Cannondale Jekyll 2000 2003 Full Suspension

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by steve from Fayetteville Arkansas

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    The Jekyll 2000 has great rear traval. Plus the bike looks really cool.

Weaknesses:    The Bike is a little heavy from what i am used to.

Bottom Line:
This bike is Perfect for Heavy riding when i go Biking. I adore this bike. I would suggest that you look around for a good deal because these bikes can get a little bit pricey.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado trail

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Nrs Air

Submitted by bryan peck a Weekend Warrior from denver co

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    plush ride, aim and shoot, the lefty has yet to fail me, it's adjustable but i never change it

Weaknesses:    rear shock (fox float rc) has been rebuilt 2 times now. I'd like to swap it out for something new.

Bottom Line:
this has been a great ride for 3 years now, raced only a few times but ridden hard. great in the big rock sections, i can out climb everyone i have come across in the technical sections, lock it up and i can climb well in the mtn sections, bomb down hill with the plush rear, and point and shoot with the lefty. best front fork on the ma

Favorite Trail:   mt falcon

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   cad3 hard tail, trek 5000, intense tracer, santa cruz sup light,

Bike Setup:   xtr and xt, hayes brakes, sun rims, coda hubs

Submitted by Jerry a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Plush do it all bike. Stiff. Sexy in a manly way. Smooth. Excellent drivetrain. Climbs well for a non stable platform full suspension. Too bad I missed the spv in the 2004 model year but the Fox RL is good too. Lefty rocks (all of them). I like the Hutchinsons on mountain trails, they're really good in the corners.

Weaknesses:    New XTR hard to get used to. Switched out the stem, bars and seat post before buying it. Disc brakes squeal badly.
Lots of $$$$. I would have expected a couple of pounds lighter. People can't seem to fathom the lefty. Get used to it! It kicks butt!!

Bottom Line:
Haven't made it to the mountains yet but I can tell it's going to work quite well. I'm switching out some parts to lighten it up some more. The parts I change out go on the wifes F800. This is a large and my Jekyl 1000 was a medium. Huge difference in size. I'm 5'11" so I'm at the cross over height and I kind of wish I had stayed with a medium. I've ridden all hard tails before buying my Jekyl 1000 (2001). I was so happy with the 1000 that I decided to upgrade several years early. Past bike are Rocky Mountain (Equipe, Vertex, 3 altitudes), Kona Hei Hei, DeKerf Generation. Cannondale makes a wicked ride.

Purchased At:   Rivervalley Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Jekyl 1000

Bike Setup:   Factory specs (XT/XTR with some Cannondale stuff) Lefty Max.

Submitted by Bob Birmingham a Cross Country Rider from Belle Mead, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2004

Strengths:    Updated - Now that I'm used to it, it climbs great! It tracks awesome, and it feels really sure-footed on downhill and really rough terrain. We ride lots of rocky, technical terrain, and this bike just eats it up!

Weaknesses:    In 3 letters: X T R. I can't tell you how DISAPPOINTED I am at the flimsiness of the XTR derailleur and cassette... Under NORMAL to LIGHT riding conditions I have busted one cassette and 2 derailleurs. After the 2nd derailleur, Shimano didn't want to know me!!! (That stinks!!) So I downgraded to a 2004 low-normal XT derailleur with a short cage... I am sure this will far outlast the XTR derailleur. Also, I am disappointed with the new XTR brake/shifter combo.... I just couldn't get used to it, and decided to switch to the familiar XT rapidfire and hydraulic brake levers... Not everybody agrees, but I gave it a shot, and am convinced the thumbshifters are better for me....

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll's legend ain't just hype... It's for real. The bike just plain performs at a superior level. The XTR debacle has left me broke and discouraged, and Shimano sucks for not honoring their warranty.... But I am comfortable knowing I have made the switch back to XT.
I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Wawayanda (Northern NJ)

Purchased At:   Bike 'N Gear - Somerset, NJ (great dealer)

Bike Setup:   2003 Jekyll 2000 with 2004 Fox Float RL ProPedal shock. Upgraded Lefty Max fork to heavy duty, Clydesdale-class spring. Dumped the Hutchinson Python tires for Panaracer USTs... love em. Cut down the bars from a ridiculous 28 inches to 23... I couldn't get through the trees!!! Now I have XT derailleur, and am swapping out the XTR shifter/brakes for good 'ole XT rapidfires and XT hydro brake levers.

Submitted by Bob Birmingham a Cross Country Rider from Belle Mead, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Plush, yet nimble ride. Lefty fork tracks with precision. Great looking finish and componentry. Beautiful simplicity (in a single-pivot frame), yet tricked out adjustability in the frame geometry and shock- setting options. XTR components nice touch. LOVE the XT cranks. Awesome paint job and finish... (I hate to abuse it like I do....) Can ride it all day without getting worn-out.. I can't wait to race it (in a few weeks)... will report back.

Weaknesses:    XTR components, although top-of-the-line attention grabbers, overrated and not as durable as I would expect....XTR cassette is weak... broke after 2 months... Cannondale IS replacing it, no problem. Jury still out on the XTR shifter/brake combo... I've bashed them twice on 2 serious beefs and weakened the plastic housing... but hey.... beefs are expected.... I'm expecting the housing to finally break on the next big one... After that, I'm not sure if I'd replace it with another XTR... Way too expensive... may go with 2002 XT pods....we'll see.... Also haven't felt the benefits of tubeless.... yet. I am having some leakage problems, but recently bought Stan's sealant (and will try that out)...

Bottom Line:
Still getting used to the ride... it's VERY plush, but surprisingly agile for a 5-inch travel bike. I love the way it climbs, especially over rough bedrock... just soaks it up.. I can now attack terrain I previously had to cleverly out-maneuver. Have to get used to the front fork and its long travel... I have endoed a few times in unexpected circumstances.... Tried adjusting the frame geometry to FreeRide, but the bottom bracket kept hitting, so I changed back to XC (max clearance). So need to get used to the fork and the XC geometry (to stop endo-ing). I got a great deal on the bike, so I am ecstatic about it... I no longer suffer from bike-envy (except when I run into the occasional Ellsworth...)

Favorite Trail:   Wawayanda (Northern NJ)

Purchased At:   Bike 'N Gear - Somerset, NJ (great dealer)

Similar Products Used:   None... First-timer on a Cannondale...and loving it. Also ride a Giant XTC NRS1, which is also a sweet ride, but can't maneuver some of the heavy terrain the Jekyll can...

Bike Setup:   Stock factory setup, except run Panaracer tubeless (instead of the POS Hutchinsons). Also cut down the bars (ridiculously wide at 28 inches... ) to 23 inches... more like it. Added strongest spring to the Lefty Max fork to accommodate my weight (220 lbs)... Rear shock is this year's Fox Float Pro Pedal... which I really like

Submitted by andy goodwin a Weekend Warrior from southampton, england

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    Fantastic trail bike, good value, 03 XTR is excellent, looks fantastic, new left max is much better than left dlr on my F800- very plush. lifetime frame garantee+ crash replacement policy.

Weaknesses:    Not the best climber. Standard vro combo stem and bars are rubbish- i had the shop swap them. Tyres ars not the best in the wet. Remote lockout is not reliable- i had the shop remove it after my test ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike is excellent, but it has a lot of travel so if your coming from a hardtail you'd be better off at a shorter travel bike. Its not the best climber out there but stay seated and its fine. It also weighs only 27lbs without pedals which is gd for a bike with 5 inches of travel. On the descents this bike rules- it holds its line better than any other bike ive ridden.

Favorite Trail:   wharncliff woods

Purchased At:   leisure lakes, notts

Similar Products Used:   Gt i-drive 2.0, specialised epic and enduro, 2001 and 2002 jekyll 3000.

Bike Setup:   standard except coda stem and easton carbon bars.

Submitted by Maniac a Cross Country Rider from Sebastopol, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    Unique looking, adjustable geometry

Weaknesses:    Shock mount, stock wheels, seat and the stem/handlebar combo

Bottom Line:
This bike is highly overrated! Especially if you're a larger person. I'm 6'1",weigh 205 and I have to pump up the rear shock to almost 300 psi to keep it from feeling like I'm riding a bed spring. Three months after I bought it the trunnion the shock threads into started sliding laterally in the aluminum spars. C-dale said this is to relieve side loading stress, but it causes drivetrain mis-alignment so the bike has ALWAYS shifted like crap. Now the mounting holes in the swingarm for the shock have become ovalized and the rear end clunks all the time (yes I replaced the aluminum bushings in the Fox shock and it didn't help). The Lefty fork has worked well for me but it tops out when you pull up an the bars and make a clunking sound.
In the first 6 months both of the cheap-ass Sun rims that came stock on the bike were destroyed because the nipples had pulled through the rim. Also, the XTR rear derailleur had a bad pivot spring from the factory so the pulley would rub against the cassette. So my nearly 3K bike has cost me almost 1K more in the first year of it's life....I should have bought a custom frame and pieced a decent bike together instead of falling for instant gratification.

Bike Setup:   XTR derailleurs and shifters, Hayes hydraulics, Lefty fork, Crappa eerrr Coda hubs and cranks

Submitted by King Salami a Weekend Warrior from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Light
Stiff
Quick
Relatively plush
Relatively efficient
Very adjustable

Weaknesses:    Price $$, but Cannondale really likes to go with caviar components. Not really applicable to me, though.

Bottom Line:
I got this as a warranty replacement (upgrade for $1150)frame & fork after my trusty old CAAD 3 hardtail died from an ovalized headtube.
I'm very pleased with the rigidity of the frame & fork. No flex whatsoever (I weigh 210 lbs)! This bike is a rockin' XC trail bike. It's a bit harsher & deflects more than a freerider like the Bullit (what a beautiful brute - it'll have you searching for ugly stuff to hit!), but it climbs like a scalded monkey, and is much more managable on 80% of the trails I ride (that go both up & down)! For technical singletrack, this bike is very hard to beat! It's plush enough to suck up the nasties, but light & quick enough to keep you from bobbing all over the place on the uphills & flats. The Lefty Max is a cross country fork with the guts of a freerider - it rocks! It's plush on the little stuff, but can take some pretty mean hits without flinching. I completely love the independent compression & rebound adjustments.
I'm much fresher after a technical 15 mile ride now. Full suspension bikes like this are the reason that the hardtail is going the way of the dodo. I'll never own one again!

Favorite Trail:   Capitol Forest - too many to list!

Purchased At:   Old Town Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit - Woof! This will slay anything in your path!!
Santa Cruz Superlight (demo'd only)
C'dale hardtail w/ Fatty Headshok

Bike Setup:   Jekyll frame & Lefty Max TPC built w/ my old XTR components & Magura Marta discs

Submitted by Chris James a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    - Frame feels incredibly stiff; tubes are chunky and solid looking.
- Remote lockout facility for the rear is a godsend.
- Drive chain was incredibly smooth.
- Don't remember ever hearing any chain or cable slap.
- Very accessible and easy-to-use dial for Lefty rebound adjustment.
- Front end was very light making easy work of manuals and jumps.
- XTR disc brakes were fantastic in the mud and rain.
- Lefty was ultra stiff and very smooth over the bumps.

Weaknesses:    - Switchbacks were a bit of a problem but I was riding a size large - they didn't have a medium.
- Wasn't the easiest bike to load onto my Thule 510 bike carrier with the cables running down the downtube.
- Lefty appeared to "pop out" a little when the front wheel was lifted off the ground. Not sure whether this is normal.
- Lefty rebound control didn't seem to do anything noticeable.
- I thought the remote lockout cable could have been routed better as by the third day it had managed to work its way out of somewhere and was interferring with the operation of the gear levers.

Bottom Line:
- Fantastic does-it-all bike - climbing, jumping, downhilling.
- I rode this bike all day on Saturday in the mud and rain. It was still performing as great at the end of the day as it was at the start. Even when the rear suspension was locked the ride was still very smooth - much to my amazement.
- One of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden.
- Huge grin factor.

Favorite Trail:   Cwm Carn, South Wales

Bike Setup:   XTR 03 disc brakes and rear mech
Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless tyres on Mavic UST

Submitted by Bill D a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    Light for the travel. Tons of adjustability. Sharp Handling. Well spec'd. Beautiful frame. Very trick.

Weaknesses:    Rear lock out is kind of rigged. The lock out already scratched the frame b/c the shock spun in its mount. The spring isn't very strong and it gets jammed. The adjustable handlebar stem is kind of pointless. Stock seat is crap.

Bottom Line:
Third day I had the bike I ended up with a broken collarbone. Today is about the first day I can type. Problem was that I felt too confident. Fell face first off a 5 foot drop in soft dirt. My collarbone landed on the frame, cracked in three places. I had been riding a Trek 8500 for 2 years. This is my first full suspension. I did a lot of research, and narrowed down my choices .. then I test rode EVERYTHING. Nothing felt as good. I'll need a lot more miles before I can give the definitive review. I have had no time to play with the set up. I got it to a good spot and then went out. Got about thirty miles in ... I was doing much wilder stuff than I ever tried on my hardtail. It was just so easy.I should have slowed down, but this bike just felt that good. I bought it for the rocky trails around Boston, but have only ridden on the smooth trails around Dallas. By the time the trails open up back home, my injury should be healed. I'm looking forward to the summer ... I think I'm off of drops for a while. The lefty is fantastic. I haven't experienced any stichion. It does make odd spring noises ... don't know if that is normal. Incredibly stiff.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods, MA