Scott Team 2002 Hardtail

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 10.60kg

frame » Scott Superlight 7005 Alloy Custom Butted Scott D/out for Disc
fork » Rock-Shox Duke XC Hydra Air 80 mm/Rebound Adj.
rear der » Shimano XTR 27 speed
rims » Mavic X-221 32H Black Anodized
tires » Continental Explorer 26 x 2.1 Kevlar

Submitted by Krispin Klander a Weekend Warrior from Zaragoza

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, weight, nimble thanks to the short wheelbase

Weaknesses:    Some cheap components for the price
Dealer gave me the bike not properly mounted

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a good quality product but unfortunately I experienced some bad issues with this bike due to the lack of professionality of the dealer that mounted the components on it (a guy called Fernando).
From first day I noticed an annoying creak coming out from the bottom bracket so I took a look and realized that the guy hadn't clean the little metal scratches from the brand new frame in the B/B what caused that noises.
The seatpost wasn't even greased what caused several deep scratches on my Ritchey new seatpost.
Front and rear derailleur had to be readjusted completely as well in other dealer (The Specialized distributor has become my new mechanic).
The guy seemed more interested in getting my money than in doing his job.
Due to this bad experiences I'll never buy again Scott stuff because not only is important the quality of the bike but the professionality of the mechanic as well.
I had to spend extra money in fixing up my brand new bike and that's not acceptable.
I guess my future bikes will be Giant, Cannondale or Specialized as their dealers here seem to have good reputation.

Favorite Trail:   Steep narrow tracks

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bicicletas Sprint

Similar Products Used:   TREK 8500

Submitted by Mic Machell a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Strengths:    Very light allround bike with excellent spec for the price-XTR 9 speed excellent! goes well fast up and down and everywhere else

Weaknesses:    Paint job is crummy and is stracted loads and even dented!!! Avid brakes aint up to much either-apart from that nothing

Bottom Line:
XTR n XT is great, good clean shifting that iv had no probs wiv at all, chain never come off yet n iv riden it pretty hard for my age (im only 14!) an excellent bike for anyone, just watch straching it as it does so easily! uv been warned! (thinking of buying an Orange frame for it)superlight and extremly fast (with the right rider!)An excellent bike with an excellent price

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Lesuire Lakes, Engalnd (paid £1050)

Similar Products Used:   Early Scott-crappy spec but better paint job

Bike Setup:   XTR rear 9 speed, XT front, XT shifters, Duke XC forks, Avid V-brakes, RaceFace Prodigy cranks n all

Submitted by si irving a Cross Country Rider from wellington

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    dependable name, equipment and good looks!

Weaknesses:    paint job! Scott's own brand hubs.....pants!

Bottom Line:
A fricking excellent bike, best bike i've ridden in ages! the duke forks were a bit tight when i first rode them, but after many hours of riding they loosened up lots: real plush! I've always ridden bombers Z1's in the past, this is the 1st set of air forks i've ridden....they rock!
The frame is nice and stiff, but with just a nice bit of give in the rear end! The groupset is good, shimano..you can't fault it....alround a fantastic pushiron, a good bike to upgrade to if you are thinking of getting serious!

Favorite Trail:   makara peak

Purchased At:   pennies, wellington

Similar Products Used:   zaskar, but gt has better paintjob

Bike Setup:   just for me

Submitted by Gordan Balen a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    I bought a frame and then built the rest of the bike. My bike is quite different than the regular one. I did component specification with lot of care and made some adjustments to suit my personal taste. Anyway, it's a light and compact bike and it feels very nimble on the single track. It climbes very well and although it is not very long frame, it feels secure on the descents. The frame itself costed around 150 USD (a bargain) so that enabled me to select quality components and still stay within the budget.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses are mostly connected to some components I selected by myself: saddle Salla San Marco Fusion - I'll already replaced it. Shimano XT disc brakes - to be frank, they are not what magazines say about them. They are not that bad, but I expected much more.

Bottom Line:
I am riding it less then a month so I am still gettin used to it. I like it because I feel very 'integrated' with it and it inspires my confidence.
I am sure that with a few ninor adjustments, I'll won't think about another bike for longer period of time.
It is really light and very quick bike and it didn't cost too much, after all.

Favorite Trail:   Medvednica, Leustekova staza

Purchased At:   Turbo centar, Zagreb

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bear Valley, Scott Expert Racing, Felt FS 950, Kona Staff

Bike Setup:   Marzzocchi MXC ECC forks, Mavic 219D/ Sh XT hubs, Ritchey Alfa/Omegabite tyres, Sh XT disc brakes, Sh XT Chainset, Sh XTR/XT Derailleurs, Roox bars, Ritchey WCS bar ends, Ritchey comp 90 mm stem, Ritchey Comp seat tube, Sh 515 clipless pedals

Submitted by Eugene a Weekend Warrior from Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight like feather, easy to ride, easy to switch gears, great brakes - fantastic!

Weaknesses:    Race Face Prodigy chainrigns are not absolutely straight and "float" a bit while turning: it forced me to set bigger vertical clearance in the front deraileur than presumed.

Bottom Line:
I am beginner in MTB - rode old Soviet "Sputnik" touring since 1980, so for me such bike is like space ship after the river boat. And I see already that it is worthy dollars paid. Hope to visit Crimea Mountains on it soon! However it also flies on our Ukrainian "highways" much better than many road cycles.
I can recommend it to anybody fond of biking (mounting or not) and ready to spend 1.5k USD for his own joy. (Pay attention to the chainrings.)
Please do not buy it if you think that XT/XTR equipment is unnecessary for your riding style.

Favorite Trail:   still searching for one

Purchased At:   Bike-Pro Sport (Kiev)

Similar Products Used:   Giant Terrago stock (not quite similar, just MTB also :-)

Bike Setup:   stock except for tires (Michelin City) and pedals (Union K-70) + Sigma Sport BC-1400 computer + CatEye head/rear lamps

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Weekend Warrior from Vienna

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great Superlite frame. Shiman XTR components and an absolute knock out cosmetic look (that's true through the entire Scott line). This would have been a top of the line Rolls Royce for me (the Pro as well with caviar included).

Weaknesses:    Did not notice any at all. For my personal preferences and style of riding, I would most likely have switched out the pedals to a double sided option. That's not a weakness, just a personal preference and probably suggests why a top end racing bike was not my end choice.

Bottom Line:
I did not buy this bike, but I am here to offer a review based on my three tests of the product because I felt it was such a worthy bike of mention. The price was about $300 - $400 more than I had budgeted to spend and a lot of that has to do with my living in Europe where a 20% VAT is slapped on to the product. For more reasons as to why I chose the Trek 8000, see my review under that bike's name here at MTB.

Regardless, this bike was probably my "favorite" from the series of bikes I tested. Light as feather. Beautiful cosmetic finish. Top end components and it rides like a dream. It was probably just a little more bike than I needed. In the end, the price knocked me back down to looking at and comparing the Scott Comp and Expert with the Trek 8000 and Trek 6700 (I chose the Trek 8000 to buy).

This bike should really be compared to the Trek 8500 and I give the nod to the Scott because the price is a better "value" than the Trek 8500 (hence the 5 chilis for value rating). These are all great bikes and I felt so strongly about the excellent quality of the Scott Team product as well as my absolute delight in being able to test it to post this review. My understanding is that these products are more available here in Europe than in the states, but if any Europeans are going through the testing process - don't leave this bike out of your list to evaluate. It is an important product worthy of consideration.

Favorite Trail:   Vienna Woods

Purchased At:   Hervis Sports

Similar Products Used:   In Hardtails: Gary Fisher Big Sur, Trek 8500, Trek 8000, Trek 6700, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper, Scott Expert, Scott Comp, Scott Pro, Scott Tacana and Scott Boulder.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup at the retail level.