Raleigh M20 2002 Hardtail

4.31/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by SMartin a Weekend Warrior from Henrico, VA, USA`

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Lasted for almost 9 years

Weaknesses:    rims
rear break cable
front derailleur
fork/suspension
rear derailleur

Bottom Line:
Got this bike for Christmas(thats right, I said Christmas, not the holidays) in 2002 and it died on me in May of 2011. I'll admit that for the first 5 years I only used it to bike around the block and light trails since I got the bike when I was 11 and nobody in my family rides on trails so the bike really only lasted me about 3 years and each year the level of riding progressed. By the time it died I rode on average of 30 miles each time I rode (10 miles to the trail, 10 miles on trail, 10 miles back home) with some rides of up to a little over 50 miles. Periodically my breaks needed adjustments and eventually they needed them before/after every ride and then the front derailleur needed adjustments every couple of weeks. By the time I admitted my bike was dead, the forks suspension was dead, front derailleur needed daily adjustments, rear derailleur was broke, rear rim was bent, and the rear break cable was so stretched the break didnt work(product weakness section is in order of what wore out in order). Even though its all fixable, its time for a new bike. All in all I'm amazed at how well something with the Made in China worked for a beginner bike.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Submitted by Thanatos a Weekend Warrior from Urbana, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    A definite tank, very light in comparison to many other bikes I have owned previously. This bike is over 8 years old, and still runs like new. The only thing I have had to replace to date are the tires, as I ride this bike on a daily basis.

Weaknesses:    the front derailleur has problem with the lower gear, and found the best front gear to ride with was the second one.

Bottom Line:
The best $275 I have spent on a bike to date. If the choice was given to me again, I'd probably buy another Raleigh or Specialized, maybe even a Trek. I have strong legs, and this bike has put me to my limit on more than one occasion. I have not found any major problems with it.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop in F

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock

Submitted by superbox a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Solid steel frame, decent components which work well for such a cheap bike, comfortable "comfort" ergonomics which accommodates a range of rider heights, horizontal dropoffs make it SS compatible, rack and fender mounts.

Weaknesses:    Horizontal dropoffs are useless and annoying for a bike that will probably always remain geared for most people who will use this for commuting - makes it a pain in the rear to get the axle perfectly aligned. Oversized tubing is ridiculous and probably makes the steel frame heavier than if they were normal double butted slim tubes! Only one set of cage brazeons on a huge frame that should have two sets!

Bottom Line:
A cheap American made bike that my friend has used to embarass me while on actual gnarly XC rides at Skeggs and the Marin Headlands as well as a few urban rides. The frame isn't as comfortable hitting bumps as my steel Rockhopper but it works fine for a rigid. The drivetrain, when properly tuned and set up, works just as well as a new 27 speed setup. Not a terribly heavy pig. Brakes stopped well enough for a downhill rock garden we attempted recently, where my Stumpjumper's disc brakes overheated and faded! Rear wheel has to be trued every couple rides, but I'm an amateur at truing wheels so could be my inexperience.

Gets ridden a few days a week on a short commute, and will be kept around so my friend can once again ride it when his bike is in the shop.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Flea Market

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Crossroads, Rockhopper (set up as commuter bikes

Bike Setup:   Shimano index 21 speed, grip shifters, Oury grips, knobby tires, Alex 101 front rim, Araya rear rim with Deore hub, Tektro vbrakes, Raleigh steel fork

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from cary, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2008

Strengths:    it was cheap

Weaknesses:    This bike was a piece of crap. After two years of solid riding, my rear axle was shot, the crank and free wheel were bad, and the shocks quit working. I maintained it and kept it under a shelter when I was not using it, so it should of lasted a lot longer. I was still on the original front tire. THE FRONT TIRE SHOULD NOT OUTLIVE THE BACK AXLE! Do not buy this bike.

Bottom Line:
You should not buy this bike if you are serious about riding. If you lock it up in your garage and ride twice a year, sure, but I would highly advise you against purchasing it.

Submitted by Patrick Fitzmorris from Los Angeles CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    very durable

Weaknesses:    pedals "click" while force is being applied

Bottom Line:
used it a lot, tweaked the front wheel.
nothing has failed, except the left pedal stripped on the inside where it attaches to the shaft
great for getting around, on or off road

Favorite Trail:   Victory trailhead

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   specialized brand mountain bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by John Estill a Racer from Lake St. Louis, MO USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive bike that has many features expected in a high end bike

Weaknesses:    Shifters will change gears on rough trails when you keep your grip too close to the revo shift

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to pull my kiddos in their kiddy cart. It has turned out to be a favorite bike to ride when I am not on the road bike. This bike has made the Katy Trail ride two times with no problems (260+ miles each way). I have loaded it down with camping gear and rode through wet and muddy trails with no problems. I got more than expected from a $230 dollar bike. This bike is a great value for someone wanting to pull two kids around the neighborhood or take a trek acoss a state with gear.

Favorite Trail:   Katy Trail

Purchased At:   Momentum bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek antelope

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from saco, maine, usa

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    built to last, extremely strong, responsive, great breaks, great tuning, speed demond, upgradeable. I have over a thousand miles on this bike(im 13) i did the trek across maine on it(180miles in 2 and a half days)it held up very nicely ecspecialy on decents.

Weaknesses:    sucky kenda tires, rims go out of true every once in a while, grip shift...cant shift in rain, shamano sis. 7 gears.

Bottom Line:
this thing is a tank! i cant afford a "real" bike so i got this one. ive had it for two years! it is a little on the heavy side but for the price is very good. you can beat the crap out of it like i have and nothing will happen. i am trying to get into some more seriuos xc riding, this bike will not take me there. i also need a sponsor, (like that will happen.) the sis shifting sucks, i broke mine by changing a tire! the front shifting has very little responce time. this bike is great for begginers or even the weekend warrior. not meant for anything other than xc use.

Favorite Trail:   clifford park

Purchased At:   joe jones

Similar Products Used:   raleigh m80, countless mongooses, diamondback, gary fisher(test ridden)

Bike Setup:   completely stock eccept for ALTUS rear derailiuer.

Submitted by christopher a Weekend Warrior from Lacey WA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    Built like a tank, cheap

Weaknesses:    Lower end component group, not a speed demon

Bottom Line:
Great tank for money, minimum you can buy to get a bike that you can trust to be 20 miles from a phone. Has held up to 50 miles a week for the past 5 years. Only had to repair back tire bushing(sheared) and the front wheel bearings wore out after 4 years. I would recommend this bike to anyone on a budjet who loves to ride alot. 99% of the miles are on asphalt of packed flat trail, so unsure of offroad abilitys.

Favorite Trail:   Chehalis Western

Purchased At:   Coronado CA.

Similar Products Used:   Daimond back apex, Specialized sport rock

Bike Setup:   Stock, regular forks

Submitted by Nick from Mason,OH U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty Light, good brakes, tons of speeds

Weaknesses:    front gears don't shift that good

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike and i would suggest for anybody to use it.

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from OH

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    Good all around bike. Great learning bike.

Weaknesses:    The bike is okay but is kinda heavy. RST shock sucks it won't at all in the cold but...you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. If your lookin for a decent first bike, the m20 is for you. I think this bike is best for the younger riders.

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh m600,m8000,sc200 and my moms tara.

Bike Setup:   '03 Haro ics 4.0 with lx grouping,RockShox pilot sl.

Submitted by d i a Weekend Warrior from nyc

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    Solid, comfortable, sturdy, reliable. 4 years of Weekend, weeknight, commuting, no problems at all. This included curb-impacts, potholes, all kinds of abuse. Great city/commuting bike, esp. if you upgrade to 30/42/52 up front.

Weaknesses:    Poor paint adhesion, requires constant touching up and corrosion inhibitor like Dinol or LPS Aircraft spec BMS 3-29 (Toxic, use adequate protection) after paint touching-up. Stolen. Don't use anything except kryptonite new york disk lock on noose chain. I lost two bikes in one week in 1 minute, with krypto u-locks and krypto cables. I guess bike in red too atractive to delivery crowd.

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck. Great Value. Stay away from suspension bikes in city/commute. It increases operating cost at expense of reliability and safety.

Purchased At:   Astoria Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock, Bell, RR Rack, Pump, Holder

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Ridgefield, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Despite what i thought of them, the RST 181 CL shocks have held up very nicely. I took my friends bike for a ride and goin off jumps killed my hands and arms. The Gripshifts are very responsive and have held up great.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses i have found are its weight and its cheap shimano sis derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a great beginners bike. You get what you pay for. If you're not very serious about mountain biking, but its just a hobby, this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   My own custom made in the woods of my backyard

Purchased At:   Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Sorrento

Bike Setup:   All sis, planning on upgrading to Alivio, and then later LX

Submitted by Alex Reiner a Weekend Warrior from Exeter NH

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very sweet, ive had this bike for 5 years this month i got it on my birthday when i was 9. i havnt got around to buying a new one but now i want to. over the years it has been great. everything has held up great. i have gotten new handlebars rims tires and brake pads but that was after 3.5 years. i cant beleive how long I have had this bike. if you want a first time abuse bike its great for the money.

Weaknesses:    breaks annoying and very sqeaky while wet (but most are)

Bottom Line:
great first bike. can take anything. i have ghost ridden it down a hill (when you jump off the back while its still rolling) to test the strength and nothin happened.fairly lite. solid sturdy and quick.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock (in exeter)

Purchased At:   Wheel Power