Raleigh M40 2002 Hardtail

3.89/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike G a Weekend Warrior from Hauppauge, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Very durable bike. I've used it for 6 years now and it keeps up with the rigors of the trails. Excellent shifting, good speed, overall a great bike for the dollar and beginner to intermediate mountain bikers.

Weaknesses:    Ergomically unsound. You need spacers to adjust the height of the handle bars. If you don't have them, a minor inconvenience. The Avenir seat that came stock is horrible and very uncomfortable. But on the trails I ride, you're standing up more than sitting.

Bottom Line:
Just an excellent bike overall. Any adjustments for comfort can easily be made.

Favorite Trail:   Bethpage State Park

Purchased At:   Mineola Bicycle

Submitted by Brendan Urie a Racer from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, Good Frame

Weaknesses:    Derailleur/Shifters, Shocks (Omni)

Bottom Line:
This Bike isn't for serious mountain bikers. The shocks could be better though you can ride up curbs. In other words it's good on the road (could be lighter but not heavy) but not the trails.

PS I'm borrowing it from my neighbor.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Canyon

Purchased At:   Borrowed/Borrowing

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedona, Vertical PK7

Bike Setup:   Default/Original Setup

Submitted by raleigh rider a Weekend Warrior from keedysville, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    smooth shifting, great stopping power, and low maintenance

Weaknesses:    PEDALS,PEDALS,PEDALS definitely worth upgrading

Bottom Line:
bottom line is this is the most bang for your buck. Easily upgraded if necessary. I've been riding this bike for 6 years now and haven't had a single problem although I'm not an extreme trail rider. Perfect for the moderate rider!

Favorite Trail:   any I can find

Purchased At:   Frederick bicycles

Bike Setup:   stock other than pedals

Submitted by hardrockshumunu a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Cant got a better bike for the money

Weaknesses:    the spring is on the outside of the front suspension

Bottom Line:
My cousin (m40shumunu) got this bike used for 150 bucks and it is way better than the trek bikes that i tried except for the suspension. my specialized is better but it isnt a huge difference. overall this is the best bike up to 350 bucks

Favorite Trail:   Afton

Purchased At:   Eriks

Similar Products Used:   trek 820, trek 4300, specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by m40 a Downhiller from counntry

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Strengths:    beastly frame thats very light and i have had many many many bike over the years and this was the cheapist and the best

Weaknesses:    its pedals but some bear claws can fix that for about 18$

Bottom Line:
if your looking for a great bike for a reasnible price buy this u wont be disipointed

Favorite Trail:   gateway

Purchased At:   eriks bike retail sh

Similar Products Used:   theirs nothing like this ride

Bike Setup:   stock except the bear claw padals

Submitted by David Mundy a Racer from Grants Pass, OR, United States

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame. I've been hit by four cars since I bought the bike and the frame is still straight.

Weaknesses:    cheap stock pedals. front forks arn't the best for off road. Shifter needs constant attention after a trail

Bottom Line:
Great beginner bike. But not the best for any extreme trails.

Favorite Trail:   any that I find

Purchased At:   Don"s Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Shimano clip in pedals. Other than that it's stock.

Submitted by walle a Downhiller from country

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    frame

Weaknesses:    pedals broke on me so i bought medal ones

Bottom Line:
great bike for road and off roading you should think about geting this bike

Favorite Trail:   my back yard

Purchased At:   willys bike shop

Similar Products Used:   no bike is as awsome as this

Bike Setup:   m40 whith medal pedals and gel seat a clix release system

Submitted by m400 a Cross Country Rider from state

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    frame

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
get this m40

Purchased At:   dicks

Similar Products Used:   trek 820

Submitted by trekk a Weekend Warrior from country

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    everything

Bottom Line:
get this awsome bike

Purchased At:   eriks

Bike Setup:   m40

Submitted by m40shumunu a Weekend Warrior from country

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    every thing

Bottom Line:
get this bike you wont regret it

Purchased At:   eriks

Similar Products Used:   trekk 820

Bike Setup:   m40

Submitted by byron a Cross Country Rider from tamworth

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    I live up north and have had this bike for five years. i ride four seasons and all i can say is that it has out preformed anything else if have used. The frame is rock solid. The fork takes anything I throw at it. The trigger shifters are great. when the brakes are calibrated they work just as well as disks.

Weaknesses:    The fork does not work to well on the small stuff. you have to push the shifter for the front derailleur a little bit past the three mark to get it to shift. it does not shift well under presser and i just broke the rear derailleur (but that is the only thing that has gone wrong on this bike.)

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this is the best bike you will find for under five hundred and will last forever no matter how hard you beat on it. this bike is great for any rider from a beginner to a seasoned veteran of the trails

Favorite Trail:   what ever i can find

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Aaron Eagan a Weekend Warrior from York PA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is strong, light and sturdy. Love the shifters, never had any issues with shifting on any terrain.

Weaknesses:    Peddles and fork are cheap, could be up graded for the off roader but they get the job done. They dont make the M40 anymore but I think the Raleigh 5.5 is close to the same!

Bottom Line:
I am a cheap cat in and out. I did my share of research and for the money this bike is the best! I have used my bike in all conditions not only off road, and I have been very pleased!
I was worried when all my friends bought $600 bikes this year and I didn't. However at the end of the trails my M40 is always in the mix of things!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge

Purchased At:   Gung Ho Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized HardRock Sport. (nice bike but more $$ than the M40)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Matthew Boyagian a Weekend Warrior from Wayne, MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    The Gel Seat rocks , the overall experience is worthwhile! do not let others that slam this "MADE IN THE USA" bike tell you otherwise.

Weaknesses:    no rear shock.

Bottom Line:
GET IT, it's a solid built AMERICAN MADE bike. It doesn't do fancy tricks, or long jumps, or whatever...IT'S MADE IN THE USA !! a great bike for ppl that don't want to spend a fortune on a sport or venture that they might not like. Don't blame the the bike, blame the rider. ENJOY YOURSELF!! And Ride a good bike, no matter what you choose!!