Specialized Hardrock A1 2002 Hardtail

4.4/5 (151 Reviews)

Submitted by Darren

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2014

Strengths:    For the money, it's a decent mtb. I've used it for moderate off-road, hard-pack, and road, probably over 5,000 miles now (1 1/2 year running). It took some time getting used to, but it goes where you want it, provided you understand this is not a $2,000 bicycle. For the most part, shifting is okay and the mtb is easy to handle.

Weaknesses:    Again, for the money, it's a decently good mtb. It's not meant for serious off-road work. The tires slide easily on turns. The derailleurs are basically entry level, and shifting occurs with concentration on what you're doing (or you'll jam it), until you have the feel. The forks are okay, but early on, you can feel the lack of smoothness and they're not designed to take strong impacts.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bicycle because wanted something better than what I had, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so you get what you get. I wanted something I could use on moderate off-roads, hard pan, and road, and this has served my purposes. As much as I ride it on the road, some might think I should get a road bike, but I don't like the road bike positioning and thin tires, and I'm not trying to break any speed records. Still, on the road, I've maintained 16 mph when exercising, and on off-roads, get around obstacles decently. The one I bought was a couple years back, it was $560, and serves its purpose.

Submitted by nate doggg a Cross Country Rider from coventry

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    frame wheels the lot .

Weaknesses:    none found apart from weak chain due to age.

Bottom Line:
bottom line is i just got this bike becuse i had my last one stolen. i had the same bike but with out the front sus. witch was my best bike i ever got even cyceld to wales from coventry and had no problems with it. so when i herd this hard rock for sale at a very very cheap price .i thort i carnt go rong even if it needs some new parts. WELL SOD ME SIDE WAYS. i got the bike two days ago and man its the best 50 pounds iv ever spent. it gos like a dream. iv give it a good going over and just like specialized bikes . theres nothing rong with it apart from some mean scraches on the frame. but ha. the bike is just a dream i guess you get the pic buy now. if you get the chace to buy one get it. you wont be disapointed trust me. iv had some bikes in my time and this baby is one of the best iv had yet. happy cyceling guys and girls . nate dogg

Favorite Trail:   kennelworth

Purchased At:   70

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock hard tail

Bike Setup:   frand

Submitted by Mark O a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI, U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome frame. I had no idea what I purchased until I came across this web site. I was shocked when I found out that this bike is worth ten times what I paid at Goodwill!

Weaknesses:    None found so far.

Bottom Line:
Best mountain bike I ever rode. Comfortable ride, especially if you're tall(6'0" to 6'4" range). You get the feel of a city bike with the capabilities of a well made mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Aiea Heights

Purchased At:   Goodwill (Second han

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose mountain/city bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mtbrmike a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    The frame is strong and light weight and most of the components are top quality. Tires are great XC and sloppy trail tires. Rockshoc fork (JUDY TT)can handle anything you can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    Found brakes were okay for most riding but will need to be upgraded for any hard trail riding. Stem has to high of a pitch (rise) for down hill trail rides, would switch to a 0 degree stem.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a great bike for the weekend person to hit the trails with and you don't need to do anything to the bike to have a great ride. If you are looking for a true comp bike that can handle the hardest of rocky teeth busting trails this is the bike for you, if you don't mind making a few upgrades. This bike has a great frame and fork that can easily be upgraded in just a day. I would buy this bike again!

Favorite Trail:   wabash

Purchased At:   bikeworld DesMoines

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper comp.

Bike Setup:   0 degree Kore stem, Raceface XCL threadless headset, Avid BB7 disc brakes (160 mm)with full metal jacket brake cables from Avid, Shimano Deore disc wheelset with Sun Rhyno lite rims (26 inch), and wilderness trails comfort zone saddle

Submitted by Mason Frazier a Weekend Warrior from sacramoento ca usa

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
super dooper bike

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by sean a Cross Country Rider from lydney

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    good brakes and gears

Weaknesses:    bit heavy but good for the money

Bottom Line:
good bike for the price but pay more for the fsr and the full suspension. good for a new biker like myself. dont try and do tricks though as it a bit weak as i found out. and expensive to repair.

Favorite Trail:   fodca in forest of dean

Purchased At:   noahs ark

Bike Setup:   stock but may get a new handlebar soon

Submitted by mr ben a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh, PA USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    frame is the best ive ever ridden. the giant tires make anything easy. i've read a lot of ppl dont like the fork. they are dumb. its adjustible for a reason. i make mine hard on roads/hills and squishy on trails. i love it

Weaknesses:    after my first rough rides my bb started to pop. ??? it still rides fine. but the ugly.. the grips wouldnt hold wet mud, much less my sweaty hands. the front derailler craked after my first bad fall. the seat is a pain! my feet slip off the pedals a lot too.

Bottom Line:
buy this bike if you want a deal. i dont think i'll ever spend my hard earned bucks on anything but Specialized. i am very fond of hardtails, and i think this is the best for your money. but you will need gloves

Purchased At:   Gatto

Similar Products Used:   areoplane

Bike Setup:   new seat and front derailler, other wise just ride it!

Submitted by rich from usa

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    bulet proof OW YA I USE IT FOR DURT JUMPING PERFICKT FOR 360 AND BACK FLIPS. when i bout this bike it was cus i liked the geometry of it and i was going to wheld gustes in but never had to

Weaknesses:    the componints

Bottom Line:
this bike is a freking tank but yet it is light go figer ride on ye haw and i nead 7 flaming chilis

Purchased At:   bike zone

Similar Products Used:   chase p1 p3 norco .243racing

Bike Setup:   hared rock with chris king pike xt drive trane sun ringal singal trackts azonk bars

Submitted by Mike Dold a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    A beautiful headtube-butted Aluminum frame. Cool looking oversize tubes and fat seatpost. Nice Tig welded joints and
a replaceable derailleur hanger. I think it's a good keeper, and will really improve with normal upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Seems just a little heavy for what it is, but not too bad. It could probably stand a little judicious component selection for lighter weight as upgrades are added.

Bottom Line:
I own several bikes, all very respectable rides. However the Specialized is the one that I will always grab for a ride. I've had this bike for years now, and it still performs beautifully. I really like the longish top tube, and the overall geometry seems to work out well for me. No complaints at all, Might as well save your Stumpjumper
money and just buy one of these.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere-Just ride

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S10, GT RTS2, Gary Fisher Hookookekoo, Cannondale M400

Bike Setup:   I upgraded my elastomer fork with a Judy SL, Avid Brakes and levers, and various sets of tires. The rest of the bike is still stock, because it works well. Mostly Shimano STX
Also added some upper end riser bars, stem and headset.

Submitted by J C a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    Beautiful bike, read great reviews in here and other places about the frame etc.

Weaknesses:    Don't know much about mountain bikes so I can't really comment here.

Bottom Line:
I'm fairly new to the whole mountain bike thing. In the past I was pretty ignorant about where to purchase a bike. I'd always go to the big box retailer, lured by their cheap prices. Well after my bad experience with a Royce Union (which was crap from day one) that I purchased at Sports Authority, I decided to do a little more research this time around. I started shopping at my local bike shop as recommended by many on the internet. I will never ever buy a bike again from a big box retailer! I found this bike on clearance at $215.00. I was first considering a comfort bike, but I'm very glad that I chose to go with this bike after reading great reviews.

I'm mainly going to use this bike for weekend rides and some commuting around the city. If you are primarily going to ride it on paved surfaces, then swap out the stock tires for some slicks. The ride is awesome! I can't really comment on the components as I don't know what "good" shifting or suspension is supposed to feel like. But so far for a novice like me, its a huge diffence from the bikes I've owned in the past. If you can find this bike at a LBS at a good price like I did, go for it!

Purchased At:   Village Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Royce Union POS from Sports Authority and some no name Wal-Mart crap.

Bike Setup:   Stock, swapped out the stock saddle for a Trek CRZ+. Also swapped out the tires for some Nimbus EX road tires.

Submitted by Annie a Weekend Warrior from Galashiels, Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2005

Strengths:    Tough frame
Reasonably good components
Price
Looks and colour (red)
Position a little too upright

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily
Bottom bracket
Uncomfortable seat
Gearchanges aren't as smooth as I'd like

Bottom Line:
This is a tough bike for allround use. I used it for two years three times a week on roads, doing between 40 and 60 miles a week, and the only problem I had with it was a less than satisfactory gear change, which despite adjustments has never totally cleared up. I've just started using it on mountain bike trails, and it handles all the berms, bumps and small drop-offs admirably well. The bottom bracket was shot after a couple of times out there, but after being used for two years on the road that's not a problem; I've upgraded the bottom bracket and hopefully that'll last me a while. The standard tyres are fine for dry dirt tracks, but on gloopy mud you'd need a more hardcore tread, and I prefer my semi-slicks for easier rolling on road in summer.

All in all, a very good bike for the price, which can do most things you ask of it; I'm sure I'll eventually be tempted to buy a full-suspension bike for offroading, but for now it makes more sense to upgrade the components on this Hardrock as and when needed.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress Forest

Purchased At:   Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op

Similar Products Used:   None (unless you count my old Raleigh steel-framed rigid bike); it came tops in an MBR magazine review for hardtails of a similar price, so bought it on the strength of that

Bike Setup:   Standard setup except changed saddle for Specialized Body Geometry Womens (not that comfy, but good for xc where you sometimes have to get right off the back of the saddle) and a wider, more comfy Selle Italia Zero women's saddle for road work, and Specialized Hemisphere Ex tyres for road work; however, I have also ordered a Truvativ Hussefelt stem (much shorter), an upgraded bottom bracket, and S-Works grips, which hopefully should be with me this week

Submitted by Muff Hugger a Weekend Warrior from Soo'er

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2004

Strengths:    Great entry level bike. Super strong aluminum frame suprisingly light. disk brake tabs were a nice touch for future upgrades.

Weaknesses:    The parts spec'ed on bike needed to be upgraded quickly. I Immediately upgraded the fork to a marzocchi bomber fork (EXR Comp). Alex rims were the next to go (RhynoLites). crank and bottom bracket were the next. I bought a hussefelt w/a splined bottom bracket and had to upgrade the BB before I could install the new crankset.

Bottom Line:
With all the upgrading I did on this bike I realized that I should have bought a better bike from the start, and so I sold this bike and went bigger.
This is a perfect bike for people who want to have a good bike for cruising around town, hitting the odd trail and staying on the ground. If you love Red Bull, drop in, and look to the sky for a place to ride... steer clear of a Specialized Hard Rock...

Favorite Trail:   downtown soo'er

Purchased At:   The Duke

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Scratch, specialized P street, p2, Norco 125, 250,

Bike Setup:   Specialized set up this bike for flying around town and light trails. My upgrades turned it into an aggressive cross country bike that could handle some urban and trials riding.

Submitted by Sam rainey a Weekend Warrior from columbia, Mo

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2004

Strengths:    the whole bike has potential to be an awesome bike with a few upgrades. i like the frame a lot. this is a great first mountain bike for someone like me who is on a tight budget.

Weaknesses:    hated the front fork which seedmed to do nothing at all so i bought a manitou Black with 100\120mm. two bolts fell out of the crank and messed up the chainring twice so my shop bought me a new crank set from shimano wich is a lot better.

Bottom Line:
i will probably keep this bike for a long time because i love it and i can keep putting new stuff on it to make it better

Purchased At:   cyclextreme

Bike Setup:   Manitou black comp 100\120, continental tires, new shimano crankset

Submitted by walter vergara a Downhiller from m-town, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    the frame was modeled after a tank. disc ready frame is great. the shocks are better than expected.

Weaknesses:    the frame seems indestructable, but with it also comes alot of weight....too heavy. the wimpy trek 4100 is much lighter. the stock brakes suck and so do the alex rims, they are way too heavy. the bike is just plain heavy for the "top of the line" hardrock.

Bottom Line:
sharp looking frame. the frame can take alot of abuse. great for downhill......not good for climbing, way too heavy (as already stated). the best bike to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   grant ranch

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   cannondale f500, trek 4100

Bike Setup:   judy tt rock shox, front and rear avid mech brakes, mavic crosslands wrapped with continentals.

Submitted by Charles Brown a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent entry level bike for a newbie or someone just getting started in MTB. Of course, it's great for the casual biker too, in my opinion. Love the frame, looks sleek, yet strong, durable, and light. Just read reviews on other bikes and you'll see the horror stories about cracked frames and other weaknesses. So you can't go wrong with Specialized frames.

Weaknesses:    No complaints here. Shifting can be a little delayed, but probably b/c I haven't lubed it in a while.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. It's a little misleading and disconcerting when reading some of the previous reviews on this bike. People complaining about certain parts is a little unjustified. I'm not trying to exaggerate, but if I bought a car like a Honda Civic, could I complain and say it doesn't accelerate like any of the Acura's...or if I got some dinky Toyota Tercel, could I say it's not this or that like a Camry or Lexus? Hardrocks have a retail around $300 - $350. So you're not going to get components like Shimano XTR, Dura-ace, SRAM 9.0, Truvativ cranks, or Fox or Marzocchi forks. So when you read those reviews from people saying the bike doesn't shift well, suspension this, crank that, brakes yada... those reviews possibly are from delusional individuals who think they can get the performance of a +$1500 bike for under $350. So bottom line, if you're new or just want a decent quality bike who isn't going to be sponsored by a major company in a race anytime soon, then go with any of the latest Specialized Hardrocks. If you find biking to be fun and enjoyable, then invest as need be and accordingly to your budget. If you got money to burn or have high expectations, then shell out the dimes and start looking at the S-Works, Epic, Stumpjumper, and FSR models.

Purchased At:   Used - local classified ad

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, Giant, etc.