Cannondale Jekyll 600 2003 Full Suspension

4.63/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by Joel Bateman a Cross Country Rider from Manteo, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame that can take just about anything you can dish out. Laterally stiff and responsive. The Jekyll gives you the versatility to just about anywhere.

Weaknesses:    None so far!!

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike in Colorado, West Virginia, Virginia, and all over North Carolina. I am a 200+ lb rider and this bike has never let me down. It climbs like a dream and descends even better. Cannondale....The best bikes built....EVER!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bicycle Post Trails(Greenville NC)

Purchased At:   Bicycle Post

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare.

Bike Setup:   2004 Jekyll 600. XT derailers,XT hubs, Mavic 117 disc rims, Avid BB7 disc brakes, Truvativ Fire cranks, Manitou Black Elite forks,Hutchinson scorpion tires, Cannondale stem,bars.

Submitted by Brandon Doza a Cross Country Rider from Breckenridge, CO

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    I've had this bike for 2 years now, and I still love it. Trail bikes now have 6 inches of travel, but I still rip past them on my 3.5 inch jekyll. Love the Lefty. Light quick and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None really. I might have to have the rear shock and the lefty serviced, but after 2 years of pretty hard riding thats to be expected.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. Couldn't ask for anything more. I had some qualms when I first got it about componentry. I've taken care of all that though. Got rid of the mechanical disc brakes and upgraded to Hayes hydraulic. New saddle, riser bar, new tires, grips, full XT (stock setup was weak), egg beaters. Just changed all the cables, chain, cassette, new rotors and pads. It's ready for anything.

Favorite Trail:   Peaks Trail

Purchased At:   River Front Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 900, GT ricochet, many others

Bike Setup:   add-ons

Submitted by Adam geoffroy a Downhiller from belchertown Ma U.S

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Good Bike

Weaknesses:    Was a rental,so rims a little bent, but nothing big

Bottom Line:
Good Bike for the price i got it at. not sure what came sock on it for them but it came great stock for me. Buy if you like a bike thats willing to hit thoses 4 foot drops on the trails and is not having you worry about it.

Favorite Trail:   steep one

Purchased At:   Killinton VT

Submitted by Hesler Acevedo a Weekend Warrior from Guatemala, Guatemala

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    Very good suspension. Feels very light even when it is about 29 pounds. I do really enjoy long rides (35-50miles) and it works awesome.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is very uncomfortable for my riding style, the tires are not good and the handlebar is too flat.

Bottom Line:
Very good bike for $1600. I do really enjoy it, I've raced some adventure races and it works really good.

Purchased At:   Gregs cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant warp, Giant NRS, Specialized stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Changed the tires for hutchinson alligator gold, excellents for Guatemalan rides,Prolink Trans Am Saddle.

Submitted by Brandon Doza a Cross Country Rider from Lansing, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome suspension. The lefty fork is great. Very light bike. I feel very centered when on the bike, like my wieght is evenly distributed between front and back. Suspension eats up rock gardens, stumps, roots, and handles 5 foot drops no problem. I haven't found anything on my rides it won't handle. Takes a beating and keeps on going. Climbs extremely well even without the suspension locked-out.

Weaknesses:    Tires suck. For $1500 give me some good TUBELESS all conditions tires. Saddle is a little un-comfortable. Handle bars are straight, I feel like I'm leaning forward while sitting in the saddle. All this stuff can be fixed with some simple upgrades. The frame is what matters and I wouldn't change a thing there.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Beat out bikes I test road that cost a $1,000 more. It'll take just about everything you throw at it. If your into multiple types of riding, x-country, downhill, weekend racing, whatever, this could just be the one bike you need to enjoy them all.

Favorite Trail:   Burchfield Run

Purchased At:   Riverview Cycle

Similar Products Used:   I've owned:Trek single track 900, Giant NRS, GT ricochet, all really nice bikes but the jekyll beats them all.
Before buying the jekyll I test rode: Gary Fischer cake 2, Giant trance, Giant reign 3, cannondale prophet 800, specialized ? can't remember the name, Kona dawg, Trek ? can't remember. The jekyll just felt so naturally balanced with the way I ride. I'm 5'10" 160lbs and ride pretty aggresively.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for egg beaters. Plan on getting new tires, handle bars, and saddle.

Submitted by Robert Craven a Cross Country Rider from Woodinville, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great suspension, both front and rear with lefty jake, im a big guy at 215 and the bike handles it like im 160. the components are worthy, and the geometry rules with a little work. awsome tires and mostly avid mechs are cooler than most hydraulic disc brakes ive tried

Weaknesses:    Flat handlebars? not the best idea with that much suspension, no front wheel removal so top of car racks will be problematic, had creaing noises from the pivot joint but that was fixed without fuss by the shop(the pivot wasn't properly greased)

Bottom Line:
a grat bike even if you dont consider the great price

Favorite Trail:   Devils Gulch

Purchased At:   Montlake bikes in kirkland

Similar Products Used:   klein palomino, kona bear, gary fisher cake and sugar, giant ac2 and a whole bunch more

Bike Setup:   specialized 2 inch rise enduro handlebars, cane creek grips, race face bash ring xt rear and front.

Submitted by Lisa a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort and ease of use

Weaknesses:    Shock Adjustments

Bottom Line:
The Jake Fork is Great, althogh once dialed in, a hassle to adjust (you really don't need to, though). This is a plush comfort machine! It's easy on the back and bones, It's like riding a beach cruiser! Great value and performance, although you do pay a little more for the Cannondale name.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills

Similar Products Used:   C-dale Super V 500, Kona Dawg, Specalized, Jamis

Bike Setup:   Stock with 2004 XT Shift/Brake Levers

Submitted by Sebastian a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    Light for full suspension, great fork, lockout is VERY usefull, very plush, easy to use and set-up .

Weaknesses:    hardley a weakness but the front fork doesnt have lock-out.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the buck!!! Through on some fatboy slick tires, and the thing FLEW. HIT 45 no prob. Lock out is necessary to have for up hill - down hill rides. This bike is easy to use, so far i have had no maintanence problems. This bike is fully adjustable, one can lenghthen and shorten rear and front suspension. *******IF YOU ARE A CROSS COUNTRY RIDER THIS IS YOUR BIKE. This bike is great for downhill, and becuase of lockout great for up hill! The JEKYLL 600 also fits the needs of a down hill and freestyle biker. >>>>>>>

Purchased At:   Bikeway

Similar Products Used:   NRS 1, NRS 2, GT Aggressor

Bike Setup:   Didn't get it with lefty shock, came with MANITOU BLACK elite fork, Specialized Fatboy slick tires.

Submitted by Glen a Weekend Warrior from Lansdale, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    The lockout capability on the shocks comes in handy occasionally. The rebound adjustment is a nice feature.

Weaknesses:    The cable routing on this bike is CRIMINAL. Every time I ride in mud, the brake cable loads up inside the housing (which isn't routed across the top like every decent bike on the market) and the brakes stop retracting. I took it into the C-dale store I bought it from and they said "crummy design" and replaced the brake line. I rode two weeks and it was already trashed again (which the mechanic predicted). I showed it to an engineer who used to work at Trek and he said "you're screwed - that cable routing is basically unsound. You might as well switch to hydraulic discs". I rode with no rear brake for a while and contacted Cannondale to inquire as to their suggestion. I got a rude email that said "There is nothing wrong with your bike - the cable routing is fine. Maybe some pieces got left off your bike at the factory. The bike store you bought it at should be able to fix it" They didn't want to help at all. I went to a different C-dale shop and asked if they thought there were any shields or o-rings missing (the guy at C-dale didn't specify what the "pieces" might be). He said "no", and said that the design sucks and that I'm basically screwed. After much thought, he said he could make major changes to the bike and fix it but it would be more than a $100. I did it, but I sure am unimpressed with C-dale!

Bottom Line:
C-dale doesn't stand behind their products. Their tech support people are rude and unhelpful. They clearly don't need my business, so I doubt they need yours. I bought the bike because of the company's great reputation - I don't think they are living up to that reputation anymore. They are yet another American company that has gotten so much ego that they are giving their business away to foreign companies that are more customer-focused. It is sad.

Purchased At:   C-dale retailer

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock

Submitted by james a Racer from Bentonville, Arkansas, USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    the lefty fork is amazing my wheel is terribly out of true right now and it doesnt effect my sterring at all. i like the rear lock out which greatly improves climbing ability if its not too rocky. both shocks are very plush. the disc brakes are great in any condition and have better stoping power than normal v-brakes. the seat is very comfortable

Weaknesses:    the seat post is a big problem because mine keeps coming loose but lock-tite works for a while. also i didnt like the stock clips. the Hutchinson tries are not that great.

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike. it handles great and is very comfortable no matter what you ride. is great for X-country and will also handle small drops like champ. but you need to check with your local dealers and see if they can true a lefty fork.

Purchased At:   Performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Moab

Bike Setup:   egg beaters for clips, and the tires off my old bike, new cables

Submitted by Scott Shalles a Racer from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    It's a very solid bike. The Lefty fork is amazing, there is no flex whatsoever. It really helps make the bike handle well in corners and in the rough stuff. The Jeckly also climbs well for a full suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    The straight handlebars have to go. I upgraded to Easton 1'" inch rise Monkey bars. Also, the Hutchinson Scorpion tires didn't work well for my riding conditions.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It takes anything I throw at it while freeriding and it's a pretty decent cross country bike too. It's comparable to bikes in the $2000 range. Nothing in it's price category beats it.

Favorite Trail:   Bar H (St. Jo, Texas)

Purchased At:   Wheels In Motion (Dallas)

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Gary Fischer Sugar, Santa Cruz Super Light, Specialized Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Changed handlebars to Easton Monkey Bars, upgraded pedals to Egg Beaters and switched out tires.

Submitted by Jeffrey Meyer a Cross Country Rider from Bear

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth Ride, Lefty Jake and Fox Float, Handles tightly, Medium weight, Great brakes, Tough Bike, Good Quality, Great for add-ons

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson Scorpion Tires, Tough Seat, Brake Lever Clicks

Bottom Line:
This is my first year racing X-country and I am glad the Jekyll 600 was the bike i started out on. It handles everything that can be called cross country riding and some minor DH also along with some jumping. Its always a smooth ride, fairly efficient, mediumish weight, and its great and easy to upgrade. I believe i got my complete moneys worth with this bike, no regrets, very satisfied.

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper, Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Specialized roll-X, Avid Speed Dial 7, Specialized Durango Grips, Race Face BB

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from United States

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, Lefty DLR, Avid Disc, Lockout Front and Rear, Rear Wheel Travel

Weaknesses:    None noticed.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I started off a two hundred plus pound rider, this bike has done everything I have asked it to do and absorbed many technique errors on my part. Exception is the time I bent the front wheel. My fault not the equipment. The Lefty DLR shock is a great ride. I understand the internal design and it is a superior design. Climbs like a mountain goat even with the lockout disengaged. (Cannondale has a great product, made here, and when it becomes available to copy the internal design of the Head Shock and Lefty, you may see the application on many other bikes)

Favorite Trail:   Thankful to Ride

Purchased At:   North East Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90,Giant,Sugar and many more. Rode many great bikes and settled for the one that fit and felt the best for me.

Bike Setup:   All Stock, just as the bike came.

Submitted by Chrispy a Weekend Warrior from Fort Walton Beach FL USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Strengths:    Very solid feeling. It takes the abuse that I throw at it. Even takes the abuse from me when I fall on my butt. It climbs very well. The way mine is set up, I can whip though the trails quickly. I can turn on a dime. My old bike made me feel topheavy. The lefty is a conversation piece.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot of weakness for the money.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. I feel *quality* when I ride it. I am not afraid of breaking it. Some bikes feel cheap when you ride them. Not this one.

If you have $1500 and you want an awesome bike that is comfortable, raceworthy and built with integrity, this is a way to go. I have a few bikes but I ride this the most.

Favorite Trail:   UWF