Kona Hula 2002 Kids

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by andrew davidge a Racer from losgatos ca u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    it has a pretty strong frame and a nice stem and handle bar

Weaknesses:    the fork bottoms out when ever i land hard and the derralier is not to good and if it came with a nice pare of rims it would be alought better

Bottom Line:
if i was going to by a realy nice croos country bike for my kid i would get the hula

Favorite Trail:   saint jones

Purchased At:   callabazis cyclery

Bike Setup:   it is very lie and easy to jump and the geometry is pretty nice

Submitted by Jacob Plant a Cross Country Rider from calgary, Ab, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    After about 6 months of use, the frame broke at the front weld. Kona refuses to warranty the bike saying I used it too hard. I am 60 lbs and 9 years old. When I got the bike, we were told it was a high end kids bike and would stand up to anything a kid my age could do.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money if it can't last more than 6 months. My parents agreed to buy a high end bike thinking it would outlast me, my younger brother and sister. Now, I have no bike.

Favorite Trail:   Canada Olympic Park

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Submitted by Dana Wheeldon a Cross Country Rider from Comox, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent size and weight. I am 9 years old and a little on the short size. The seat goes down plenty low enough for me and I don't have to reach too far for the handlebars
The steering is perfect and I like to go fast in the single track trails - very fast. I like the great Kona graphics (blue and white). I like the Hula because it is just perfect for my size and age.

Weaknesses:    The tires don't have the best traction. I am going to try to get bigger tires this winter - something with more grip for the mud and roots.

Bottom Line:
I don't think that my parents could have found a better "real" mountain bike for me. This bike will be able to take any kind of riding I want to do until I grow out of it. I may start to do some racing this Fall. I think that Simon's Cycles has some of the best bikes around that I like.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Bait - Comox Lake