Manitou Skareb Elite 2003 Front Shocks

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 3.2 lbs MSRP : $379.95

Features:
80mm travel Air/Coil, TPC damping, adjustable air & rebound & compression, Semi-bath with Evil Genius Seals, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Alloy steerer tube

Submitted by Julian Bosley a Cross Country Rider from Oxford

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, progressive, light, stiff. Easy to service. Entended service intervals.

Weaknesses:    Cheap finish.

Bottom Line:
Sooo plush - practically no stiction. Damping gives superb control. How can these be so far ahead of my SID's? I have ridden these hard XC for six months with no problems. I weigh 165 lbs.

Not bike candy. Cheap finish on the crown - not like the SID's lovely deep anodised finish. Pain finish is drab. Stickers peel off. Damping adjusters are bendy plastic...but they haven't broken!

Buy these if you care about lightweight performance and can put up with the looks.

Favorite Trail:   grim's ditch

Purchased At:   can't remember!

Similar Products Used:   Rokshox SID, Mag 21!!

Bike Setup:   Marin FRS, Mainly XT/XTR

Submitted by Xracer a Cross Country Rider from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Strengths:    Pluuush, lateral stiffness, weight, easy to adjust, price!

Weaknesses:    stickers began to peel off since the first time I rode the thing (just in case anyone cares), and no lockout feature.

Bottom Line:
I have the Disc-Only version of the skareb, and when I got it I thought it wasn't beefy enough for my 03 XTR disc brakes, however it outperformed my old Duke C. The revese arch seems much thiner than the traditional arch used by rockshox, but it really is stiffer.

I'm a lightweight rider (145 pounds), don't jump and unlike my old duke, it feels very plush and comfortable. It also eats the small rocks and roots but it doesn't bottom easyly.

I only wish it would have a lockout instead of the compression lever which doesn't really make any difference when riding

Favorite Trail:   anything uphil

Purchased At:   greenfishsports.com

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox duke C, Jett, Judy. Suntour MGulr95

Bike Setup:   03 XT/XTR, Mavic 517, some Weyless carbon stuff on a 7005 Alu hardtail frame

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Calif

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    stiff, light and very plush

Bottom Line:
I could not be happier with this product. Big improvement on the Mars. Much stiffer. The skerab is plusher then fox. I have had no maintanence problems. Easy to rebuild. This is an ideal cross country fork. I could not use a 100mm folk because my clearance over the bike is not greater enough but I don't miss it. This is a true 80mm.

Similar Products Used:   fox, Sid

Bike Setup:   blur

Submitted by h@nn a Weekend Warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, good boingers for a fork in that price range. Not wicked light but better than most mid travel forks. wicked black and cool graphics. and ooooooo so plush.

Weaknesses:    slightly offset legs .. the wheel shifts laterally by 2 mm and it isnt the wheel either its the fork.

Bottom Line:
Id recommend this to anyone who'd like to stand out from bikes outfitted with the other big brand(RS) and still go neck to neck with the competition. only gave 4 chilis cos of the offset problem. but its not something i cant live with.

Favorite Trail:   serapong hill

Purchased At:   soonwatt cyclery

Similar Products Used:   sid, amp f3, f4, manitou sx ti

Bike Setup:   Xtr, sram attack, truvativ stylo, JBC pro scandium frame, carbon seatpost, hbars, etc. 21.5 lb

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Being that my old Manitou TI Lite finally gave up the ghost I needed a XC fork that had a decent weight/performance. I believe anything under 3 lbs is not stiff enough and things like the Fox products which push 4 lbs are too heavy and not worth the money even though they are built better. With all that said I have around a dozen rides on the Elite and love it! Running 150lbs of air and my weight is 190lbs so I added the firm spring kit. Stiffness is improved vs my old fork and produces a nice ride on big and little hits. I ride hard and do the ocasional races here in Colorado and am looking forward to continued success with the Elite.

Bottom Line:
Great fork at a reasonable cost! No need to buy the trendy Fox stuff,

Favorite Trail:   Teocalli Ridge Crested Butte

Purchased At:   370 Wheat Ridge Cycles

Similar Products Used:   most

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X, XTR kit with Grip Shift and King wheel set.

Submitted by Mike Walsh a Cross Country Rider from Duxbury, Ma

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Plush, very little stiction, damping adjuster make noticable changes. Stiff

Weaknesses:    Stock spring too soft for my weight

Bottom Line:
Excellent shock for the price. Accurate steering and smooth, stiction free travel. The fork works flawlessly on roots and small to medium bumps. I have yet to take any big hit but I'm sure the compression damping will handle them. The only weakness is if you do lose air somehow, you can not add air with a regular pump. There is not enough clearance for between the valve and the crown. If Manitou raised the air valve just a little then you could use a regular pump in an emergency

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy XL
Manitou SX Ti

Bike Setup:   Ted Wojcik XT/XTR Avid Disc

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Ride quality, improved stiffness over Mars. Much improved durability over Mars

Weaknesses:    Kinda Cheap feeling materials, But hey it's a Manitou.

Bottom Line:
A replacement for a 2001 Mars elite that just couldn't stand to work for more than a few miles at a time. Manitou was very prompt in dealing with my lemon of a Mars and after three returns decided to get me a new fork, no charge. Excellent customer service!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and the fork is great too. Light and smoooooth. Durable seals and no more grease injection, yippeee. A nice cross country fork, sooooo much better than a sid.

Purchased At:   From Manitou

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Sid, Mars, Bomber

Bike Setup:   Custom Curtlo Softail with all the best

Submitted by Karl from York

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    The balance of weight, stiffness and smoothness is bang on.
Adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Decals, plastic damping adjusters and non- international standard disc brake fixing.

Bottom Line:
What a fork.
As a newbie to external damping, rebound changes were noticeable, but I thought the compression damping was bust since I couldn't feel any difference by cycling the fork when stationary. Duh! On the trail you really feel the difference: it's a case of getting enough compression damping so it's not always brake diving and bottoming, yet not too much that it gives chronic bump feedback.

Particularly like the coil first bit of travel (air afterwards)- real smooth on small hits so you feel fresher for longer. Mind you, I weigh 155lb and could see heavier cyclists needing stiffer springs- stock ones are just about right for me.

Stiffness? dunno about brake rub but it's handling a Hope Mini with 185mm rotors with no problems and good enough steering accuracy, esp. having got off a Marzocchi (v. stiff).

Couldn't justify getting the Skareb super with its lockout feature- on a full sus, anyone with half a decent pedal stroke doesn't need front or rear shock lockout, esp. since most stay seated when going up hill. Only during occasional sprints do I miss front lockout but not by $100.
Overall, this is a great fork- I recommend it.

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.com