Fox Racing Shox Vanilla 100RLC 2003 Front Shocks

• FOX FORX oil seals with patented scraper-lip technology
  • Compression Lock-Out with adjustable Blowoff Threshold
  • 9 position Low-Speed Compression adjustment provides ultrawide tuning range
  • 12 click rebound adjustment
  • Travel can be changed to 100 or 80 mm.

Submitted by dav a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Strengths:    It wasn't expensive. People think "ooohhh, Fox"

Weaknesses:    Everything else. 100mm travel my hiney. The right leg began to leak on the second ride, after a few more, it's a sieve.

Bottom Line:
First, the leak. It was instantaneous, and has gotten worse to the point that I can't hang the bike vertically in my garage or the oil all drains out.

Second, the travel. By the infamous rubberband test, this thing barely pushed 80+ mm of travel. And it feels like that. I weigh 160, and I blew through the travel on this on day one. Thought it might be the oil ( which has had an effect), but regardless, I bottom out on this fork way too often.

Of the products I've tried, I will say the TALAS is a good bit better than the Vanilla, but it still isn't 100 mm travel. The Skareb, which is actually sprung too stifly for me, has as much travel as this fork, is lighter, but not super smooth ( it's an older coil versions ) The Judy, ancient history best forgotten. Which leaves the Marazochhi. Best, smoothest, sweetest fork I've ridden. Unfortunately, it blew out 3 times in 2.5 years. The last time was in teh middle of a 24 hour race, when the fork froze in it's shorter climbing position. Which is where it is to this day.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Skareb (80 mm), Judy SL (2001), Fox TALAS (2004), Zochi Marathon (2002)

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, set for long trail and endurance racing. Light, but reliable and comfortable.

Submitted by John Tansey a Downhiller from Mass

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    Plush. The 100mm of travel is awesome. Can adjust without tools to suit trail conditions and your weight etc.

Weaknesses:    Some complain about inners rattling, but I haven't had any trouble. Locking out on the fly sometimes you hit the compression adjustment.

Bottom Line:
I love this fork. I ride DH and freeride normally. This fork is on my xc bike and it takes everthing I throw at it. I weigh about 185 and have taken many 3 foot to flat drops with no problem. It does bottom a bit but I did not have the compression all the way out. I'd have gone bigger but thats kinda scary on a xc bike. The frame will fail before this fork does. This fork is great for more agressive xc riding. I got this thing new for 375 and I feel like I stole it.

Favorite Trail:   Steep Drops Rocks