Norco Bigfoot 2002 Hardtail

4.31/5 (26 Reviews)

Submitted by rob kuhn a Weekend Warrior from southern california

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Strong and lightweight frame

Weaknesses:    Rather tall head tube

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get back to my roots (hard tail) so I thought about rebuilding my old Myata frame but we're talking 1994 circa which didn't have disc brake mounts and the headtube was setup for the 1-1/4 fork; I eventually installed a 1-1/8 reducer.

While looking for parts on eBay I stumbled on this frame for $69.00. It was new and never been built! The owner had bought it with plans to build it up but it just never happened.

I love this bike! I have the large 20" frame which is pretty large for me (I'm 5' 11") and that was a concern since my past XC bikes were in the 17 and 18 inch size.

Because it has a rather tall head tube, none of the steerer tubes on my forks were long enough. The cost to have have new steerer tubes installed averaged between $125 and $200. So I decided to just purchase a new fork (seeing as I got the frame for $69 it was rather easy for me to justify the cost to myself).

Once I got the bike built and I straddle it is when I realized at how big of bike it really was! I was concerned that it may be too big a bike for some of the technical rides.

The the other thing I noticed was how "fast" the bike accelerated as well as its excellent climbing speed! This thing takes off like a rocket and climbs like a goat! Because the frame is large (and its matched with a 130mm fork) it can take hits rather well. Thought it is large it's very nimble in the technicals. The frame is well balanced so techy areas that I used to do on my 17 inch frame I can do just as easy with this 20 incher.

As mentioned, this bike is fast. Much faster than any of my previous bikes. Long single track rides are awesome with this bike!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Myata Elevation '400

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 130mm fork, WTB wheels, Hayes disc (mechanical), Chris King headset, Easton handlebars, Kenda 2.1 tires, Lizard Skin Lock-on grips

Submitted by wut up cool a Weekend Warrior from olds canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    It has a strong frame and great stock tires it is also very light and durable.

Weaknesses:    Nothen this bike the bomb.

Bottom Line:
If youre looking for a tough bike that can ride it all the Norco Big foot may be the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Dont got one

Purchased At:   Bow cycle

Similar Products Used:   Norco Kompressor

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by martin hubert a Weekend Warrior from Simcoe, Ontario

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2006

Strengths:    8" Hayes rotor brakes, Marzocchi Dirt Jam Comp Forks, Aluminum Frams, Shinamo Deore Hubs, Shifters and Hayes Sole

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
Buy It! it is an amazing bike

Favorite Trail:   "ride her gently"

Purchased At:   first cycle works london

Similar Products Used:   The rest were junk compared to this one

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Garden Hill, Ontaio, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    It goes and goes, and never gives up, until the shoddy cranks give out, but they can be replaced.
Frame is invicible, which is good for me because I use it for things it wasn't intended for.

Weaknesses:    Cranks. Truvative 5D suck monkey nuts. Change them as soon as possible....broke mine three times and still didn't bother to change em for something else....good thing I was still on warranty. The Judy TT are a little soft as well, and I only weight in at 130.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike to no end....three years runnin' and still going strong. Been abused, neglected at one point, "restored", and it still keeps going. Rims are tough as hell, pedals are great, shifting is smooth, but its starting to skip (think that's due to the bent chain though, hehe). I've used this thing for 5ft drops, which could have also aided in the crank problems, but thats beside the point, which is this bike for the price, and quality of components is a tank, bomb proof, whatever you want to call it. Used it for XC racing for a while. Did surprisingly well, as I managed to beat out most of the competition on their lightweight XC race bikes.....ha, take that. Bottom line: Yummy to the tummy Bigfoot meat is.

Purchased At:   Crappy ass bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Marin East Peak, Marin Juniper Trail, GT Avalance, GT LTS DS 1000

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for front tire...upgraded to Kenda Kintic Sticky, as opposed to standard Kinetic.

Submitted by Charlie Fitzpatrick a Weekend Warrior from vic, australia

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    good solid frame, great rims and shocks, comfortable bike to ride, solid tires, discs are very very handy

Weaknesses:    front derailer is a bit cheap and dodgy, shifters are much the same

Bottom Line:
all up solid bike for the dollar. the discs and frame and shocks are awsome but i recomend replacing the front derailer it just pisses you off. great lower to mid range bike. great for eginner to mids. can take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   not too fussy

Purchased At:   vic mtb

Similar Products Used:   kona nunu, norco charger, scott aspen, avanti manic

Bike Setup:   marzocchi exr comp shocks, deore rear derailer and some cheapo front derailer, hayes discs.

Submitted by AJ Moniz a Weekend Warrior from Richmond , Bc

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Front shifter , after 1 year cabnnot shift to Granny gear easily ....

Bottom Line:
Good bike , well built , the 2003 model has much of the upgrades required , front & rear disc's , stronger front shocks would help .

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Downhill

Purchased At:   Caps Cycle , Richmond, BC

Submitted by cory a Downhiller from bc

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    frame, rims , disk compatable,most componetnts good, excellent acceleration

Weaknesses:    shocks to weak, needed disks, parts got to loose to easy

Bottom Line:
great bike for the $ would definetly recomend needs few upgrades but they r easy to do

Favorite Trail:   view point

Purchased At:   northern cycle

Similar Products Used:   devinchi castus

Bike Setup:   same

Submitted by chris jmaiff a Downhiller from nelson

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    good bombers exr's good nice friam the discs ont his puppy stop withj no problem the frame is skokem!!

Bottom Line:
i think it is an awosme bike for everyone

Favorite Trail:   lil g

Purchased At:   1000

Similar Products Used:   i dunno

Bike Setup:   to lazy to say

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    Its a pretty sweet bike for the price. The 1000$ is Canadain plus I upgraded to a BomberEXR fork. I like to take drops, ride downhill and cross country on this bike. I don't find alot of time to ride, so this is a perfect bike for the price

Weaknesses:    JudyTT fork. Is a piece of sh*t so I, put on a bomber.
Cranks fell off, but they gave me free new ones.

Bottom Line:
This is a KILLER BIKE!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   The Gorge

Purchased At:   Epic Ride(small local town shop)

Submitted by Jared a Weekend Warrior from Red Deer, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    This bike has great components. Nice derailure and the new cranks and pedals work great. Real strong and light frame and rims are tough. Shimano V's have awesome stopping power. Hubs are also ready to go.

Weaknesses:    Tires pick up lots of mud but thats hard to fix. Rock Shox Judy TT are fine if you land back tire first and don't take drops on the nose.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike to start out on. If your more advanced and getting into the big stuff I suggest a better bike, but it's a perfect all around bike to start getting into anykind of riding. Handles big drops, 5ft to flat easy. For $800 Canadian. Get it.

Purchased At:   United Cycle

Submitted by racerX a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    Shout out to all other bigfoot owners- has any one else felt that the top tube on the 2002 model is way too short? i have a 20" , but when you try to hop curbs, wheelie, or do drops it seems that another 3 inches of length would make a huge difference. the cockpit feels cramped, just in general. So has anyone upgraded to a longer stem, wider bars or taller shocks and found this problem cured? Im 5'10 with a longish back and aarms, so this could be just a personal issue.

Bottom Line:
other than the above, the bike is great. Anyone considering it though i would say go find a similar bike from brodie. Hardtail pride!

Submitted by Jim Bob a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, SK

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Tough Frame, good value for money, easy bike to upgrade, great rims

Weaknesses:    Judy TT screwed up after a month or 2, replaced under warrantee, hubs are cheap, are making bad noise, but they are disk ready

Bottom Line:
great entry-medium freeride bike. good specs for the cost ($818 canadian), except the rockshox judy

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor