Cannondale Gemini 900 2003 Full Suspension

4.81/5 (85 Reviews)

Submitted by aagp a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Amazing frame geometry... feels right from the word go. Be that over jumps or steep downhill. Great components but I did need to upgrade the rear suspension due to me being a big guy and it bottoming out. Components are old by todays standards but still work great and competitive even to todays standards.

Weaknesses:    None which I can see at this stage. Best dual suspension bike I have ridden (maybe the reign x series is better... only just).

Bottom Line:
Great bike... I bought it 2nd hand but the guy had never really ridden it and it is want i would consider new. It is my first dually and is bring out the best in my ridding. Absolutely confidence inspiring. If you find yourself in a similar position and find a good one... buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   Giant Regin, stinky, norcos

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the rear suspension upgrade to a fox fox vanilla r (looking to get an air shock next)

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    Unbelievably strong frame design! Enough suspension to take even the biggest hits. It's lighter than most bikes of this caliber and best of all, it's a Cannondale!

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden. It has held up strong for the last 4 years and still take hits like a champ. It literally flys down the trails and feels incredibly stable at fast downhill speeds. If you have the chance to get one of these, dont pass it up. Great bike! A lot of bang for your buck, especially if you can pick up a used one for a good price! The best bike I've owned!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Flow, Gemini DH, Jamis Diablo

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by steini sigurdsson a Downhiller from reykjavik

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    strong frame, handles well in DH and you can drop big drops on it.

Weaknesses:    non yet...

Bottom Line:
this bike i great for big drop. It also handles great in DH.

Favorite Trail:   ulfarsfell

Purchased At:   my friend

Bike Setup:   rock shox boxxer ride and truvativ hussefelt crank

Submitted by matija lelas a Downhiller from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    All bikes of this tipe are heavy.But this is not.A fantastic geometry .I did a bunny hop of 80cm with it.You almost cannot break it

Weaknesses:    What Weakness

Bottom Line:
Drops of 3 meters on a quite good landing are welcome

Purchased At:   at a friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized demo 8,Santa cruz bullit

Bike Setup:   A marzocchi 66 fork...

Submitted by greg godsey a Weekend Warrior from kingsport tn

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    i have the 2006 model 900. the frame is awesome,very light and very strong.the marzocchi 66 light is the best.hayes nines,great husselfelt crank very good.sram shifters great.

Weaknesses:    seat post,formula hubs,iwish they would anodize the frame.the paint will scratch easy.but for the price it is a great deal......

Bottom Line:
actually the 800 dollar marzocchi sold me .this bike can freeride,crosscountry,and anything in between.it is considered a freeride but mine does not weigh but 30 pounds. this is the ultimate trail bike. go by the2006 gemini 900.you will be impressed........

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   larrys cycles

Similar Products Used:   vp free,haro werks 7,kona coilair,trek 77,blur lt,bullit

Bike Setup:   marzocchi 66 light,thomson stem and seatpost,hadley hubs,sram 990 cassette,selle marco seat,sun single track rear,mavic 325 front.

Submitted by Chris D. a Weekend Warrior from Escondido

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2005

Strengths:    Bullet Proof, can actually climb okay, great suspension system.

Weaknesses:    none yet!

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, I bought it for a steal off ebay from a guy who literally didn’t ride it. It was all but brand new. I must say the travel on this bike is great for a 240lber like me. I don’t take crazy drops like some of you guys, but I consistently am taking 4’ to 5’ hits and this thing just takes it, over and over again. I mostly use it for shuttle rides, but occasionally (if my prophet is in the shop) I have taken out on some all-mountain rides and this thing can actually climb pretty well. I must say the geometry works well for brief uphills, (it is not for all-day cross country riding). Bottom-line, great bike, great value…..

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Billet

Bike Setup:   All new XT drivetrain and shifters, Thompson Elite post, crank bros. Mallet M, selle itallia gelle seat.

Submitted by Terrence a Downhiller from BFE New Mexico

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Still longevity

Weaknesses:    Customer Service

Bottom Line:
Ok, I have had this bike for a while now, I still ride the hell out of it. I have moved since my last review and don't ride as much here because I don't have the access to trails. I still hunt for nasty urban type freeride to keep my skills sharp. That being said I have now pretty much made the hubs on this rig snivel and the rear bearings on the swing arm are toast. I contacted Cannondale about the parts only to find out that they won't warranty any parts to a consumer. You HAVE to go through a dealer. I live like 240 miles from the nearest dealer. That sucks. If you can't take care of customers then don't offer a warranty. I also needed a derailleur hanger and went to a bike shop in Las Cruces, NM that tried to charge me 75.00 for a hanger. I told Cannondale about it and.... I got the shrug off. Screw that. Beware these things if you buy from Cannondale. I guess no product is perfect. As for the bike, I did have some play in the rear swingarm due to the pivot bolt being too long. I contacted Cannondale who told me to go to a dealer to have it dealt with. (Yeah right) So, it being 1mm too long and not having a machine shop within 100 miles of me that could do this type of work, I just measured out 1mm on the bolt, marked it with a sharpie marker and ground it ( I didn't have access to a lathe or mill) until the markings were gone. Worked like a charm....swingarm is very tight and rigid again. The cranks are finally giving out. I have taken 5 and 6 foot flat landings on these cranks alot and they have finally had enough. Pretty amazing for cranks that weigh like 640 grams. Gonna try some Holzfellers. A couple of months ago while back on a trail in AZ I noticed some brake jack. This was on a really steep incline with water bars on it. After I hit the water bar and launched I had to hit the brakes to set up for a switch back. That is when I noticed the jack. Hmmmmm.....FSR type pivot never did this to me. Cannondale says they don't offer a floating brake for my year of Gemini and wouldn't sell it to me if they did. GRRRRRR......up your ass then. Brake therapy offers a floating brake, but will run you about 300 or so bones. Add that to cranks and wheels retail and I might as well buy a new bike. I have mixed feelings about this bike now. It is a good bike, but if the makers are going to treat their customers like that, I don't think I can ride it anymore. I get sick just looking at the bike now. So, guess I will be moving on. It was a great bike, I really had a lot of fun on it, part of me really wants to keep it....BUT......you know the deal. If you live close to a dealer buy one and have fun. If you don't, go with the Ma and Pop type shop. (Cove, Banshee, Canfield Bros, etc) because they will take care of you no matter what. When you pay umpteen dollars for a bike, you should get service no matter where you are or what your circumstances are. Buhbye Cannondale. Nice knowing ya.

Favorite Trail:   none around here

Purchased At:   Superblow

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   OK....03 super t, Romic, diabolus stem, race face bars, mag brakes

Submitted by b rad a Downhiller from pequop navada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Strengths:    over shooting landings on20 foot gap jumps and riding away as if I just bumped of a curve sweeeet ride

Weaknesses:    after sherching for mouths I finaly gave up.

Bottom Line:
this is not your moms china this beast will take you up or down any thing.after i purchased this dream machin I am constantly pushing the limits an it has never let me down. Before I purched the cannondal gemini i did not like cannondale but this is the lightest strongest most perfect designed ever. after taking my first ride on this bike cannondale is right at the top again ya dog

Favorite Trail:   trails with lots of gaps, rocks and drop offs

Purchased At:   some shop in arisona cozzen hocked me up

Similar Products Used:   kona products

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Dan a Downhiller from Sudbury Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is the best I have ever riden. I may only be 13, but I no bikes. The frame is suprisinly light for a soft tail, and the Manitou Fork is amazing. The Fox Vallina died on me though. I was just trying a 8-10ft drop, and it just snapped or somthing. I upgraded that to a Manitou 4 way swinger($500) WELL WORTH IT. also, i upgraded the crank to a raceface. And i changed the discs to 81/2 inch. This bike is amazing, defenitly the best out there

Weaknesses:    Fox vanilla rear shock
Stock Discs
Stock Wheels

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike i have ever raced. its sooo sick

Favorite Trail:   Angel Street. Loon Mtn.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Big Hit
Rockhopper (sick hardtail, but nothing campared to this)
Eudro

Bike Setup:   Stock handlebars. Stock Haynes front brake. Differant back brake. . .its hydrolic but i forget the name of it. 81/2 discs. Swinger 4 way rear shock.

Submitted by Derrick Bilodeau a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    I am writing this review on an 02 1000 because mtbr does not have that bike listed.

Single pivot is very plush. the frame is VERY VERY light. Geometry feels good. bb is high.

Weaknesses:    The fox shock i got with the frame died. Bushing die out quick but thats common with a single pivot.

Bottom Line:
Suspesnion is very efficent. Light enough to freeride and fast enough to race dh on. I really like this bike so far. Buy this bike if you want a great freeride bike that you can race as well as ride xc on.

Favorite Trail:   Mutton Hill

Blue Worldforce bars
5th element 5way
Bombshell rear wheel
321 front on dmn hub
Deore derailure with road cassette
sram 7.0 gripshift

Submitted by capt. cannondale a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2004

Strengths:    love this bike,frame lefty max,bombproof ride,2 wheels on steroids!ballburnished frame looks like chrome,headturner,manycompliments

Weaknesses:    can't find any. well maybe cable and hose routing.

Bottom Line:
if your looking for all around bike this is the bike,best out of box freeride.some people doen't know what to make of lefty fork,they think it's broken and i'm rideing on one fork leg.LOL I hope my review helped. HAPPY TRAILS

Favorite Trail:   wherever I may be.

Purchased At:   mtb review classified

Bike Setup:   mostly stock accept for brooks saddle,grimeca brakes.

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Auburn, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2004

Strengths:    Sweet looks. Good setup. Handles well. I haven't found too much i dont like about this bike. The component package is excellent for a bike of this kind.

Weaknesses:    Too much travel for the trails of Alabama. A little heavy for x-country riding.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is a bit overkill for the trails i have around me, but it is great if you can find some stuff to huck off of. Once you dial in the rear end you feel like your riding in a caddy. I recommend this to anyone looking for a good freeriding bike with the ability to still be comfortable going uphill.

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Submitted by Joanma Franch from Catalunya

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    Versatile, amusing, geometry, light, Racing lock similar to Cedric Gracia (the best)

Weaknesses:    The Tires and fork Manitou, the assembly of adhesives Siemens are deflected.

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for everything ,it´s amusing and light and you can use 170mm because the geometry is perfect.

the frontal height is too much and I will have to cut the tube of Sherman. The Sherman is soft and I must put the compression at top maximum. The adjustment of rebound is not effective.
I like the lock but the DH is better with more black and red lines, but I think a camouflage color similar to Kone, KTM would be better.

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   Madrid

Similar Products Used:   Bullit, Scott Nitrous, next Heckler 2005 with 150mm and VPP

Bike Setup:   Plataform pedals, Tires Nokian Gazzaloddis 2.35, Stem Race Face Diabolus 50mm

Submitted by David Evans a Downhiller from Leavenworth

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    The 03 came with great components. Frame is light yet durable. Color kicks arse

Weaknesses:    In a handfull of frames built. The pivot bolt is too long. It creates play in the swingarm. I bought new hubs, crank sets, bearings, spent a tone of money, only to find out the pivot bolt was 1mm to long. Pain in the but.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I am trying to find a reason to buy a new frame, and I can't come up with any excusses.

Favorite Trail:   (old) Bad Gorilla

Purchased At:   Arlberg Sports

Similar Products Used:   Bullit, Stinky

Bike Setup:   888r, bombshell wheelset, xtr, raceface bb/cranks, raceface dadada, goodrich hoses, michi 2.5rear 2.8front, nothing stock but cog set. :)

Submitted by Terrence a Downhiller from Chandler

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    Versatility, longevity

Weaknesses:    ????

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for close to a year now. No problems with the frame at all. Hayes brake hoses haven't been the greatest. Have had 2 of them split on me now. I have upgraded to a Romic shock and Super T, Race Face Diaboulus stem and bars. Even though I really liked the sherman it came with, the super t is what this bike was missing. It is absolutely astonishing how good this bike rides now with the Super T and Romic. Not exactly a long legged trail bike anymore, it is a downhill and freeride hucker now. The weight still isn't too bad for what is on it and it pedals soooo much better with a romic. When downhilling, it feels like I have two flat tires sometimes. Very smooth and it handles a lot better with this set up. Usually after a year on a bike, I would be getting bored with it. This bike has let me progress and develop my riding style by providing a very versatile platform to build on. The stock setup was great for a beginning freerider and heavy duty trail, add some second hand parts (cost me under 400 for the super t and romic) and this thing is a serious freeride and downhill machine. If I ever get tired of this setup, I can turn it back into a lightweight trailbike. Bottom line is I am still happy with this bike, and I have the attention span of a gnat. You can't go wrong with the Gemini. Thanks Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Hayes Mags, Diabolus stem and seatpost, Race Face bars, Romic, and Super T

Cannondale Gemini 900 Mountain Bike,Trek Scratch 9 2010

[B]We are dealers and we sell Cannondale, Cervelo, Ellsworth, Giant, Jamis, Klein, Kona, Litespeed, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher bikes. distributors and wholesaler of Motor bikes and cycling machines… Trek Scratch 9 2010 Mountain Bikes Trek 2009 EX9 Bike $1,600 Tre ... Read More »

Cannondale Gemini 900 Mountain Bike,Trek Scratch 9 2010 A

cannondale gemini 900

interested in getting a bike. im looking at a gemini 900 on craigslist but the guy doesnt know for sure what size it is. does he need to measure from the crank to the seat post tube? what are the measurement sizes? im 6'3'' i assume i need an xl right?Read More »

Air shock on small frame 06 Gemini 900?

Anybody running one? I am looking to lighten up mine bit this season to make it more of a heavy duty trailbike and less of a resort bike. Doing some research, I know the leverage ratio is 3:1, and most air shocks (at least the fox stuff) top out at 300lbs. Doing the math, that would put it at a 100 ... Read More »

Rear hub width of 06 Gemini 900

I thought it was 150mm, but the new set of azonics that won't fit are telling me different.:madman: Any help would be appreciated. The only thing the website is telling me is thru- 12.Read More »