:   derwent walk

Purchased At:   Edinbourgh Cycles

Submitted by Mark Heyward a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Strengths:    Nibble, fast and handles like a dream.

Weaknesses:    Lefty tops out, discs squeal like a bag full of suckling pigs.

Bottom Line:
This bike has the potential to be good only it is let down by the Lefty shock topping out. Evans have tried to fix this twice and I'm on the way back to the shop to get a refund. The Magura disc brakes are setup very poorly and squeal like crazy and creak on steep accents. It appears that when you standup on the bike placing more weight on the front the rotor moves out of alignment. All in all this bike is setup very poorly and Evans seem incapable of fixing it.

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Specialized Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Factory spec.

Submitted by DonValley Hog a Cross Country Rider from Toronto , Canada

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    The Ti-AIR-Lefty !The thing track as if it is on rail and zero flex! Easy re-bound adjmt ,lock out, light! I think the lefty ride better than 99% of the dual crown forks out there ,it is SUPER RESPONSIVE !!

Plush rear sups., very little,if any,bob at all. Also have lock out , light weight air FOX R unit.

Magura disk works great , stop on a dime in water and mud , crank and BB are light and decent shimano unit.

Price ,okay,not cheap , but any other half-decent mass production MTB these days are way over 2G anyway.. And if you want a hands built bike,you can buy a frame from Ellsworth or all the others hands built makers in US OF A.. and you may end up spending three times the money , but I serious doubt that it will go three time faster or three times better than the Jekyll..

Weaknesses:    May be the doero shifter is a bit cheap on a bike this good,but they work fine.

The Mavic X223 is a bit heavy , if you dish out a few bills for a better sets ,will makes the bike even more nimble.

Bottom Line:
I was totally impressed by the ride and the solid feel of the bike , Cannondale have the Jekyll in the 4TH production years , having learnt and improved frrom their Super V's and Raven bikes which they stop making. They know this frame design works !

Unlike other makers making something new but not necessary better and to charge more $$$ , Like the Specialized Epic bikes. Cannondale keep the Jekyll in their line up years after years.. and I personally think the Jekyll is still one of the most unique looking bike and best performing bike in the market.

In summary : If you want to keep up with your lycra XC buddies on the way up and than leave them in your dust on the way down , BUY THIS BIKE ...

Happy riding everyone ;)

Purchased At:   1500.00

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher HT , Cannondale HT , Giant NRS tested..

Bike Setup:   Stock except with DH pedals , Mythos tires.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty ELO fork, hayes brakes, geometry, rear suspension, frame fit/finish/welds, handling, adjustable handlebar.

Weaknesses:    Stock coda seat was terrible(Koobi's fantastic). Some of the cable runs rub the paint off the frame. No other major weakness for my intended purpose. It may be a bit heavy for XC racing with a bit too active rear sus. It may be a bit light for true DH riding.

Bottom Line:
This bike is actually a stock 2002 Jekyll 800 frame with many component changes/upgrades that were done by the dealer. I went to this bike from a Gary Fisher hard tail that I had been riding for about 4 years. I ride mostly a lot of twisty, rooty singletrack in my area. My primary goals in a new bike were to take the edge off the roots and improve my technical climbing and descending. I loved my Gary Fisher, but this bike has surpassed my expectations in all of those areas.

The rear suspension is extremely plush, much more than any others that I demo'd (I actually rented the Sugar 2 and Fuel for some epic rides in Colorado). I thought I would use the rear lockout some because it would be too bouncy at times, but not a problem, I never feel the need to.

The Lefty front fork is really a superior design to any I have ridden. It tracks very precisely, is very light, easy to lock out(although I don't), and mine is air adjustable to the exact feel that I want. Plus you can change the tube without taking the wheel off. The one disadvantage is that it is not quick release and will not fit in a roof rack that attaches to the front fork.

The Hayes HFX-Mag brakes give all the stopping power you need with just one finger on the brake. I just about went over the handlebars a couple of times when I was getting used to them.

The geometry of this bike took about a month to get comfortable with, I keep it in the full XC position. The Gary Fisher Genesis I came from sits you a little further back, and I didn't like the change at first. But now I find it to be much more manuverable in tight, twisty singletrack. It also has better traction on technical climbs and descends better too.

The combination of the handling with the Lefty, the performance of the rear sus on climbs/descents and comfort, the confidence of knowing I can stop quickly when I need to, the precise shifting of the XTR rear, all add up to make this bike near perfect for my style of riding. The Cannondale welds, paint and frame finish give it a real quality look and feel.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest, CO

Purchased At:   The Clean Machine

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Trek Fuel, Giant NRS 2

Bike Setup:   XTR rear/XT front component mix, Lefty ELO fork, Hayes HFX-Mag Disc Brakes, Coda cranks & rims, Syntace VRO handle bar, Shimano M525 clipless pedals, Continental Explorer Pro Tires, Koobi saddle, Salsa shaft seatpost.

Submitted by Mike Puklawsky a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    Strong frame, light, plush ride, excellent brakes, seat ! Jekyll climbs well,descends even better. Great do-it-all bike.

Weaknesses:    Tires Hutchinson (no grip on wet surface), remote lock lever not working well, Lefty Max bit too stiff at slower speeds. Ritchey seatpost has to go.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very versitile. I clock an average 2000 miles per year on bike, mostly riding trails, with rooty, technical sections. Some light freeriding and fast descends put a smile on my face each time I ride.

U can use Jekyll for any type of riding, except pure downhill. It's a great climber, the rear tires never lose traction, no matter how bad the surface. Lefty tends to bob a bit uphill, but nothing major, just pedal smoothly and you'll be fine. Rear suspension is super efficient, very plush enabling a stable, in control ride.

For wet, muddy riding change tires, Hutchinson's lack lateral grip so make sure u learn its limits first. Had problems with revolving Cannondale grips, but used an old trick with scotch tape and GT85, now it holds like its life depended on it (actually it does :-)).

I will be taking it shop for free tune up after first 100 miles. Hope the RL lever problems will be solved. Also, will be changing the front tire, its scarry in muddy, rooty sections when you lose all traction.

Will repost again with some more miles on the clock.
My first impression, 5/5 for this baby !!

Favorite Trail:   anything i can climb on to

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   none really, my first full sus'er. Was checking Elan Slyer, Kona Dawg, Giant VT2.

Bike Setup:   It is an European 2004 version:
Lefty Max, Fox Float RL Pro-Pedal, Mavic XM 117 Disc, Hutchinson Scorpion tires, Time Z Control pedals, XT/LX gear, Hayes HFX 9 brakes (Goodrich cables), Fi'zi:k Plateau seat.

Submitted by Joe Dalton from Saratoga Springs

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty Fork is nice. Plush ride. Julie disc brakes are good.

Weaknesses:    Weak welds on front triangle. A bit heavy and pogo like on uphills. Lock out not effective on singletrack ups.

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on this bike from Brad when Clifton Park Sports was going out of business.

Enjoyed riding the Cannaondale 800 Jekyll, especially on the downhills. A bit on the heavy side.

Frame cracked in same area as my friend who had the Jekyll. Bad design that they have redesigned.

Good news is that they replaced my 8 month old frame. Bad news is I had to pay out of pocket for rear shock that is different. When I questioned warranty policy I got some corporate hogwash, unlike Specialized who bend over backwards to assist their customers.

Favorite Trail:   "The Big Hill"

Purchased At:   Clifton Park Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Santa Cruz Ultralight,

Bike Setup:   Have rear shock in full cross-country mode. 2" riser bars. XT/LX

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    I mainly ride cross country (Blackfoot/elk island 2-3 times /week, Kananaskis and the Rockies/BC occasionally)- I was very impressed with the precise handling of this bike and the way it felt secure on slippery traverses. I found the stock tires had low rolling resistance on pavement but side slipped around alot on the trail so I took the advice of others on this site and traded them in for some knobier rubber. The bike climbs reaally nice - though I'm not a big guy (155 lbs), I have found that I have'nt used the lockout much at all. I rarely note any bobbing while climbing or on stand ups. I'm not a racer but I like a bike to be light, quick and responsive and this one takes off like a rocket. It has a hard tail feel like my old bike ( Trek 6000) but alot easier on my aging 50+ old back. I found that the really bone rattling stuff - where I was pretty much forced to stand on the peddles and wait - could now be powered through effeciently with the supension system. The folks at Red Bike did a great job setting it up for me and even noted the cable pull problem on the lefty and did a great job of minimizing it (for those that think the lefty pulls left-check your cables. I also really like the light front fork and find I am riding it up over alot of logs and rocks that I would not have tackled on my 6 yr old Trek 6000. No worries on the lefty balance issue - just get on it and forget it, all you notice is the nice steering performance. This is a pretty big jump in Technology (and price) for me but I am really happy with this purchase. If you like a fast ride with control and long ride comfort at a reasonable price ($2125 CAN for a bike is still alot to me !) - the F800 is the way to go. I'm not a "thrasher" so I can't comment on how hard you can drive this into a tree or off a cliff and come up laughing.

p.s. If you store your bike on a 10 ft high garage ceiling hook - this is one suspension bike you can get up there without going on roids.

Weaknesses:    I traded the really hard seat in for a gel ergo one but its still not great as it has a kinda cheap synthetic finish, very comfortable on the bones but I slip around on it too much. Still looking for light ergo seat with a good suede finish. I like Trek for half decent stock seats - take a hint Cannondale.

Bottom Line:
Best value for this level of Technology that I could find - Excellent performance for Cross country and single track trials. Love it - buy one !

Purchased At:   Red Bike - Edmonton

Similar Products Used:   Tried Trek Liquid 10 , Cannodale F600, Trek Fuel 98 - I found the Liquid 10 was all over the place on single track - I felt like I was pulling a trailer in a wind storm. I really liked the Fuel 98 suspension bike - light and quick handling, but it was alot more cash, did not have disk brakes, and had a heavier front fork compared to the lefty. It was a close second for me and for someone that races a bit the Trek 98 may be the way to go. The F600 mainly just felt a bit too heavy to me but I'm used to a lighter hard tail bike, the F800 was a more reasonable weight sacrifice vrs cost.

Bike Setup:   EA50 Handlebar, FOX-Float rear shock c lock out, XT Rear D, Front Deore D, XT Cranks, IRC Trailmaster 2.25s, Hayes Disc, Bikemate ergo gel Seat -A temporary measure.

Submitted by Chris Vandivere a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    Note ... this is for the 2004 Sobe edition.
Frame geometry, weight, Lefty, AWESOME performance. This bike far exceeds my expectations, I spent 3 days in Moab on it and spent less money than anyone else in my group on broken parts, even after 2 endos. The bike is very responsive and gives plenty of warning if you are out beyond its limits or your limits. In other words the endo's were my fault ... not the bike's.

Weaknesses:    Seat, Tires. The seat is ok for the first 3 hours ... after that it SUCKS. Scorpions are good tires .... just not for slickrock, I tore them up over a 3 day period.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks ... just get a new seat if you are going to spend any time on it.

Favorite Trail:   Amassa Back (moab)

Purchased At:   Bike Lane - Houston

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Apex SE (hardtail), Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Trek Fuel, Trek Liquid, Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Stock + salsa seatclamp :) & cateye cordless 7 - yes it will mount to the lefty

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat, feels stable on descents, feels fast on flats, suspension is so efficient.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of one.

Bottom Line:
This bike is set up sweet and rides even more sweet. It climbs better than any bike i've ever ridden (even hardtails) and descends like a dream. It feels fast and stable and is the bomb ;)

Favorite Trail:   Bear Pin at Snowshoe WV

Purchased At:   warranty frame built it myself

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Giant XTC SE1, GT Zaskar, KHS Tru Temper,
Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp FS and Myata Elevation 150.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel Frame, Cane Creek Double XC headset, Fox Float 100RLC, FSA Carbon Pro Crankset, Eggbeater S pedals, Chris King wheelset built on mavic 317's, Magura Marta Disc Brakes, Sram X.0 shifters and derailleur, selle italia slr saddle, thomson post and Easton CT-2 Bar.

Submitted by dave sarge a Weekend Warrior from middletown, pa

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Lefty Fork (is it still a fork when it has only one leg?), Lock Outs!, Awesome handling frame, Fox RL (even if it has mixed reviews)

Weaknesses:    Saddle a little uncomforatble on longer rides, A wierd creaking noise when you begin peddling hard, Cable routing (aka rubbin), No patch kit + Thin tubes with no protection to thorns = carrying the bike 2 miles off the trail, I know its my fault but a kevler bed would be nice for nearly $2000.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike everyday riding to class at college and then about 3-4 times a week I go hit some trails or freeride around school. This bike handles great and doesn't hesitate jumping 5 feet+ off a set of stairs. I found that the cables rub the frame in certain spots and I had to put some moleskin on them which isn't a big deal but I have to keep an eye on it anyway. The lock outs are great for transitional biking across different terrian. I will say though they are not neccesary because the slight bobbing doesn't really effect me at all, it helps on hills keeping you grounded.
The creaking noise isn't constant and only seems to make it when I am really hauling on the pedals at when first starting out.
This bike was the best for what I paid. I researched alot for this purcahse of my "all purpose" mountain bike. Being a college student I have little money so I can't afford a X county bike, and a freeride. With Cannondale's service and reliability you can't go wrong. The bike handles great other than the lefty pulling to the side, but not a problem when riding through the hills or jumping off of things.
I am completely happy with my purchase and wouldn't even think about changing it. 5 Chilis for a flaming red hot bike!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere...make one!

Purchased At:   In Gear Cycle and Fitness