Manitou Skareb Comp 2003 Front Shocks

2.32/5 (76 Reviews)
Weight : 3.4 lbs MSRP : $249.95

Features:
80mm travel Coil, TPC damping, adjustable preload & rebound & compression, Semi-bath with Evil Genius Seals, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Alloy steerer tube

Submitted by caid a Downhiller from Redlands california

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    plushness!

Weaknesses:    so flexy that when you really stick a corner or a berm, the fork literally compresses about 2 mm more on one side, which demonstrates killer plushness at the same time. Lockout is busted. You go ahead, grab a handful of brake. That thing moves like 3 inches back!!

Bottom Line:
it's seasonal, it would probably be good to ditch it after a season for the next model, if you don't snap it in half before then. I didn't crack the arch, but I'm a measly 160 lbs and 6' tall. At least I scored it!!! I dint remember how much was paid but it was less than 150 us dollars.

On the other hand, it's plush!!! It moves if you hit a sidewalk crack, not much butnit does. It might be the flex though. Ya never know. It really does soak up bumps nice though. And it's light. For a fork from 03, I must say that it performs well for it's price and weight. Minus the sheer amount of flex!!! I don't see the one sided brakerub on cornering only because my brakes are set awkwardly. It twists too. If you have your bike standing still going for a curb hop and you turn the bars to keep your balance, the fork moves more than your wheel. So rigidity, sucks. Actual travel on the other hand, rocks. I wouldn't buy this fork and use it for more than a season before replacing it with something stiffer/better in general. I'm on a specialized hr comp it has full slx, a head, answer and such, with a marz 4x fork. When I get off of the salsa, it feels like I have weights hanging from the front of my bike, and the travel isn't near as plush, but good lord... It's noticeably stiffer and so much so, that I'd rather deal with the weight than the flex.

Favorite Trail:   Big bear ski slope

Purchased At:   don't remember

Similar Products Used:   black spaghetti, toothpick, beanbag chair, rs sid.

Actual alloy forks, marzocchi z2 superfly, marzocchi z3 qr20, manitou splice comp 130, rs boxxer (friends), marzocchi 4x, rs Judy (snapped that).

Bike Setup:   salsa ala carte, full xt everything, fsa stem, king headset, answer bars, mavic rims, wtb seat.

Submitted by lester a Racer from INDPLS,IN. US

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2011

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    NO LOCKING, NO COMPRESSION, TO MUCH FLEX

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THIS JUNK

Favorite Trail:   MONON

Purchased At:   NASHBAR

Similar Products Used:   ROCK SHOX MUCH BETTER

Bike Setup:   GIANT XTC

Submitted by flipsidem a Cross Country Rider from Centennial, CO

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, simple, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Limited adjustability, flex.

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with this fork. I race XC at Winter Park and it hasn't let me down on the rougher sections that I have encountered. When I first started racing XC I had a really heavy bike. My focus when building the bike that this fork is on was keeping it light. By the way, I didn't pay $350 for the fork, I bought the frame and fork together for ~$350 off eBay. $350 would be way too much for this fork. I am not a guy who spends a lot of time analyzing how my suspension is performing, so I honestly didn't notice that the brake rubbed from fork flex until I came here and read a bunch of negative reviews and actually looked for it. The type of riding and racing that I do is more about how fit you are than how good your bike is, but most of the other racers ride really nice/expensive stuff. This fork has worked well for me. I am happy that it hasn't snapped on me. I am ~185lbs, but I ride pretty conservatively. All of the negative reviews have me pretty worried about getting messed up as a result of this thing breaking. I am probably going to switch up bikes altogether because of this fear.

Favorite Trail:   Waterton Canyon

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Dart, Maverick SC 32

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota, all x-9, Truvative FireX cranks, Avid Ti, v-brakes and levers, Thompson post and stem, Forte seat, Vuelta wheels. Weighs about 24lbs.

Submitted by Muzz a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2010

Strengths:    Allowed the wheel to go around. Reasonably compliant for an averagely priced fork

Weaknesses:    Flexy. Broke

Bottom Line:
When I got the Giant back in 2003 reports were already beginning to surface about this fork breaking. I expressed my concernes to the firm I purchased the bike from and agreed to keep an eye on it. I regularly check it, but for some time I have been sick of its only average performance. I recently did a 70km+ event, and thought that I must have been bonked to the max as I kept going off line on the single track and all over the place on the fast downhill gravel sections. Was doing the service on the bike and sure enough, there was the dreaded break on the right hand side. Went to the bike shop who sent the fork to the Manitou suppliers who said it was too old and sent it back, even when it went to them with the reports from MTB Review users.

How I didn't kill myself I don't know. This fork is a pile of excrement, Manitou sucks and I will never put anything from Manitou Answer on my bike again. Stay away from this product. its lethal.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Mag 21

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS2. Fork was fitted to bike when sold.

Submitted by mtnrun a Weekend Warrior from Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2008

Strengths:    I havent observed any.

Weaknesses:    I just bought a Marin Eldridge HT with this fork on it. I haven't even ridden it on the trails yet and the fork already scares me. My observations from riding to work on roads and paved bike trails: 1) I can see one side compress before the other 2) my brakes rub during turns, even very slight ones 3)when standing and riding in a straight line, while shifting the bike from side to side the tire is rubbing quite a bit.
I weigh 190 lbs and am 6'3" but this fork seems really dangerous to me.

Bottom Line:
Its not worth a dollar. I wont ride it on the trails after having these problems and then reading the reviews on here. It seems like only a matter of time before it breaks

Submitted by nealfix a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Weaknesses:    To much flex. The tire rubs on the brake pads under light load and on the fork itself under heavy loads.

Bottom Line:
I am looking for a different XC fork.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic.

Submitted by rinmeister a Weekend Warrior from Mook, Limburg, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Arch broke

Bottom Line:
I read all the comments and bargained with the seller. Got the bike for a fair price, seller insisted that the fork was fine though, he just had it serviced.... Cycled on it first time and noticed that the front wheel was not aligned straight. When I hit bumps it would scrape against the fork. I inspected the arch and then I saw the crack on the right side of the arch! I took it off, it was really flex, and then it broke off in my hands. Needless to say I bought a new fork. What a piece of crap!

Favorite Trail:   Mook

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy

Bike Setup:   Epic 2003

Submitted by mike fluke a Weekend Warrior from greensboro, nc

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    looks cool with bike it came on...a giant xtc2 2003.

Weaknesses:    mushy and weak, likes to compress quickly with no feel of control. almost fell over the bar too many times...

Bottom Line:
i am finally replacing this completely worn out and useless fork with a 2007 marzoochi xc600 i found on sale at blue sky cycles for $229.00. according to the specs it is 1/2 pound heavier, but is worth the extra 20mm of travel. i have a marzoochi bomber that came stock on my 2001 sugar 4 and it is really solid...

Favorite Trail:   grapevine lake texas

Similar Products Used:   marzoochi bomber

Bike Setup:   stock 2003 xtc2 w/ velociraptors

Submitted by Steven Kenan a Downhiller from Sunland, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    it felt like a real shock

Weaknesses:    shock cracks in half

Bottom Line:
well yet another statistic...the shock bridge had a catastrophic crack that sent me hurling to the ground at a high rate of speed. i realized that i was heading to the ground when the bike went to the right suddenly and unexpectedly. First my left hip hit the ground and bounced onto my right shin cutting a 7" long gas into my shin. Then i went air bourne again. I spun around in mid air and bounced back onto to my left hip with an even greater impact and slid down the trail in the fetal position until i grinded to a halt.

Favorite Trail:   Wilson

Purchased At:   150.00

Similar Products Used:   sherman n1, rockshoks,and a defective parachute

Bike Setup:   hard tail home grown shwinn with juicy 7 8" rotor brakes with out steering

Submitted by Steven Kenan a Downhiller from Sunland, CA

Purchased At:   150.00

Similar Products Used:   sherman n1, rockshoks,and a defective parachute

Submitted by Mr. Lumberg a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Cool nickname like "Mani-POO"
Cheap. But...

Weaknesses:    ...you get what you pay for. From day one this thing was very flexy and suffered considerable stiction. After making a hard turn I'd suddenly have brake drag on the left side because the two sides of the fork wouldn't return evenly, leaving the wheel leaning to one side. I quickly got into the habit of throwing my weight on the bars to force an even compression return after hard cornering. The adjustment knobs did nothing. And it disassembles itself before your very eyes.

Bottom Line:
Run, don't walk away from this thing. If you order an older bike that has this on it try to swap it out or get credit towards a different fork. Even the SID is a step up.
There's a reason why it's not being made anymore. This came on the Kokopelli Race as stock equipment; the frame is unfortuneately also no longer in production despite raves but I found I new one I guess BicycleBuys.com forgot about in its basement, which is how I came to own a new '03 model late in '05.
Long story short, I intended from day 1 to replace it by summer anyway with a Zoke or Fox; this has been mostly street ridden so far and I could deal with the issues for now.
I found this review however and was curious to see what others were saying about it. What did I find? Time after time people were having complete failures around the arch so that the lowers would separate from each other, lock the wheel, and give the rider an assisted dismount over the bars. I ran out to check the state of mine, which in anticipation of summer has seen mostly street use, remember, and sure enough a crack about 1/4 inch deep was visible on the right lower where the arch joins to it.
Manitou has been taking care of these under warranty according to others here but doing it in a very shady way; something this potentially serious should get a full recall. Imagine your front locking up on a rocky downhill or while riding along a busy street 'cause you didn't know about the issue.
On a lighter note, I got the Zoke I wanted to replace this turd...
I wish I could give it a zero.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   The usual suspects.

Bike Setup:   It's gettin' there...

Submitted by Brian from Houston Texas

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    NONE!

Weaknesses:    Broke!

Bottom Line:
What a joke.
After purchasing a K2 Razor, which was equipped with this piece of crap fork, did I begin reading reviews on MTB, SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back to the dealer and told him that this fork is going to break at the arc which I had concluded from MTB reviews. He told me not to believe everything I read on MTB.

Yesterday while riding at Memorial Park, (I have a total of 3hrs. 48 minutes on this bike) I was traveling down a steep trail while turning on one part of the trail I moved over going downhill and all of a sudden my front wheel planted in the ground, as if though I locked up the front brake.

My feet went over my head, my head slammed into the dirt and then the bike slammed on top of my head taking a chunk out of my helmet and gashing my forehead.
My friend who was riding behind me asked if I was OK. I got my bell rung so hard I couldn’t even talk!

What a joke. I could have easily broken my fricking NECK!!!!!
I looked at the fork to see what the heck happened and lo and behold the fork broke on the right hand side of the arc. I do not jump or do anything stupid. (I’ve got 2 kids!) I am just your normal semi-aggressive weekend rider.

BUYERS BEWARE. Get rid of the fork or you too will go down flaming and burning.

Favorite Trail:   ant hills, Memorial Park, Austin TX

Purchased At:   Dlr. in Houston

Similar Products Used:   none, my first full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   K2, Race Face crank, xt components, etc.

Submitted by Neil Ireland a Cross Country Rider from Bolton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Broken Arch

Bottom Line:
I have ridden my bike without any issues for the past couple of years and been generally pleased with this fork. It seems to handle the bumpy stuff quite well without any issues bottoming out or being too spongey.

At the end of a recent 24 hour endurance race, I noticed one of the lowers spun on the fork as I was putting it in my trunk. Upon further investigation, I found like many of you, that the upper arch had cracked clean through the casting. This might have explained the bottoming out I was experiencing periodically over the weekend. Not to mention the three rather violent excursions over the handlebars due to the bottoming out. Unfortunately, the cause of my accidents was not realized until after I discovered the damage to the fork.

Following the race, I emailed Answer with the facts and Bobby called me within a couple of days with the reps name to address it with. I took it in to the LBS for repair. I had it back within two weeks. While this seemed long to me (I usually ride 2-3 times/week minimum), it is really pretty good. Especially considering it was almost a full year out of warranty. I guess they realized it is a manufacturing defect and didn't have an issue replacing it.

Judging by my rating, I really can't knock this fork too much. Answer's service was good and until it broke, it was a decent performing fork. The repair consists of a beefier arch and seems to work great...

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills Black Loop