Fox Racing Shox Float 100R 2003 Front Shocks

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

rebound adjustment

Submitted by dave follow up review a Cross Country Rider from pojoaque

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    damping, strength

Weaknesses:    leaks way too much oil

Bottom Line:
After 3+ years with this shock I am ready to give up. Although the ride is phenomenal, it leaks so much oil that it is not worth the trouble any more. As I mentioned in an earlier review, Fox customer service has been worthles for the past few years. I have replaced the top seals three times and the story is always the same. It works well for several rides and then the oil flow starts. It is enough oil that it pools and runs down the sliders after 1-hour rides. I understand that open-bath forks should have some oil on the stanchions, but this is enough that it can affect disc brakes if you don't wipe it constantly. Marzocchi forks are open bath but you never hear about this issue with them. Why not?

By the way, everyone I know with a Floats eventually experiences this problem and gets no help from Fox. FOx does not have an honorable customer service organization any more.

Submitted by Vern a Cross Country Rider from WA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    really responsive/ stiff and works great just before it leaks oil

Weaknesses:    Customer service looks for anyway to not own up to continuing problems with this fork.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I fixed it once, after costomer service was rude and unsupportive. Now it leaks agian within 400 miles of riding. I put 2000 mile on my Bomber Z1 and never even had to change a seal.I will order my new bomber right after this Email. When you purchase a fork of this quaility you expect customer service to be on your side and fix the problem

Favorite Trail:   Spider loop Oki JP

Purchased At:   123bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock shock triple crown 110, rock shock Indy, Manitou I/II/III and SR 80 Marazocchi CR Bomber, Gervin Flex stem

Bike Setup:   Tracer, XT pro build kit from 123bike. king hubs on 517 rims. Bike was built to ride, not for show

Submitted by nathan harrison a Racer from stockport, cheshire, england

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    super stiff and plush, faultless preformance on fire road to the rocky downs of derbyshire

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
I am the proud owner of a pair of fox float 100r forks. Their faultless performance leads me to believe that they are quite simply the best forK i ever owned (others being, psylo sl, sid sl, judy xc)

They allow for the rough and ready pushing you to your limits while not even breaking a sweat! Then for the climbs, making neat work of the larger rocks while on the slowest rebound setting allowing the fork to keep reletivly stiff for the hard graft!

Favorite Trail:   jacobs ladder

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none!

Bike Setup:   hardtail with 80mm setting on fork

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from pojoaque, nm

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    speed-sensitive damping, strength, plushness, rebound damping control.

Weaknesses:    leaks oil

Bottom Line:
i really like how this fork rides. it is very nice, plush, and stiff when you're going fast but the damping really keeps it from diving when going slowly off big steps. i also like th rebound damping although i find that the damping circiuts are so well designed that i rarely need to increase the damping above the base level. i have not missed the lockout or the compression damping control at all.

it has leaked considerable oil out of the right leg (the left leaks intermittently as well, but less flow) from the very beginning. fox has told me 1) it's the top seal which i replaced after they provided a new one - that worked for about 10 hours and then it was back to its old tricks 2) the amount of oil coming out is excessive, better send it in to see if bushings and stanchions are in tolerance, and 3) that the oil leakage is perfectly normal and that some leak more than others.

by the way, i get oil pooling on the seal after and hour or so of riding and running down the fork leg after 1.5 to 2 h. others have expereinced the same problem with the float forx and have returned them to fox for service only to get the fork back with the same problem. i have had that experience with a fox rear shock as well so i think i'll save the shipping and just keep the shock, enjoy the ride, and wipe it down after each ride.

so far, it is holding up well (other than the oil leak).

Similar Products Used:   manitou, rock shox

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent quality damping, very solid feeling compared to the Psylo that it replaced. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet.

Bottom Line:
I've only had this fork for a short time but so far I'm very impressed. It is definitely a big step up from my Psylo. The most noticeable difference is the solid feel, especially on rocky and rooty trails. I've noticed a bit of a knock when the fork tops out, but I haven't spend time adjusting it yet.

I highly recommend the Float.