Manitou Sherman Breakout 2003 Front Shocks

Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 32 mm aluminum
Steerer: *Aluminum 1.5"
Axle: Hex Lock Thru-axle

Submitted by peckerwood a Downhiller from tooele

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    so far it hasn't broke in half. it looks kinda cool.

Weaknesses:    its not as plush, adjustable or capable as marzocchi

Bottom Line:
this fork is good for some one who just wants to ride. not do drops and urban assualt. its not very adjustable and the rapid travel is a joke. i set it on the 132mm settin so i dont bottom so hard.

Similar Products Used:   super t, jr. t, monster t, stratos super 8, fox, boxxer, shivver.

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini, xt, lx components, husselfelt crank, swinger 4-way, selle italia seat

Submitted by smoober a Downhiller from vanland bc canada

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    longer travel for less weight in a single crown

Weaknesses:    all of the adjustments stopped working. fork seized up completely on a wet ride at kicking horse halfway down a run.

Bottom Line:
I have never had a problem with the other forks I've tried. The Jr t's were a bit flexy, but they were reliable. These ones simply suck. None of the adjustments do any thing, they have crappy small bump absorption and routinely seize up even after a rebuild. Never again.

Purchased At:   sports junkies

Similar Products Used:   jr t's, other bombers.

Bike Setup:   rocky switch with usual race face and fox goods

Submitted by TODD133 a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    TPC works great when set up properly. Strong fork!

Weaknesses:    Takes some time to learn how to set TPC forks up. Read and learn otherwise your fork will suck

Bottom Line:
good product, has held up to my weight 240+ for two years. I ride anything I can find. It has done tons of stair gaps and urban drops. I don't see why people are slaming the fork. If you take the time to set it up right it will last and it will give you a great ride. It allows me to ride the bullit like a xc bike until things get rough then it lets me bomb around like a dh rig.

Favorite Trail:   ???

Purchased At:   Bikes Etc.

Similar Products Used:   Most out there

Bike Setup:   02 Bullit set up with complete 05 Saint build kit from a Haro werks fs bike. hvy springs

Submitted by matija lelas a Downhiller from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Good working

Weaknesses:    Too much adjustments and after a while none of theese are working.

Bottom Line:
This fork is certanly a bad fork.I destroy it after 1month of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Leogang

Similar Products Used:   sherman firefly

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini 900

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from holliston

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    strong, light, good looking ;)

Weaknesses:    compression not working

Bottom Line:
great fork for someone who wants dual crown strength without dual crown weight. not quite as stiff as 66, but drops a few pounds, and still they only flex a tiny bit

Purchased At:   on my gemini 900

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi 66 r

Bike Setup:   gemini w/ gazz jrs and fsa dh stem

Submitted by ED M a Weekend Warrior from swampscott

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light wieght Stiff SPV VAlving 04 Breakout +
Almonst 7" of travel with no bob.

Weaknesses:    travel adjust pre-loads the spring so much that the fork becomes very stiff

Bottom Line:
I had the 03 Sherman Breakout on my Titus Quasi Moto and liked the whole 1.5 thing so much that I eliminamted any bike without it for my replacement. I ending getting the 04 Yeti ASX with 7.5 " travel in back so I matched it up with the 04 Sherman Breakout + 170 mm Travel with SPV compression adjust. Basicly the same technology used in the best rear shock I have ever tried ,the 5th element . This fork is a big improvment over the 03 no bob on climbs still light 5.6lbs compression and rebound more than ample for big drops and DH as well as XC ridiing. I have only used it for 6 rides but unless it fails me I see no weakness. My 03 damper siezed up after 10 months of heavy free riding. Warrentee covered it no problem ,talked to them monday had the part no chage by the weekend. I am selling my 03 Sherman if interested email me emondello@bikemedics.com

Favorite Trail:   MR toads

Purchased At:   www.bikemedics.com

Similar Products Used:   03 Sherman Breakout

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASX 04

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Methuen,Ma.

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Strengths:    still stiff and light with a smooth stroke

Weaknesses:    i would think that a little too much oil should not bend the damp. shaft.

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up to my 10-16-03 review. when my shop called manitou and told them what had bent they knew right away that it had too much oil.Because they were the ones to service it last they sent out a new damp. assem. I brought my fork to the shop on tuesday and had it back on my bike friday.The turn around time was great.I would like to know if that can happen to any fork. So for now it will stay on my bike and i will enjoy.

Similar Products Used:   this is my first freeride fork

Bike Setup:   cdale 900 mostly stock

Submitted by Evan a Downhiller from Malvern Pa USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent overall haven't had to many big faults with it yet it does its job and does it well

Weaknesses:    The adjust between like 6.5 and 5.5 inches of travel seems a lil' useless. And the Springs inside seem to soft for me a rider who is 180 and 6 ft 3. but at any rate this is the perfect fork for a freerider who doesn't want a dual crown but wants nearly the same amount of travel that they have

Bottom Line:
Excellent long travel fork the springs seem under sprung but these can always be replaced for slightly stiffer ones if the need be, for drops its seems to little and for rocky downhills and such it seems perfect whatever the case ride it for a while and you get use to its cushy feel maybe a little to used to it

Favorite Trail:   Boone Trail FC

Purchased At:   Beans

Similar Products Used:   RS Physlo Race

Bike Setup:   Gemini 03' with Mods

Submitted by david a Weekend Warrior from methuen,ma.

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    lots of travel for the weight

Weaknesses:    had it a few weeks and had to send it back. they had to replace the spring and damp. assembly. then they had to replace the travel adjust. five months later i bent the damp.rod on a two foot drop. back to the shop again. my sid can take much more abuse than this so called free ride fork. everyone calls them manitou breakalots.

Bottom Line:
after spending 2,200.00 on my bike i will be spending another 650.00 for a marzocchi. i think canondale should pay at least half for putting the breakalot on my bike.

Similar Products Used:   this was my first freeride fork.

Bike Setup:   03 gemini 900

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Weaknesses:    Read my 3 other reviews. THIS THING BROKE AGAIN!!!! I can not honestly say I will EVER spend my money again on a Manitou fork. I had this thing back from Manitou for 1 month after they "fixed" it, and it broke again. Arrrgh!!!

Bottom Line:
Spend your money on Marzocchi and spend your time on the trail and in the air, not in the shop or on the phone!

Submitted by tom from philly

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    stiff as a dual crown, but light enough for epic rides. 6" of travel eats up everything.

Weaknesses:    uhhh...ive read other reveiws sayin the travel adjust didnt work, but ive never used it so i cant say.

Bottom Line:
i love this fork. havin a bad day, pickin bad lines? dont sweat it, this fork will bail you out. it can take alot of abuse for a single crown fork. built like a tank. im 190lbs and ride very fast and hard, but i also like to climb xc style, so this fork is perfect for me.

Favorite Trail:   the one under my tires

Purchased At:   keswick cycle

Similar Products Used:   psylo, junior t

Bike Setup:   gemini 900, i changed the stem to diabolus, race face xy seatpost,ea70 bars,tioga 2.3 dh, droped the outer ring for a bashring

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Manitou serviced this for free, which is nice, but it took about a month.

Weaknesses:    They told my shop mechanic that the seal had been leaking oil slowly down into the tube below where it should be and slowly I was losing travel, until the bottom area filled with oil and the fork would not compress. I guess I need to service it like every 3 months.

Bottom Line:
I am happy again. Just don't take my bike from me and I will be happy!!! I love this fork.

Submitted by George that guy a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    Very Stiff, adjustability helps - the lockout works well, very plush and smooth, all the travel of a triple crown and the maneuverability of a single. Ideal for twisty single track trails that spring drops on you where travel is necessary. Climbs very well in lockout.

Weaknesses:    None, off hand.

Bottom Line:
The best of both the single and triple crown worlds, plush and deep, adjustable, stiff, the best long travel fork for riders who encounter turns occasionally and drops.

Favorite Trail:   RatPack

Purchased At:   Center Cycle, Renton

Similar Products Used:   Boxxer 03, Marzzochi freeride. Boxxer is less plush than the Sherman. The freeride is decent, but too vanilla.

Bike Setup:   '03 Gemini 900, stock everything

Submitted by npeter a Downhiller from lake tahoe

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    tpc+ speed sensitive damping, very stiff and precise steering, reliable (but see notes below...), lighter than marzocchi Z150 but stiffer fr/back and torsionally.

Weaknesses:    manitou tech support--some guys there are knowledgeable, some guys are not. also, i'm not the only one who rec'd a manitou that wasn't assembled correctly.

Bottom Line:
the best all-around FR/XC fork on the market. the massive crown and the hex thru axle gives super precise steering in rocky downhills--better than some triple clamp forks. however the travel adjust feature on mine only worked right after i talked to manitou and figured out how to tighten the upper and lower nuts simultaneously (you'll need a long socket extension to do this, and a deep socket to go over the little wire). also the oil level in the damping chamber was not correct. make sure the fork is horizontal when you syringe in the fresh lube oil after you've drained it. i'm using 5W30 motor oil, works well.

actual weight is around 5 lb 10 oz--there are no forks on the market that light with this much performance and strength and stiffness. and the new manitou seal design appears to have finally caught up w/ marzocchi.

this fork performs well and has been extremely reliable once i got it set up correctly.

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi mostly. i've bought marzocchi forks exclusively for years, until this came along.

Bike Setup:   gemini / romic / deore XT

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Weaknesses:    This is a follow up to my previous review. The fork just seized up half way through the stroke. It would go down half the tube and just stop?!?!!? My shop sent it back and it has been 3 WEEKS! and no response from Answer/Manitou. I am very dissapointed so far. Check back to see how it works out...

Bottom Line:
Great fork while it is working (see my other review) but it broke after 6 months and I'm riding my old bike!!! I had several Bombers and NEVER had a problem...

Purchased At:   Came w/ Cannondale Gemini 900

Where to buy sherman breakout spring part #85-5914

Im looking for either a xfirm #85-5912 or xxfirm #85-5914 I only need 1 spring since my forks are 05 170mm travel and have the air chamber in them. If any one can give me a link or phone number to a place i would really appreciate it. I called manitou number they provided which was hayes cycle or s ... Read More »

Need HELP! 05 Manitou sherman breakout Problems

Bought a bike that had these forks on them. Have a few questions. When i bought the bike the owner told me that the forks where just rebuilt so didnt ask to much about the forks. It looks like this is the 180mm or 170mm, with tape measure it measures about 7.5 inches of travel from fork seal to the ... Read More »

Need info on 05 manitou sherman breakout forks

Anyone have a service manual for these forks. Also this will be my first mountain bike suspension fork and i have never done any maintaince. Can someone give me an idea of how often and what kind of maintaince should be done on these forks?Read More »

Manitou Sherman Breakout advice needed please!

Well I am new to the whole freeride thing and am looking to buy a new fork. I kind of have it narrowed down to a 2005 Manitou Sherman or Travis, Marzzocchi 66, or a RS Domain 318. I am on a budget and am looking to stay with a full 1.5 inch steerer. I keep finding Shermans for cheap and their review ... Read More »

manitou sherman breakout plus SPRING KIT ??

:confused: can you still get springs for the sherman breakout plus ????Read More »