RockShox Duke XC 2003 Front Shocks

SPRING: Hydra Air
Adj: Positive air pressure via Schrader Valve

DAMPING: NEW! HC2
Adj: Rebound

Submitted by Ben Briant a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    The fork is fairly light and has good yet easy adjustment. Rebound adjust is also a good option to have.

Weaknesses:    Probably needs a service every year with changing oil etc. Some of the stickers ain't the best either.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great fork that can be used for nearly any kind of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Dandenong/Lysterfield

Oury grips
Maxxis Ignitors/Holy Rollers
DMR V8 pedals
Kore B1B stem
CaneCreek S-8 headset with sealed bearings.

Submitted by Allen a Cross Country Rider from Ft Walton Bch, FL

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Strengths:    Fairly light, adjustable ride. Reliable... never had any problems with it... except that it might have made my bike more attractive to the thief who stole it!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The RS Duke never caused me any greif, and really smoothed out the ride of my old dog of a bike. Although, for the Trek Y26, adding the Fox Vanilla rear shock made the most diff.

Favorite Trail:   Timberlake

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Replace stock RST that came on my old Trek Y26.

Bike Setup:   Between the Duke and the Fox Vanilla rear shock that I put on this heavy but sturdy bike, it rode like a heavy bike with smooth suspension... kind of like a Cadillac.

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Low maintenance, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    none that I have encountered

Bottom Line:
Good product, low hassle, hard to bottom out. Good travel/weight/price ratio!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   some judy carp

Bike Setup:   fast i drive

Submitted by moox a Cross Country Rider from Slovakia

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    Cheaper air/oil fork.

Weaknesses:    without air pump:)

Bottom Line:
I had replaced RST capa tl fork with duke and ride became smoother and faster. I think this is good fork for weekend warriors, whose visit some competition (XC races, marathon, etc.). The ratio weight/price/functionality is very good.

Purchased At:   KaktusBike

Similar Products Used:   RST Capa TL, Manitou Six elite, Suntour magnesium

Bike Setup:   Frame: Author vision (columbus zonal); shifters, derailleurs: alivio; Wheels: alexrims, ritchey; Others: ritchey, kalloy

Submitted by freedrider a Downhiller from slough

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    Light, stiff,

Weaknesses:    Could have better damping

Bottom Line:
I was quite pleased with these!
i used em for dirt jumping! doing 18ft jumps! (and big stair drops (1.5m)!) if you dont believe me check out my homepage picture www.angelfire.com/hero/biker0 - those are a pair of rock shox dukes!
i had em set up really hard - (much more than recommended top pressure) and had no promblems with them!!!!
they are light, stiff, strong,
they were nicked with my dirt jump bike so im gonna get another pair.....

Purchased At:   halfords - discount

suntours

Bike Setup:   hardtail jump bike

Submitted by Joe Speer a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    It is a pretty nice fork if it will last enough to get you around. For the price it is pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Within 10 weeks the seal blew out and I sent it back to Rock Shox and they gave it back to me on my Stock Fuel 90. The next day it was broken and the seal was moved up about a 1/2 inch with hardly any travel on it.

Bottom Line:
It is an okay Fork for the price but the seals are not the best quality.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Heights

Purchased At:   Prairie Path Cyclery w/bike

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back 1992 Outlook. Raleigh M-30.

Bike Setup:   XT - Rear Derailleur.
LX - Front Derailleur and shifters.
Fox Float R - Rear Shock
Rock Shock Duke XC - Fork

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Dillsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    Rebound adjust although I set it all the way to "Fast" and left it there. Since it is air sprung, you can make it as stiff or as plush as you want. Fairly lightweight performs well.

Weaknesses:    In the year that I've used it, I haven't had any complaints about it.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent fork for a good price. There are better forks out there but I'm 100% satisfied with my Duke XC. It is priced nicely too. I haven't had to have anything done to it and performs fine. If you're looking for a nice fork for XC riding/racing, this one will work fine for you. I have used it on some pretty technical stuff and it works fine.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Purchased At:   Came stock on Trek Fuel 90

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 90 with IRC Myhtos XC 2.1 kevlar tires and Kool Stop MTB (salmon and black) brake pads.

Submitted by jeff a Racer from Jax, FL

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Strengths:    Durability,price,simple

Weaknesses:    not a

Bottom Line:
I had an 03 Duke Race on the bike for a few weeks. I prefer the XC (nearly identicle weight). Very durable with only normal oil changes needed to maintain consistant performance. There are lighter, more sensitive, more sophisticated forks. This is a very simple, tough, stiff air fork that can be easily maintained. Sensitive to small changes in air pressure & oil viscosity. Anything that can last a full season of training/racing and still function this well gets 5 frickin chili peppers

Favorite Trail:   San Falasco

Similar Products Used:   manitou (various)

Bike Setup:   Full race Sugar

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from currently Taiwan

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    durability and reliability

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last review. I got my shock back from Rockshox and on the 4th ride, it blew out again. I was riding along on a paved path and heard a hissing sound. I lost all air dampening. When I got home, there was 53 psi in the shock. I had topped it off with 125 psi before the ride. Rockshox said they replace the piston o-ring and the groove it went on was in spec. I am going with a Judy XC. If I hadn't given my Judy TT away, I'd put it back on. Dual springs are for me. I put 3 stinky farts because I don't want to skew the reviews too much. There is a chance that I just got a dog.

Similar Products Used:   Judy TT

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC

Submitted by RONNIE a Weekend Warrior from ALBUQUERQUE,NM

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    SWEET RIDE, GREAT VALUE/PRICE RATIO

Weaknesses:    PLAIN VANILLA LOOK

Bottom Line:
GREAT UPGRADE FROM MY SID. THIS IS A GREAT SHOCK, SOAKS UP ANYTHING ON THE TRAIL. JUST RIDING IT BUILDS MY CONFIDENCE. IT TAKES GREAT DROPS (NOTHING OVER 4 FEET). IT HAS HAD NO PROBS, NO LEAKS, NO REBOUND PROBS. I GIVE THIS A GREAT REVIEW. BUY IT IF YOU NEED A MIDRANGED PRICE-GREAT PERFORMANCE FORK.

Similar Products Used:   SID, JUDY TT, BOXXER, NOLEEN AIR

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Lufkin, TX, US of A

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Good performance, adjustability is great for different riding conditions and rider's weight.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than the SID, but so far no maintenance probs.

Bottom Line:
This is a good shock for a retail value of $300. If you are a competitive rider or racer, or even an advanced recreational rider who wants a good quality fork without the maintenance nighmares of a SID, buy the Duke. I have not been disappointed. I ride very hard and on technical tracks, including 12 and 24 hour races. My Duke has performed like a champ and continues to smooth out the drops and thuds better than any other fork in this price range. Yes, it's a bit heavier than the SID, but the SID is for pro's who have their own personal mechanic following them around to keep fixing the damned thing. Get the Duke and enjoy riding without equipment problems or hassles.

Favorite Trail:   Any tight singletrack

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Other RS shocks, Marzocci, Fox forks.

Bike Setup:   '03 Trek 8000, mostly stock but with a few tweaks.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from currently Taiwan

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, responsive

Weaknesses:    reliability

Bottom Line:
After only 2 months of riding on paved bike paths, I took a 4 inch drop and heard a loud cracking noise. The shock depressed completely and I carefully went home with it. I got home and put air in it and it returned to normal. I contacted the folks at Rockshox and they were very nice. They seem to think it is a blown gasket. I can still use the fork by putting air in it before every ride, it goes down to 60psi over night. I am going to get it repaired, but I must say I am completely disappointed with this shock. I believe bike components are way over-priced and that a fork like this one shouldn't have this kind of problem. I couldn't trust this fork out on a bike tour, and therefore is next to worthless for me. I will keep it on this bike for training purposes only. This product doesn't deliver for what it is meant for, very bad.