Raleigh M80 2002 Hardtail

4.18/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from South SF Bay, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2004

Strengths:    Decent value for the price. Rode very well in the beginning. Got me back in the MTB after many years of not riding. Good entry/reentry level bike.

Weaknesses:    Started disintigrating over the 2nd year. All the components just started going south & I could have bought a 2004 M80 for the price of the components. Also, the thing is just HEAVY. So I just bought a trek 8000 for the lighter frame that is worth upgrading in 2 years when I thrash all *those* components.

Bottom Line:
I thrashed the heck out of this bike & it stood up pretty well to the beating considering that it is really classified as a "recreational" bike, not a performance bike.

If you've ever ridden Skeggs or Soquel you know that they are pretty hard on the ride (and sometimes the rider ;)

So considering the abuse, it was worth the initial outlay, but going forward, not worth pouring the money into this particular frame to get it back to where it should be.

Will submit a review on the trek 8000 after I abuse that one a bit...

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs, Soquel Demonstration

Purchased At:   Walt's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock stuff, replaced the seat & pedals.

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    Lots of Bang! Not so many Bucks!

Weaknesses:    For the money you can't beat it!

Bottom Line:
This bike has taken a beating and is still going strong...Keep in mind pretty much the only thing left from stock is the frame and fork. I am a big rider at 220-240 and I don't ride lightly....this bike has taken all the abuse I have dished out.

Favorite Trail:   Dailey Ranch

Purchased At:   Midwest Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   ALOT

Bike Setup:   XT everything, WTB wheels

Submitted by sirius black a Cross Country Rider from houston, tx, eua

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    price, majority of components

Weaknesses:    wheels

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike for the money. the only better buy i have found is the ibex trophy. i laugh at comments about geometry and weight. check the specs and you'll find this bike has virtually the same geometry as some very, very expensive racing hardtails. i figure if a one degree difference in geometry really makes you uncomfortable then you must be a MUCH better rider than me. i've had this for a year now and it has served me very well except for the wheelset. it truly sucked. the zacs are heavy the velociraptors are heavy and the joytech hubs are trash. even after rebuilding the felt like a meat grinder. the lbs where i bought this bike tried talking me into a more expensive bike but the folks at REI gave some good sane advice. better wheels. some mavic 221 on deore hubs with hutchinson python lites and the bike dropped from 29lbs to 26 ilbs and felt like a comletely different machine. also i was a bit uncomfortable with riding position but a switch to flat bars with a no rise stem took care of that. WOW. felt like putting a V8 in a chevy vega! the switch to the stylo's (got em closeout for less than XT's on sale!) has made this an under 25 lb joy! and while it took about a bit to drop those 4 lbs i couldn't have walked out of the lbs with a bike equipped exactly as i want for what i have in this baby. invest the cash in a good wheelset and this bike rocks!

Purchased At:   sun and ski sports houston

Bike Setup:   currently running hutchinson python lites on mavic 221 with deore hubs, titec big al stem with flat bars, truvativ stylo team, fsa platinum bb, shimano clipless

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior from Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    - Sturdy frame
- Adequate componentry for the price

Weaknesses:    - Horribly unstable for overweight riders (> 270 pounds)
- Geometry not good for rugged single-track terrain
- Heavy

Bottom Line:
This bike turned out to be a horrible experience for me. While it may be a decent bike for average weight riders not trying to learn in ins and outs of rugged single-track riding, it was certainly not the bike for me.

While it felt good in the parking lot of the dealer, once I got it out on some trails, it became a living and breathing nightmare. For starters, the front fork was ALWAYS compressed for me. Even after upgrading to the Judy TT with an upgraded spring, it would fully compress without much effort.

Also, the front fork was very prone to torquing. That is to say, I would be riding along with the handlebars firm and steady, but the front tire would be doing its own thing (mostly turning left and right on it's own, but also wobbling as the shock compressed unevenly). Granted, the wobbling was very minor (probably only a couple of degrees), but it was very unnerving and I was constantly under the impression that I was going to torque the front wheel right off.

Beyond that, the top tube was very high for the bike size. Unfortunately, I ended up with a very large frame because of how far I had to extend the seat post, so I ended up doing many a groin plant on the top tube.

Finally, the bike geometry was horrible for me. I could never find a comfortable riding position and could never get full power out of my pedal strokes. Also, I could never get back far enough behind the seat to get a stable feel when down-hilling.

All and all, this bike almost caused me to stop mountain biking altogether. Luckily, I tried a friend's Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ and had to immediately buy my own. Now I truly enjoy biking again (thank God)!

For those of you considering a Raleigh M80, be sure to ride it good and hard before buying it. Make sure it is what you want. If you are large fellow (I am 6' 2" and weigh 273 pounds), I would either look for another bike or be prepared to spend close to a grand for upgrades so that it can handle your weight. The shock I was going to buy to replace the failed Judy TT was $660 (more than the bike!).

Obviously, if you're buying this bike to tool around on simple trails and you're of average weight, this bike might work just fine for you.

Favorite Trail:   Liberty Reservoir

Purchased At:   Gaithersburg Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Not Necessarily Similar:
- Schwinn Frontier GS
- Specialized Epic
- Gary Fisher 3+ Disc
- Gary Fisher 2+ Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock except for upgraded front shock. Changed over to Judy TT with an upgraded spring.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Rockville,Md

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Strengths:    it's fast corners like it's on rails and it's fairly lite for it's price with great specs.

Weaknesses:    The cable housing broke for my rear V-brake.

Bottom Line:
a great bike buy it. I broke almost everthing on my M-40 and i have ridden this bike twice as far twice as hard in 3 months and it still going strong and begging for more!buy it you you ride like a crazy person tje tires hook up in everthing, the fork ( rock shox "judy c" ) is great, the handle bar is a bit wide but i'm 140 pounds and 5-10 and it works for me, swap the toe clips for a pair of egg beaters and you got a ready to race rig 2 thumbs up nice job Raleigh!

Favorite Trail:   C and O canal

Purchased At:   gaithersburg bikes

Similar Products Used:   many toys-r-us bikes and a m-40

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Iceman a Cross Country Rider from Barbados

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry & Weight, Components, Looks

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Headset

Bottom Line:
The M80 is a good XC bike. It has features such as light weight and the Deore drivetrain components that are synonymous for a good XC bike setup. The geometry of the bike is another added bonus which makes jumping over objects and finding a comfortable seating position easy.
Also the WTB tires grip very well to mud, gravel and dry&wet road.

My complaints so far about the M80 are the pedals which come with straps. If your riding includes 90% pavement terrain then you don't have a problem being strapped in. But for those who mainly hit the trails where strapped isn't an option I would advise you to change the pedals. The strap attachment is detachable and without the straps the pedals still provide moderate grip when dry and mud free. But grip lacks when wet or muddy.
The M80 is an XC bike therefore it is customised mainly for weight not serious thrashing for trails. So it maybe worth being conscious the big airs you may be tempted to take and how hard you hit the trails. The '02 Judy fork, hubs and rims do fear reasonably well against the occasion thrashing.
All in all I haven't had major any problems with bike since I've had it and it is a good buy for the components that come standard with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   DH trails

Similar Products Used:   Komda 2618

Bike Setup:   Standard except upgrade to Azonic fusion pedals

Submitted by Nick W a Downhiller from NYC

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    A very strong xc bike that can be used for some light Freeriding. I have had the bike for 2 months now and i havent gotten one flat! :knock on wood: I like the geometry, because it is very versatile.

Weaknesses:    My derailuer hanger was bent and then broken, the mechanic bent it back into shape but it was bent out and i am unable to use any gears from 1-9 because the rear derauler hits the spokes.

Bottom Line:
Excellent xc bike for the price. Fork is good for light hits, probably no more than 10 feet to flat. I have done a couple good 6 footers to flat on concrete and the bikes seems to be ok. I was thinking of racing this bike for Dual Slalom next year but the frame is a 20" and thats way to big for DS. If you want a cheap bike that is good for aggresive xc and light freeriding hardtail, this is your bike. Try to get if for less than the MSRP which is $500, i got mine for $400 and the guys at the shope told me that they usually sell it for that price.

Favorite Trail:   The Holy Trail!

Purchased At:   Metro Bikes

Submitted by Ian Collins a Cross Country Rider from Middletown

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Strengths:    strengths would definitly have to be the frame. the thing feels bomb-proof. i like the deore shifters, nice placement dont have to switch your grip at all to shift its just right theyre. the front Judys arent too bad. after months of hard riding almost every day, the thing still works. needs tune ups frequently but hey, all bikes do. other strengths would be the component level, its good for someone whos learning, and gettin better and can upgrade to a better bike later.

Weaknesses:    weaknesses, toe clips and straps, ahhh. the rear tire doesnt get much traction i upgraded that,the grips didnt last. somehow a piece of plastic broke off in the shox, had to get that fixed

Bottom Line:
you get what you pay for with this bike, but its worth it it really is

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Mt. Snow or middlesex college

Purchased At:   pedal power

Similar Products Used:   raleigh M60, raleigh m40, trek 820, trek 4900, gt agressor

Bike Setup:   stock except for continental survivor rear tire, battle hard rogue bmx style grips, WTB speed-v saddle

Submitted by Jorge a Weekend Warrior from Urbandale, IA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Best blend of components, frame material, etc. for the money. Comparable bikes from other brands came in typically $100-200 higher in price. When no one could give me a better explanation than "They build the frames one at a time in the USA.", I quickly forgot about those other brands and turned my full attention toward the Raleigh. I could give a rats hind-parts where its built. I know good welds when I see them.

The Deore components work just fine. Smooth predictable shifting regardless of condition with only regular maintenance (cable adjustments, clean and lubes, etc.)

The brakes may look a little generic, but I've never had an issue with them. Stopping power has always been adequate even in wet conditions at relatively high speeds. And I'm no small fry...keep that in mind.

The wide handlebars are very nice. I'm a big guy and its nice to have bars that match my shoulder width. I've notice a couple people complaining about the width of the bars. I just have two words for them: hack saw. Any reputable bike shop will narrow the bars for you before delivery.

Weaknesses:    The toe clips/straps are too small for big footed riders. I'm really interested in clipless pedals, so my intention is to upgrade to a larger clip/strap setup or to a Powergrips type product.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a good, solid, reasonably priced MTB the M80 is worth more than a glance. I'm 6'4", well over 200 lbs and ride in some pretty rough terrain from time to time. If anyone is breaking parts on this bike, they're abusing it or not maintaining it properly. A bicycle is like a car or any other mechanical device: it requires some periodic maintenance.

Unless you're making a living riding a bicycle, this is probably enough bike for you.

Buy it. Ride it. You'll have a heck of a lot of fun for less than $500.

Purchased At:   Barr Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   I tried out the following bikes before settling on the M80: Trek: 4100, 4900, 6700. Giant: Iguana. Gary Fisher: Can't remember the model. Canondale: F400, F600.

Bike Setup:   All stock with the exception of a longer, 0° rise stem.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, Arizona

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Great price! Tires are awesome. The Deore shifters are very responsive. You cannot find a better bike for this price. When ridden on the surface roads it just glides smoothly. I haven't taken it to the trails yet. I will very soon.

Weaknesses:    I don't care to much for the strap pedals. I may put them back on though.

Bottom Line:
As stated above, you won't find a bike like this for the money. The 2003's are out they are about 100 bux more but offer disk brakes this year! or an upgraded frony crank. Raleigh makes great bikes! This is a great bike for beginers and novices alike.

Favorite Trail:   don't have one yet

Purchased At:   Valley Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M20

Submitted by Steve-o Reddick a Cross Country Rider from Crownsville, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Strengths:    Hell yes. I'm diggin my bike. the frame is really nice. alot of stiffness and very light. I kinda like the wide handle bars.

Weaknesses:    The deore deurailers/shifters could be better. V brakes....cant say too much about them. The cage pedals that came with- broke pretty fast i went ahead and bought some clipless. broke my deurailers a few times already. the rims are single walled. easily bent off of big drops.

Bottom Line:
i think the bike - the crappy accesories should be more then what i paid. I'm very happy. I ride hours every day.

Favorite Trail:   gunpowder falls

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   old Raleigh m-50 with no suspension (new suspension was quite a treat) trek 4900, Giant rincon.

Bike Setup:   all stock parts except the new nashbar clipless pedals. Soon ill get an xtr deurailer, i promise.

Submitted by Keith A a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Overall the bike has been great. All components have held up well. I pretty much ride off road but not extreme.

Weaknesses:    Really can't think of anything to add. For those who think the handle bars are to wide, have them cut. Thats why they're longer than normal, customize to your comfort. I had over an inch cut off, both sides total.

Bottom Line:
I've put 500 miles on this bike and have been really happy with it.
Most of my riding is in flat to hilly conditions with sand, dirt, and occasional mud.
The drivetrain has held up well and shifts very smoothly. Going up steep hills with a lot of torque on the crank, the drivetrain is still able to shift, and the chain has not broken yet.
The back tire seems to hookup nicely in mud or in sand. The front tire seems to run better for me with only 35 to 40 pounds of air. Otherwise the tire feels a little to unpredictable if I have too much air in it while riding off road.
No complaints about the front fork Judy C. At first had it set to light than cranked the preload adjustment down, and it works great with my weight, 170 LBS. Even at 190 LBS. when I bought the bike the forks still worked well, but even better now that I'm lighter.
I give this bike five flamin chilis in both value, and overall rating. I looked at the trek 4900, and the Giant Iguana. I felt the M80 offered better components for the money. It has Deore all the way around as oppose to the 4900 and Iguana which are mixed drivetrains. If you want better components then bye a higher priced bike. It's pretty silly to knock the components on this bike since it’s only a 500.00 bike. Otherwise I don't think you're going to beat the quality of the M80 for the price.

I'm really happy with the Time ATAC pedals. Work very well in mud. This is my first set of pedals, did try wellgo's for about a day, they stunk. This pedal has been a great experience for this first-timer. Very, Very easy to get into, and very easy to get out of.

Purchased At:   Carlson's cycles, Minneapolis, Great Place, Excellent service