Bianchi Ibex 2003 Full Suspension

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix,az usa

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light for a full suspension, stiff, affordable, durable

Weaknesses:    replaced seat after 6 month due to broken rail. would like to see tubeless wheels and tires.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I had it for several seasons and have become a true Bianchi fan. I noticed that Bianchi seems to have scaled back on mountain bikes lately, but this was from their heyday when Julian Absalon and Jose Hermida where both on their team. The bike represents the best in Bianchi quality.

Favorite Trail:   Prescott near Thumb Butte

Purchased At:   Airport bicycles

Similar Products Used:   first mtn bike in ten years, I owned a bianchi grizzly in the 80's

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of flight max saddle.

Submitted by phil a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Strengths:    -Stiff, Stable, Reliable
-the Lock-out on Front Rock-Shox Duke (for climbing) is great
-very good downhill

Weaknesses:    Heavy (29 LBS with Egg Beaters)
Heavy Tires
Rear Hydraulic Hoses came loose during race!
Complex Design of rear triangle (too many parts)

Bottom Line:
Great Downhill for an XC
not so great Uphill (weight!)
Will switch tires and check again.
For $900, new, I cannot complain though.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension, I come from a Hard-Tail
(Lugano, Made in Belgium)

Bike Setup:   WTB Motoraptor 26*2.24 (Very Heavy: 810 grams, measured)
Titec Stem and Seat Post
Rock Shox Duke(front) and Rock Shox (rear)
Deore XT, Truvativ
Hayes Disc Brakes
WTB speed Disc Comp wheels and hubs

Submitted by Scott Martin a Cross Country Rider from Hiram, GA USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness, handling, very stable

Weaknesses:    Weight, not a very efficient climber, but I'm a clydesdale.

Bottom Line:
I have held out buying a full suspension bike due to how hard tails accelerate. I can honestly say this bike has no problems in the acceleration dept. I had to fiddle with the rear shock set up for a couple of rides to truly dial it in but have achieved what I'm looking for by seeting it up w/o sag. On tight twisty single track as well as when I'm descending this bike is a rock solid performer. It goes exactly where you want it to w/o effort. It manuals exceptionally well and w/o effort. There is no doubt I beleive I will enjoy riding this bike for many more years. I made several upgrades voluntarily that weren't all that necessary. The parts spec it came with wasn't necessarily top shelf but it wasn't bad either.

Favorite Trail:   Dausett Trails / Jackson, GA

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop / Hiram

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Thomson seat post and stem, Race Face 24/34/46 175 mm cranks, Hayes Hyd. Disc, American Eagle laced up Tubeless

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Firm efficient ride, lockouts front and rear, hayes discs

Weaknesses:    Seatpost flex, a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
The frame is really stiff! I am 6'3" 205 and haven't noticed any frame flex at all. Bike rides alot like a Giant NRS, but suspension remains active all the time!! Bianchi recommends setting up w/ zero sag, but I run it softer than that. Standing on the pedals and looking down you can see the shock moving a little but you cannot "feel" it. The bike shoots forward w/ each pedal stroke. It is also really well balanced, wheelies really well, and goes where you point it.
If you are looking for an efficient, durable, stiff FSXC bike you will be very happy with the way this rides!
The suspension design looks similar to a Yeti ASR, but the rear end is all one piece and has only two pivot points (b.b. and swing link). It is a new design and works really well.
Travel is 3" front and rear and w/ air shocks you can play with pressure to get desired ride quality. Rear end is not plush and is not rock hard, good combination of both. Firm/no-pogo when pedaling and it really does a good job of absorbing the rough and keeping the wheel on the ground. Very impressed with the bike. Great component spec for the price! Wheels/Tires are a little heavy so cannot give 5 stars.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mt