Cannondale Jekyll 1000 2003 Full Suspension

4.61/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by T.Spence a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff front end, plenty of travel. Robust frame (!), easy-to-ride-all-day geometry

Weaknesses:    creaking bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll offers plenty of travel for the not-so-serious rider who enjoys a little comfort over absolute performance. For myself, I hadn't ridden regularly in a few years, and at that it was on a SID-equipped Trek SLR hardtail.

Surprisingly, the Jekyll has proven so far to be resilient, standing up to the punishment of my 240lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Dufferin Bluffs

Purchased At:   locally, used

Bike Setup:   XTR fr/rr derailleurs, SI crank w/ 29/42 rings, XT cassette, SRAM Rocket Shifters, Avid Juicy Seven hydro discs, SI fr/rr hubs, Easton Monkeylite Carbon low rise bar, Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Uzzi a Cross Country Rider from Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    This is a great frame. I’ve ridden it everywhere, in all conditions and haven’t run in to much it can’t handle nicely. With its dual lock-out it can whiz up long ascents and really fly downhill; with its 5"/6" travel suspension. I got the frame as a warranty for my cracked 00' Raven, which supplied most the parts for the build,

Weaknesses:    I have few complains about the frame, other than a squeak in the rear emanating from the BB or maybe the swing arm. The weight is a little much but with decent components, that gets knocked down a little. I’ve raced it a couple times but, wouldn’t recommend it if you plan on winning due to the weight. When I built up the bike minus my Helix rear shock and XTR BB wouldn’t fit the frame’s oddball swing arm and had to use the supplied fox shock and new BB.

Bottom Line:
I’m a big fan of CD, if only for their no questions asked warranty. All of the frames ive had have been great for quality and workmanship. After cracking my carbon fiber Raven I decided on this one because it could take a beating. It’s a perfect bike for the rough stuff, and long rides. This is the kind of bike for a serious XC rider who races rarely and rides in rough terrain a lot, this is definitely the perfect bike for you.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   BL and HP Bikeworks

Similar Products Used:   2000 Cannondale Raven, and a few hardtail CD's

Bike Setup:   00' Lefty fork, with the lock out and dampener knobs.
Magura Luise brake system
XTR drive train
Easton carbon seat post and alum. monkeybar.

Submitted by Kyle Akin a Racer from Tucson , AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Strengths:    mild downhill control, warranty service

Weaknesses:    weight issues, shock issues, creakie, adjustable geometry a gimic, broke frame, ghost shifting problem, bottom bracket too low

Bottom Line:
I race, but this is no racing bike. It's a little on the heavy side pushing 30 lbs. I've adjusted the geometry and could not arrive at something preferable over the other. Bottom bracket has clearance issues, especially if you purchase 180 cranks. I've beat the crap out of this bike and broke the frame at the seat post joint. C'dale sent me a new frame and rear shock, since the old frame had a different shock size. Lefty shock is pretty good, but has needed work, as they all will. Dissapointed with the rear shock that came with the replacement frame. Went soft after about 5 months. In a nutshell, I'd say it's a good weekend warrior bike or one's training ride if they are into racing, but too many sacrafices for the racer in weight and climbing bob.

Favorite Trail:   50 yr

Purchased At:   used, ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y

Bike Setup:   XT groupo, Magura Julie brakes, DLR fork, Manitou SPV rear shock

Submitted by Johno a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    Puts a smile on my dial: 5" travel & 27lb

Weaknesses:    Proprietry Shock, BB to low in FR setup. Addressed with the Prophet.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fun. The combination of rear geometry changes and TALAS travel settings enables you to get in a very agressive climbing/racing position or upright cruiser position. Real "Attitude Adjust".

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Super V

Bike Setup:   Easton EC70 lo-rise bar, EC70 Post, 03 XT Cranks,shifters, & rear casssette. XTR F&R Der. Fox TALAS RL Fork, Magura Louise. WTB Laser V Ti.Maxis Ranchero.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from London UK

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    lefty front end is strong stable and responsive
gearing is fantastic for long steep hills
hayes brakes super strong.
light.well balanced.

Weaknesses:    no seat adjustment bracket
fox rear suspension starts to turn in housing after a days heavy riding

Bottom Line:
Great bike. purchased the 2003 model new in 2004 from a bike shop on ebay. super strong bike. absorbed everything i threw at it. did some fairly steep hairy runs down what could be described as river beds in wales. lefty front end absorbed bumps that I thought were going to throw me over the handle bars. great bike. really recommend it. expensive bike but worth $$$.

this bike is at home for someone just wanting to cruise over the weekends or for doing some more slightly extreme riding. not good for jumping or really really fast downhilling. i think it would be a little too flimsy for this type of riding. get the gemini instead.

Favorite Trail:   breacon Wales

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC2

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Clay Travis a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne , Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Weaknesses:    MAGURA MARTA BRAKES ARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!
My (fourth!!) set were just sent to my shop.The box was covered in oil when they showed up! In the last 5 months my bike has been in the shop for 3 months. Makes it tough to actually ride. Do yourself a favour, and swap them for some Shimano XT's, or XTR's before you leave. Where I live this is a $6500 bike. Don't trust that kind of money, to inferior junk. I hate to say it, but just buy Shimano.

Bottom Line:
When is Cannondale going to take some responsibility for the "junk" they spec on thier bikes. My last Cannondale had Coda stuff on it. Oh my god!! Anybody who had one, knows what I'm talking about. Now all this grief with Magura. Even the rep told me it is a bad product. Most mechanics I've talked to won't even work on them! My chili rating is just for the brakes. If I could give "no heat", I would. The frame , and fork are still rock solid, as well as most of the components.

Submitted by Aaron Zapf a Cross Country Rider from London UK

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    light, sturdy, gearing

Weaknesses:    rear lockout leaks air

Bottom Line:
great bike, climbs really well, gears are faultless, smooth changes even under pressure. it's light, a fantastic bike. lefty front works great, lockout feature and dampening adjustment spot on. I bought a 2003 model in 2004 so received a good discount. cannondales are bit expensive.

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC1, Giant AC2, rocky mountain

Bike Setup:   hayes brakes, Lx front derailer, xtr rear, bought in USA

Submitted by Clay Travis from Melbourne,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Frame, fork

Weaknesses:    Now that I've had sufficient time to test this baby let me add:
Had problem with air leaking in Magura lever.Was warrantied by Magura rep in Sydney ,Australia.
Front and rear shocks both leak air but not too much to get fixed.10-15 pounds a week.Not a big drama as you always check it before heading out.
Lefty Lock out stopped working but was warrantied

Bottom Line:
I said before that this bike does everything, but there are some things it does reluctantly.Firstly.Unless you're rich, walk(ride) around the real big drops.This bike makes you think it can handle anything , but it won't.Pancaked a wheel on the shore, doing 7 ft. drop.Wheels are not cheap.Secondly,don't try to turn too much with front end compressed.This makes for a sure trip over the bars.The front wheel/axle will bend like mad.I know it's nit picky stuff but it happens.Thirdly, forget about adjusting your geometry into freeride mode if you have any roots/logs on your trail.It sits way to low.If you must do it, get a chainring slightly bigger than your middle to ring.This should earn you a bit of your ground clearance back

Favorite Trail:   Anything in British Cloumbia

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sports Pacific, Vancouver , B.C.

Submitted by Matthias Wirz a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
it is an absolutely great bike. i sold the xt dualcontrol and bought a magura louise FR with two 180mm discs. what a breakpower. i also bought the x-9 triggers. i wasn't out for a lot of rides but what i have seen till now is just great.
the frame has convinced me about his stiffness. manitou SVP 3-way, that rocks!
(sorry for my english, i am a swiss guy)

Submitted by Dogwood a Cross Country Rider from Demorest, Ga

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    2004 model: swinger shock is great, climbs and accelerates like a 23lb. hardtail, it takes a very, very, very long climb before I begin to notice the extra 5lbs., Lefty max is very plush and well tuned for rough trail.

Weaknesses:    Stock Hutchinson scorpions don't corner well and they are pathetic on gravel. Leaves pile up quickly in the area behind the pivot, very little rear tire clearance. Matte black finish is beautiful but it means you don't have the protection of a clearcoat, cables rubbed through the finish on my very first ride. I know these weaknesses aren't very weak but I've only put 80 miles on it so far.

Bottom Line:
I fancy myself a good climber but the trails I ride beat my old F600 to death in 2 years. I bought the jekyll thinking the extra 5lbs might slow me down. It hasn't. I weigh 150lbs . so my total weight ridden (not counting water and clothing) is 177.5lbs. Compared to my 22.5lb hardtail, the jekyll is only 3.3% heavier ridden. I feel like the Jekyll 1000 is a good value. The only components they skimped on were the tires, crankset, and cassette. Also consider that it's made in U.S.A. mostly by hand whereas all the popular big brands are now manufactured in Asian sweatshops(not that there's anything wrong with that), And other made-in-U.S.A. brands like Ellsworth, $2700 gets you a frame and fork.

Favorite Trail:   Frady Branch

Similar Products Used:   2004 Jekyll 600 Feminine (had to buy my wife one too)

Bike Setup:   stock except for EC70 flat bar, flip stem to angle down, Velociraptors, rear suspension set to full XC.

Submitted by A.P. a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Strong Frame. Lefty fork is plush, responsive and stable through rough terrain. Bike climbs and descends with ease.

Bottom Line:
This is a solid all mountain bike that yields a smooth ride and is stable on rough xc terrain. This bike has survived multiple crashes/hits - endos, collisions with trees/ boulders/concrete walls/other riders, falls on rocky terrain and into streams/rivers. I have ridden in heavy rain, mud, sand, through small streams, loose rocks, etc. Suspension soaks up anything in your path. Lefty front suspension is amazing - I have had zero problems with the Lefty since I bought the bike, its responds to the full spectrum of obstacles from small bumps to large drop offs. Front and rear suspension make it possible to increase speed over obstacles and boosts confidence on the trail. The Jekyll easily out climbs the GF Sugar. Descending is also not an issue. The bike is light enough for the job - If you are picky about weight, shed a few pounds of fat off your torso instead of complaining about extra ounces on bike frame and components because the fat in your gut is a bigger factor than the extra ounces on your bike (unless you ride a Huffy). Demo this bike and see for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood/Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   Bike'N' Gear

Similar Products Used:   Also have a GF Sugar 3+. Have ridden Trek Fuel, Giant NRS and K2.

Bike Setup:   stock with some upgrades - RF Next LP, XT shifters

Submitted by Deke a Weekend Warrior from Colo.

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is really a review for the frame. Cannondale makes it expensive to upgrade suspension, you're looking at a Franklin for a headset, plus a fork, and you're pretty much locked into the shock. But if you get the good stuff on it this makes for a sweet trailbike. So, I guess, buying a Jekyll is a good place to start, or, if you know what you want, buy from someone who sells a nice frame, and build 'er up right. I bought one because it was marked way down, and have had to change everything but the seatpost, part by part, cause it either was crap or it broke. I like my bike now, so I'll say now that the Jekyll rocks as a frame only.......D.

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Severn, MD

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is a real jack-of-all trades. It climbs well and descends with confidence. After a year I'm still amazed every time I ride. If you'e looking for a very nimble, light-feeling all-mountain bike, give this one some consideration.

Weaknesses:    The parts spec seems a little low-end given the price of the bike when compared to other manufacturers. Of course, you don't notice this the second you start riding. The rear shock lockout seems flimsy, but frankly I've only used it a handful of times.

Bottom Line:
After a year on this bike (I got one of the first ones to come out in August of last year) I must say this bike is excellent. It handles like it's reading your mind. The best thing I can say for the Lefty fork is that I never think about it (except when someone on a Wal-Mart bike asks about it); it just quietly performs. The rear suspension is plush and bob is really minimal, especially for a single-pivot setup. The only time you notice the rear bob is when you're really hammering out of the saddle, which I seldom do since I'm not a racer.

This bike feels a little heavy when you're putting it on the rack, but the weight seems to vanish when you start riding. It's an interesting effect. When you pick the bike up, you're thinking it's weight is a little more like a freerider than an all- mountain bike, but then when you get on you find yourself climbing with ease. Going downhill on this bike is almost too much fun to be legal; you really can just point it where you want to go and it does the rest (within reason!).

It would be nice to see a little higher parts spec given the price; Cannondale kind of pulls the trick where they stick on a high-end rear derailleur to get your attention, but the less-visible components aren't as top-shelf. Some comparison shopping showed that some other makes will deliver a higher parts spec in this price category. The difference for me is I simply love the way this bike rides, plain and simple. Maybe that's why it costs more.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park

Purchased At:   College Park Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek hardtails, KHS

Bike Setup:   factory spec except for Michelin Comp S tubeless tires

Submitted by John McDaniel a Cross Country Rider from Penn Valley, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Soo Smoooth, yet strong with out any rear flex. Lefty fork "It just felt better then the rest" Easy lock out up front. Brakes "Mugura Marta's" XTR rear with durable LX shifters"

Weaknesses:    Cannondale price, but built in the USA. I here the tires could be a problem. To new to really point out any real problems.

Bottom Line:
This bike just felt great as soon as I got on it, half way up the first hill during my comparison ride I new this was the bike. It moved up the hill with ease. Went on to test other brands but went back to the Jekyll. The bike is very well balanced and tracks straight.
Lots of plush travel front and rear with out feeling bouncy. The quality of Cannondale shows through out on this bike, frame design, welds, paint etc.. I plan on spending some quality ride time on this baby.

Favorite Trail:   Pioneer

Purchased At:   Auburn Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Demo'ed, Specialized Epic, Trek Fuel, Kona, Heckler / Blur, Rocky Mountain, Jekyll won out!

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Clay Travis a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver,B.C.,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Does everything you could want.Moves forward gracefully.Stops on a dime.Lightweight(for full suspension).Bomber strong.5 inches of travel are sweet

Weaknesses:    Hutchison Scorpion Tubeless tires.Yuk..Little creaky form rear end.

Bottom Line:
I must admit I was extremely nervous about buying another Cannondale.I already have a 2001 F-900 hardtail.It was spec'd with all Coda stuff which was absolute rubbish.Top that off with living in Australia, and the complete lack of customer support made me edgy.Now I'm stoked, because this bike rips.You get the proven performance of the Lefty, bombproof frame, and awesome Magura discs.It'll do everything from 5 foot drops, to racing your mates x-country.Front and rear lockouts are a bonus, when riding to the trails.
Basically it is a perfect bike if you can't afford a x-c, or down hill specific bike.Had to do a little bit of work with the hockey tape to prevent cable rub.I would recommend this bike in a second.Ditch the tires in the shop before you leave.The scorpion tubeless are crap, if you live anywhere it rains.

Favorite Trail:   cbc,the Abyss

Purchased At:   Pacific Sports Bicycles, Vancouver

Bike Setup:   Got rid of the clipless pedals.Flats more practical on North Shore.

2004 Cannondale Jekyll 1000

So im thinking about buying this bike, and i was wondering if its too big for me. Im 5'8 but this is a large. Are there any other things that i should worry about when buying the bike. Im getting it for 7-800. Thanks guys!Read More »

New guy with Jekyll 1000

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris. I live in central NJ. I'm a fresh, new guy to the MTB world. Only rode out about 6 times borrowing a friends bike. Just picked up my first ride last night. It's an 01 Jekyll 1000. Has a few mods, Shimano LX hydraulic brakes, Fox Float RC shock. ... Read More »

jekyll 1000 vs 1000sl

Looking at buying either a 2001 cannondale jekyll 1000(for $600) or a jekyll 1000SL(for $500). Whats the difference other than the SL having a headshok and the other having a lefty fork? Couple questions: 1) How much travel is in the Lefty DLR fork? 2)What is the real difference between the tw ... Read More »

Upgrading Coda brakes on Jekyll 1000

I have a 2001 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty and original Coda hydraulic brakes. The rotors are a 4 bolt pattern and are 160mm (I think). I would like to upgrade the brakes preferably to the Avid BB7 and new rotors. The Avid rotors have a 6 bolt pattern. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions fo ... Read More »

Jekyll 1000 creaky headset problems

I have a Chris King headset in my Jekyll and want to replace it with something inexpensive and more importantly, quiet. I'm so tired of hearing the creaky popping noises when I stand up on my pedals. Will a Cane Creek S-3 do it? I want a solid tight fit with no noise.Read More »