RockShox Sid Race 2003 Front Shocks

DAMPING: NEW! PURE DeLITE
Adj: Rebound

Submitted by Canadian rider a Cross Country Rider from Calgary ab

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Awsome fork it's almost 8 year's old my trek 9.8 and the fork work's eally well it's much lighter than the newer Sid's (just over half pound lighter)

Bottom Line:
Great fork!!!! pleased with the performance!!! You just need to know how to use a sid fork!!!

Bike Setup:   '03 TREK 9.8 Carbon hardtail

Submitted by DVD a Cross Country Rider from South Central PA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    Light Weight (2.9lb)

Weaknesses:    Poor layout of User's Manual resulting in my own mis-use of the product.

Bottom Line:
I mis-used the fork the first 6 to 8 times I rode it because I didn't go through the User's Manual in detail. I thought I had the same LOOSE HEADSET SOUND type of problem that I had read other reviews about. However I was assuming that the fork had TWO positive air chambers and one negative air chamber. Therefore I put the recommended 120psi for my weight in BOTH upper air caps. Then I set the negative to 120 also. If I had gone further into the User's Manual I would have learned about the Pure Delite system. I mistaked this for a second positive air chamber and WAY WAY over-inflated it. They recommend putting the pure delite in the range of 10 to 60psi. I had mine at 120 (and even higher to play with adjustment). With the pure delite at 120 the bike had a very bad rattle sound in the front end that I tried for weeks to diagnose as a loose headset or something in the brakes or even front hub. Another guy I work with has had the same fork for a couple years and he didn't even know about the Pure Delite chamber and he's never had a problem with his. Are we idiots in PA or had anyone else out there ever had the same experience? Once I set the fork up correctly it works like a champ. Therefor I'm giving this product a 5 out of 5 because you can over-stress the pure delite to extremes like did and it still didn't blow out any seals.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   KHS 704R ('03)

Submitted by Romulus Luther a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, good looking, strong climbing ability, service from Rock Shox, easy to adjust, and Do-It-Yourself service is possible with the proper tools since you can download the PDF version of the fork overall guide.

Weaknesses:    Plastic parts, decals wear out, short travel, and not ideal for big drops. It also makes an annoying noise whenever you need to bunny hop something (makes you believe there is a headset problem when there isn't)

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'2 200lbs and I ride all over the Bay Area, rain or shine. I've also raced about 10 times in the past 3 years. The reason I bought the SID Race is because Klein suggested my bike geometry would not accommodate travel beyond 85mm. Their quote was, "your bike will feel like a chopper with more travel." I bought the bike in Nov 97 and it came with Manitous that I never once serviced (shameful). Five years and thousands of miles later I bought these SIDs. The owner's manual gives suggestions about servicing intervals but my local bike shop dismissed it as "over-zealous marketing". After less than 2,000 miles the forks gave out at the beginning of a ride on Mt. Tam, so now I trust the OM and not my bike shop. The forks were still under warranty so Rock Shox did a complete overall for no charge except the shipping. I basically got a brand new fork because they said the seals were faulty. I really wanted Fox forks but the geometry issue limited my choices. Klein also recommended air over oil, so that ruled out Marzocchi. I considered the Skareb but since I noticed so many racers using SIDs I gave it a shot.
Final verdict - perfect for XC riding and racing as long as big drops are avoided. Sometimes they don't feel as stiff and confident during bumpy high-speed descents so bigger riders like myself may not mind the extra weight of a beefier fork. However, because of the price (sub $500 compared to the extremely expensive Fox line) these babies do the trick.

Favorite Trail:   Everything in Mammoth

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse Race - XTR drivetrain, Chris King Headset, Rock Shox seat post, XTR V-brakes, XT shifters, Avid brake levers, Mavic 517 rims w/ XTR hubs

Submitted by MTB Rider a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Don't know yet.

Weaknesses:    Don't know yet.

Bottom Line:
Watch put for Phat tire. I sent my fork in to Rock Shox for an oil leak brand new out of the box. He was supposed send the fork back to me after servicing and he has refused to do so. He has basically stollen my fork.

Purchased At:   Phat Tire

Similar Products Used:   Duke Race

Bike Setup:   04 GT i-Drive 1.0

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    Light, nice looking, works great

Weaknesses:    Squeeks, flexes a lot

Bottom Line:
THe shock has worked great for my type of riding. It absorbs shocks well, and never quit on me.
However, it makes a lot of noise coming from the crown. The bike shop has checked it and there is nothing they can do about it, plus Rock Shox cannot replace the steerer tube to get rid of the problem. I am switching to something else.

Favorite Trail:   Santos, Razorback

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by Dennis Romano a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2004

Strengths:    I found myself liking the climbing ability of this shock very quickly. I was concerned about blowing the seals since I weigh 228 pounds but to date no problems. Hold air pressure very well. Pure Delight system works as advertised. Dial in the positive and negative air pressures first and then tune in the threshold break point.

Weaknesses:    Very narrow width only allows up to a 2.1 inch tire.

Bottom Line:
I am impressed with this shock. I have dropped an occasional 2 foot drop with no problems. Climbs very well. Can be dialed in to suit you needs. I run mine at 160 positive, 130 negative and 30 pure delight. I weigh 228 pounds. Very light.

Favorite Trail:   Bunker Creek, UT

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Copeland's Sports

Similar Products Used:   Answer XVert Super, Marzocchi MX Comp Air and Freeride SL

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instict, Stans No Tubes, Panaracer XC Pros, Sram Rocket Shifters and WTB Ti Saddle

Submitted by Da King a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice and light and I like the look

Weaknesses:    Riding the MONT 24 in Canberra Australia I had another competitor ask if I had probs with the Pure Delight damping system and if the forks rattled like a loose head set and this is exactly what problem I had with my SID Race. Big time rattles in fork once rebound was turned up (slower rebound). This appears to be afault of these forks and mine were fixed recently under warranty.

Bottom Line:
Get the warranty fix on the Pure Delight rebound mechanism and really start to enjoy these forks.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Mazochi (?) Bombers

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant NRS1

Submitted by Hank Jien a Cross Country Rider from South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    -excellent responsiveness on bumps
-superlight
-good looking
-effective rebound adjustment

Weaknesses:    -kind of flexy, you can notice it if you run V-brakes
-(heard some bad reputation, eg. inner parts of fork, haven't done any overhaul so don't know yet.)
-not good for small dirt jumping or just tiny drops
-plastic parts(outside)

Bottom Line:
If we talk about pure cross country, which is exactly what it is designed for, it would be an excellent fork. It absorbs the small stuff better, in other words, an excellent trail fork. The weight is also excellent. Then, when it comes to running V-brakes on it, you'll notice that theres actually flex. Some people don't know what flex is and start using the word flexy but if I hadn't ran V-brakes on it I wouldn't of been able to tell. When the V-brakes are installed, WHILE RIDING WHEN PUSHING ON THE FORK, you will notice that the pads start rubbing the rims. Then when you don't push on it, theres no rub, when you roll the wheel. I think that only discs will solve but maybe not.

This fork is not meant for dirt jump and tiny drops. The kind of "smooth" you get on it is air smooth, and on Marzocchi you get oil smooth. You wouldn't want air maybe Zocchi's system for drops. So I guess this would be the fork if you do pure Cross Country racing but not for anyone that does cross country, dirt jumping, and little drops.

I heard that this fork has bad internat parts...has anyone heard any?...email me if you know any internal problem.

Favorite Trail:   South Surrey Atheletic Park

Purchased At:   (came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   2001 Marzocchi Z5, 2003 Marzocchi DJ III, 2000 Marzocchi Z2 X-Fly, Top Gun junk, and RST junk

Bike Setup:   SID Race, X.9 drivetrain, hardtail frame(Bronco), WTB Speed Master laced onto cartridge hubs, Kore cockpits, WTB Rocket V seat, Tektro MT-11 brakes

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from OR

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    It was riliable and never lost air. But that is where it ended.

Weaknesses:    Claimed travel that was not there. No compression dampning and kind of flexey.

Bottom Line:
I tried everything to make this fork work, with many calls to Rockshox. It is just very limited with short travel.(2&1/4 inches) Without comprission dampning, it just spikes through its travel and bottems on any kind of hard hit.
I now have a Skarub Super and could not be happier.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Almost all crosscountry forks since they started making them.

Bike Setup:   Turner 02 with xtr disk.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight....sort of

Weaknesses:    crappy travel, super high maintenence, cheap plastic parts

Bottom Line:
I only had the bike (brand new) a month or so before the fork had to be rebuilt. Rock Shox kept saying that the fork had been set up wrong and that was why I was only getting 58mm of travel. When in fact its made with cheap plastic parts that don't hold air or what little oil is needed. I have a hard time with telling anyone to buy this fork. That is unless you want to learn to rebuild forks, or want to support your local bike shop.

Similar Products Used:   Judy SL, Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR

Submitted by mr :p a Weekend Warrior from sweden

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    smooth travel , weight..?

Weaknesses:    smooth travel , all the 35 mm....;o)

Bottom Line:
Great fork for rigid lover XC`ers... For long travel lovers , not...

Favorite Trail:   in the woods..? ;o)

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX comp ETA , RS Indy (with similiar travel)

Bike Setup:   Fitted on an TREK fuel 98 std

Submitted by g matt from Boulder

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    It's light, expensive, cheaply made.

Weaknesses:    It's broken more than it works. Rockshock kept it for 2 1/2 weeks "fixing it"

Bottom Line:
I've had my new Giant NRS for about 2 months. It's been in she shop for 3 weekends. Two repairs in the shop and one factory repair in CO Springs. If you love to hang around the shop and talk about biking rather than doing it, this is the shock for you. It's cheap crap and the customer service is on par with a standard cell phone company.

CRAP! Avoid!

Similar Products Used:   Cheap plastic toys

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Montebello

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Strengths:    It's light. It's price is dropping fast.

Weaknesses:    It's not plush or smooth. Has stiction and limited travel.

Bottom Line:
After riding for some time and playing around with the fork, I have to take back my initial positive review. I doubted the objectiveness of some MTBR's posts, but now I have to agree with them. This site really is useful and not all "crap" as some big name companies suggest.

The mispresesnted travel is biggest issue that everyone seems to share. Since when did negative travel and bumper compression become travel? I've since gotten a vanilla, and it has a perfect 125mm travel + bumper compression + negative travel. Sure it's smoother and plusher than the SID, but it's in a different class. The point, is I get the travel I expect.

I can see racer's using this fork for obvious reasons, and it can perform well for them, but for anything other than pure racing it will disappoint, unless you're a first time fork user anything will feel better than rigid. But even pure racers can find something better in the Skareb, which is constantly being reviewed as smoother. What then can a racer justify this fork for? It's has more stiction, less travel than its competition. The only strengths are it has is marginally *possible* light weight (but remember the weight is without oil) and is price is dropping rapidly (a good sign??). Oh, I didn't really notice flex,but I'm pretty light. Hey, I'm trying to be balanced and objective with this review.

My initial giddyness over what I thought was a good purchase has turned sour. My judy even felt better (at least it was plush). I don't dislike all rockshox products, but the SID has so much againts it I had to dramatically downgrade it. I have to admit buying any product is a risk, but EXPECTING THAT A PRODUCT MEETS CLAIMED SPECS SHOULD NOT BE!

Please don't consider this product thinking you'll get a nice suspension part. Only consider if you are a serious and old school racer thinking that hardtails and rigids are more fun than a plush ride.

I hope the moderator would remove my initial post, which was posted way too soon.

Similar Products Used:   vanilla, judy, mars

Bike Setup:   Truth

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Smooth, Lots of settings to fine tune

Weaknesses:    Lots of settings to fine tune

Bottom Line:
Excellent race fork, for those willing to spend the time to fine tune it.

Good fine tuning actually requires that you know what all four settings do and how adjusting any one setting will affect all the other three settings. If you don't understand this, it is a bit more hit and miss and you could certainly end up with any one of the so called problems described by others on this page. Going through a large rang of settings I've been able to induce and REMOVE every described problem on this page (with the exception of oil leaks, haven’t had any).

Installed weight is actually LIGHTER THAN CLAMED!

Nobody rides around with a foot long steerer tube so cut it to length before you weigh it!!! Depending on your frame size and number of spacers you'll find the weight about that clamed. If you’re a true weight weeny you'll drill, hack and file off the extra brake mounts you’re not using too.

80mm travel AS CLAMED!

Just letting the air out the positive chamber is not enough to measure all of the travel. The bumpers are actually compressible so that if you land that drop nose first your wrists will appreciate the last 4-6mm of travel at the bottom. The clunk they don’t make if you top out is due to the 2-3mm of bumper compression at the other end. (turn the bike upside down and pull the wheel up if you don't believe me). 73-74mm + 4-6mm + 2-3mm = Clamed travel!

No noticeable flex, I'm 62kg (137pounds).

To Dave from Thousand Oaks, a new Sid Race comes with a shock pump and instructions if you didn't get them on eBay you can download the instructions, and get yourself a pump, use it first on your positive chamber, bottom out will disappear. Make shore you have some damping pressure then turn the rebound at least a couple of full turns towards the little rabbit, ‘clunking head set noise’ should disappear. If you’re now topping out to much for your taste add some negative chamber pressure.
Now if the whole thing feels a bit stiff try more damping pressure and/or dropping both the positive and negative pressures at the same time etc. etc.….. It takes time but once tuned in the Sid Race is heaps better than the old Sid XC.

Happy riding.