Manitou Black Comp 2003 Front Shocks

Spring: Coil
Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 30 mm aluminum
Steerer: Steel

Submitted by Schwinng a Weekend Warrior from So. Calif.

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty good action. 100mm setting very good, 120mm even better, more plush. Not an air fork, no hassles with carrying around a shock pump, no problem with air leaks, etc. Microlube ports make occasional lubing easy, quick.

Weaknesses:    Not heavy by comparison, but not light either.

Bottom Line:
Excellent buy, very inexpensive when compared to other suspension forks costing $500, $600, and more. Low maintenance = a big plus in my book, don't want to hassle with air chambers, etc. Set it, forget it.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mtns

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Mars Elite 100mm; Manitou 5, 4, 3, etc.

Bike Setup:   Full-suspension cross-country, 4" of travel.

Submitted by Robert Ching a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Came with bike, reasonably stiff, very plush

Weaknesses:    too plush and needed to upgrade the spring but still too plush, not enough rebound control, heavy, a bit flexy, no lockout

Bottom Line:
I had no choice, this fork came with the bike. Too plush, too flexy, too soft even with the stiffest spring and not enough rebound control. It is a basic fork and is better than the old elastomer forks or ones without oil dampening. My R7 kills it for stiffness and rebound but we are talking about another league of forks. Seemed well matched to the plushness of the VT. Unfortunately, it is neither a XC fork or freeride fork, pretty much the same problem as the VT itself... a good general bike but good at nothing in particular.

Favorite Trail:   Ourimbah

Purchased At:   came with VT3

Similar Products Used:   RST381 and recently a new Manitou R7 super

Bike Setup:   previously on a Giant VT3 2004 and now on a DMR Trailstar

Submitted by Mika Arasola a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, works fairly ok

Weaknesses:    Comes with too stiff springs for me. Don't seem to get all the travel I should (maby due to the springs). Maintainence is not easy due to shoddy plastic screws used inside, came with far too much oil causing it to be about as good as my previous Judy TT untill I serviced it.

Bottom Line:
For what I payed I can't really complain, but my fork came with far too much oil from the factory which caused it to be extremly hard and nonresponsive. After I serviced it it has been alot nicer, very nice actually for the money payed. While opening it up I could'nt help but wonder about all the plastic screws used. It would be very easy to blow the threads on them... Can't imagine how much they actually managed to save with something like that, but I guess when you make enough it all adds up.

One Chili deducted due to the plastic screws, and one due to it coming with (way) too much oil.

Favorite Trail:   kalpalinna

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy TT, Manitou mars, fox rlt

Bike Setup:   Planet-X Armadillo, manitou black, xt / lx groupset, mavic 321 rims with xt hubs, avid bb7 / sd7 brakes.

Submitted by Jason Nagy a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa Japan

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Strengths:    Well, I really do not have any to say. Not impressed

Weaknesses:    Bad quality, poor crafsmanship, and weak materials used to build.

Bottom Line:
Fork came on bike when I purchased it. I had the bike for just over 2 months and the lower mount for the disc striped out. Brought fork to local dealer, and the lowers where exchanged. Just over a year later I am again sitting with a lower disc mount striped. I am now ordering a 2005 Rock Shox Reba. I will never purchase another Answer product again. Not to mention, the first time this happened, a (plastic) part inside was broke, and if it was not for the mount being striped, (according to the dealer) the fork could have potentially gave out, leading to me flying. I should have replaced this powder keg along time ago.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Alley

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   None. I dont think anyone else would sell something this cheap.

Bike Setup:   2003 Cannondale Jekyll w/ XT drive train, Hayes HFX Mag discs.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Auburn WA USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Strengths:    It's looks but looks do not get it done on the trail!!!!

Weaknesses:    The workmenship and quality of this product is sub standarded at best.

Bottom Line:
This product is not what i would expect from a company like answerthe parts are all plastic or a cheap pot metal. Not a quality piece at all very disapointed. I will never use another answer product again they are just a waist of money.

Favorite Trail:   all of Victor Falls

Purchased At:   Bothel ski and bikes

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy

Bike Setup:   Giant VT Basic for know

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2005

Strengths:    cheapish. nice rebound feel.

Weaknesses:    durability. warranty support. heavier than ideal.

Bottom Line:
loved the fork for the first 6 months i had it. got the lockout upgrade, rode the crap out of it, had great feel and rebound (aside from a small mishap the first time i rode it, and had the rebound dialed all the way down - it bounced me off and broke my arm on a drop), it was great.

then the weather got crappy, and i used the bike mostly as a commuter for the winter. had the lockout on the whole time, basically.

come spring, i tried to go offroading, and discovered the fork was frozen. sent it in to manitou, and 6 weeks later (slow turnaround) had it back, working like new. rode the crap out of it for a couple months, and the lockout mechanism failed. called manitou, and they sent me the wrong part. called them again, and they sent me a different wrong part. still waiting on the correct part, and in the meantime the performance has gone to crap and it's started leaking oil out the bottom. blech.

in sum - don't bother.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   fox f100x, marzocchi bomber

Bike Setup:   '03 stumpjumper custom build

Submitted by Guille a Weekend Warrior from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Strengths:    Travel adjustment, rigid, requires low maintenance, looks great.

Weaknesses:    Rebound regulator is weak and exposed. Preload isn't that efficient

Bottom Line:
This fork is great value for your money. I love the travel adjustment, when you use it in 120mm it's soft enough for FRing, and when you use it in 100mm it's rigid, too rigid. Great for climbing and XCing. If only the preload adjustment worked properly... Yet, I've used it for more than 2 years and I'm not planning to change it... The rebound and travel setting shouldn't be plastic as they are in the bottom of the bottles and they'll brake easily (I alredy had to change the rebound once...). Anyway, it's GREAT value for your money!

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy XC, Insync Grind, RST 281.

Bike Setup:   Custom XC bike.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Buford, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    Simplicity describes it best. No air chamber to mess with. Just get on the bike and ride. This fork tracks really well and is an excellent xc/trail fork. I have the 80/100 model disk brake only and with 4" of travel it's more than enough unless you do freeride or downhill. I am 185 lbs. and had the spring changed to the extra firm and it rides awesome.

Weaknesses:    None really. If you want to use it to xc race it's to heavy but racing requires all high end components and this is not.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this fork for one year 2 to 3 times per week (10 to 20 miles per ride intermediate xc trails)and have had no trouble at all. The factory spring was soft for my weight. The fork rides as well as any air sprung fork it is just not as light. A firm spring would have been plush but I sometimes ride with the local racers and at the pace and speeds it has to take some hard hits. I truly enjoy the simplicity of a good coil oil fork as there is nothing to do but get on the bike and ride.......

Favorite Trail:   AG center sorry to see it gone

Purchased At:   greenfish adventure sports

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Duke XC, Duke SL, Manitou Six Sport

Bike Setup:   Marin Palisades Trail Hard Tail with the Black fork Avid Disks and Deore components.

Submitted by Rick Sibbet a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Strengths:    easy service, nice feel

Weaknesses:    No adjustment for dampening, preload does not seem to make a significant change. Sripped out disc brake mount hole... could have been my fault...

Bottom Line:
I was lucky the spring felt right and I love the fork, easy to change oil. Very stiff

Favorite Trail:   up or down tight and technical

Purchased At:   Perfomance online

Similar Products Used:   Zokes Z1, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis, trail setup

Submitted by SHANE JOSEPH a Cross Country Rider from PRESCOTT, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, easy to adjust, looks cool...

Weaknesses:    plastic bits, weight

Bottom Line:
nice fork, lots of travel, I realy only use the 100mm setting, easy to tune, change oil... weighs kinda-sorta alot. still, awsome for what it is made for. cheap.

Favorite Trail:   SPRUCE MOUNTAIN

Purchased At:   FRIEND

Similar Products Used:   psylo, mx comp

Bike Setup:   dakota w/ xt stuff

Submitted by Rizal Sohaimi a Downhiller from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light, externally adjustable travel and rebound damping, and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Plastic internal parts. Stock spring is soft.

Bottom Line:
The fork performed well. Suck up ripples and small bumps effectively. No harsh bottom out when dropping 5-6 feet. Shorten the travel to 100 mm and the spring rate is stiff enough for urban and dirtjump use.
After a year and a half and two oil change ( for experimenting with the ride characteristics) the fork finally broken.
The screw retainer at the bottom of the damper kit broke (it was made of plastic). Pretty pissed since it is hard to get replacement parts round here. E-mailed manitou and they asked me to contact LBS. Tried a few but to no avail.
Finally a friend offered his old X-Vert(the outer leg snap in two at the arch) internal (which is made of metal) and we are now retrofitting it to the Black.
I still prefer the ride feel of a Manitou, but the weakness as above may hinder future purchase of another manitou. Maybe I should check out the Sherman series. Bottom line, it is a good fork if you are using it for aggressive XC, trail and light dirtjump, light DH. Don't buy this if you are a frequent flyer or freerides (black diamond).

Purchased At:   KSH Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy XC 2000, Marzoochi Wedge, Dirtjumper, Z3.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, sincle chainring playbike.

Submitted by Róbert a Downhiller from Iceland

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    i love the 90-120 adjusment and this fork is good for the money. i am doing 5-7 feet droppes and the fork handles it well but i think he is not gonna handle any more than that

Weaknesses:    he is a little soft, and there is a little sound in it

Bottom Line:
i like this fork he is good for the money

Favorite Trail:   úlvarsfell

Purchased At:   abc bikes

Similar Products Used:   rock shox boxxer, manitou minute,and dorado

Bike Setup:   liquid 10

Submitted by Kevin Barron a Weekend Warrior from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Great fork for the money. I got it super cheap of ebay. The 100-120mm travel is awesome. Can easily take 6-10fters and has.

Weaknesses:    The god damn lock out went on perma lock out !
Sent the fork back got it fixed under warrenty

Bottom Line:
The product was great off the start but after a bunch of drops 6-10 ft the god damn lock out well went on perma lock out! But the people at Manitou were there and sent the fix. 5/5 on price 3/5 on overall for the lock out.

Favorite Trail:   The beav

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Judy TT, Psylo SL, MX comp, Dj2

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert w/ fox float and manitou black comp 100-120 w/lockout

Submitted by Moe a Cross Country Rider from RSM

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Plush, Reliable, Rigid, Looks Great, Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Rebound and Height settings are on the bottom -- that doesn't make any sense.

Bottom Line:
I bought my sugar 3 used 1-1/2 years ago -- stock was the 60mm manitou (?can't remember the name). I was new to mountain biking so I didn't know any better. I think I rode 2 times on a chromo sportmart bike before getting the sugar. So the stock forks seemed fine. After building my endurance and riding skillz, I started getting more daring and taking more aggressive paths -- but I crashed many times due to the stock fork bouncing me uncontrollably. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the stock cane creek ad-05 rear shock as well and other crappy stock components on the sugar. I knew it was time for upgrades, especially after trying out other people's bikes with much better components. So a year after riding I upgraded a lot of components and got the Manitou Comp 100, 120 set up. Dang what a huge difference. It took awhile to get used to sitting up so much higher (this is nice becuz the sugar's bottom bracket is very low). I had to play with the settings a lot, but I can say after 6 months with the manitou comp and other components, I can aggressively ride over rock gardens and take some light drops with no problems. In fact a couple of times I got a little too aggressive coming down some pretty tough terrain and the manitou saved my a$$ -- because it had the rigidity and plushness to keep me from eating it.

Bottom line, for $160 I am extremely pleased -- my buddy with a Turner Burner (Marzochi Bomber fork) says my fork feels just as nice. I've never had a problem with it and I am 190lb rider with the stock coil. It has yet bottom out on me and I ride aggressively. And as far as weight, I personally prefer coil fork and shock over air and I feel it's worth the extra weight -- especially for heavier riders going over rough terrain.

PEACE!!!

Favorite Trail:   All trails for aggressive XC

Purchased At:   GreenFish

Similar Products Used:   Marzochi Bomber

Bike Setup:   01' Sugar 3: romic d rear shock, lx Crank, lx front derail, xt rear derail, xt cassette & chain, egg beater candy, easo stem

Submitted by Chris Bersos a Downhiller from mERCER iSLAND

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING

Bottom Line:
I went to jump on a 6 stair, and the oil holdeer side, blew up on me, jesus christ, i got oil in my eye and everyhitng, and the cap, gave me a huge welt on my cheek when it hit me case it blew off the fork, sit*y plastic, and then, i sent it in to see what amitou did, they wouldnt do anything, and they said they couldnt find my fork, jusus, damnit, manitou sux, there expensive, and they are to new to have expierience, unlike marzocchi, where they are cheap, strong as hell, and marzocchi has bottom line the best warrentys, i dont see who would bu a manitou over marzocchi,so, dont buy any manitous, ther crap, and marzocchi is better, the Marzocchi EXR Comp, probably marzocchis crappiest fork, can hold up more then the Manitou Darado DH, which is saposedly a strong duel crown, but, bottom lioone, never buy manitous

Favorite Trail:   street