Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 2003 Front Shocks

4.69/5 (45 Reviews)

- 105mm Travel (reduceable to 85mm)
- NEW Open Bath SSVF Valving
- External Preload & Rebound Control
- 30mm Aluminum Stanchions

Submitted by arigo a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    Very good fork performance
easy to use LO & ETA & rebound
reliable
very reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    none so far
ZAG bearly move at my weight 68kg

Bottom Line:
best fork for under 200$ price.
Didnt find yet a better one for XC uses!

Favorite Trail:   many XC trails

Purchased At:   germany

Similar Products Used:   tora302 XCM suntour rst

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche 1.0 LX components, MAvic 717 & XT

Submitted by Dave L a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth, great value, not much flex if any, very reliable, ETA feature works great, excellent build quality, look great!

Weaknesses:    Just a little overweight, but I still love em.

Bottom Line:
An outstanding fork, especially for the money. I bought these preowned on ebay based on what I had read here on the mtbr site. They were like new in original box with manual. Almost as smooth as my Fox forks and WAY MORE RELIABLE. So far, no reliability issues at all. I highly recommend these forks.

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Rock Shox, Manitou

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Nottingham

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    Reliability

Weaknesses:    They are a bit heavy if that worries you.
Lack of a range of springs

Bottom Line:
I was give these as an insurance replacement for some nicked Judys.

I've ridden them on average twice a week for the last 3 years and they have been ace.

They have been totally predictable and reliable at all times, what more can you aske for?

All I've had to do to them is change the oil 4 times, this takes about half an hour once you know what you are doing and is pretty easy now.

I'm about 14 stone with all my riding kit on and there is only one spring available. When you use the air spring to increase the spring rate it prevents you from getting the full travel. So they only get 100mm of travel.

All in the fact I've ridden these hard and they still have no problems makes me happy:)

Favorite Trail:   Black route at glentress

Purchased At:   Insurance replacement

Similar Products Used:   Judy sl, Marzocchi Z4, Marzocchi Junior t, Marzocchi Super monstor, Maverick SC32, Manitou Nixon platinum

Bike Setup:   Cove stiffee, xt, Avid Jucy, race face, easton

Submitted by Pete Creswell a Cross Country Rider from Paoli PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Strengths:    I can't think of any. Whey work... but they're *supposed* to work... and they don't work all that wonderfully for me.

Weaknesses:    My experience is that user servicing of seals is not
realistic. I bought Marzocchi partially because somebody
somewhere in a magazine review touted them as being the
most user-servicable - but that article was few years back.

Their instructions say "Pry the dust seal up with a small screwdriver". No way Jose'.... those suckers are about welded in there. Others I've corresponded with report
the same.

And, maybe a nit - but these are supposed to be technical people writing these instructions - what, pray tell, is a "small" screwdriver??? They could have said something like "5 mm to 7 mm wide.

After removability of seals, we have price.

Four seals: $45.00. The same kit for a Fox fork is $15.

Also, a few other things:
--------------------------------------------------
1) The rebound adjusters on both my Pro shocks spontaneously loosened and fell off. I'd opine that they should have been set in LocTite at the factory

2) The schraeder valve for airing up the shock is recessed. Makes it difficult to get a pump screwed on/off without losing excessive pressure.

3) The manual is *bad*. There's just nothing positive
to say about it.

4) I never could get the rebound set the way I want it.
Basically, I want to be able to descend a trail where
they've put in railroad ties to control erosion -
creating a sort of stairway - without bouncing out of
control. They were just too boingy-boingy. Probably
some kind of adjustment thing on my part, but I never
could get them to work under those conditions.

Bottom Line:
The price is low, but they rape you on the replacement/overhaul parts and the manual sucks canal water.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi X-Fly 100, Cannondale Lefty.

Submitted by Maxlude a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2005

Strengths:    looks good...lovely smooth stroke and adjustable rebound does not bottom out or snap to extension...ETA...Price...i bought a close out as its the practically the same as the 2004/5 model just different colors...and got a Marzocchi low pressure pump and WrenchForce High pressure pump too :P

Weaknesses:    ETA lever is fragile...i used loctite on it and the rebound adjuster before fitting on bike...also i find the bottom of fork legs are a bit flexy for me...im 160lbs and have air prssure set to 30psi with rebound 1 turn to +

Bottom Line:
i like these forks...gives lots better control and comfort than my modded to the limit RS Indy's! They take about 100miles to bed in and loosen up...has never leaked any air since i've had them...i dont really like Italian made equipment usually...but Marzocchi is the real deal.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Not many but chose these forks from the reviews on this website.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo zobop full suspension...Titec bars/seat post...Race face stem...WTB SpeedV saddle...Mavic rims...shimano gears/brakes.

Submitted by Mel Timtiman a Weekend Warrior from Las Pinas, Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Strengths:    Nice design and color, ETA is the best feature. Loaded it with 45 psi and at 170 lbs., it performed perfectly compared to the Judy TT. I ride about 15 miles of trail every weekend and I don't get the feeling of numbness or pain on my arms. No problem with rocks and boulders and even sudden pot holes. It can even handle 3 to 4 feet jumps but I dont recommend that. Will upgrade soon to the 2004 model for longer travel

Weaknesses:    ETA lever has the tendency to fall off. Loctite it but be careful not to put too much. My lever got stuck and had to turn it using a plier. After some turning it softened up and is just perfect.

Bottom Line:
Best fork at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended for weekend warriors and cross country riders. Want to conquer Mr. Mayon with my zocchi in March, 2005 if it doesn't blow its peak before that month.

Favorite Trail:   Sta Rosa, Mt. Isarog,

Purchased At:   King's. Look for Jane. She"ll give you a good price. She's pretty too!!!

Similar Products Used:   Judy, Manitou

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC frame, Shimano LX rollers, cranks, and casette, Avid Ball Bearing, Mavic rims, Tioga tires, Specialized saddle, Thomson Elite seat post, TruVativ stem, Turbolite handle bars

Submitted by EDDIE JONES a Cross Country Rider from GARDENDALE, AL

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome adjustability. Stiff, no flex. ETA

Weaknesses:    The little plastic nob to adjust the rebound fell off on the 2nd ride but you can still adjust it with the right size socket. No biggie.

Bottom Line:
I am a clydesdale (280lbs) and this bike with this fork and wheels has held up admirably to anything that I throw at it. The adjustability is awesome. Just air up the shock to set preload adjust the rebound to full slow and you can take on just about anything. The quality s second to none. I doubt even a Fox would be as stiff and plush. And rock shox and manitou have nothing in this price range that even comes close.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Link

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Xvert, Headshok Fattly DL

Bike Setup:   1999 Super V 1000 SL with MX Pro with ETA, XTR rear and XT front, Rhyno-lite XL rims with XT hubs, Pazazz seatpost, Raceface cranks, Flite gel ti seat, good and evil grips, gripshift, IRC Kujo tires, Cane Creek headset, XTR v-brakes

Submitted by Dave Cael a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    This fork works very well once you get the thing setup right. Had to play with the rebound damping a bit to find a good setting. Fork has great looks. I really like the lockout feature for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Fork is on the heavy side. Does not have compression damping adjustment. Rebound damping adjuster knob came off and was lost on one of the first rides with it. The manual should have more information on setting up the fork damping.

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork for the price and seems to soak up the bumps fairly well. I have not used to many different forks so cannot be a very good judge. I think that the Marzocchi manufacturing quality is very good.

Favorite Trail:   Submarine Rock, Sedona , AZ

Purchased At:   internet shop out of business now

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Mag 20, Judy SL, Girvin Fork.

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade, Marzocchi MX Pro , SRAM 9.0, Mavic 217, Hope Hubset, Hope Mini disc brakeset. Raceface Prodigy crankset, Easton carbon hb and sp. WTB saddle.

Submitted by Colin a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    Light enough w/ that smooth Marzocchi ride. ETA is a lifesaver...best innovation for yrs to come. Stiff,STRONG
Good customer service

Weaknesses:    plastic eta lever, rebound adjust(fell off...) and air cap 60mm of travel = 40 oz. haze

Bottom Line:
bought this fork as an EP and slapped it on my cad4 hardtail. This forked was buttery smooth and stuff. The flex (matted to a good stuff hub of course)is slim at best. The ETA really is amazing. You can have all mountain absorbtion and still climb like a HT. I have ridden alot of forks and Marzocchi is the only way to go. They are a bit heavier then other forks in the price range, but it is completely worth it. Can't even really tell the difference unless your on a scale. The only beef i had was that the ETA lever is a lil piece of plastic along with the rebound knob (which i lost on the trail)Got a new FS frame for 04 and as soon as i found out that 04 models are up to 120mm travel, i had to get myself one. Locked tited that rebound adjuster before i mounted the fork. The new ETA lever looks pimp and is no longer plastic. Nice play Marzocchi. Basically, this is a great fork for agressive all mountain use. The new 04 is sure to be better yet.

Purchased At:   EP @my shop

Similar Products Used:   judy's, shermans, blacks, newer RS garbage

Bike Setup:   03 AC, 04 mx pro w/eta, atomlab, raceface,thomson, hugi, xt

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior from San Juan Capistrano

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    I highly recommend this shock. Nothing comes close in its class. ETA works great!

Weaknesses:    None! Everything about this shock works well.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this shock. Nothing comes close in its class. ETA works great! GREAT SHOCK! I had it for about a month and I took it for a few rides and it works great. I love it! If you buy a XC shock, this is all you need. The105mm can be brought down to 85mm and the 120mm can be brought down to 105mm. the steer is bomb proof.

Favorite Trail:   Joplin and San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   PRICE POINT.COM

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z2 Atom, Fox RL Float

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Primo

Submitted by Chucky a Cross Country Rider from Western US

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Strengths:    2003 105mm. Great action - sucks up rough when needed, but not "squishy". Has taken everything I've given it - 2 to 3ft drops (160lbs). If it were a $500 shock I'd be happy, but I got got mine for $199.

ETA is GREAT! I love that I can reduce the height of the shock for hills and maintain two inches of travel while locked out!

Weaknesses:    Plastic ETA lever is a joke. Replace it with a 4mm wing nut and star washer before you break it and lose the screw. Be CAREFUL removing the bottom dampner screw - I know someone who blew the entire cartrigde while unscrewing (to add loctite) with FINGER pressure alone! Hold that plastic cap w/ pliers while working the alen wrench!

Bottom Line:
Probably the best deal out there for under $500. Get one - you'll dig it! Especially now that there is a 120mm version! Sure hope price doesn't go up!

Favorite Trail:   rocky and fast!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver,WA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Looks really cool. Lockout feature with small amount of travel. Convenient air pressure service point. Excellent installation and maintenance manual.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side. Damper adjuster knob fell off on first ride.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great fork so far. Nicely smooths out large to small bumps. Fork is a bit heavy at over 4 lbs. Quality of manufacturing is very nice. The only problem I've had so far is loosing the plastic damper adjustment knob whick basically just snaps into the bottom of the damper cartridge internal hex socket. I can still use an allen wrench to make adjustment. I recommend this fork to anyone who would like a great deal and a top performing fork that is not to weight conscious.

Favorite Trail:   Newberry Caldera, OR

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy XC, Proflex Girvin linkage fork, Mag 20

Bike Setup:   2002 Titus Switchblade,Fox Float RLC, SRAM gripshift and rear derail,Mavic/Hope wheelset, Hope Mini Disc, Chris King HS.

Submitted by Craig Manning a Weekend Warrior from Sparks NV USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness, Coil spring, ETA

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Superior fork, compared to the Duke XC, seems like I bought the Duke at K-Mart. Irons out everything on the trail, big hits, small bumps, braking bumps, tracks like it is on rails, was worried about changing from 80mm travel to 105 mm travel but actually made the bike handle better. ETA is great for climbing, makes climbing steep, loose hills a piece of cake. Had read about te ETA knob falling off and it was loose when the fork arrived, but I used loctite on it when I installed it and it had stayed put. Was considering a Fox, but for half the money, I got a fork the I think outperforms the Fox

Purchased At:   Jenson USA