Fox Racing Shox F80X 2003 Front Shocks

4.38/5 (32 Reviews)

The F80X suspension fork is the pinnacle in technology for a racing cross-country mtn. bike suspension fork. The F80X damper with automatic intertia-vlave technology coupled with the F80 chassis makes this the ultimate XC racing fork. The F80 chassis used onthe F80RLT and F80X uses specially designed lightweight chassis and internal parts throughout the fork.
  • NEW Lightweight Chassis Parts:
    -Lightweight Optimized double-butted steerer made from Easton EA70 material
    -NEW forged 7075-T6 crown with external Scalloped machining and hollow Double-barrel machined internal features
    -Lightweight F80 specific Uppertubes made from Easton EA70 material
    -Lightweight Lower Leg with machined fork brace
  • NEW Lightweight Damper Parts
    -Polished Hard Anodized Aluminum Damper shafts made from Easton 7075-T6 material
    -Lightweight Rebound Adjuster Rod
    -Lightweight Hard Anodized Cartridge Damper Tube
  • NEW Lightweight Air Spring Parts:
    -Lightweight Air Shafts made from Easton 7075-T6 material
    -Lightweight Air Piston
  • NEW F80 SLT Air Piston Seal:
    -This new air piston seal is an advanced low-friction air seal that is designed with Scraper Lip Technology to retain FOX Float Fluid in the air cylinder

Submitted by illnacord a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Looks, Technology, Fit, Name Brand Reputation, takes a beating.

Weaknesses:    No cable guide (Jagwire helped the lack of cable guides, which came a year later)

Bottom Line:
The top of the line offering for the F-series, Fox made famous the Terralogic auto-lock function, aka now Specialized Brain, and I have the the last year to have Terralogic technology. It's a silver/red/blue 2006 disc only F100X fork that was spaced down to 80mm by Fox.

When Fox went to the white forks in 2007, I picked up an F29 80mm for my 29er - sick fork as well, but the lack of Terralogic was noticeable! The remote lockout knob on the F29 wasn't up to task. The Terralogic is something many Fox owners want to retrofit into their new F29 forks, MTBR has a couple forum posts about the successful swap of internals. I have been happy with this fork, it does not leak, it does sag and there is a bit of a clunk fore and aft which I believed to be worn seals. It was sent into Fox HQ for the full 9 yards and came back feeling exactly the same with exactly the same fore aft motion. I suppose that is normal? And not many bike parts can get a "that's sexy" from the ladies, but this fork has!!!

Favorite Trail:   Demo Forest, Soquel, CA.

Purchased At:   Fox Racing Demo

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Single speed steel 26" bike suspension corrected for 80mm fork.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Venice, CA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    Rigid. Great handling. Easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    Terralogic is inconsistent. Brand new, I was amazed. Now, fully broken in, it's mushy, and this is after factory work which I paid for.

Bottom Line:
I ride more staircases and curbs on this bike than I do dirt. No question the fork tracks beautifully and soaks deflections like a sponge. Whenever I do hit the dirt on this bike it flies like on rails, and the fork's design is certainly part of the reason.

My problem is with the TerraLogic valve, the part that makes this fork cost so much. When I first installed it, locked out meant locked out - no bob, no squish, just rigidity until I hit a bump (as small as a centimeter-high join between sidewalk slabs) and the fork would open up and suck it up.

Now, a year later, the fork sags into its travel and bobs through the top inch or so continuously. (The pressure is exactly where it's always been.) I do a lot of standing and hammering on this bike (as you'd expect riding primarily on the road), and I bought this fork because I figured auto-lockout would be a great match. The squishiness has pretty much negated that idea.

And this is after sending the fork to Fox to fix right-side leaking seals. Enough oil had leaked out that the fork wasn't locking out at all. Having bought on eBay I had no warranty; Fox charged me $100 for the service and I got it back squishier than ever. And the seals still leak.

Worst of all, I keep dialing the knob to make the fork less and less sensitive s it'll stay locked out when I go to bunny hop an obstacle. Picture you're going for a hop - you grab and pull. If you've got no lockout, no problem - you know this and you compensate. Or if you're rigid, you know this and you work accordingly. But when you expect to be rigid and you compress... sometimes you're lucky to clear whatever it is you're hopping.

I like the way the fork tracks. I'd consider another Fox. But only if I got it with a warranty. And even then I wouldn't buy another Terralogic until I knew for sure they'd perfected it.

Favorite Trail:   Pauley Creek

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   A Marzocchi Z-3, which cost a quarter as much and is hardly similar but has performed flawlessly going on 3 years

Bike Setup:   24 lb steel hardtail

Submitted by jason a Racer from syracuse, ny,usa

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2004

Strengths:    the automatic lockout works for a time. Mine got progressivley mushy.

Weaknesses:    Loses oil. Weight. Not black

Bottom Line:
Fox made me pay to fix their fork, and a shock that had less than 20 hours. They claim quaility, but don't back it up. I'm selling their junk in favor of Manitou SPV. Manitou has better response on the high frequency chatter bumps, and less weight. Skareb Platinum here I come

Favorite Trail:   the one with dirt

Purchased At:   Advance Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX-R, Skareb Super

Bike Setup:   Epic, loaded

Submitted by Travis a Racer from Mesa AZ

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2004

Strengths:    Predictable handling, solid responsive tuning, no brainer lock out, plush unlocked suspension, incredable stiffness, good looking.

Weaknesses:    some oil leakage, weight,

Bottom Line:
Yes the fork does leak some oil which is silly for the price. Would I by this fork again? In a heart beat.
Bottom line you dont buy a Porshe, and complain about the money it takes to keep it in excellent running condition. This fork while a little on the heavy side is a powerfull tool in any racers bag of tricks. And worth every penny, in its performance. If you can climb good with 100mm consider the fx100 but I find it a bit choppered out for my head tube angle. This fork may not be for you weight wennies. But it is my cup of tea at 6.03 and 185lbs. I have never felt this fork give to the point I was afraid this fork inspires confidence once it is dialed to your taste. My advice if you have the means buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Rd

Purchased At:   Jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   manitou mars,black and sid

Bike Setup:   trek 9.8 tru/stylo, xtpods, raceface TI/sigBB, thompson stem and post, king hubs on mavic 819's w/stans juice in tube tires,fox fx80.

Submitted by bob a Racer from fenton

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
just a follow up to my last post - i was very impressed that a representative from fox actually came to this site, read my post, and followed up with me to ensure my satisfaction. just a couple weeks later, i am sitting with a repaired shock already back on my bike. I must say I am very pleased.

Bob

Submitted by bob a Racer from fenton, mo

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Extremely Stiff arm and lockout is amazing! Works perfectly

Weaknesses:    Oil Leaking on Right arm.

Bottom Line:
Great working shocking. Amazingly stiff and the inertia valve works perfectly. BUT it will not stop leaking. LBS is absolutely no help. 4 calls to them on this already and no answer back from Fox. Not great service/support for a $800 retail shock! The oil leaking and lack of support drops this , in my opinion, to only a 2!

Similar Products Used:   Sid(s)

Bike Setup:   2003 S-Works FSR - many upgrades

Submitted by Paul Miller a Cross Country Rider from london

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Strengths:    Reviewing FX100: Amazing stiffness, lockout sags when out of the saddle steepening head angle as you climb. When adjusted to small bump threshhold works best.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
These are the best forks I've ridden to date, they complement the rear end of an epic although I am looking forward to getting the 2004 adjustable brain so I can properly balance both ends.

Favorite Trail:   lookout

Purchased At:   Action bikes Ruislip

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy xc, Pace Rc35, Marzocchi Z1(x2), x-fly 80 & Marathon

Bike Setup:   S-works Epic 2003, Full XTR, Hope, king, easton bars, Mavic

Submitted by John a Racer from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Fast! Works as marketed
Very Precise
Terrific race fork

Weaknesses:    More small bump vibrations - hard on the wrists till tuned....leaked on right side

Bottom Line:
I have gradually learned to like this fork - although I have reduced the air pressure so that it starts movement on even small bumps....I ride every day - and noticed that my hands and wrists got beat up at first - just like riding pre-shock....but now it is sucking most of them up...

But - I had the same leakage problem on the right side - and my fork had to be sent back to Fox. I hope they get it fixed right!

May get another fork for everyday riding and use this for races.

Purchased At:   Titus

Similar Products Used:   Sids and X/Fly 80

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X -

Submitted by Mike Engle a Cross Country Rider from Pocatello, Idaho

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Amazing stiffness/steering, plush on big hits, active when you want it and rigid on smooth climbs. Exactly as advertised, terralogic is seamless. All I notice is a major performance improvement over my 2001 OEM Sid. The Sid was way too flexy and I lived with for 3 seasons. This fork is incredible.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
My fuel is quick and an incredible ride though the SID was holding me back. I am not a racer but an epic rider. The uphill performance is better and the downhill is confidence inspiring - absolutely no comparison. Fantastic 80 mm fork. I demo'd a Fox Talas but even at 85 mm in affected the geometry and handling of my bike. Performance of the Talas was amazing and I new I had to get a Fox and I got the F80X instead - no regrets, worth every penny. Point and shoot! Totally recommended for cross-country race, cross-country adventure and epic riders.

Favorite Trail:   riding here sucks ;-)

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox SID, Fox Talas RLC

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 100 with many after market upgrades - best of which is my Fox F80X

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Strengths:    I have about 6-rides on the F80X and it performs as stated. On & off function is seamless, with noticeable improvement in efficiency on smooth surfaces while maintaining an extremely plush ride when needed. Weight is very reasonable considering the precision steering one gets from the stiff design. The minimal weight penalty is well worth the performance and hopefully longevity. Dollar amount was not reported as it was a comlete bike deal.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet.

Bottom Line:
I would never go back to a standard fork, with or without a lock out. The terralogic works so well and seamless that all you have to think about is hammering. Combine this fork with a 5th Element air shock and you have a true cross country competitive ride that is plush when needed. Epic riders would also benefit from this Fork or the F100X.

Favorite Trail:   Mckenzie river

Purchased At:   Universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   Several high end forks.

Bike Setup:   2004 Yeti ASR-5th Element air, XO, Marta SL, Crossmax SL, XTR cranks, Easton, Thompson

Submitted by John Carpenter a Cross Country Rider from Mission Viejo

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    The Fox F80X Automatic (inertia) lock-out really works!
The fork easy to adjust and set up. It really wont compress with heavy front braking which allows you to have a lively feel on single track. Its fairly light, and its also stiff which provides a lot of confidence. Its far better than any of the competitors.

Weaknesses:    Some reviews say it will leak oil, however i am having success with mine and with Fox. Takes a while to dial it in, But then Your Golden!
You Will look down on these other brands!

Bottom Line:
It gives me more confidence on the trail! Thanks to the guys at BeyondBikes.Com for the awesome custom build, and the perfect set up with my Spider/F80X I am railing single track like no other! I was originally going to do a different model, but decided to go with the Fox after some convincing! Now I wouldnt have it any other way! This fork really improves a top of the line xc bike!!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes.Com

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float RLC 100's, Rock Shox 02 Sid Carbon's, Mantiou Black Elites 80/100 02 model

Bike Setup:   The Ultimate XC Bike Setup: Frame in Iron with red decals, Fox Forx F80X, All Shimano XTR, 03 Dual brakes/shifter controls, 03 XTR Disc brakes, Thomson Elite Stem (Black), Mavic UST X3.1 Wheels Hand Built Buy a Pro, Easton Ec 70bars, Thomson Seatpost, WTB Rocket V Laser Saddle, panaracer 2.1 meats!

Submitted by andy mills a Racer from winter park, fl

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    Exactly as it is billed- the ultimate XC fork. Super rigid stantions- NO lateral flex, super plush and very cool... Fox's service is outstanding, as is their tech support at NCS events

Bottom Line:
This fork is exactly what it was billed to be- soak up the bumps and lock right back out for the most efficient XC ride out there. I love my 80RLT and actually switch back and forth between forks depending on the course!! I used the 80X last weekend in a race and it rocked. You can blaze out of the turns because the handling is spot on and the fork immediately locks out when you get off the roughage. It worked great, and provided a super smooth ride, yet locked out on the flats and ups (as its supposed to). I used 2 clicks firmer than the factory set up (which is 6 clicks) and I'm getting progressively higher (for the bump threshold) as time goes on. I have been amazed by FOX forks and rear shocks. These guys build amazing, no nonsense shocks. Thanks and keep it up!!

Favorite Trail:   1990 UCI Worlds course in Durango

Similar Products Used:   Fox 80 RLT, Rock Shox SID carbon, Rock Shox SID SL

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100 (carbon) with King headset and disc hubs, FOX 80X up front, Fox RL in the rear (super nice also), Bontrager cranks, bar, stem and seatpost, Hayes disc brakes.

Submitted by Rich E a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Strengths:    Super Super stiff! TIV is awsome! Light!

Weaknesses:    I've herd that FOX has seom awfull customer service

Bottom Line:
After 3 months of use i have concluded that this fork is awomse! TIV is so great! it takes some getting used to at first, but once you do you relise how much faster you go! High points
Super Super stiff
Smoothest slider i've ever used, very plush and linear
TIV
Light!
Lows
Price is very high

Thats about it. I was lucky enough to get the 04 version and i havent experienced any of the problems the others have been talking about. And for gods sake, Dont use Rock shox world cup!! it may be .35 lbs lighter, but this is SOOOO much stiffer, has TIV, actly gets advertised travel (you cant get more then 63mm from any of the 02-03 sid line) and you dont have to worry about a carbon crown craking(Though it looks cool as hell) From reading past reviews I reccomend trying to get the 04 model if you can!!

Favorite Trail:   John Mur

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox world cup (Light, yeat so crappy!) Rock shox judu SL (not bad for a fork that is 3 years old!)

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.9 03 xtr group, F80 TIV

Submitted by Rick from Grand Junction

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    This is a follow up from my below review.

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with c.j. below, the fork leaks oil from the right (damper) side. I called Fox about this and they gave me the same line of crap that is in their service manual. That is, that the fork has sponges under the seals to hold the oil and lubricate the slider tubes (hydrodynamic lubrication). OK, that’s fine, but the demonstration that there is something wrong is the fact that the leakage is asymmetrical. That is, the left side (air spring side) weeps little oil, but the right side leaks excessive amounts. If it were nothing more than simple hydrodynamic lubrication than both sides should weep oil at the same rate, but they do not. Here's what is going on. The left side of the fork only contains 35cc of oil, but the right side contains 160cc of oil. Oil in the right side is being forced out of the fork by hydraulic pressure produced during the compression stroke (the seals are not strong enough to hold back the fluid). This does not occur on the left side because the left side contains much less fluid and, therefore, produces much less hydraulic pressure. The fork is fundamentally flawed and Fox refuses to admit it. You cannot service this fork on your our own, so if you ride a lot, you will need to return it to Fox once or twice or more a year. This is ridiculous from a $700 fork. The problem is that are basically no good forks on the market by any manufacturer.

Favorite Trail:   Ribbon

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by Steve Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Steamboat Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Strengths:    When it works, this is a precision fork, slicing through turns with great accuracy, and ridding bumps in the trail with ease.

Weaknesses:    This is an update to two earlier reviews; my second F80x just went "active" full-time and I give up - I am no longer willing to be an unpaid beta tester for Fox. Dealer sent it back, they repaired it and I sold it. Purchased a 100RLC - fairly proven product from them.

Bottom Line:
I am sure Fox will solve this problem sooner or later as I see the trend in shocks moving toward interia valve type suspension. Next year's Specialized upper end ($$$) bikes are all coming with inertia valve suspension on the rear - they call it the IQ Brain.

The rear Brain shock on this Epic has worked well for me after a 1000 miles of riding on it, so I think they will get this technology right on the front shocks, too.

Favorite Trail:   The last one I rode

Purchased At:   Sore Saddle Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Fox 80RLC, Fox Talas RLC, Zoke Atom 80, Zoke X2Fly.

Bike Setup:   S-Works Epic with CrossMax UST, 2.3 Scorpions, King Headset, Maxim MX-6 Bars, 959 SPD's, Terry Fly Gel seat, Fox Float 100 RLC.

What to do with my old beloved Fox F80X Terralogic

Hello, I recently moved, I had a moving company taking care of everything... Now a few weeks later I wanted to jump on the bike and take it for a spin but the fork is completely screwed up. Once I hop on the bike, the fork sags down about 15mm, when I put some weight on the fork it almost bottom ... Read More »

2007 Fox F80X Terralogic Fork: Any Good ??

Hi I just got a 07 Fox F80 RLC which came with a Giant Anthem Advanced frame. I already have a 2010 RockShox Sid WC fork (bought it new, almost no use) and wonder if I should keep the Fox F80 RLC and sold my Sid WC so that can get cash out of the SID for other things. The Fox seems to be in great ... Read More »

2007 Fox F80X Terralogic Fork: Any Good ??

Hi I just got a 07 Fox F80 RLC which came with a Giant Anthem Advanced frame. I already have a 2010 RockShox Sid WC fork (almost new) and wonder if I should keep the Fox F80 RLC and sold my Sid WC so that can get cash out of the SID for other things. The Fox seems to be in great physical condition ... Read More »

Fox F80RLC or F80X internally adjustable travel?

I am looking at purchasing a used F80 RLC or F80X front fork model year 2006-08. Can the suspension travel be adjusted to 100mm of travel like the newer F100 forks can be adjusted to either 100mm or 80mm of travel? Thanks in advance for your help.Read More »

Clunky F80x

I have a 2006 Fox F80x, and the initial hit is always clunky. Once the gate opens up, the travel is smooth again. My F100X is not nearly as rough when the inertia valve opens up. I had the fork rebuilt a couple month ago, and the mechanic said he cleaned out the terralogic assembly. Are the F80x ... Read More »