Rocky Mountain Vertex Team Sc 2002 Hardtail

Submitted by thomas a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2005

Strengths:    very light, awesome acceleration

Bottom Line:
super bike i have had this bike for 6 months and it is by far the best and lightest, i have this bike at 19.52 lbs for someone who is looking for an explosive bike you can`t go wrong with this bike

Similar Products Used:   s-works

Bike Setup:   max flyweight tires ,slr saddle ,spinergy cyclone wheelset xtr shifters and brakes,thomson seatpost ,ritchey wcs stem, easton ea70 bars ,extralite grips

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Strengths:    Light Light Light, 3LBS 1oz for a 19.5 inch frameset with rear D hanger and brake post mounts. Ride quality is amazing, (so much better than aluminum, lighter than titanium) So very fast. Fast acceleration and braking. Beautiful paint job. I see pros riding it all the time in the magazines.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck (slight damage) My own fault.
NONE

Bottom Line:
I was blown away by the ride quality of this frame. Not only is it very light, I have never ridden something this smooth. The MCM is nice, but it accelerate and brakes slower than the Vertex. The S-works was very nice as well, but I would still choose the Vertex. Very aggressive geometry (perfect), It is not a fire road bomber, but on singletrack, it is very quick. I will never sell it, and when it breaks, I will buy another one. So fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant MCM, Klien Attitude, Specialized S work M5, Litespeed.

Bike Setup:   19.5 frameset. White Brothers XC-4. Bontrager race X lite tubeless. Race Face ISIS next LP cranks with FSA pro TI BB. Race Face Dues 120 stem. Carbon riser bar. Thompson post. SLR. XTR brakes/shifters. Python air lites. 20.5 Lbs

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Lighweight, great build, smooth and really fast

Weaknesses:    nadda

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, bought it new from a friend. I have rode many high end mtb, but this one hits the spot. I will never sell it, it's what all mtb should be. Light, fast, smooth and great climber. This bike should recieve some attention. A wonderful bike that makes mountain bike really fun. It makes me ride like a pro and I enjoy mountain biking even more.

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   nadda

Bike Setup:   Stock exceppt Crossmax wheels and XTR crankset

Submitted by Gvoc a Weekend Warrior from New York City

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Boy is it light
Less harsh ride than regular aluminum frame
Dialled-in handling

Bottom Line:

You don't have to race to appreciate the killer handling this bike offers, but you do have to be ready for the sucking sound in your bank account. The extra hit you will take swapping out the Shimano WH M535 wheelset for something more easily servicable tends to crank the price tag up rather more than necessary.

Since price probably isn't an issue if you're buying this bike, the performance is worth it. Great handling on technical climbs and descents: point the bars and you're there, good response to body english as well. Light weight makes a huge difference hopping trail obstacles.

Downhill experiences are less comfortable than climbs, where the light weight trades off into a tendency to bounce easily off rocks and roots. I have not yet felt comfortable sitting back and letting the bike carve turns, still need to steer actively and pick careful lines. This may improve when I swap the Maxxis Minotaurs for my old favorite Smoke/Dart combo; still not used to the Minotaurs'cornering.

Similar Products Used:   Not in this lifetime

ISIS drive version of Next LP cranks
Profile Design Tomac bar-ends

Submitted by Jimmy from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, this bike is really super light.
The sizing of the bike is spot on too, I'm 5'10' and the 18.5' frame is sweet.
The scandium tubing of the Vertex Sc team is not as harsh as a standard alu frame and for me strikes a good balance between flex and ridgidity

Weaknesses:    None really, it is a pricey bike but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
This bike will change the limitations of your climbing. I have been very happy with the bikes desending, with the 1' riser and a slightly shorter stem this baby carves the corners like nobodies business. This really is one of the best bikes you can ever own period. For the serious racer I can strongly recomend this bike

Favorite Trail:   Bluerange

Purchased At:   Mal-adjusted

Similar Products Used:   nadda

Bike Setup:   Sc Team frame, RockShox Ltd Ed SIDney fork, Mavic CrossMax UST wheelset, easton ct carbon 1' riser, ct carbon post, king h/set, fi's'ik saddle, XTR the rest (XT cranks).

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    I really like the paint job, light wieght, and quality build of the bike

Weaknesses:    Have not found one yet

Bottom Line:
I have been researching and race bike for 2 months now. Now I have found my race bike. I have spent a months pay check of this bike, but it's worth every penny. I will be racing the 24 hour race with this bike. This is by far the best mtb I have ever riddden. The bike is really really fast on decends, climbs and downhill. I have beaten the locals with this bike and they are amazed of how fast the bike is. They thought I was a PRO rider. But I am a everyday rider. This is a great bike that everyone should test ride. The best 5 chilis

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Other high end mountain bikes like the S-works and Cannondale F3000SL

Bike Setup:   19" 2002 Vertex team frame, full XTR, Crossmax SL, Sid World cup fork, Easton carbon riser bar and seatpost, Speedplay frog ti pedals, King headset, Thomson stem, Selle ti saddle, and Salsa skewers. A 21lbs race bike

Submitted by Frank a Racer from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    wieght, price, and it's realy fast in decends and climbs

Weaknesses:    none I love everything about it

Bottom Line:
The best mtb I ever ridden. I have tried alot of top of the line racing mtb. But the Vertex team seems to be better. I have even rode it on rode and have beaten local rodies on it. It's light and the quality of the bike is top notch. I also have a M5 mtb, but that is my number 2 bike, I love my Vertex much better. Everyone should own a Vertex SC bike, you will feel the difference. It's really smooth and decends really fast. The best mtb period!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M5

Bike Setup:   XTR, Crossmax, Sid team

Submitted by Bobby a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Price, Looks, paint, and the light wieght

Weaknesses:    Only the paint chips off easily

Bottom Line:
A great mtb from a great company. I love my bike and more. The best hardtail I have ever owned. It's seem to do all I want it to do. It's fast on climbs and decends and even faster on downhills. I can ever catch up with the rodies. It's a wonderful bike. Ride it and you will feel the difference. I will never sell it. I wish they build more bikes like the Vertex. I give it 5 chilis!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M5

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Crossmax tubeless, Sid team

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    wieght, quality, and nice paint job

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, the best hardtail I ever own!!. I had a Zaskar and M4 mtb. But they cannot compare to my Vertex. It climbs great, fast decends, and it's really light. My bike wieghs 21 LBS. This is a great racing bike, I mostly ride on trails and I just love the way the bike handles.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-works

Bike Setup:   Crossmax UST, Full XTR, Sid Race

Submitted by Mike H a Racer from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    Weight/Strenght: This super light bike has the feel of a heavy steel frame. Excellent climbing, and excellent descending

Weaknesses:    Stock component group. The Shimano wheels lasted less than one month and I had to replace them with a set of bullet proof, 3 year old, King/Mavics from my last bike. Also the tires were too scary, 380 grams somethings, I don't even remember

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect XC frame. But just stick with the frame and fork, build the component group yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge in Demo

Purchased At:   TrailHead Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2xx, GT Zaskar

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi XFly, have held up very well

Submitted by Paul a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    -this is a freaky light bike
-it handles realy well
-suprisingly durable
-super fast
-climbs sick fast
-descends realy well for a 21lb hardtail
-the frame has a reay nice smooth fast feel to it

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike and realized what I'd got myself into. A super light extremely fast xc bike. I ride in Canmore a lot and used to be able to do the 24hr race loop in an average of 56 minutes on my old s-works, now I can consistanly do the lap in 51 minutes and if I push the envelope I can drop 48 minute laps. I Put most of this success on the bike it's light weight helps so much on the hills going up and it's smooth frame and bomber fork keep the descents under control. Due to this bike Canadian inspired geometry this bike is brilliant technical trails up or down. Descending this bike is fun unless things are realy rough and fast because the 21lbs of bike just bounces around underneath you and is kind of a sketchy feeling. All in all I find this bike to be a very durable machine I use it for xc rides in the mtns about twice a week and 1 or 2 city trails rides every week and it has held up very well. I don't freeride on it so nothing is bent ofr broken ( I use my pipeline for that ). Anyone who wants a super light weight xc bike with deadly characteristics should look into this bike for sure. I wouldn't even consider abusing it though because I'm pretty sure that would get expensive fast. I scared that 1 wrong move or huge crash and this frame will break. But for all normal xc trails this bike will last a long time, and keep you happy.

Favorite Trail:   Milstream

Purchased At:   Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-works

Bike Setup:   stock except for easton ct2 1" rise bar, sdg satelite sl saddle, hutchinson pythos air light tires and low pressure tubes with hugi hubs built with mavic x-517's

Submitted by Mike from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Price, Quality, wieght

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it's everything I want it to do. It's fast, light, climbs great, and goes really fast down hill. Best bike for the money, I paid only $2300 for a 21LBS Scandium bike. Test ride this bike and you'll feel the diference. Rocky Mountain makes great bikes and this is one example. The best bike I have ever own.

Purchased At:   Bike Smart

Bike Setup:   2002 Rocky Mountain Vextex team SC. Full XTR, Crossmax, Sid team fork, and rest in stock.

Submitted by Somxay a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA , USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    Price(frame $600), really light, geometry, and paint job.

Weaknesses:    decals fall comes off easily

Bottom Line:
The best mtb I ever own, lighter than any S-works frame. I paid $600 for the frame and $1800 for the components. Better bike than any $2400plus mtb out there. My bike wiegh just under 20LBS. I love everything about it. I would recommend the Vextex team to anybody. The frame is strong and super light. I bought my frame for $600, the best $600 I spent all year. Rocky Mountain did a wonderful job with the Vertex team. I give it 5 Chilis

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-works M2-M4

Bike Setup:   16" 2002 Vertex team frame, Crossamx UST, Sid race, full XTR, Monekylite SL, Goretex cables, Thomson stem and seatpost, King headset, Bebop pedals, Selle gel flow saddle, Salsa skewers and brake booster, Oury grips, Kool Stop brake pads and Michelon Jet S tires.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome paint job, light as a feather, very fast climber,
even better descender

Weaknesses:    ABSOLUTELY Nothing!!!!!

Bottom Line:
The attention to detail abounds on this bike from the
beautiful welds and proven geometry to the sweeeeet paint job and tapered top tube and seat tube. When it comes to climbing this bike is like a mountain goat on sterroids. Grouped with the Zocchi air fork the Vertex eats up downhill and gives me so much confidence.
The Scandium frame is very strong without the harsh ride of alluminum. It rides like a high end titanium frame soaking up most everthing in it's way. No complaints yet, I have only had it for 3 months. My recomendation is not to wash your rig with a power washer. First of all it strips off all your lubrication and if you do it enough the paint job too. Clean your rig with a dry cloth after every ride. All in all the best hardtail I have ever owned. RM owned up to it's reputation and there passion for building the best bikes around. If your more than a weekend warrior, a XC racer, a weight weenie or just love a quality built bike this bike is for you. If you are a weekend warrior or prefer to ride pavement this is NOT the bike for you. This bike wants to be ridden hard and fast and it shows.

Favorite Trail:   Hunter's Creek