Trek 800 Sport 2002 Hardtail

4.15/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by samuel

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2013

Strengths:    Brilliant bike, very enjoyable to ride, great off road despite not having a suspension, hasn't let me down. Great frame

Weaknesses:    No suspension so it cant handle everything, Quite heavy

Bottom Line:
Good fun bike, suitable for single track and can take quite a beating for a bike with no suspension, overall brilliant :)

Submitted by Gerardo Tamayo

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Its an amazing bike, I've had it for over 15 years and its still the envy of all my friends. Its durable, reliable and surprisingly light for a bike of it's characteristics.

Weaknesses:    I think the only weakness is that it doesn't have disk brakes, but i will install a pair soon, also the front suspension is a bit old and i can't find one that fits.

Bottom Line:
I love my Trek 800 and I'd never trade it for anything

Submitted by Jacob Martin

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Strengths:    It is a very durable bike. Good frame.

Weaknesses:    Had no suspension and the gears broke after a couple runs on terrain.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great bike to own. It handles very well although I am thinking about getting suspension and adding some new gears. Also thinking about putting on some disk breaks.

Submitted by Ted Starkey

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Bias alert. I'm attached to this 1995 acquisition. Have put thousands of mile on it, off road and on. Swap out rough treads for smooth and do the MS 150 out of Cranberry PA. Reliable shifters. All shifters need adjustment from now and then, though. Old green is reliable. Same crankset, Same cogset. Upgraded to RockShox Judy forks. After market handlebars with a slight rise. It's built to my specs but the frame and drive train just keep on going.

Weaknesses:    Weight. But weight translates to strength in this frame. I am upgrading the original Shimano shifters because after sixteen years they are stress cracking.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Gonna pass this one on to a grandson.

Submitted by apd a Weekend Warrior from Elizabethtown, PA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2012

Strengths:    Frame strength, durability

Weaknesses:    heavy, quality of wheels

Bottom Line:
This bike is at least fifteen years old. It suffered a lot of neglect but is still rideable. It makes for a great rebuild, especially into single speed with semi-horizontal drop outs. The back wheel can no longer effectively be trued, but with proper maintenance this bike might have still had another 20+ years of life left in it.

Similar Products Used:   1996 schwinn frontier

Bike Setup:   single speed with 2:1 gear ratio

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Birdsboro, Pa.,United States

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    This 1998 Trek 800 is a strong, easily modified cho-moly frame. When purchase used, and in original condition they'll be without suspension, and usually very inexpensively. This fact is a treasure by itself because of it's potentual in the relm of rebuild.

Weaknesses:    Weight, a Trek 800 is cho-moly after all. but it's still a light-weighter compared to department store bikes.

Bottom Line:
I've riden Trek 800's in their original condition they are great bikes. and of course I love building as well as riding, so the 1998 Trek 800 is the best of both worlds. It's ablities as it was built and it's posiblities for low buck modifications, and upgrades, make the 1998 Trek 800 a great bike for just about every kind of rider at evry kind of budget, The 800 that I just descibed was complete for about $500 bucks, remember though I did all the labor myself

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh, Pa

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse, Trek820

Bike Setup:   When I purchased this Trek 800 it had no setup, I bought it in 2002 from a farmer who was using the frame as a stepping stone in a mud field, it took three months to drain the mud out and unbend the frame, I then added a Trek System One handle bar an Avenir theadless headset, A Rock Shox Dart 3 suspension fork, an Altus front & Alivio rear Derails by Shumano and the shifters are both Shumano Acera I converted the Trek 800 from it's original 21 speed to 24. the rear Shumano 8 speed cassette is coupled to a Shumano Parrelex Hub & built onto Mavic X101 Aluminum Wheels with a B-1 hub in front, Finally , Bontrager XR4 tire up front and a LT3 tire on the back, Bontragger Brama Bars, and Avenir Gel Saddle

Submitted by jonathan a Cross Country Rider from iowa city, iowa, usa

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2009

Strengths:    its a fast sturdy bike perfect for a guy with a heavy 230 frame like myself.

Weaknesses:    nothing lasts forever as this one, the gears will probably go first and as always rims will bend if you dont keep watching over the spokes at all times (tru the spokes thoroughly every so often)

Bottom Line:
I was walking along in iowa city today after having a free meal at the salvation army, on the way to that meal I found a $20 bill!, afterwards like I said, I was walking along and in the back of Geoff's cyclery were these bikes just sitting out, so I inquired about them and they said as far as we know they are just up for grabs!?!?, this bike is as new, absolutely new!, everything is brand new condition and it will give me years of transportation as the case is that I never have a car! Thank You Lord!, I really mean that, always give thanks to the Lord, he was thinking of me as I was thinking of him.

Favorite Trail:   riverside drive

Purchased At:   geoff's cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I just bought a trek bike less than two years ago and took it down to florida and did that tour, wound up pawning that for 25 bucks when it was 250 brand new, it was a good road bike with those larger wheels, I mean they were thin road bike tires but larger all together than normal wheels by a slight margin.

Bike Setup:   its got standard shimano brakes and a shimano altus derailer, which is good enough.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Thomasville Ga USA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Strengths:    Tough as freaking nails , Fairly light for a 1996 model metal frame. Can get some pretty impressive speed on road. Low gear low enough to crawl through a shallow creek in 3 feet deep water.

Weaknesses:    somewhat outdated by todays standards. Rough ride due to being a hard tail

Bottom Line:
Had many great memories with this bike. Great commuter bike thats tough enough to go Off-Road. Used to play around a local creek with this bike. Had it completely submerged and still was having no trouble crawling through the creek. nice gear ratio range, low enough for crazy stuff like i described, Yet high enough to really haul on the pavement. Great bike for those who are tired of Huffy and Murray bikes either being heavy( Stalker, Sledgehammer) or unreliable( MT. Storm, MT. Climber, White Heat). For racing, get a full suspension bike instead.

Purchased At:   Champion Bikes of Orange Park

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana , My Heavily Modified Autobike

Bike Setup:   Added spring seat, upgraded Derailer from a junked 950, fatter tires, Heavier duty brake shoes.

Submitted by J B a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2007

Strengths:    This thing has heald up to some abuse

Weaknesses:    Gear shifting problems and some parts issues but after 10+ years its still rideable. Always was a little heavy - but then again so am I.

Bottom Line:
10 years ago I bought this bike to get me back and forth to classes at college. We did some serious urban riding and lots of tough trails on the weekends. It heald up fine even after having to leave it locked up outside for an entire winter. I wish I would have taken better care of it because now the wear and tear is evident but it still does the trick. Considering buying a new bike but just might try to refurbish this one before giving up. Ill keep ya posted

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Purchased At:   ??

Similar Products Used:   schwinn - other treks - cannondale - mongoose

Bike Setup:   np

Submitted by 1337 a Cross Country Rider from illinois

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Indestructible! I picked up this '89 800 and I love it. This thing has no shocks and takes a jarring over a lot of broken pavement and concrete, and the frame is completely solid. I really like the riding position--it's hunched over and aerodynamic like a road bike

Weaknesses:    Front derailer; it doesn't have a big enough range to go among all three front gears, so it rubs against the chain in the lowest and highest front gears. It is also incredibly jarring over bumps, but I spend about half my time standing up, so it doesn't bother me much. The tires are also knobby and handle terribly on gravel and pavement. I'm going to upgrade them

Bottom Line:
The frame is great (if heavy), and I bet it'll last 20 years. It is a bit heavy, however. I always ride in top gear (48/14), and I'm always drenched in sweat. The extra few pounds just make it a bit more challenging. I've gotten loads of compliments on it, as it's quite handsome, and I'd definitely recommend one.

Favorite Trail:   fox river trail

Purchased At:   garage sale

Similar Products Used:   I also have an '05 Trek 7200, and I prefer the 800. The main reason is that I do a lot of standing up pedaling, during which the 7200's suspension bounces like a pogo stick.

Bike Setup:   22" frame, BIOPACE front gears. The biopace gears came with it, and I've decided I don't particularly like them. Since the front derailer is awful, I am going to make it into a single-speed.

Submitted by Betty Angleton-Halsey from Az

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    Can carry a ton and still handles great.

Weaknesses:    Needs more color

Bottom Line:
This bike has been my car since I bought her in '98. She stands up to any weather and has survived several minor crashes with barely a scratch. A great bike for anyone. The only work she needs now is a new BB and a paint job, which will be done next month. I wish they still made these, I would love to get another.

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   Tucson Bikes

Bike Setup:   Rear rack, front basket, bar ends, Stomp pedals, slick tires. All else is stock.

Submitted by mike from meridan

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Its a slow heavy bike that cant even handel a trail let alone a moutain. I have recently purchesed a Haro F3 for $300 and i think this BMX is a lot better.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy a trek 800

Submitted by Devin Anders a Cross Country Rider from Houston TX

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Strengths:    The body and tires.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
I ride all the time and do work on bikes. I allso ride pedi-cabs, this bike lasted 3 years and the only thing that broke after all that time was the bottom bracket. I'd say this is the best bike I have ever seen. I have even wrecked it ( several times) and it was not dameged even if I was.

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by james alvarez a Cross Country Rider from spain

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2005

Strengths:    WITH A 40 QUID TOOL SET HAD THIS BIKE STRIPED TO THE FRAME IN NO TIME. Another 60 quid for a travel bag if need to take it anywhere with you.

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR, HAVE RIDDEN ONLY ON ROADS INCLUDING HEAVY RAIN AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.

Bottom Line:
IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BIKES THIS IS A NICE AND RELIABLE.

Purchased At:   united kindom

Bike Setup:   UPGRADE THE V-BRAKE PADS WITH HOLDER SINCE THERE MORE POWERFULL AND IM 100 KILOS.

Submitted by John Truitt a Weekend Warrior from Lake Forest, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Strengths:    PRICE. VALUE. THE TREK QUALITY. THE ONLY THING BETWEEN YOU AND THE BIKE IS HOW HARD YOU PUSH IT!

Weaknesses:    STOCK SEAT SUCKS....STOCK TIRES NEED TO MACH BIKES PERFORMANCE, JUST UPGRADE SEAT AND TIRES AND YOU HAVE GREAT BIKE!

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE. I WAS LOOKING FOR AN UPRIGHT SEATED POSITION BUT WANTED TO HAVE THE FLEX. TO GO OFF ROAD. A HYBRID BIKE HAS ALL YOUR WEIGHT ON YOUR BUTT, THIS BIKE EVENS OUT THE LOAD AND ALLOWS FOR BETTER CONTROL. REMEMBER SEAT OR FORK SPRINGS IN MOST BIKES ARE MINIMAL AT THIS PRICE. GET A GOOD SEAT WITH PLENTY OF SPRINGS AND YOU ARE AT THE SAME PLACE! ADD ON SOME "COMFORT" TIRES AND YOU HAVE A BIKE AS COMFORTABLE AS A HYBRID WITH OUT THE HIGH PRICE TAG...A VERSITLE BIKE WITH RO0M TO GO FROM BIKE PATH TO OFF ROAD! I DARE YOU TO FIND A BETTER VALUE!

Favorite Trail:   bike path