Manitou Skareb Super 2003 Front Shocks

4.11/5 (35 Reviews)
Weight : 3 lbs MSRP : $449.95

Features:
80mm travel Air/Coil, TPC damping, adjustable air & rebound, Lockout, Semi-bath with Evil Genius Seals, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Alloy steerer tube

Submitted by Kat a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Plush feel on smooth, run outs.

Weaknesses:    Way too much flex. I wiegh 105 and when I let loose downhill the whole front end wobbles. Switchbacks it flexes so much they are hard to make.

Bottom Line:
This was my first 80mm shock and I thought it was alright at first...then after some time on the bike and going faster ...I actually stopped to check to see if my front wheel was going to come off. High speed, technical single track is not good for this shock. On real tight switchbacks it has so much play that they are downright impossible. I was better on my old Mag 21's. If your an agressive downhill rider this is not the shock for you. If your riding smooth stuff at slow speeds it will work.

Purchased At:   titus

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti RacerX

Submitted by Shamus a Weekend Warrior from Roswell, GA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light, stiff, and very plush

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of

Bottom Line:
The fork has been an awesome fork. I bought it in October of '02 and haven't had one single problem with it. The fork is still as plush and smooth as the day I bought it. When I bought the bike back in September of '02, it had a blown Manitou Mars 00 CL fork on it. I sent it back to Manitou to be rebuilt and they said to couldn't be rebuilt, so they gave me a sweet deal on this fork. Everyone who rides my bike always comments on how smooth the fork is.

Purchased At:   Thru. Answer/Manitou

Bike Setup:   Wolf Creek titanium hardtail, Kooka cranks, Avid Arch Rival brakes.

Submitted by Frankie a Cross Country Rider from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    i live in malaysia where manitou don't have any service centre but their online customer service had help me a lot (nothing better not even a 5 star hotel). they acknowledge the problem and sending me parts and even the necessary oil (stickers too). they send it all the way from US to malaysia by ups. they also included the service manuals. although the fork has some lock-out problem but the after sales service does worth the extra money paying for the fork.

Weaknesses:    lock-out is not very reliable, but just use it with cautions and always do the required maintenances.

Bottom Line:
the 04 has improved but the 03 is still impressive. it's basically the same as 04 skareb super except for the lock-out catridge. it's by far my best xc fork.

Submitted by Frankie from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    plush, good traction, lighweight and nice colour.

Weaknesses:    not really rigid and expensive.

Bottom Line:
i never expect that manitou will send me replacement parts for my troublesome lock-out. they have send me a new rebound assembly, the semi-bath oil, fork oil, manual and even new stickers for my fork. well and they send it by ups. now i know why does the fork cost so much. it's the services that they have promise to deliver.

Submitted by Cyklyzt a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    Does ok job soaking up bumps.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't track well, sloppy. Unsure at speed. Lock out wont unlock, had to ship it in for service. lock out works now, but I've moved somewhere that would cost me a mint to have it serviced, so i can't use the lock out for fear it will fail again.

Bottom Line:
i put a $20 rigid fork on to replace this POS. bike rides great now. it's stiff and solid. and if i see the bump coming all is good. i'm sure i'll wreck hard with it someday, but i probably would with a susp fork too. might save up the cash for a Fox, then again, might just keep it rigid.

Anyone who wants a headache should consider this fork.

Purchased At:   City Bikes in Sacramento, CA

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   singlespeed

Submitted by Tim the Toolman a Racer from Cape Town/ South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Strengths:    Super reliability, awesomely plush, stiffness to the point of accuracey but not over stiff to point of rattling yourself off the the track. the internals are precise and simple to maintain(can be done in your kitchen-just don't do while your wife is there) and the the performance and feel is the best on the market. i will never ride another fork, even if i was sponsored anything else, i would swap it out or sell it for the best fork,MANITOU!!!!

Weaknesses:    The super comes with lockout which causes some problems with tuning your compression quickly as it requires your whipping out your 20mm spanner to pull the lockout assembly out to tune the grup screw, which in itself is maybe not a bad thing as you tend to tune it and then just get on with it and ride the bike. as a workshop manager i get to tune the forks for the customers so it's no hassle really because i pretty much get it dialled in just right and they love it.

Bottom Line:
The fork is the best upgrade i've ever made. unequivacly the best fork.

Favorite Trail:   Petrus se Brandt in Knysna

Similar Products Used:   manitou sx r ti spring, rock shox judy race,

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 ZR9000 tubing, XTR STi levers and brake arches. XTR rear der, front der, Coda Spider double chainset(44t-29t) White bros. ti spindle bb. XTR hubs with Mavic x717 ceramic rims, Sapim Laser spokes. Selle Italia carbon Ti slr saddle and Scud carbon handlebar. ODI lock on grips. Time atac Ti pedals Thompson elite stem.XTR cassette.

Submitted by Geoffrey Krueger a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    Plush ride, lockout, rebound controls.

Weaknesses:    weak lockout mechanism, plus plastic knob. Weak structure in the lowers.

Bottom Line:
I'm not too impressed with this fork. I've had the bike for less than a year and so far the bike has been in the shop twice because of fork problems. First, the lockout failed and had to be rebuilt. And now the arch has BROKEN clean through. I really expected more.

Favorite Trail:   Capitol Forest

Bike Setup:   '03 Jamis Dakar XC Pro

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Hillside,Il

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight. Plush, smooth. Worked well.

Weaknesses:    Really muddy courses, when riding with tires non-mud specific, mudd will build up on reverse arch. If you race, have good mudders

Bottom Line:
Worked well. Survived a vicious post season crash. I raced at 155+lbs and fork did all I asked it to do. Lock out was nice but rarely used. Looks like a new frame is in the works and I would like to take the fork with me.

It is a light weight fork meant to be raced. If you are a heavy rider who likes big hits, this may not be the fork for you. Top it off with air before your ride and it should treat you well.

Happy Trails

Purchased At:   American Bicycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Upgrade for RS Judy

Bike Setup:   Part of full upgrade on 2001 Trek 8000 including XTR shift,der,hubs. Thomson setback post and Bontrager racelite stem 120mm

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Weaknesses:    Brake arch snapped under normal xc riding coniditions.

Bottom Line:
I am suprised Manitou hasn't recalled the 2003 skareb line based on the number of reports on mtbr and the usernet groups about broken brake arches (and collar bones). My brake arched snapped clean off from the lowers but fortunately the QR held the fork in place until I realized what had happened. They have beefed the arch up for 2004 so hopefully it will be able to stand up to the xc riding it was built for.

Purchased At:   Stock on '03 Jamis Dakar Pro

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Mars '00

Bike Setup:   2003 Jamis Dakar Pro

Submitted by Shank a Cross Country Rider from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    Light and plush with a lockout feature, what more could you ask for.

Weaknesses:    Minor but plastic caps are pretty cheesey

Bottom Line:
So far this shock has out performed any shock that I have owned or felt. All my friends are riding Rock Shox forks and none are as smooth as mine. I will post a follow up after a few hard months on it.
5's all the way around

Favorite Trail:   Hard Time in Ashville N.C.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   1999 Judy XC

Bike Setup:   03 Dean Colonel x-lite, King classic hubs on Mavic 618's, King headset, XT cranks,BB, shifters, FR and Rear derailers, cassette, Avid 7 brakes, Avid TI levers, Skareb Super Shock, Salsa QR's, Race Face prodigy seat post and stem, Easton handlebar, Egg Beater pedals, Sealle Italia genuine gel seat, Bontrager Jones tires

Submitted by Frankie from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight, very plush, can get most of the travel promised and nice looking too.

Weaknesses:    the decals are slightly out of quality, it came off after an oil change. lock-out seems never work. There's once i accidently lock-out the fork and after a few bumps (not jumps), the lock-out catridge spoiled.

Bottom Line:
It's a very good XC fork, comfortable and gives u more confident with it's super plush travel. Everything seems good except for the lock-out. And they don't have technical support in Malaysia, so that may make the riders here reconsider. And they never reply the email I send to them. Value is 4 cost not much support at $400 and rating 4 coz the lock-out could be better.

Similar Products Used:   EXR Pro, xc400, Duke, SID, RST

Bike Setup:   JBC Pro scandium frame, Thompson stem n post, Easton Monkeylite SL bar, SRAM XO, Truvativ Stylo Team crank, Mavic 517 rims with Novatec Lite hubs, Maxxis Flyweight 330 tyres and Selle Italia SLR Gelflow seat

Submitted by Andy Bloch a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Co

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Loosey-Goosey stanchion tubes.

Bottom Line:
I expected a much stiffer fork from these guys with the reverse arch technology and all.
But no! I found lotsa slop in the steering, and on tough, technical descents, not much stiffness. The Rim felt like rubber at times! Not much better than the SID Team that originally came with the bike which I rode for the first 6 months.
Bike was set-up at the Dean factory and then set-up was double-checked by mechanics in town. No other mechanical issues.

I'm currently looking for a stiffer shock now. Probably gonna have to go with Fox and eat the extra weight and cost!

Good for non-technical XC rides without technical descents.
And for keeping in the garage to collect dust.

Favorite Trail:   Sourdough

Similar Products Used:   RS SID team

Bike Setup:   2002 Dean Duke XC XT / XTR

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    3lbs, worked great right out of the box, smooth, great rebound dampening, very stiff, great looks, great deal on ebay!

Weaknesses:    Lock-out knob is plastic, paint is chipping easily, idiot-proof wheel retention nubs are a pain in the butt!

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal on a new Skareb Super on ebay. I'm very happy with the performance of this shock as I'm getting all 80mm of travel (my Marzocchi was only getting 50mm if I was lucky, it's sucking up the bumps sweetly and smoothly, has saved my butt on several occasions by taking some huge hits like a champ, and does all this with minimal fuss and at an honest 3lbs. Plus it looks great and steers straight and true. Now, if you weigh a million pounds and/or ride downhill/freeride style and throw yourself off of 20' cliffs for fun, then don't buy this fork. If you do and it fails, it's your own stupid fault. If, however, you're an aggressive trail/XC rider, then this is a great shock and it should serve your needs well. I'll check back in after 6 months of riding, but for now I'm very pleased.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z2 X-fly, Judy, etc..

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Bokor hardtail with lots-O good stuff.

Submitted by Jon Romanov a Cross Country Rider from Davie,Florida

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Strengths:    Super light and love all the flexability of having air adjustability,lockout and not to mention, it looks awsome

Weaknesses:    I have only found one, the knobs are plastic, what were they thinking?

Bottom Line:
So far no problems, The shox is performing well

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park trails