Trek 6500 2002 Hardtail

4.34/5 (47 Reviews)

Submitted by Foxtower a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, MB

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, very light aluminum (rust free) frame frame.
Hydraulic brakes don't freeze in the winter.
Dependable and durable and -- except for some low-grade components -- excellent quality.

Weaknesses:    The base-level Deore components are high maintenance and are out of place on this otherwise durable, high-quality product. The low-end Deore front derailleur and rear hub are the only parts that have failed on this intermediate-level bike. I have switched them out for XT wherever possible.
Terribly uncomfortable seat!

Bottom Line:
Great value for money.
A quality workhorse for weekend warriors and those who need a dependable commuter.
For the price, I would have liked XT components across the board.
Once the components have been upgraded, this bike has been a solid responsive performer in all kinds of conditions. This bike is my daily driver in a city of climatic extremes. It gets as hot as +40C (104F) to -40C (-40F).
I would recommend this bike to anyone, except the high-end racing. For entry-level racers, you have to up grade the components.
C.

Favorite Trail:   Canadian Shield, Northeastern Ontario

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Sk

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Paid extra for the SLR (Super Light Racing) frame and the hydraulic disc brakes.
XT dual shifters
Saint 180mm crankset
Crank Brothers egg-beater pedals
Hybrid tires for summer street and light trail commuting.
Nokian Extreme 294 studded rubber for the winter.

Submitted by Anthony a Weekend Warrior from Islip, NY

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Strengths:    Price, paint scheme, Disk ready hubs,

Weaknesses:    Seat broke on first hard ride. The lower water bottle screw "spun" and I cannot get it off or tighten it fully.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for less then half price. I wanted something to ride for exercise and found this bike wants to rock. I have plans to further upgrade some things like seat posts and maybe

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   Byron Lake

Similar Products Used:   Giant, specialized other bikes in the price range I will pay

Bike Setup:   Added WTB Rocket V, Avid BB5, Carbon fiber Bar Ends...along with some goodies.

Submitted by Carl Vella a Cross Country Rider from Mississauga, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    Durable (not one major repair in 7yrs, light (only 26.5 lbs, tossible, great shifting, decent braking.

Weaknesses:    Pedals like most bikes in this price range.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this bike in 2001 and its been 7 years and the only thing I've had to repair is the chain. This bike is extremely durable, very light (26.5 lbs)which makes it great for climbing. The frame quality is very high, welds are clean and strong, one of the few frames Made in USA. I'd definetly have no regrets and I am happy with my purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   TruVativ pedals, Panaracer rear tire

Submitted by evosteve a Weekend Warrior from OP, KS USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Strengths:    Good price, strong and light. Can handle about anything I dish out. Very cool orange/black paint job for 2006.

Weaknesses:    Seat. If you get this bike, change out the seat right away

Bottom Line:
Good all around bike. I'm a recreational weekend rider but put this bike through a lot. I have yet to break any of the stock components on it. For the money paid, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Purchased At:   Bike America Olathe KS

Similar Products Used:   KHS, Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Charles a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2006

Strengths:    Frame build quality and rigidity, good component package for the price, great paint job.

Weaknesses:    Stock Bontrager seat is brutal. Bottom bracket didn't last long.

Bottom Line:
Good value for the price, especially the rock solid frame.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb Trail

Purchased At:   Ebay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930, Cannondale M600

Bike Setup:   Stock except pedals and seat.

Submitted by Ben Pignatelli a Downhiller from Stateline, NV USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2006

Strengths:    Great front suspension bike. Tough as nails. Will take you anywhere if you're up to the challenge.
Bontrager design.

Weaknesses:    a hardtail

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a XC bike that can do anything, this is it. This bike took me from a beginer at Arcata's Community Forest to a downhiller on all of South Tahoe's offerings.

Never had a problem with the frame, even with the wicked abuse I offered.
The bike is great for a lightweight cross-country, and offered me one last summer on hardcore downhills.

Favorite Trail:   toader

Purchased At:   used from a Sun Valley, ID rental shop

Submitted by Smallz from Westford MA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    It kicks ass up hill it is a very tough bike good its also it very responsive. The Bontrager tires grip good Its very fast. It was partucaly runover by a S10 pickup ended up bending the rim. But i got a new rim and the buke was good as new. The bike blowes through mud its hard to get it stuck. Its got excelent disc Hayes brakes they stop on a dime I put 911 Miles on it i after owning it for 8 months now im rebuild in it after wareing out the parts on it.

Weaknesses:    The tires hold up terrible one of the has a small slice on the side wall. The tread wares down quickly on them.
The paint holds up horabaly (scratches easily). The Shimono IG chain is crapy it snapped 3 times. I recomend you switch the chain when its new to a sram-p68 chain or do what i did and ware out the componets on it and in the winter rebuild it.

Bottom Line:
This is a sturdy good bike can handle almost anything that comes its way its good for medium level mountain bikers.
Its a good bike for the buck.

Purchased At:   Wheelworks Belmont MA

Bike Setup:   Removeable dropout, Hayes disc brakes, Thumb shifters, good cranks,stem,bars.

Submitted by Mike Madsen a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Great, strong bike that can handle alot of crap from any rider.

Weaknesses:    Needs "Stomp" Pedals and a new fork for a better ride.

Bottom Line:
ITs a hardcore bike that will handle things from drops, to rock climbing, to racing full on out down a hill. I suggest this bike to someone who is just starting out or is a amature. It can take falling or even if you get a flat you can keep riding on it for a mile or so and it wont even be hurt. You should totally get this if you want a great HardTail.

Favorite Trail:   NorthStar MTB

Purchased At:   FleaMarket (Most likely stolen)

Similar Products Used:   Swhinn Moab 2

Bike Setup:   XC, Drops, Race

Submitted by Jimmie Wood a Weekend Warrior from Fayetteville NC 28303

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    Great Bike, love the weight, and price point.

Weaknesses:    Seat is horrible. Please go buy a new Seat@!!!! its an A$$$ killer. The front shock needs to be replaced if your over 200lbs.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, im going to invest in some upgrades in a few months, new pedels, shocks, etc..

Favorite Trail:   Uharrie

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   first bike

Submitted by Sjor Van Laar a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Strengths:    Good geometry, light frame, nice paintjob.

Weaknesses:    Trek sponsors that guy George W. B. (But then again, also Lance.)

Bottom Line:
This trek 6500 SLR frame is good value. It´s light, looks good and is affordable. After a few upgrades you can really have a pro bike with this one.

Favorite Trail:   Spaarnwoude enzo

Purchased At:   Some guy in New Jersey

Similar Products Used:   ´1999 Specialized Hardrock A1, Cannondale F400, 1996 Gary Fischer Paragon.

Bike Setup:   I bought the frame from some trial riding guy in NJ, and added parts to it that i already had. Fork is a 2002 Sid race titanium. Drivetrain and brakes are a mix between Sram 9.0 and Deore LX. Wheels are Mavic 221´s with XT hubs. Tires are Hurchinson mosquito gold´s.

Submitted by Ryan Hunt a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Lightness, Frame Strength, derailleurs

Weaknesses:    cranks, shocks(too hard i have the 04 version of the 6500 and that comes with pilot c's) rims are weak

Bottom Line:
Great bike just watch out for the cranks mine mangled themselves but trek replace them. am getting better xc forks and hydraulic discs

Favorite Trail:   Kohitere Forest

Purchased At:   southend cycles

Similar Products Used:   fuji(piece of s**t)

Bike Setup:   the same shorter stem and new crank

Submitted by Danny a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, UK.

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Nice Colour. Fantastic Light Frame. Good value for Money when purchased.

Weaknesses:    Seat took a bit of getting used to. Brakes seem to be getting worse with time. Front shifter dosen't like being crashed.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic, fun bike. Loves to be ridden off road. After getting some real comfy shorts I can now sit on the seat without worrying if i'll ever have kids. Brakes are a little weak, and look crap. Will replace soon, but will stick with V's, probably LX. Front shifter also seems a bit tempremental after a crash or two. Suppose the most obvious fix for that would be not to crash.....

End of day, love the bike because it loves to be ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Cwmcarn

Purchased At:   A Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   My last mountain bike, can't remeber name.

Bike Setup:   Standard except for shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Council Bluffs, IA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Pretty light bike. It sure does take a beating but then again I weigh only 140. It was a great value bike for when I bought it.

Weaknesses:    Other than crappy brakes it hasn't really been in the shop.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for less serious trails. I found myself needing and wanting a better one as my skills and riding frequncy improved.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis and Clark

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 4

Bike Setup:   Stock except Shimano Deore brakes and levers. Shimano 515 clipless.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Whitewater, Wi USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Strengths:    Love the Frame, and the handle bars, tires aren't bad. And super Light. Also is great looking, I also don't mind the seat that much.

Weaknesses:    My derailer needs to be adjusted alot, from what I see the front shocks are a little soft but for my weight of 130, they work really good.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the price, bontrager stuff is all good, I bend the wheel about once every two weeks, but ehh, looks and rides good

Purchased At:   From some that works at Trek