Maverick Fork 2003 Front Shocks

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

-150mm travel. On-the-fly convertible to 100mm for climbing (still active)
-Welded upside down, double crown design
-True quick release drop outs with 24.0mm through axle
-Integrated stem bolts directly to upper crown. Three lengths available - 70, 90, and 105 mm
-Three upper crown heights fit most frame sizes. Works with both standard and integrated headsets
-Air sprung, oil damped system (air spring on one side, damper on the other). External rebound adjustment
-50.0mm upper tubes, 32.0mm inner
-Weight: Fork only - 1500gr (3.25 lbs.) Stem complete - 105gr
-Optional 24.0mm Maverick hub also available

Submitted by Ben Duke a Racer from Boulder, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, lots of travel, smooth travel, 20mm axel... its pretty much just awesome!!!

Weaknesses:    If compared to a downhill fork at twice the weight, it is not as stiff and can feel a little dippy or sloppy... but this is only compared to like a boxer DH fork. Compared to other xc forks, it kicks ass

Bottom Line:
Well worth every penny. Maverick is great w/ any warrenty issues, so have no fear if anything goes wrong, they'll take care of you... also, very easy to work on, simple yet very effective design that will leave your buddies in your dust!!!

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla, Fox RLX, Rock shock Psylo

Bike Setup:   custom

Submitted by Gilles a Cross Country Rider from France

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, light

Weaknesses:    design or maturity ? no different height for the steem

Bottom Line:
this fork is incredible, acts like a coil fork, progressive, lightweight. All compliments that you could find below.
But Since I got it 2 problems occured. First the rebound is not working in full travel and this seems to be the case for most of these forks.
Then the travel adjustement doesn't work anymore, starting at 100mm it goes back to 150mm in few seconds. Weird :(
Does anyone have this problem ?
Without these problems I would give the highest rating for this fork but I'll see how is the Maverick support for this issues and rate it later.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas, fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Hope M4

Submitted by Dave from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my review that stated my Maverick Fork busted. Paul Turner (Maverick and Rock Shox founder)has kept me informed on how they (Maverick) have changed their inspection process to keep what happened to my fork from happening to future Maverick Forks. I had bought one of the original batches when their testing was in its infancy. Their testing has since changed for the better. Maverick has increased the thickness of their sliders to prevent cracking and failure on future forks. I'm writing this additional review because I'm very impressed that Maverick's follow up with me has been so thorough. I'd be willing to test this fork again.

Favorite Trail:   Carlmont

Purchased At:   Trailhead Cyclery

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Aussie)

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Strengths:    LIGHT (3.5lbs)! 6 inch travel inverted fork... plush, very stiff and soaks up everything agressive trail riding has to offer. 4-6 inch lockout for climbing - literally at your finger tips. The "quick release" is truly a quick release. The Mavericks forks are simply to install and tune. Simply the best fork out there for its intended purpose.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to fit a front guard. These forks make mtb riding addictive.

Bottom Line:
The Maverick fork looks awesome. They are very plush, very stiff, with superior handling performance... all of this at half their competitor’s weight! This fork is truly amazing - it will make you ride faster and make possible what you thought was not.

The Maverick fork is light enough for cross country, perfect for aggressive trail riding and strong enough for downhill. Light going uphill and confidence inspiring coming down. On the trail the steering is precise, the ride is smooth and the handling superb.

Riding with a Maverick American fork will give you an unfair advantage. For 2004 at least… the holy grail of mtb forks!

Favorite Trail:   Kiara & Hulu Yam

Purchased At:   Flying Ball (Hong Kong)

Similar Products Used:   I have owned Marzocchi Z150s, Marzocchi FR SL, Fox F100X & Psylo Race. But these are not similar products... they don't compare.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz 03'Bullit large frame with 5th Element. Black Maverick American forks, Rohloff Speedhub gearbox, Rotor System Ti crank, Mavic D3.1 Rims, Hayes HFX Mag discs, Maxm carbon bars, Thompson stem and seatpost, 26x2.5 WTB Weirwolfs (with Stans) and ChrisKing headset. (6'1" and 190lb... bike total weight 35lb).

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Redwood City

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome feel, light

Weaknesses:    Thin slider tubes. Breaks on trails with ruts. Cannot handle torsional loads.

Bottom Line:
Coming down a rocky trail and the right slider broke and came out of the quick release cup. I crashed hard on the rocks on the steep downhill. Nothing else broke, on me or my bike, but I won't ride this fork again. I took it back to trailhead cyclery and they gave me a full refund for the fork and the hub and I bought a Marz Z150. Don't use this fork for anything other than cross country. If Maverick puts a little more material in the sliders and quick release cup, the problem may be fixed. To boot, we have the whole thing on video, it's painful to watch. Caused my buddy to wreck behind. Maverick; you gotta fix this problem, it's a liability for your company.

Favorite Trail:   Montaro

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro, Hope

Submitted by Hans Strobel a Cross Country Rider from Eugene Oregon, U.S.A

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    The double crown inverted fork with intergrated stem and hub
make this a very light, high perfomance stearing machine. The increased wheel base helps in cornering. The Maverick fork has no lock out and the switch from four to six inches of travel with adjustable rebound is ingenius. This fork is a must for riders who are concerned with light-weight performance, adjustibility, and durability.

Weaknesses:    I found it hard to mount any manufactured front fender and computer. It is also almost impossible to mount on standard yakima fork roof racks. There is a 20mm mount from yakima but no 24mm at this time. I am designing a mount for the 24m quick release.
If you are ok with having both wheels on the roofrack or use a sports rack or product of that type, there are no problems. However, this fork is not affordable for the frugal rider.

Bottom Line:
Who else but the Pual Turner team could design a fork that will revolutionize how we ride in the 21st century. For the first time, I have seen a double crown that is not bolted together but welded together. The intergration of the stem, fork and hub is going to leave industry heads scratching.

Kudos to the guys and girls at Maverick American. Congrats to all who ride these not only very functional but beautiful forks.

Favorite Trail:   HARDSY

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox Forxs are good but shaky compared to the Maverick fork.

Bike Setup:   I found Maverick forks can be adjusted for all riding conditions.

Submitted by Rolfe Horn a Downhiller from Oakland, CA, usa

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, extremely stiff (like my Foes F1-XL), 24mm axel and cool quick release... Words can't describe how good this thing is....

Weaknesses:    A bit of oil seepage from the seals when it is new, though it subsides after about 20 hours or so of riding.

Bottom Line:
I believe that these forks are the greatest think to happen to mountain biking since rear suspension. This is the fork for me. I have been riding a triple clamp fork since 1996, the original Hanebrink 6". Several months ago, I decided to buy a lighter bike, because all my riding buddies were schooling me on uphills my heavy-arse Foes Fly during 3-4 hour rides. I tried a Heckler with the Fox Vanilla 125, it was good, but the rear flexed considerably on the Heckler, when compared to the Foes Fly. A buddy decided to get the Foes FXR, and after I rode it (very impressed), I ordered one up the next day. The Foes FXR was as stiff as my Fly, but less travel. The Fox Vanilla forks work good, but when I decided to do the local downhill trails, they seemed to flex and kick the tire all around, not keeping the line like my heavier Fly.

One day, being bummed about the Fox, I called a L.B.S. who had the Maverick fork on a test bike. I liked it, and was fortunate to find one in the classifieds here at MTBR.com.

A couple Months later, here I am praising at hpw well this fork works. I can rail the trails here as if I am on my downhill bike, This fork feels just like my Foes F1-XL fork, only it is not as supple on the smaller stuff. I have done big log drops without the front end squirming like the Fox did. It is amazing. Simply.

If you are looking for a fork that is 3 1/2 pounds, and as stiff as a DH fork, this is it! It'll be perfect for the Sea Otter DH! (Oh, yeah, it an XC fork with 6 inches of travel). Crazy, I know.

Think about the Marzocchi Z150 SL, what is it, about 6+ pounds, and $699? Add anonther $80 for a Thompson stem, and$100 for a King hub, and your spending more $$ than if you bought the Maverick, which is 6X as stiff, and half the weight!

The Maverick was the no brainer for me, and it should be for you, too.

Favorite Trail:   KGB

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla 125, an old '96 Hanebrink, Stratos Superstar, Foes F1-XL

Bike Setup:   Maverick front, Foes FXR, Curnutt Ti, Thompson, Hayes, King, Raceface, etc.. (my light bike 28 pounds) - My heavy bike (43 pounds)is a Foes Fly w/ F1-XL with similar components.

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Corrales, NM

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Long smooth travel in a stiff light package.

Weaknesses:    No owners manuel - yet.

Bottom Line:
This fork is awesome. I was a little concerned with the geometry before I rode it, but it was an unfounded fear. The Fork is super plush, and very stiff for it's weight/travel. I was riding the special tuned Rock Shox Psylo - which was great - but the Maverick Fork has taken me to the next level.

What was suprising about the fork is that it is better uphill than my Psylo. The front of my bike just pops off the ground at my command, even seated, but not when you don't want it to though. This makes it easier to climb over shelves and step-ups as you can keep more momentum as you pull the front tire over the obstical. The steering is different but not too much so and is better for downhilling than before. You do notice the light front-end when on insanely steep trails, but it can be countered by good technique. A minor weakness, if you can even call it that.

If you are considering this fork, let me help guide you. It was intended for riders who go out and try to ride every inch of the trail that day, and who ride for 4,5,6,.... Hours in a row on epic rides, who are not racing but still move very quickly over the miles. It is for riders who want more technical ability downhill and up, who like losing weight on their bike only if it performes equally or better than it did before. If that describes you some or all of the time, then it is absolutely worth the money, if that doesn't describe you, it is probably still the fork you should ride - you will just be more upset about the Value.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundry

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Cycles

Similar Products Used:   there is no similar product.

Bike Setup:   Maverick ML7 with all "03 XTR", Mavic Crossmax Rims, WTB weirwolf 2.1 tires, Easton carbon riser bar, Eggbeater pedals, carbon seatpost.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Design, setup, build quality, 4"&6" travel modes both active, integrated hub, 24mm axle with quick release, very light, incredibly rigid.

Weaknesses:    None! I'm a fit 235lbs. and need a fork that remains stable under all conditions. I tend to flex most XC forks and the downhill bomb-squad forks are not an option as I ride for conditioning which means chair lifts are out.

Bottom Line:
If you're a cross country or all mountain rider looking for the stability and performance of a downhill fork without the weight buy one.

Your riding will improve on both the uphill and downhill sections.

It's truly underpriced given the wide range of performance benefits included with the fork. Paul Turner and Maverick have raised the bar, Thank you!

Favorite Trail:   Preston Trail / Tiger Mtn.

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   The usual suspects, Fox, Rock Shock, Marzocchi, Manitou. Here's the problem, NO similar products exist to make these comparisons! For climbing compare it to the best XC forks. For the decent compare it to the best Freeride and Downhill forks.

Bike Setup:   Maverick ML7, Maverick Fork w/integrated hub and stem, Full Shimano XTR except for hubs, XT Rotors and Durace Front Derallier, Hugi 240 rear hub, Mavic X3.1 rims, Continental Vertical Pros, Easton Monkey light XC, Shimano 959 pedals.

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Strengths:    Ultralight, plush, stiff. Strong, so far... Awesome design!

Weaknesses:    A little pricey, but that's it. Great fork.

Bottom Line:
Done quite a few drop offs and hard landing with this fork, can take it all. Keeps the front wheel tracking on the trail, when needed. Jumps and lands well. Front end pulls up easy since it's so light. Was skeptical about how light it was, but seems to be holding up well.

Purchased At:   Trailhead

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by Bruce a Weekend Warrior from Gloucester

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    stiff,light,plush,plush,bombproof,did I mention stiff,light,and plush?

Weaknesses:    none so far,some people may be turned off by the price but don't be, your also getting a sweet hub and stem.

Bottom Line:
this fork is amazing. I've been beating the s**t out of it since september riding everthing from aggressive trail rides to drop sessions,I've flat landed a 7' more than once. The fork takes the big hits and the small hits all day long. I am truly dumb-founded by the range this fork has. HAT'S OFF TO MAVERICK!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Seaside Cycles,Manchester-by-the-Sea, ma

Similar Products Used:   you name it,from weenie light weight cross country forks to double crown lead filled down hill.

Bike Setup:   It's hanging on a 03 heckler.

Submitted by TommyO a Cross Country Rider from Falls Church, VA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of travel in a light, strong package.

Weaknesses:    Too expensive for most.

Bottom Line:
Some fork stats:

At full travel, the center of axle to crown race distance is approximately 19.75 inches. The same measurement on my Fox Vanilla 125 is approximately 19.25 inches.

Locking down the Maverick takes it to about 19 inches.

As indicated on my digital bathroom scale, the Maverick fork and 90mm stem weigh 1 pound less than my Vanilla and an Azonic 70mm stem. The scale operates in 0.5 pound increments, so take that as you will. On the trail, the fork is noticeably lighter. I mean, it feels really obscenely light.

Ok, performance:

The main thing I noticed is the steering. The welded fork legs are rock solid, and form an exceptionally rigid assembly when connected to the big through-axle. I did ride a through-axle Manitou Sherman last year, and it felt solid too, but it weighed about twice as much as this fork.

As expected, the fork's air spring feels pretty linear through most of its travel. The inevitable end-of-travel hook is tunable by adding oil to the air spring chamber. Decrease air volume, and the spring rate hooks earlier and more steeply. I left it alone, and it was good.

Maverick recommends running about 40mm of sag. I had a hard time finding my sweet spot today, and will probably keep playing with air pressure for a while. Anywhere from 30mm to 45mm of felt good.

The problem is getting both front and rear suspension to work in concert. Normally, I can't feel the rear suspension working at all, but without making adjustments today it was noticeable. Noticeable is non-optimal.

When the fork is tuned, the front wheel tracks like a cruise missile. It's disconcerting. My Vanilla is smooth, but not like this. The Maverick has less unsprung mass to damp, and the steering is crazy good. Rocks, roots... everything just disappears.

These are the fork’s principal characteristics: Outstanding steering precision and terrain compliance. Fly low and fast and you will be rewarded.

Since there's so much travel, one must be disciplined and progressive with the front brake. Ham-fisting will throw the suspension off. Brake early, settle, then corner hard.

In some cases, compression damping is pretty firm. When you land a jump, or drop the front wheel over a log pile, you can feel the oil circuit really firm up. It keeps you from pile driving your head, but takes getting used to. I suspect that some people will complain about this. Hey, learn to ride more aggressively and you might find some value in it.

I had some trouble hitting a few jumps. If a log pile is relatively smooth and shallow, I typically pre-load my fork and huck off the pile. As I said, the front wheel tracks the ground amazingly well. It won't spring up as effortlessly as with a Vanilla.

I think I just need to pre-load more aggressively, and get used to different timing.

I rode one climb with the fork locked down to 100mm. Whatever. Maybe if I were cranking up some Western fire-road I'd do it, but not here in Virginia.

Thing is, at full travel, the fork doesn't really bob that much anyway. From what I understand, the fork's valving is pretty simple, but it sure does work.

A few final words:

This thing begs for a strong wheel and a fat tire.

Go with Mavic F519 rims. They're light, solid, and pretty wide.

I rode a Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 today, but it's not enough tire. In the wet, I'll probably run a Survival Pro 2.3, and in the dry, a WTB MotoRaptor 2.4. If you don't get enough rubber on the ground, you'll waste all that mad suspension.

So, my bike, an ML-7 with XTR, King and Maverick hubs laced to F519 rims, big tires, and Hayes brakes weighs *about* 26.5 pounds. If I were to run little sissy tires, lighter rims, spokes, and alloy spoke nipples, and puny brakes then I could drop that to 25 pounds I think. But what fun would that be?

The problem with high-end bike equipment today is that it's all so damn good, how can you really compare one item to another? My Vanilla 125 changed my riding style and really did the job for me. But you know, this thing feels one louder.

It goes to 11.

Favorite Trail:   The Bear Wallow

Purchased At:   Frank's garage

Similar Products Used:   There isn't one. Other XC forks are toys.

Bike Setup:   ML-7 with the good stuff.

Submitted by Steve Silberman from Boulder

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Strength (torshional), weight, simplicity, ease of tuning.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Imagine if you will, walking into a bike shop and asking for a fork that is as light as a SID but is as stiff as a Boxxer. You'd be laughed out of store. Or maybe that was the case up until now.....So I got a Maverick for and here's how I'm finding it works.
Air tuning is simple. The left leg has an air valve that allows for spring tuning while the right leg lets you make "travel plans". I've been calling this feature the "Osama bin lockdown". It doesn't lock the fork out, rather it limits the travel from 6 to 4 inches. It's almost imposible to make the fork bob in 4 inch position. this selection from 4 to 6 is made from a simple 1/4 turn switch. 6 inch has been very plush while the 4 gives a very tight and lively ride.
THe fork's structure is flat out stiff! I'm hitting stuff that would make a grown man brace for impact. I notice the stiffness most under braking. No flex under force. I can hold a straight line through steep technical drops and still change course at will.
I like Maverick's new quick release. No screwing with a skewer. Very nice.
Is it worth 800.00 bucks. yep! considering how easy the setup is and how well it works I'd say it's a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   JM