Trek 820 2002 Hardtail

4.41/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by AC8AY a Weekend Warrior from Gaylord, Mi 49735

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Price! I am 6'4" and 240lbs, and the bike has been ridden quite a bit. . It has been fast on the hard pack, and has a super low gear for the tough climbs. Taken the roots and bounced and rocked over them.

Weaknesses:    I did replace the petal for some with clips and cage combo. I have slightly bent the 2nd gear crank gear shifting into the 1st while really cranking hard. Kind of expected I guess. I have had the chain come out of the rear derailuer. Not sure how but was able to fix it quickly with a multi tool

Bottom Line:
For the price, it can't be beat. And if you are interested and not wanting to make a large investment. You cannot go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Hanson Hills

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop in

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden a "mart" bike and did not end well for the bike...

Bike Setup:   Stock expect for the petals, and I have added a bike computer and an Etrex Legend GPS w/handlebar mount

Submitted by Rag00doll a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2008

Strengths:    Good Frame, Rear Derailleur

Weaknesses:    Fork(doesn't work in cold...at all)

Bottom Line:
Good bike for it's price. I put this bike through way more than it was EVER intended to. I beat it up A lot. Just this weekend I took it to Hartwood acres and just today North Park. Has a few hundred miles on it definitely. Must be maintained when used a lot. I've replaced the front Chainring because of an accident on a log pile. Replaced a spoke on the front rim after a run in with a downed tree.(Over the handlebars anyone?) Then replaced the front rim during a rainy day on a rock. I've used a lot of tubes, but none in the past 3 months i'd say. Both front and rear have old patches on and holding strong. Derailleur has been adjust to shift correctly once, and i adjusted it myself. Today a rock got stuck in my rear brakes and i ignored it. Bad idea. Now theres a nice circular engraving on my rim. Overall Good bike and can take a lot.

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Scholls Bicycle Cent

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700

Submitted by Joe from wind ont can

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    awsome shifting,geat handling,

Weaknesses:    sorta heavy, umm just today i fipped and bent my rim soo that could be a little stronger, better pedals would be nice, a differnt fork because id personally rather use rock shox.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for beginners but be careful beating it up although the frame is great. all you pretty much need is a new fork and youd be set.

Favorite Trail:   technical/downhills

Purchased At:   curtose cycles

Bike Setup:   tri bars(for triatholon in the summer),cpu,and soo a new rim

Submitted by Ben Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks ND USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Price, durability, looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. I am a police officer on a bike patrol during the summer. This bike feels and rides very well. For work I ride much more expensive bikes, and this one has much the same feel as the upper models (when used appropriately). Highly recommended for beginners and intermediate riders. (might want to get an upgraded seat post and saddle eventually to avoid the baboon butt)

Favorite Trail:   NA

Purchased At:   Ski and Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Wal-Mart crap

Bike Setup:   As-is, with toe clips

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from north attleboro ma

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike during the beggining of the summer. i could not ride it until the end of the summer though.(Earlier bike accident) After about 3 months the crank bent and eventually broke off. Overall i like this bike. It is a good value. I just think the good people @ trek should put better parts on this bike. This is a good bike for a begginer

Submitted by Zack a Weekend Warrior from Elon University, NC

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Trigger shifting kicks ass; its fast!, v-brakes are strong, tires are grippy on all surfaces. Heavy, but tough as nails. Aesthetically pleasing as well. (mines blue and black, exclusively)

Weaknesses:    Seat post is made of soft aluminum, it slips and shows wear often. Pedals aren't great, seat hurts my grundle after a long day.

Bottom Line:
Awesome beginner bike. I can take on almost anything with it, and when I end up going over the bars the only thing damaged is my pride. I would recommend this to anyone on a budget.

Favorite Trail:   anything with mud, rocks and water

Purchased At:   Elon Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1988 Trek 830, 1998 Trek 840... (both were stolen, so I'm not positive about the model #'s.)

Bike Setup:   2002 Standard 820 drivetrain components, upgraded grips and sidebars, stem, pedals and seat.

Submitted by Edward a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Durability, price,fruit smoothie

Weaknesses:    fork, rims, forks not too bad esp. when you start out

Bottom Line:
The bike is terrific the fork isn't too bad. Doing 2 foot drops on them handled well, though it was still bumpy on the trails. Now I have EXRS on the front and lemme tell you this. MAkes me look Leet:) And is well worth it. It's very durable not much problems yet, except for a bent back rim,and a shaking bottem bracket.(that i should get replaced)
If you're starting out, buy this bike! And when you get better , get a new fork! Then mmm go big! finish it off with a 3k bike and you're set!

Purchased At:   sports junkies

Similar Products Used:   venture

Bike Setup:   225 pedals, 2003 EXR fork

Submitted by Alec Byrum a Cross Country Rider from Mentor, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    I love the light weight, the speed it is capable of, and how it is possible to select gears in a climb. It is the best bike i have ever owned.

Weaknesses:    The seat tube is not exactly meant for a 250 pound rider, as it gets gouged after long rides.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike has turned my life around, from one of gluttony and overeating, to a new, fit, almost in perfect shape health nut. I truly owe my life to the Trek 820, and i strongly recommend it to anyone looking to change their life.

Favorite Trail:   Lucky Stone Loop

Purchased At:   REM Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Sidewinder, Schwinn Frontier

Submitted by Cody from US

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Shocks are great. I like the shifters

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike. Its light so you can do long wheelies. And you can get high going off jumps. I like the shifters the best becouse there easer to use compared to the grip shifters. Its a very good bike Get It.

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by Dan McFetridge a Weekend Warrior from Canton

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    strong, good beginner bike

Weaknesses:    heavy, derailleur slips

Bottom Line:
Great beginner bike. Fork is not that great but it smooths the trail. Heavy, makes it hard for wheelies. Shimano Alivo is not that great, it skips after some wear and tear.stock tires are small. Bike has room for some needed upgrades. Recommended to incoming mountain bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Huckleberry

Purchased At:   Country Sports

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Mamba

Bike Setup:   RST capas, new Tioga Factory DH 2.3's

Submitted by Tom Meagher a Cross Country Rider from Stoughton,MA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    Durability,and ability to upgrade

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Great entry level bike that will handle any terrain a beginner or intermediate rider would ride. Vey durable except for the brakes which come loose when ring hard. The bike is not exspensive and has plenty of room for upgrades when you want better components. The bike is heavy bur i am up for the challenge.

Favorite Trail:   to many to chose

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback outlook

Bike Setup:   2002 trek 820

Submitted by Barney a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    I'm knew to mountain biking, but the price is the strength for me. Seems to be a great value for an entry level hardtail and decent Shimano components. I saw some lesser products in the price range I was targeting that had the grip twist shifters and I love the trigger shifters on the 820. Brakes seem very adequate thus far.

Weaknesses:    The pedals seem to be a weakness as my foot slipped off a couple times. It may be worthwhile upgrading pedals or getting different shoes.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 40 year old father of two. I recently made an investment in the family and bought bikes for everyone. I have the 17.5" 820 and my wife the 15.5" 820. I have kept in good physical shape and wanted an outdoor activity for all of us. I recently moved back to Phoenix area and with the Arizona weather, it is a sin to spend the weekends indoors. I took my first off-road adventure at Thunderbird Park last week and really loved the bike. After a few years, I may look to upgrade, but I know I am not ready to tackle some of the technical rides. However, I am anxious to try some of the highly rated trails in AZ after I get a good command of my Trek 820. I would recommend this bike to anyone that is looking to get started in trail riding. The bike is comfortable on the pavement with the Bontrager Connection tires and the front suspension seems capable of handling some bumps. However, I am 5'10", 190 lbs and I sense that a heavier person may want a better front fork. One last thing, I really recommend buying from a bike store and not a "big box" so you can get the right frame, fit, etc. Looking forward to my first Singletrack adventure.

Favorite Trail:   Don't know yet

Purchased At:   Southwest Bicycles/Arrowhead

Similar Products Used:   None, I had road bikes when I was younger.

Bike Setup:   All stock from the store or as described on the Trek website.

Submitted by Elliot Veraghen a Cross Country Rider from Gladstone MI USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Great shifting, nice tires good for mud and sand, and the v brakes work awesome.

Bottom Line:
Great all a round bike works good on trails or long pavement rides

Favorite Trail:   Days river

Purchased At:   Mr. Bike and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Some diamondbacks and fujis

Bike Setup:   Every thing is awesome

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Andover, Mass, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Strengths:    Good fame, a little heavy but doesnt slow me down. The bike is solid thanks to the steal frame. holds up under abuse. never ceriously danaged anything.

Weaknesses:    the bars are to curved and up to high an angle. The 5th and 6th gear sporket skips. Rear tire replaced twice. The shocks are kind of cheap, ive never really liked RST. They could add like an eighth gear because you out pedal the 21 on downhils.The tires dont take much abuse but its a recreational mountian bike so it wasnt made for what i do.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, im only 13 but i beat the life out of my bike. i ride it every day and excpt for some minor gear problems the bike has been a good investmant. It is axcepting to any after market parts and is easy to asemble/disasemble. Im probably going to either sell the bike of put more into it because with my riding(downhill/serious trail) this bike will probably hit the dump stock. over all nice bike, TRICK IT OUT!!like i said, im 13 but im like 159 at 5'7", its only a 16.5" frame but it works for jumps etc.

Favorite Trail:   Taft Reservation

Purchased At:   Pro Cycles, Wakefield

Bike Setup:   mosty stock, new tires and tudes, new pedals and looking into rock shox boxxer or another good downhill fork.

Submitted by Ronnie Batchelor a Weekend Warrior from Sioux City, IA USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    I've ridden this bike hard for 6 months and it's held up very, very well. Most of my riding is fairly tame, but I've taken on some more technical singletrack and its done great. For a low end, entry level bike, I couldn't be happier. The service @ Albrecht's has been fabulous as well.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy, but for the kind of riding I do, that's not a real problem. The seatpost is 29.3 mm diameter and I've had trouble finding a light replacement.

Bottom Line:
I'm very pleased with this purchase. I'd recommend it for anyone, like myself, who wants to take up recreational cycling without a ton of expense. That's my $.02 worth.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Park

Purchased At:   Albrecht's Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   The only changes I've made is adding Easton Aluminum 3 degree handlebars, new Scott Grips, a Bontrager saddle & clips for the pedals.

Trek 820 - Is this right?

My brother-in-law picked up a Trek 820 (2006) off of Craigslist and in going over it, it seemed that the gap between the left crank and the bottom bracket is a bit wide. The bottom bracket is firmly seated in the frame and the distance from the edge of the frame to edge of the crank is about 3/8". T ... Read More »

Replacing derailleur on Trek 820

I have crappy a Shimano TX rear derailleur that I need to replace... what should I replace it with? And what else to I need to replace in the process?Read More »

Has the Trek 820 always been an entry level bike?

I just checked some of the components on my 1991 Trek 820. The derailleurs are shimano gs200 with shimano M020 shifters. I paid $350 for the bike then and the current entry level 820 is only $370: $20 increase over 22 years. Q 1 has it always been an entry level bike Q 2 what is comparable of th ... Read More »

Trek 820 vs Fuji 2.1 Nevada

Hi Guys! I'm interested in getting started with mountain biking. I want to purchase my first bike (not too pricey since I want to feel the sport out). I went to my local bike shop and they recommended either the Trek 820 or the Fuji 2.1 Nevada, both for around $320. Any advice?Read More »

Trek 820

[url=http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820/]820 - Trek Bicycle[/url] Hello everybody, I haven't been riding bikes since probably 1997 when I was a kid... but I kinda want to get back into it. I have moved to a small town where everything is close enough to be ridden to. I'm ... Read More »