RockShox Judy C 2003 Front Shocks

Weight : 4.70 lbs MSRP : $153.00

TRAVEL: 80 or 100 mm

SPRING: NEW! Dual Stage coil/elastomer spring
Adj: Preload

Submitted by steve a Downhiller from ga

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    hasnt leaked or bombed and has survived some nasty spills

Weaknesses:    none that i can tell yet other than it may be a little heavy

Bottom Line:
i have ridden this bike for about 9 years, pretty regularly . i like technical trails and catchin air and doin steep drop offs, i have wrecked more times than i can count, this shock seems to be durable, adjustable 3 settings that do seem to be different, one of the main things i can say is that these shox have been maintanence free durable and handle well on bumps.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   judy rock shox xc, nsyncty

Bike Setup:   hard tail xc, but ridden like freeridin downhill trial

Submitted by Ryan Ferraro a Weekend Warrior from North Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very inexpensive, and it does what it is made to do.

Weaknesses:    Funny noises, personal weakness for myself is the limited travel.

Bottom Line:
This is a great starter, or spare fork to have. I do xc/ mild freeride, and even with the upgraded heavy springs, I was bottoming out everywhere, I weigh 200lbs. Other than that its a decent fork, as far as other people saying it breaks easy, I've had this off some pretty good drops, and keep in mind I bought this shock used. Never had any problems. Remember you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   junk forks

Bike Setup:   good stuff, custom built

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Hull

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    Held up to some crazy abuse. Finaly last year the seals gave and I'm still riding the springs on my beater.

Weaknesses:    The fork never felt very nice, it's not plush. My friend had a new 04 and it was (and still is) very nice and plush.

Bottom Line:
I used this fork when I was starting the whole "street, freeride" thing and used to nose heavy drop the fork 4 feet to flat and it's still going. After a couple years of this abuse I moved on to a better fork and put the judy on my girlfriends bike and she's been riding it xc up to a few months ago. The seals are now shot but the fork has no play and no signs of wear perfect for my beater. Good job guys!

Similar Products Used:   Mar z3, Mar DJ3, Man 6, RS Boxxer, RS Psylo XC

Bike Setup:   02 specialized fsr pro (the bike I had when I was riding the fork)

Submitted by R J a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good and matches bike well. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    Lack of preload. Travel specs seem false.

Bottom Line:
Came stock on bike. Adjust preload and nothing happens. Stiff enough for road riding and absorbs mild trail riding well.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Purchased At:   Southwest Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700; Specialized Cross Country EX tires; Adjustable stem; Seatpost shock

Submitted by Jonathan Wee' jonowee' from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is not really a review but a responses to Genital Apparatus' review. GA if you completely unwind the preload knod, you will find the preload adjustment VALVE. Using a shockpump you can adjust your preload. It not an on-the-fly type adjuster.
I have ROCK SHOX's 2002 Judy XC fork installed to replace the RST fork that came with the bike cos RST stands for Really Sh!te Technology. Either this fork or the RST has proper damping, damping is the thing that separates suspension from pogosticks .period

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Charlottetown

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Strengths:    can fit 8" disc brakes, looks okay, can't get any closer to a ridgid fork, cheap cheap cheap

Weaknesses:    the uppers are silver so you can't take off the ugly boots, preload just turns and does nothing, it weighs a ton

Bottom Line:
The fork looks good, and does its job, but I bought it brand new off ebay for dirt cheap and I'm riding it in the winter, so that I don't destroy my DJ III's. When riding in sub-zero temperatures the thing has NO travel at all, which I don't mind because a rigid fork makes biking so much easier. But all-and-all it's a piece of junk, and would hate to see what a Judy TT rides like. But if you're looking for a disposable fork then this is the one for you

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Judy SL and Marzochi DJ III & II

Bike Setup:   I have it on a 21" Kona that I only ride on smooth trails, I have much better bikes for off road

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Strengths:    It absorbs some bumps. It looks nice and the colours match the rest of my bike. It has disc mounts.

Weaknesses:    Is it just me, or does my Preload knob do absolutely nothing? This is a pretty heavy fork; makes it difficult to lift the front wheel.

Bottom Line:
Well, to start off, I hate suspension altogether. I'm stuck with my Judy C fork because that's what came with my bike and I can't really afford to go buy a new fork. The Judy C may be good for beginners, but I wouldn't really recommend it as an upgrade because it isn't really "better" than any other forks on the market. Bottom line, use it if you've got it but don't buy it separately if you have a choice. I will soon be buying a rigid fork, so I can say goodbye to all of this talk about "travel" and the extra weight of springs and oil.

Favorite Trail:   Etobicoke Creek, Urban Trials

Purchased At:   Duke's On queen

Similar Products Used:   RST Capa CL.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock Pro, RaceFace handlebar and stem, Shimano drivetrain.

Submitted by peacefrog a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    keeps wheel attached to bike

Weaknesses:    generally sucks

Bottom Line:
Get a better fork if you ride trails that aren't paved. After riding friend's bikes with high-end (Sid) forks, there was no comparison. Log crawls & root covered trail sections were so much easier to ride on a better fork. The Judy C takes the big bumps, but seems to have very little recoil damping (if any).

Favorite Trail:   any tech-singletrack

Purchased At:   came w/ bike

Similar Products Used:   child's pogo-stick

Bike Setup:   stock Raleigh M80

Submitted by mikol a Weekend Warrior from Asia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    -cheap
-looks cool
-preload adjustment

Weaknesses:    -Flex
-100mm travel seems like 50mm
-Kinda heavy
-no rebound

Bottom Line:
good fork if you dont ride nasty bumpy trails. My old judy xl feels alot better

Similar Products Used:   Judy xl, boxxer, rst alfa2x, psyllo sl, rst hi5, fox forx

Bike Setup:   Giant nrs3

Submitted by Matthew Crosby a Cross Country Rider from Polson, Mt ,USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    nice preload adjustment, use can use all 100mm of Travel,

Weaknesses:    Not very laterally stiff, bends under heavy braking, kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
This fork is a good fork for the weekend warrior and cross country rider, not racer, its kinda heavy and bends so it doesnt give you much confidence on big hits, but its a good fork to upgrade an old bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Big Mtn