Scott Expert 2002 Hardtail

rims » Alesa Zac 19 32H N/Eyelet Black
tires » IRC Notos XC 26 x 2.1 yellow stripe

Submitted by wondering bear a Cross Country Rider from wiltshire

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    so crisp and tight, cant fault the frame

Weaknesses:    still has all tha original comps

Bottom Line:
i love it going to treat her to some upgrades

Favorite Trail:   the ridgeway

Purchased At:   swaped for landie ge

Similar Products Used:   for what it cost new, i cant come up with anything

Bike Setup:   ive tweaked it abit but i got on with it right away

Submitted by Tim McCormick a Cross Country Rider from Winchester

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic Frame, Great upgrade potential, Weight, Price and looks. Its a great bike if you can find one second hand!

Weaknesses:    The Judy TT's. What were they thinking? Wheels not quite as strong as I'd like, just have to be more fluid on landings. Spend some extra cash and get some decent shocks! Saddle and seatpost weigh too much.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! I've kept the TT's until now, they lasted this long (they're finally stuffed) Had to replace bars and stem, riding position wasn't great with standard set up. New SID rockshox, Raceface angled seat post, new saddle, XT running/braking gear and a raceface crank/bottom bracket are my next purchases. Can't wait to get it all together. The frame is definately worth keeping, it just feels nice...

Favorite Trail:   South Downs Way

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 890, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   New Easton EA70 shorter stem, Raceface low riser bars/grips, LX SPD's. 17" Frame

Submitted by Jørn Almberg a Cross Country Rider from Trondheim, Norway

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    FRAME! (and looks)

Weaknesses:    Front shock, lacks clipless pedals.

Bottom Line:
Superstrong and very stable frame, geometry suits me perfectly (19"/ size Large frame, me being 180cm/165lb) and makes me feel very safe downhill and in technically tricky sections. Reasonable mix of LX (derailleur), Deore and Scott components.

This is a very good bike for "serious xc beginners", and it can keep you company till you're rather skilled.
I ride a mixture of on- and offroad appr. 3-4 times a week, around 30-40 miles a trip, and till now I've only done minor adjustments in addition to changing tires (Conti Twister PRO) and Brake Pads (XTR)!
Upgraded with clipless pedals the Expert Racing can be as fast as many bikes that cost three times as much (and more), I can tell!
The question is if you should upgrade with a better fork or just buy a new bike if you get tired of the rather heavy and simple frontshock (Rockshox Judy TT). I'm buying a new bike with an RS SID Team with remote lockout this week, and I'm anxious to find out if I'm doing the right thing ;-) Anyway, I don't think I'll ever sell my Scott, as I hardly can imagine that this frame'll ever get tired.

Favorite Trail:   Innerdalen in Trollheimen ("The home of Trolls")

Purchased At:   Trondheim, Norway

Similar Products Used:   Miyata Elevation 2000 (from back in '94)

Bike Setup:   Upgraded with LX clipless pedals, and barends.

Submitted by peter van wyk a Cross Country Rider from stellenbosch, western cape,south africa

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    great superlight good-looking frame. climbs hills like a crazy rabbit. handles super well down high speed single tracks (bumps can get tricky-shocks).

Weaknesses:    front shocks not great (rockshox judy). gonna ride to destruction then upgrade to a set of rockshox-duke. wheel set a little on the weak side. already buckled back wheel after a 1m drop in. seat not suited to long bumpy rides-gonna change that! front handle bar a little uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
i decided on this bike because i love the frame. for the price and what you get with it, difficult to match! will definately upgrade some of the components as soon as i finish picking up the pieces on the mountains around stellenbosch...

Favorite Trail:   jonkershoek

Purchased At:   willie englebrecht cycles

Similar Products Used:   giant yukon (wouldn't call that similar)

Bike Setup:   for one thing only-fast..faster..fastest!

Submitted by Droid from Cornwall, UK

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    Fantastic frame with great looks and good geometry. Comfortable seat even for a 200 lber!!

Weaknesses:    Head set requires constant attention, RS Judy TT is pants, scott brakes are a bit limp.

Bottom Line:
The best houses are built on good foundations.This frame is a good foundation. The frame retail price is two thirds the cost of the bike so realistically the group set is irrelevant .With a decent set of shoxs on i doubt ill ever buy another bike , i cant give 5 flamin' porcupines for value as ill have to spend money upgrading shoxs etc very early on. Buy one and enjoy it.

Favorite Trail:   The star fangled nut

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Scott Tampico

Bike Setup:   LX V-brakes and levers, Brake booster (these v's do seem to need the booster) .Club Roost Riser bar .Schwalbe Black Sharks

Submitted by RICHARD OLDFIELD a Weekend Warrior from EASTBOURNE, East Sussex, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME AND SPEC. VERY SMOOTH AND QUIET RIDE. VISUALLY FANTASTIC.

Weaknesses:    FRONT FORKS NOT THE BEST. WHEELS NOT AS GOOD AS MY SCHUMANN/KENDA KINECTICS SET BUT NARROWER.

Bottom Line:
A GREAT BIKE FOR THE MONEY. WELL SPECCED AND A VERY GOOD RIDE. BUY ONE

Similar Products Used:   ALPINESTARS ASR100, SCOTT BACKWOOD, SCOTT YECORA, BARRACUDA NEMESIS 2001.

Bike Setup:   AS FACTORY BUT CONSIDERING CHANGING HUBS AND PUTING MY FORMULA B4 HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES ON.

Submitted by Olga Pochitalina a Cross Country Rider from Kiev, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Strengths:    The strength side of Expert is its light weight frame. Expert is real hardtail. Don't look that its frame is thin-walled. It's superframe. It can rigidly climb on the hills, has the fast sprint on the flatness and it flies from descents like a dragon. I think that no need to buy fullsuspension bike for cross-country, may be for marathon, but not for XC.

Weaknesses:    Expert has one minus - there are better bikes like Scott Comp, Team and Team Issue. You can buy the bike with better components for this price, but you'll never buy the bike with better frame!

Bottom Line:
If you are expert in mountainbiking - Expert is your choise, but if you are a real profi you better choose a higher model in the Scott Racing line (Comp, Team and Team Issue)

Purchased At:   www.bike-pro.kiev.ua

Similar Products Used:   SCHWINN MOAB

Bike Setup:   My plain is to change the fork on RS Duke XC. I've already changed crankset and bottom-bracket on SH LX octalink, setuped LX V-brakes and clipless pedals SCOTT Pro

Submitted by Phil Collins a Weekend Warrior from Yorkshire

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is fantastic and for the price the component set is amazing. The riding position is superb. Forget about asking the question how does it climb, because everthing goes straight to the back wheels and no matter what gradient or terrain your on you just glide with minimum effort yet maximum power.

Weaknesses:    Possibly the fork, but so far everything is going well..

Bottom Line:
Next time your thrashing down the trail with mud on your face, and grit in your teeth, have a think to yourself am I a mountain biker or an EXPERT, RACING.....??...

Purchased At:   jd's

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher, specialised, marin...not a patch

Bike Setup:   Added a riser bar.

Submitted by Marcus McCallum a Cross Country Rider from Stockholmn

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    With the light frame going up hill is no prob. The gear set is nice and allows for fast gear changes. The seat looks a bit uncomfortable but belive me it saw me through some tough riding.

Weaknesses:    Not found any yet......

Bottom Line:
The bike´s fatter than fat and does for my needs. Its a good all rounder in my view and its been taken on some of the harder tracks Sweden has to offer... WICKED. If your looking for some thing

Favorite Trail:   Nacka

Purchased At:   Cykloteket

Similar Products Used:   I had a Kona downhill bike before this one and i was a bit worried that this bike would´nt be able to do the kind of riding i´ve been doing, but it has pulled through with flying colours.

Bike Setup:   I changed the forks it came with for some Marzocchi 2002 mxc air and the bars for some downhill ritchey´s, Which made it run like a wet dream.

Submitted by Nuno Cortiço a Weekend Warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Frame quality and design, good for climbing and give confidence descendig(whit my bike setup)

Weaknesses:    standard fork (judy tt)heavy components set

Bottom Line:
the frame justify all

Bike Setup:   manitou black super air, hays hidraulic disk brakes, handlebar scott strike pro 2 inches, pedals seatposts and steam onoff, continental vertical pro in front and explorer in back

Submitted by Llewelyn a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is beautiful, really striking in the matt black. Riding position is also excellent & frame design is really good. Solid ride & I feel like I can throw the bike around on the road with little effort.

Weaknesses:    Judy TT shox, must get rid of them. I have also replaced the brakes with hydraulic brakes. The handle bar hurt my wrists on long trips & I have replaced it with a riser type bar.

Bottom Line:
Couple of things need to be changed to really get the most out of this bike. Really cool bike that will turn heads as I have experienced. Well worth it.

Similar Products Used:   Giant 840 XTC

Submitted by dennis a Cross Country Rider from slovenia

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    I like the way it rides. Comfortable but performance - race orientated. It is really fast and goes where you want it. Frame alone absorbs bumps better than my old DB cromo frame. So no sign of rush ride. Brakes are ok, with scott logo, but are tektro made. IRC tires grab like mad on dirt, mud, roots, I like them a lot. Overall mechs is ok, but I don't trust the alesa rims. The time will tell wheather they like trueing. Shimano LX and deore work just perfect. Bike is fast climber, i ride mostly on singeltracks and everything is great.

Weaknesses:    Allthough frame is very light, it comes with heavy components (first complete wheel weighs 2 kg = 4.45pounds). Oh and I forgot about RS yudy TT. Hm it looks nice, but with 2.08kg I left it in a shop and never rode it. I put on my old Manitou SX. Still better than yudy TT.
And one thig I am very worried about: frame resistance to hits, falls. The big diameter tubes are so thin, that you can squeeze it by hand and see how it flex. But that does not tell me anything about hits proofnes. Also front der. is deore, that has less spring-strenghth than my old alivio. Don't know if this is because of27 spd, or it just sucks. I wonder if LX would perform better? When I adopted differnet shifting style it is ok, again.

Bottom Line:
I finnaly found the bike geometry that I want to keep for ages. But the question is - will it last with so thin walls? I sure hope so, scott should know what they're doing. Otherwise I will go with boulder, because I really like scotts riding position. And did I mention it looks very cool? Not just the colour, you should go to the shop and see a fantastic chainstay and seatstay + bridge design. rear dropouts are innovative, as well. I ride it every day and am very happy with it.

Similar Products Used:   Tassajaras (too spread position, too long top tube), Trek 4900, 6500, Palisades trail, Iguana, Diamondback Vertec.

Bike Setup:   Preatty much factory, with some minor - a must added equipment.

Submitted by Sindre Sandvik a Cross Country Rider from Cardiff

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Solid Stiff frame, comes with good components.
not to heavy (12.8kg)

Weaknesses:    IRC Notos XC comes as default, you want to get rid of them asap. might want to invest in a new seatpost if you plan on riding more than 2-3 hours aday.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, or was it great frame, I tested it before I bought it. Decided I liked the frame, and the mechs was ok.
I plan on getting some RS SID Carbon and Hayes Disc brakes (front w/ Shimano XT hubs) But all in all this is a good value for money bike.

Favorite Trail:   Crusing Sophia Gardens