Foes XTD Fork 2003 Front Shocks

Utilizing the Curnutt XTD concepts and the Foes F1 fork technology, the Foes XTD fork is destined to make big waves in the world of long travel bicycle suspension. The fork features oversized upper and lower legs, leading axle configuration, integrated stem, light-but-stiff design, and of course, the 30mm front axle that has always made Foes F1 forks torsionally much stiffer than any other inverted fork ever made. Easy to adjust anti-dive and anti-bottom features ensure proper set-up for any course or trail. Currently under development and scheduled for Spring 2003 release, these forks will be a limited production item.

Submitted by Andrew Chapman a Downhiller from Poway

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Super stiff, Sounds cool, 30mm axel, intergrated stem, 8.5 inches of travel, and the effect when someone see it on your bike.

Weaknesses:    harder to bunny hop at first.

Bottom Line:
This fork is the stiffest inverted fork i have ridden and it sucks more stuff imaginable and again it sound cool when the fork compresses. Yes i had to take out a loan to buy it but i am only 20 so it is a good way to build credit. The best way to get a look or too from people when they see that XTD symbol on the fork.
No other company helps you set up your fork like Eric from foes, he totally made the fork feel even better after it broke in.

Favorite Trail:   split rock

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   f1 xl and wet ones, super t's and junior t.

Bike Setup:   Foes dhs tube with curnutt ti spring, xtd fork kig headset, saint cranks, dur-ace derailuer, rocket shifters,
mavic 321 rims and maxxis tires, hayes brakes.

Submitted by Rolfe a Downhiller from NorCal

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Curnutt internals, huge slider tubes, direct mount stem, adjustibility, Ti springs (available mid summer '04-can't wait!), stability, wheel tracking.

Weaknesses:    I'll have to relearn how to bunnyhop because of the stable platform. Also a bit on the heavy side (could that be a positive when going downhill?)

Bottom Line:
First off, I have to say I'm a big fan of the Curnutt shock that Foes makes fr their frames. I you haven't ridden a Curnutt, it is far different than the 5th element or Manitou SPV lines. The compression and rebound damping change throughout the stroke of the shock, which give the shock a supple yet lively feel.

Now for my impressions onf the new XTD Fork. Yes it is expensive. I shouldn't have afforded it, but I am glad I did. $2300 was hard to swallow, but sh!t, can you put a price on pleasure and you only live once!

It has slider tubes that rival the size of the Monster T, a six bolt lower crown and a four bolt upper crown. It is very stout. It weighs 10.1 pounds, with the axle, hub, stem and all, or about 8 pounds without all the stuff. It has 8.5 inches of travel.

The fork is like no other on the market. When you compress the forks against the ground, out of the box, they feel very soft, like the spring is 1/2 the rate it should be. Once I got it on the bike, I pedaled it around the driveway, rolled off a few stairs. It feels very different than any other forks. It feels like my Curnutt rear shock.

In the first 1/3 of it's travel, the rebound is fairly slow, though the mid stroke damping is much lighter and lively. The compression of the stable platform is smooth and supple, yet pedaling doesn't make it pogo very much. And braking doesn't cause it to dive so much either.

I decided to test it out on a downhill trail which has about 40 or so railroad ties, which drop off anywhere from 1-3 feet. Loose rocks, off camber turns, etc, included. The small rocks and undulations provided just enough feedback to my arms, allowing me to sense the terrain I was traveling over. The small RR tie drops, waterbars, and rocks were leveled out. The faster I would go, the smoother it got. Hitting loose rocks wasn't an issue. The front simply rolled over them, not even kicking the front end around. The wheel also tracks incredibly well, better than my F1xl, better than my old Stratos Superstar, better than my old Jr. T. It is a much different feeling than a typical DH fork.

At the end of the run, there is an old cement pump house (looks more like a bunker), which drops about 7 feet to a slight downhill landing. Typically, you travel 15 feet across before touching down. And that is what the front did. Touch down. Ever so lightly, I feel more impact when I roll my singlespeed off a curb.

I can't wait until this thing breaks in, it can only get better!

Oh yeah, The steerer tube is internally threaded, so no more starnuts.

Value is 5 because there is nothing elese like it on the Market. The price is steep, but you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   Foes F1XL, Stratos 6o7, Stratos Superstar, Jr. T, Monster T

Bike Setup:   Foes Fly, Curnutt rear shock, XTD fork, Chris King, Raceface, Thompson, easton carbon bars, WTB tires, etc.

Submitted by Rolfe a Downhiller from NorCal

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Bottom Line:

I can't wait until this thing breaks in, it can only get better!

Oh yeah, The steerer tube is internally threaded, so no more starnuts

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   123bikes

Curnutt Air Damper and XTD-Fork

since I'm a proud owner of a 2011 Mono (Coil-Curnutt) I'm often return to the Foes-Racing Website to see the latest changes in the line up... Since the Hydro is on the market, there is a clear shift away from the Mono -not a big suprise on that. Having visited the page again today, I saw, that t ... Read More »

foes XTD F1 fork rebuild

is it possible to rebuild the Foes XTD fork without sending it to foes for a rebuild , and waiting a month or more is there a manual for it avalible online?Read More »

Help for a F1 XTD front fork

For reasons I will not go into, I am in a position to afford a Foes front fork, the F1 XTD. It should be a no-brainer decision, given how much I love my Fly, but I am having doubts and would like help from anyone, especially owners of the fork, to help me decide. Please don't post with something l ... Read More »

Foes Curnutt XTD Fork

Someone have it or heard about leaking from the dust seals ???Read More »

first ride impressions on Foes XTD fork

First off, I have to say I'm a big fan of the Curnutt shock that Foes makes fr their frames. I you haven't ridden a Curnutt, it is far different than the 5th element or manitou SPV lines. The compression and rebound damping change throughout the stroke of the shock, which give the shock a supple y ... Read More »