Free Agent Hellcat 2003 BMX

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by mn king of dirt a Weekend Warrior from st.cloud mn

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    full cromoly wishbone frame w/ reinforced top and bottom tubes and 8mm dropouts, euro bottom bracket w/ sealed tubular 3 piece crank, sealed headset and hubs w/ 14mm front and rear axles

Weaknesses:    I tweaked my back rim pretty bad and only had the bike for 3 months but im a hardcore dirt jumper

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best bikes you can get the only weakness is the rims and you can get a descent back rim for 55 bucks. this bike can take whatever you can throw at it and it will ask for more. i wouldnt waste 700 bucks on a custom bike when you can get this one for 500

Favorite Trail:   dirt jumps,lol

Purchased At:   rods bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek t.i 2

Bike Setup:   3piece cranks, doublewall sealed wheels, inverted 990 brake,gyro, sealed headset,39/14 gearing, 2.25 dirt tires and a chaintensioner

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Orillia, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    light, beefy frame and forks, strong bars, dirt jumping frame and stem, sealed headset and crank

Weaknesses:    1 pc crank, brakes suck

Bottom Line:
AWESOME BIKE BUY IT

Favorite Trail:   whatever ive hit

Purchased At:   super shopper(magazine)

Similar Products Used:   sweet bike(from canadian tire), mongoose motivator(chinese gas pipe as me and my friends called it) x games tracer

Bike Setup:   fsa headset, zac 2200 rims, homebre brakes, gyro2, specialized pedals, haro sprocket and crank, everything else freeagent

Submitted by Cory Mathewws from ddddddddddddd

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great Strong frame...ive done everything on it and have only had a few eroors. the forks are alo great andvery strong. I take it of 12 footers and it handles them great

Weaknesses:    Pedals suck, bars could use improvement

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE

Favorite Trail:   ddddddddddddd

Purchased At:   dans

Similar Products Used:   _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Bike Setup:   tookof the brakes and gyro, got neew 3peice-oddysey pedals and rims

Submitted by Ben Schiltmeijer a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is strong as a tank though not as quite as heavy, it's not as pretty as the 99-00 model that had a sweet gusset on the head tube. Nice strong dropouts 8mm instead of the usual 6mm PHAT!!!

Weaknesses:    No gusset makes the frame look a little skinny, i don't like GYRO's on my dirt bikes so that had to come off, The bars were well big but once my S&M slams were on it was looking and riding sweet!

Bottom Line:
The basic set up is above average, great if you're just getting into dirt/trials even street, The frame is superb it can take anything i throw at it and i've snapped a dk frame before so it's be tough, if you are more experienced you may want to customise the set up a bit.
Free agent have outdone themselves once more (still not sure why they got rid of the head tube gusset though?)

Favorite Trail:   Ones we made in the country side (Location Secret)

Purchased At:   Spokes N' Saddles

Similar Products Used:   S&M Dirt Bike, FELT Pyre, STANDARD sta

Bike Setup:   I ran the complete set up but removed the Gyro and front brake. I then added a Profile 3 piece crank, DMR v12 pedals and my cut down S&M slam bars, Hoffman Superforks and a RedNeck stem.

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from whitestone, ny

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    great frame, so far has took anything i can throw at it, wheels are great dubble walls havnt bent yet, overall great bike, i've put it though 5ft jumps nd its fine.

Weaknesses:    its got bad pedals, the crank is forged,needs to get rid of the gryo, freewheel aint that great, chainwheel could be thicker.

Bottom Line:
its a great bike, it can handle anything you can dish out, the best bike I ever had. I have a feeling I wont be needing a new bike anytime soon. anyone who needs a new bike that can handle dirt nd street should get this.

Favorite Trail:   crochron park

Purchased At:   dans comp

Similar Products Used:   I used to ride a dyno air which i destroyed.

Bike Setup:   i cut my bars an inch or two, odosey j pegs, nd snafu pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Palemount, PA, US

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Strengths:    Frame can take one heck of a beating, All around good bike, FreeAgent perfected the Hellcat through the years,I was most impressed with the hellcats style... this is one hell of a good bike

Weaknesses:    Bad pedals, needs a straight cable..and sealed cranks

Bottom Line:
Freeagent expresses istelf in the individual who rides freeagent, his style, look, attitude, make up freeagent
The 2003 Hellcat is one hella of a bike, it can handle everything a rider can dishout... The 2003 hellcat is a must for everyonee

Purchased At:   Dans Comp

Similar Products Used:   Haros,Hoffmans,Haro backtrail x3..really ditzy bike, frame is weak near the dropouts.

Bike Setup:   I put on a straightcable, diatech brakes (the best)

Hellcat / Minnar and mallet interference

After blowing through a pair of pearl Izumi xalp elites in roughly six months, I decided the minnars were the ticket for durability. I pretty much always run the metal beater blockers, now know as the shoe blockers on the CB site. That generally takes care of the shim/shoe tread issues. Not in this ... Read More »

Does any have 510 Hellcat/Minaar and NOT use SPD

Looking into getting some 510s, really like the way the Hellcat and Minaar look, and also that they have the velcro strap at the top. I know they are SPD shoes but would it be all that wrong to run them with flats? They have a piece that plugs the SPD whole, it screws it like they could be meant to ... Read More »

5.10 Impact vs Hellcat

I'm just getting into biking and am looking to pick up a bike specific shoe. My bike has platform pedals that I'm probably going to be using for a while, although I would like to go clipless in the future. In searching the forum I've seen that Impacts come highly recommended, I was going to pick som ... Read More »

Wide feet ... 5.10 Hellcat spd? or....

Hey, I'm shopping for a "sneaker" style spd shoe. My shoe size is 12.5 2e (wide) The 5.10 Hellcat looks wide. Anyone have these shoes? Would you say they are more wide than narrow? Any other recommendations are welcome. thanks.Read More »

Five Ten Hellcat SPD shoe with flats?

I'm going to give flats a try after years of clipless. I know Five Ten Impacts are really popular with flats, but I tried on a pair, and they felt overly puffy to me. Is anyone running the [URL="http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/10104-hellcat-spd"]Hellcat SPD[/URL] with flats?Read More »