Cannondale Jekyll 500 2003 Full Suspension

4.55/5 (33 Reviews)

Submitted by Mickey a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Rides over everything; climbs great; super used-bike bargain.

Weaknesses:    factory Manitou Black fork

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll is a great all-mountain ride. Switched out the Manitou for a Fox immediately and had the factory Fox Float L customed tuned to my riding style/weight by Push Industries. These two upgrades created the best riding mountain bike I've ever had.

This thing soaks up whatever you through at it. I'm not dropping off 10-footers or riding high in the Vancouver trees, but for the rocky, rooty trails of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, this bike is perfect. Just the right amount of travel for comfortable all-mountain riding. If you're a downhill xtreme rider--don't buy it. If you are a low weight cross-country junkie--don't buy it. But, if you are like most of us and ride a variety of trails and need a bike that does almost everthing great--BUY THIS BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer, Cannondale Prophet, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Double crank w/ bashguard, SRAM X-7 derailleurs & triggers, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Panaracer Cinder 2.25 tires, Fox Float L Rear shock, custom tuned by Push Industries, Fox Vanilla R suspension fork

Submitted by Aaron Heirtzler a Weekend Warrior from Durango, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Nice frame, plush suspension, adjustable geomotry, Cannondale

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up "barely used" from a guy heading home to Europe. Very glad I did. This bike is great. I used to ride a Cannondale hard tail and always thought that Cannondale built a quality product. It is a little heavier than my '02 Element, but I am getting more travel so I'll take the few extra pounds. It climbs nice and I haven't noticed any bob. On the way down, the bike is plush and just a joy to ride. The components on the 500 are not great, but it allows me to upgrade the bike how I want. So far the Avid mechanical disc brakes and Fox fork have made a huge difference already. Bottom line, very fun bike to ride and I will be riding this frame for quite some time.

Favorite Trail:   Horse Gulch/Test Track

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid Mechanicals and a Fox Vanilla 130mm Fork

Submitted by Pete Manning a Cross Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Absolutely the finest frame design in strength and function.

Weaknesses:    I can't even critisize it!

Bottom Line:
After cycling nearly 10,000 miles since I purchased this bicycle, I believe it has spoken for itself! I came into the purchase only because I previously owned a Cannondale and was very pleased with it. It had been stolen from me before I could really determine its true potential. This is a light weight, very strong bicycle that if well maintained should last many years. I believe it will be back.

Favorite Trail:   Monon

Purchased At:   Cash America Pawn

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 900

Bike Setup:   As purchased...Shimano Deore Drivetrain

Submitted by mark richardson a Weekend Warrior from bovey tracey

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    very light very strong

Weaknesses:    hard to get parts or chane like the forks are headshock size(1/5th????) have to buy a seperate adaptor

Bottom Line:
i think this bike is an amazing bike the only thing i dont actually like about it is how the forks look.(bit ugly cannondale)

Favorite Trail:   monkey bumps

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   stock except tyres(tioga factory DH)

Submitted by PizzaFiend a Weekend Warrior from Sturgeon Bay

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    FS frame with adjustable geometry

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new because it was a great deal on a full suspension ride and seemed to be very versatile as far as setup and upgrades go. The components may not live up to some rider's standards, but they are more than adequate for me to start with, and function perfectly. I've read some reviewer's complaints of the seat, but I find it perfectly comfortable on two hour rides - a seat's a pretty personal choice anyway, right? I weigh in at about 185lbs., so the suspension was perfect once I set the sag on the rear. I can lock out the rear shock and change the fork travel from 120mm to 100mm (which adds stiffness) on the fly, so changing from "bike path" to singletrack or visa-versa is a snap. I absolutely love this bike! I'm going to upgrade this bike as my needs and wallet see fit. If you're more comfortable than I am shelling out a lot more cash up front and are a component-envy freak, maybe this bike isn't for you. If you're new to the sport and want a good full suspension bike, I recommend it highly.

Purchased At:   Stadium Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized RockHopper(rigid), Klein Palamino Race w/Marzocchi forks and Hayes Hyd. front brake

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Emilio Fernandez a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,CA,US

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    The Frame Geometry, weight, full suspension MTB,

Bottom Line:
I really like the Jekyll geometry, I updated to better components, and it is lighter.
It is a great bike for XC and Downhill, I just change tires to WTB Motoraptor Laser 26 x 2.4 and that is it.
I recomend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   H canyons Chula Vista

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT ONE, Giant NRS 3

Bike Setup:   Handlebar Easton carbon Monkey XC, Avid disc brakes, LX shifters, XT front deraulier, egg beater pedals, remote lock out, Cossland Mavis tubless Wheels.

Submitted by Taso a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, fork

Weaknesses:    Weight, components.

Bottom Line:
First thing I did with this bike when I bought it was I got rid of every component on the bike minus the front derailleur. The fork that was on there was actually pretty nice. I liked it. But the FOX TALAS I had was nicer. So the "black" had to go.
So the review is mostly about the frame. And what a frame it is. Only weakness it has is it’s a little on the heavy side, but with the choice of components, the bike weighs in at 26 lbs. The geometry is perfect, everything really is perfect, bike is a lot of fun to ride, and very comfortable as well, which was the idea when I built it up, because when you're out on that long a$$ ride, around the 6th hour or so the difference is obviously noticeable, and you body is thankful. To sum it all up, performs like a Porsche, but comfortable like a Rolls.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Perfomance (store was closing)

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Outland, Trek 8900

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RL Fork, EC90, Ritchey WCS stem/post, Terry fly saddle, XT drive train, XTR Shifter/Brake levers, Bontrager Racelite Wheels/King hubs, AVID SD7 brakes.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    Frame has a really sweet geometry with invisible welds (extra attention spent on that when manufactured). Decent front and rear suspension. Front is a Manitou Black Comp 100/120 (120mm travel and rear is a Fox Float L. I'm about 150lbs so no complaints there plus they are both lockable which is just plain great! I had the bike in storage over the winter (Nov-March) and didn't lose any air in the rear shock whatsoever which I thought was incredible.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle had to go when I bought the bike - what a cheappo! Definitely baaaad components also! Had to change the free hub (on the back wheel) after couple months of riding (cassette wasnt'running freely anymore). Just recently had to change the BB (bottom bracket) due to an awful creaking noise (when I took it out it didn't even have any markings on it as to what brand it was - plain junk!). Cheap Shimano 440 crank but I can live with it for now I guess. Cheap cage pedals - upgraded them to clipless right away anyways. Cheap stock brakes which started squealing right away so I upgraded to Avid mechanical disc brakes - best upgrade so far! Brake and shifter cables are running down the bottom frame tube so the mud thrown from the front wheel gets caked up all over the cables. I'm really having a problem with that as I had to change those cables three times so far. I had the dealer put in rubber caps at the end of each housing on there to prevent mud getting inside which seems to be helping now but that setup is definitely a flaw. You gotta run cables down the top horizontal tube so they are out of the mud-zone! Also, the rear brake cable flow is goofy and it's rubbing into the bottom corner of the frame with the rear swingarm motion. Also getting mud stuck in there makes it worse. Stock tires seem to shed off the mud very well but their grip especially on uphills when you really need it is poor.

Bottom Line:
The bike frame geometry is really cool (fairly heavy frame though) and the stock suspension works good for me but other components are all cheap and crappy so be ready to replace and upgrade in the process.
I've put about 150 miles or so on the bike so far and plan on putting many many more. My next upgrade is a quality set of tires, the crank and a new set of lightweight wheels

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood Acres in Pittsburgh

Purchased At:   Gatto Cycles in Wexford

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder

Bike Setup:   Avid machanical disc brakes, hellbent 26" handlebars, bar ends, Telluride saddle, XT skewers, clipless pedals.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    Good price for a FS bike, made in the U.S.A., Frame geometry is sweet and strong. Adjustable suspension front and rear is a big plus.

Weaknesses:    The components suck. The pedals, cranks and bb, brakes, seat, and wheel set are pretty low quality, but the price is right so I cant complain that much.

Bottom Line:
The bike is pretty solid. For what I paid I was happy with how it preformed stock. I knew the components werent the greatest when I bought it,(one of the reasons the price was so good), but I was planning on upgrading most of them anyway. Even after upgrading to the components that I want im still way under the price of a Jekkyl 800 and I have the parts that I like.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F800, GT, S&M.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 500

Submitted by Timur Jurkashev a Weekend Warrior from Kazakstan, Celestial Mountains

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    Frame design - easy to serve, no FSR's creaks
1-1/8' standard - you can use other fork than Headshock

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, really heavy

Bottom Line:
Bike's weight is about 30 lbs. - a little heavy for "all-mountain" bike (do not ask what does it mean, just take a ride in mountains). Bike is not racing XC or DH machine, just good climber, stable on descents. And I did not break it yet like Scott, even we have same weight and riding styles. I ride my Attitude Klein more frequently, but for all-day-epic-technical-ride (geez, plain ads terms here) I will take Jekyll.

Favorite Trail:   all day thru 2 passes over 11.000 foots

Purchased At:   ordered from USA - not cheap

Similar Products Used:   Spec. Stumpjumper FSR 99', Enduro Comp 02'

Bike Setup:   RS Plyso SL, Sun-Rhyno Singletrack/Shimano XT hubs wheelset, Shimano XT disk brakes, Answer Protaper handlebar, Pazzaz steam, Shimano LX crankset/BB, Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle, IRC Mythos tires ...
Original are ony frame-shock-headset, Deore shifters, derailleurs, seatpost.

Submitted by John from Lake Stevens WA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Strengths:    susp. travel, price

Weaknesses:    seat, brakes, pedals, BB

Bottom Line:
The test ride was great, but it was a bit soft up front for my size(6'3", 260lbs). I don't like Fattys (at least in forks!) so the Manitou made it desireable. Once I upgraded the fork spring to an x-firm ($20) it felt more balanced, yet I am still using most of the 120mm. And the 100mm preload lever eliminates most bobbing with the stiffy in for climbs, so I won't be tempted to buy the lockout retrofit. (DON'T get the x-firm unless you are 250+, my scrawnyass friends hate it.)

The seat and tires came from my old ride, the Hutchisons just didn't look beefy enough and the 'dillos are pretty much bombproof. Due to budget constraints I have deferred the necessary brake and BB upgrades until I wear the originals out. (Hey, I just upgraded from cantilevers, so these are an improvement.) The rear installation is too much in the way, seems like I am always banging into it no matter how I route the cable. The BB has just started creaking a bit on the last ride (about 250 miles so far, most off road).

Overall it's a great ride. When I do pop outta the woods for a road ride home, the rear lockout and front shock preload make it feel almost just like my old c-dale hard tail (a compliment).

Saw the 2004 lineup at the LBS yesterday. The 600 disc version has Avid discs, nice tires, Truvativ BB/crank, and an RL shock (rebound damping adjustable) and the seat looks nicer-- but it's $1500+. The new 400 has the RL but also a lower quality fork and other stuff ($1049). Find a deal on an '03 500 like I did and customize your upgrades for less, as the pocket allows.

My first Gulch dh ride with it, I felt less confident, but my fellow riders pointed out that I was going about 40% faster, so that's a given. 4 jalapenos overall because of the needed upgrades... but I knew that going in.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Gulch

Similar Products Used:   First FS-- This replaced my 13 yr old c-dale w/early Manitou fork.

Bike Setup:   Specialized seat, Specialized Armadillo tires

Submitted by Andy Moore a Weekend Warrior from York, UK

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    frame geometry, colour, wheels, headshok - not necessarily in that order

Weaknesses:    pedals, brakes, tryes (good but really soft compound - had tom replace within 2 months use), handlebars, seat

Bottom Line:
This bike is ace. I have added a second comment (earlier one up the list). This bike is treated me well even when having a go at freeride sort of riding. the tracking when xcing is fantastic. The only possible big upgrade I am thinking about is some marz z1 mx comp fork upgrades. To see some pics of our rides and check out the bike setup go to - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoore.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Boneshakers

Similar Products Used:   Spec Enduro comp, giant ac1

Bike Setup:   easton bars, tima tac pedals, panaracer fire xc pro tyres, spec body geometry sport saddle, raceface prodigy dh cranks, remore lockout kit, hope minis

Submitted by Terence a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Suspension, Strength of Frame,

Weaknesses:    Saddle has to go!

Bottom Line:
I am no where near the caliber of some, I am just a guy who loves riding, before buying, I must've tried everything under the sun, but has soon as I got my butt onto this bike I felt great, very solid feel. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for something that'll last, the only negative is the saddle, it was a bit hard!
Gotta go!

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Avid Disk Brakes, Thompson Seatpost and Stem, Easton riser handlebar, XTR Frt & Rear, Terry Saddle

Submitted by Matt Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Avondale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    The biggest strength is the suspension package. The Jekyll 500 comes with 120mm's of travel in the front and 4 1/2" in the rear. The rear shock allows a quick change from the torque you get from a hardtail to the comfort you get from a softtail. I'm a big guy (6'2" 230lbs) and the suspension delivers everytime.

Weaknesses:    The weight. The frame is solid, the suspension is solid, but in doing so Cannondale made this bike a little on heavy side.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's a solid value for the money. I wouldn't recommend it for competitive racing, but for a bike that is going to keep coming back for more this bike is the one.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic