Fox Racing Shox F80RLT 2003 Front Shocks

4.43/5 (37 Reviews)

• Weight: approx. 3.32 lbs.
  • 32mm Hard Anodized Easton EA70 stanchion tubes
  • 12 click rebound adjustment
  • Factory tuned compression damping

Submitted by D L a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Super Plush, Stiff

Weaknesses:    Forks sent in by my LBS for new seals. It took 4 MONTHS, (YES MONTHS!) to get new seals installed at the Fox facility! WOW! Apparently 3 of the weeks were due to the forks being sent to the wrong return address by Fox. Sounds like nobody really cares about the customer at Fox.

Bottom Line:
Works great when working, constant problems with seals leaking, I will never again send to Fox for anything if I can help it. I've heard from others that they've had issues with Fox customer service, turn around, etc. Apparently customer service isn't important to them. I own two Fox forks, the others I purchased new at a LBS and I've had nothing but issues with the original seals either leaking or completely blowing out within the first few months of ownership. I've never had these issues with any other fork period! For the record, I take exceptional care of my equipment.

Favorite Trail:   Noble / Sweetwater

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, Marzocchi, Manitou

Submitted by Don Griffiths a Cross Country Rider from Ben Lomond, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    The reviews sound good

Weaknesses:    Lack of product support, no custom orders

Bottom Line:
Well, Fox headquarters is about 30 miles from where I live as the crow flies, but I could not even contact anyone to
request a custom 1" head tube installed in the crown for my "last a lifetime" $1900 titanium Merlin frame. So out of desperation I ended up purchasing a Marzzochi Corsa SL WC that was mfgd more than 7000+ miles away in Italy. I'll leave an honest review on the Corsa.

Favorite Trail:   Top Secret

Purchased At:   Nowhere

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Mag 21, Hey 12 years 10,000 miles later they still work, no rebuilds.

Bike Setup:   95' Merlin Hard Tail, XTR

Submitted by Arthur from Philadelphia, CA, US

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Strengths:    Test:

I read all the past years reviews about the malfunctions and sealing problems, but the 2007 model is superb, terralogic works without you notice any lag in time. it`s the best combination you can have with the epic brain. Try IT. you will not regreat!

Bottom Line:

-------This is a test posting

Submitted by Greg Armstrong a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    tracks well, plush, reliable

Bottom Line:
Two years of hammering rugged desert terrain with zero maint. and still going strong. I'm a 200# rider who likes long fast rocky descents. I get no knocking noises that other riders complain about. I now ride this fork fairly soft for extra plush on the rough trails here. Tracks perfectly on technical trails (along with the Chris King headset- a major improvement if you can afford it) especially on those slow speed/wrestle the front wheel around/do or die manuevers. It helps to set the compression damping on the high side. I use zip ties for gauges to make sure I'm using the full travel of the suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Lemmon, etc.

Purchased At:   Bikes West

Similar Products Used:   several Judys, RST, etc.

Bike Setup:   specialized epic comp, King headset

Submitted by Doug Gangi a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, plush travel, strong/stiff, looks great. Did I say reliable?

Weaknesses:    Spendy

Bottom Line:
This is the best and most reliable fork I have ever owned...bar none. I've had this on my bike for 2 years now and it has never given me any problems whatsoever -- no leaks, nothing. I just took it into the shop to get it serviced because I figured it had been neglected long enough. The shop charged me to change the oil and clean up the innerds, but everything else was 100% fine. Absolutely amazing dependability!

What attracted me to Fox in the first place is the plushness of the travel. It's top notch...better than other forks I have tried (although the new Reba's are pretty damn plush too).

The fork's 32mm stanchions are strong. This fork tracks straight and true, even when hammering the rock gardens. Sure this fork is 1/2 pound heavier than some other "XC" forks out there, but I will gladly give up 1/2 pound to have the stiffness up front.

Bottom line is that I am now a Fox believer. At first I was skeptical because everybody was blabbing about how great Fox Forx were and Fox was charging a ridiculous premium. But now that I've ridden a Fox I am a convert and will surely have Fox Forx on my future bikes...no matter what the cost.

4 chili's for value as these are spendy forks, but 5 chili's for the overall rating because this is such a great piece of equipment.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone I am riding on

Purchased At:   Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX-Ti, Noleen Mega Air, Rock Shox Indy SL, old elastomer shocks

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff Legs (Tracks Well on Trail), Adjustments, Plush Travel, Lock Out Adjustment, Good Seals

Weaknesses:    Slightly on the Heavy Side

Bottom Line:
This review is for 2002 Fox F80 RLC. Just like RLT with addtional compression dial. I replaced my tired Manitou Elite with this fork. This fork tracks on the trail so much better then my Manitou. Instead of deflecting off rocks it pushs right through them, whether climbing or decending. Bottom line--improves steering control! Compression seems a little on the stiff side, I'm glad I have the compression adjustment to lossen it up a bit. Fork bobs quite a bit during inital travel (first 10mm), just lock it out and climb or hammer the flats. Bob not noticed in rough stuff or downhill. Lockout threshold is great asset. I set it up stiff for racing--when I expect to be out of the saddle. Set it up plusher for longer, in saddle climbs. Durablity seems to be good, last owner had it for two years and never changed oil or serviced it. Bushings still seem tight and performs good. I'm a cheap skate, would I pay new, full price for this fork? Maybe, but I got it for 1/3 the price of a new one and it's already broke in--good deal in my book.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX, Manitou MARS Elite

Bike Setup:   2002 Stumpjumper Pro FSR, Fox RP3 rear shock,

Submitted by Font Ninea a Cross Country Rider from Menlo Park, CA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Strengths:    tracks 100% on target, fully adjustable, perfect craftsmanship

Weaknesses:    only comes in 80mm

Bottom Line:
I may have already reviewed this fork (though, I didn't see it on the board). Here is an update after riding for over a month on it.

It seems to have broken in nicely. The adjustments work as designed and everything is super smooth. I have noticed some "knocking" sounds when it tops out as others have mentioned, but it seems like it's not metal on metal, so I'm not worried. And it's not an "ugly" sound.

I love the lock-out feature. I really didn't think i'd use it, but it's proven itself oh-so-worthy in SS conditions when out of the saddle and hammering. I cannot imagine doing it any other way.

Another reviewer mentioned the Fox recommended air pressure seems too low. I thought so, too, but, after experimenting with higher pressures I think the manual is right on for my weight. YMMV. I found the default settings perfect for me, but you should experiment.

The hardest part after switching to this fork was learning how to ride again. I had compensated for my SID for so long it made my bike feel like it was from another planet. It used to be like steering a wet noodle. Now it's like steering an aeleron of a 767.

I recently rode a friend's SS with a 125mm FOX (don't know which one) and it ruled. I only wish the F80RLT came in longer lengths.

I could not be happier.

Favorite Trail:   doctors park

Purchased At:   LBS (Go Ride in Redwood City)

Similar Products Used:   1999 SID, rigid

Bike Setup:   SS Chameleon, geared Chameleon

Submitted by Sam Hickman a Cross Country Rider from lkwd Co

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Strengths:    Easy setup-adjusts very easy-very plush

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but worth it for the stiffness

Bottom Line:
get ride very plush The lock out is easy to use while riding a bit on the heavy side but tracks very well

Favorite Trail:   mathews winters

Purchased At:   hp bike works

Similar Products Used:   judy dh

Bike Setup:   Salsa Bandito full XTR with a XT crank so I could get a 48t ring and king wheels

Submitted by Craig from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Plush suspension, STIFF, easy to set up, tracks very well, more travel than w/ other 80mm forks (@ least SID).

Weaknesses:    Bit on the heavy side (not heavy, just a bit heavier than the SID I was using).

Bottom Line:
Only have 3 rides on it, but I'm impressed so far. I notice much better tracking and control due to the increased stiffness. Suspension movement is plush. Seem to be getting more travel than w/ the SID. I feel more confident on the decents. Great XC fork, especially for someone like me who weights 185.

Favorite Trail:   Pt. Mugu, Chesboro

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Manitous SXR, SID SL

Bike Setup:   Ibis Silk Ti, Mavic Crossmax, Race Face Next cranks, Crank Bros Triple Ti pedals, King headset, Paul's motolight brakes and Love levers, XTR shifters, derailleurs, American Classic bottom bracket, Fox Forx F80RLT

Submitted by Christoph a Cross Country Rider from Stuttgart, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    plush, stiff, easy to set up

Weaknesses:    maybe price

Bottom Line:
At first, the price does not really invite to buy this fork, if bike doesn't come equipped with. But this is really is the best fork I've ever used!!! I tried the Marathon SL before, but this is the opposite of this fork in terms of plushness. And it is plush from the beginning. Good job, guys from Fox!!!
The fork is really easy to set up, and the quality of the components is outstanding. Not one single cheap part.
The fork is also very stiff what makes it a good choice for use of disc brakes. Plus this makes steering very precise.

BTW: I can not confirm the clicking sounds some people mention.

I don' regret any dollar spent for this fork. I would recommend it to anybody who gets along with the travel of 80mm.

Favorite Trail:   Tremalzo Trails, Lake Garda, Italy

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Marathon SL 2003

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Race with F80RLT, wild mix of different components :-)

Submitted by TODD a Cross Country Rider from GARNER

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    Rigidity, dampening, lockout.

Bottom Line:
I was concerned that maybe I was wasting my money on a new fork, but damn, this is the best fork I've ever been on. Yeah it's expensive, but it works flawlessly, and was easy to dial in. If you can swing the cost, get one.

Favorite Trail:   All trails are favorites

Similar Products Used:   Marzzochi atom race,m80, rock shox.

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe, xtr/xt, avid, thomson, selle italia, race face, titec, tioga, WTB.

Submitted by Paul from Acworth, Ga

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2003

Strengths:    Outstanding tracking, stiff, you can really tune this thing in.

Weaknesses:    Only thing I have bad to say so far is that it does leak oil on the right side.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the F80RL. Best fork I have ever used. It was as dramatic a change from my Duke Race as I experienced going from a rigid fork to a suspension fork. I can not compare this to any other product used, its that much better.

Purchased At:   came stock on bike