Fox Shox TALAS R 2003 Front Shocks

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

The TALAS R, RL, and RLC are the ultimate lightweight freeride suspension forks. The premium PSC chassis SDC damper system and the NEW TALAS air spring system make this the most adjustable fork for the ultimate lightweight freeride bike.

Submitted by Bitokes a Cross Country Rider from Loures, Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    STIFF AS THE DEVIL HORNS!
NO MAINTENANCE & WHAT SO EVER!
SUPER FORK!!!

Weaknesses:    $

Bottom Line:
In fact a super fork. God descending ability and not compromising on the way up. No remote lock but still absorbers all bumps in uphill.
***********
In many situations if i didn't have this FOX Fork i certainly would fall and get bad injury
It's an amazing fork!

Favorite Trail:   *.down

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Indy xc

Bike Setup:   not important

Submitted by Mike Perkin a Weekend Warrior from Runcorn, England

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    Superbly made, very light, very strong, very plush. Ace.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These forks came as standard on my Wolf Ridge 2004. I've not used a lot of forks to compare them to, but I can't imagine a way to improve them. They are simply spot on. The adjustable travel works perfectly. They are light and super stiff but very plush. I've done some fairly big hits (4-5 ft) and they just soak them up so far. Smaller bumps and logs etc I hardly notice. I know they're a tad expensive, but your buying quality. Highly reccommended.

Favorite Trail:   Daresbury Hills

Purchased At:   D and M Cycles, Warrington

Similar Products Used:   RST hi-5's (not a fair comparison, I know)

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge 2004 with xt front mech and shifters.

Submitted by Frank Daugherty from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    Stiffness, precision steering, plushness and rising rate big bump absorption

Weaknesses:    high dollar, but you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
Got the RLC for the Tracer. Perfect. Best shock ever, all the way back to the 2nd generation Z-1 (still the best stutter bump/chatter fork), this one does it all. After a month of that, got the R model for the ti bike to replace the Psylo. Put a 2.24 tire on the front to replace to 2.1, and it's still a lot lighter. (RLC was $585., the R was $442.)

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Similar Products Used:   Psylo 02'

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer w/RLC
TST ti frame w/R

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from marin

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Strengths:    Laterally stiff!! Plush feel and seems durable.

Weaknesses:    No problems as of yet. 6 mos. of riding 4 times / wk.

Bottom Line:
This is probably the perfect fork for a Heckler. The 85 to 125 mm adjustability is just right. I will probably never ride another fork I can't adjust. I have not changed the oil or put in air since I bought it 6 mos. ago. I initially wanted a lockout but the bike shop said the fork is so good you won't need it. There right!! You will never use it as the rebound can be adjusted. When climbing, just set it on the slowest rebound setting. The fork will sag about 1 inch( I weigh 150) and will not bob. As far as plushness, it's similar to the Psylo but is much stiffer laterally and no maintenance issues. I am a c.c. rider and can do smaller jumps(2-3 feet). The fork manual says not for freeriding so don't buy it if you plan to do big jumps. Thats it except I've had no problems yet. I'll report back if I do.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes in San Rafael

Similar Products Used:   Bomber air fork, Psylo and Mars forks.

Bike Setup:   It's on a Heckler.

Submitted by Fernando Marcos a Weekend Warrior from Amadora, Portugal

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, light, very precise and progressive, never had problems

Weaknesses:    Maybe the price

Bottom Line:
It's the best fork I ever tried, good in climbing, awesome in descending.
Since I tuned it up to my weight, I never touched it ever again, and it still performs very well.
No air losses even with monstruous drops and long downhills.
I love it most of all when going down, even if when climbing it performs very well too (I almost forget I'm using a suspension).
After all, every cent was damn well spent!
Can't think of anyone who wouldn't like it...

Favorite Trail:   Trilho dos Capuchos, Sintra

Purchased At:   Bicimax

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Race, Manitou Black Super

Bike Setup:   Rookie Bandido, Race Face cranks, Sachz Quartz '98 rear der, Shimano XT all around

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Too soon to tell - I only had 1 hour of riding when they failed

Weaknesses:    After only 1hrs riding the forks collapsed [lost all rebound - there are no external sign of failure]. They've gone back under warranty.
The retailer suspects an internal leak.

Bottom Line:
Before buying these fork I demoed a similar set on a Santa Cruz Blur for about 4 hours. They were extremely impressive.
Imagine my disappointment then, when having bought the beasts, that they give up on me after only 1 hour of riding.

Purchased At:   Wheelbase

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ESX 70

Submitted by Dave Burke a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Strengths:    Plush, Solid, Reliable, Easy to Adjust

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
I never have to worry about anything with these shox. A little twist will give me more or less travel depending on the circumstances. Awesome! My roomate has an RM Element with a bomber and he's simply jealous. Fox is the Best!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail with obstacles

Purchased At:   Stock

Similar Products Used:   Bomber

Bike Setup:   Sugar 2+, XT Crank, Selle Italia Saddle, XT brake levers

Submitted by Bill from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    The way it works, the plushness, the beefiness, the weight.
It's dependable, and extremely stiff and solid.

Weaknesses:    None yet, and probably none ever.

Bottom Line:
The price is high, but the product that Fox delivers is absolutely top notch. From stem to skewer, this fork is outstanding in its quality and how well it does its job.
Proof that huge companies (RS, Manitou, Marzocchi etc) can't touch the love and care that the smaller guys put into their products. The Fox Forx are expensive because they cost a pretty penny to produce.....they aren't trying to screw anyone over at the counter, they're merely covering their costs.
I've had the TALAS R for a bit over 3 months and it hasn't lost a pound of air since I first set it up. The TALAS system is genius - 85mm to 125mm by turning a knob...and the rebound damping actually works! The whole Fox line is fantastic for only the second generation of forks.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Marzocchi, Rock Schlox

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff, plush

Bottom Line:
This fork is the perfect fork! I have about 300 miles on it now, mostly insane rock gardens and small drops, all without a problem. The travel adjust feature is great when doing long climbs then long downhills, and even better for the occasional racer. It seems to soak up everything and the travel adjust doesn't affect the plushness of the fork. To top it all off, it is light weight, what more can you ask for? I'm giving it a 5 for value because compared to everything else out there, it is in the right price range. However, there is something wrong with the biking industry when you have to pay $4000 to get a decent bike; hell, you can get a motorcycle for that!

Favorite Trail:   Tussey Mt Trail and extension

Purchased At:   SPEEDGOAT

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox psylo, Manitou X-Vert Air

Bike Setup:   Truth with standard high end parts

Submitted by Mike Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Bethesda MD

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and adjustable. Rebound damper really works.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This fork is the BOMB. Got tired of the finicky set up and stickiness of the Marzoochi Marathon and wanted to dial a fork depending on the course or race I was riding so I bought the Psylo, what a piece of crap!! It almost killed me my first ride, sold it after my second ride. Got the Talas and have truly seen the light. Air, which I prefer over coil. Smooth as silk, stiff, rock solid and really no weight penalty. Get the pressure vaguely right at home and then hit the trail and tune tool-free to whatever you feel like while riding. It is the perfect fork for the Truth. Fox is producing the best suspension out there. Now to replace my Sid on the hardtail....

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven Resevoir

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Psylo, Marathon S

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth w/2003 XTR

Submitted by Mike Reardon a Racer from Columbus

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up the post earlier in the month. I got the fork back from Fox, thanks to Mike at 123bikes, and I am really happy with it. I had too much sag set on it at first but when I pumpe about 5 pounds above what is recommended for my weight, 160 pounds, the fork was spot on. I have heard this fork compared to coil forks, I disagree, no coil fork is this plush, it is amazing for an air fork. The steering is point and shoot precise. I have been running it between 110 and 120 mm of travel although I might race it at 125 just to see how that will work. I have the R model, don't need lockout, don't need compression adjustments, Fox nailed it. I will post another follow up after Tsali at the end of the month.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am building

Purchased At:   123bikes.com

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Hayes Hydros, Full XTR.

Submitted by Mike Reardon a Racer from Columbus, GA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    Fox Reputation, 32mm stanchions

Weaknesses:    A little pricey, but you get what you pay for I suppose

Bottom Line:
I can't say much about this fork. I went our on one ride and it blew up on me! If I was doing huge drops I would be less disappointed, but as it was I was riding across a small creek bed, when I hit the far side I had a mini geyser or hydraulic fluid on my hands, not too big of a deal until the fluid got all over my rotors and brake pads, sort of ruined the ride for me. I just sent them back to Fox, under warranty, for repair, I will post a follow up after I have some miles on them, but right now I can't really recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain, Pisgah