Kona Pahoehoe 2002 Hardtail

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Karlchen

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    A excellent hardtail, with a sensitive fork which keeps the hand calm, reliable SHIMANO Deore or Deore XT Components.
Long live, no problems with wearing after all this jears since 2003. Good Hayes Disk Brakes on a tough MAVIC 223 rim.
And a lightweight frame.

Weaknesses:    Rides like a street/race bike with 26 wheels, if this is a weakness. Well, for more convinience a suspension seat post or a comfort saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great, grab it, if you can get one.

Submitted by Angus a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Frame design, Cranks, Colour, Durability

Weaknesses:    Wheels, mechanical Hayes Brakes, seatpost, Tires

Bottom Line:
Pretty much I have replaced everything on this bike (partly to turn it into a singlespeed) except for the frame, seatpost and stem. The hayes brakes are best removed when purchasing, I had them fail on me whilst racing. The Tioga Factory XC tyres are also best replaced asap. The set up and design of the frame however is one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden. I have raced enduro, singlespeed, XC all on this bike and it can do it all. Oh, somehow I managed to bend the seatpost without noticing, could be weak. I love it

Purchased At:   Unibicycles

Similar Products Used:   previous bike was a custom build

Bike Setup:   frame, White industries hubs, xtr v-brakes, rock shock Duke, Richey (front)/DT (Rear)rims, Easton bar, Brooks competition saddle, stock stem and seatpost. Running as a singlespeed

Submitted by Steve Hill a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, England

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    The Kona name. You know they'll take a beating and they were building decent kit way before most of the other large names.
I love the colour (although my friends like to make fun of it)
Very stable. Nice and stiff. Responsive. Rips through trails.
Pretty good components for the most part.
I was able to buy this for £870 in the UK in a sale. The list price was £1100.

Weaknesses:    The paint chips easily, but battle-scars show experience, right?
That seat is murder. I've done 5000 miles on this bike (daily commute to work) and it hasn't softened at all. I would hate to be in the saddle all day. (Off road doesn't count. :-)
Can easily whack the rear mech against the frame on the smallest drop. A lizard skin helps out here.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with a Kona. I've owned two now and I'd have to be seriously impressed to stray from the Kona brand.

Purchased At:   Halfords, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol

Similar Products Used:   2000 Kona Lava Dome, but that was stolen so I bought one of these instead.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I haven't replaced ANYTHING on this bike in 2 years apart from several chains and had the headset regreased. I aim considering changing the awful pedals (clipless with plastic flat converters) because they me down something chronic when riding off-road. I'm also thinking about a shorter handlebar stem for more rearward weight distribution and easier lifting of the front wheel when encountering obstacles and steep drops.

Submitted by shane a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Its a bloody KONA!!!!... confidence inspiring rig..never had anything go wrong with it yet in a years caning...excellent for climbing too(not that I attempt too much of this!!)

Weaknesses:    crappy tyres(tioga)..got rid of them !!....also not that impressed with brakes..so i've upgraded to Hope Minis and.....WOW!!!!...like having a NEW bike!...If this baby was good before..its SUPERB now..I advise anyone to do this also!!

Bottom Line:
Superb value for the cash.... and I think with lighter component upgrades ,when old ones are knackered...will be a TOP xc rig... you can get it for £600 now in England through PAULSCYCLES.co.uk I've noticed in latest MBR magazine..now THATS a bargain!!

Favorite Trail:   Quantock hills

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Kona Nunu....Saracen Havoc(4 tonnes of SH*te!!)

Bike Setup:   original ..except as previously mentioned brake upgrade...and xt front mech..and hope grip doctors

Submitted by Matt Winger a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    The bike is overall awsome. It is a super great bike for riders who are really starting to get more serious about cross country racing, but don't have enough money to aford a super high end xc racer.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness that i have found with the bike is its fork because it does not lock out it has alot of bob. Eventually i would replace

Bottom Line:
Awsome all around bike> great for XC, but can do some fun freeriding because its a KONA!

Favorite Trail:   Shorthills Provincial Park Trails

Purchased At:   Liberty Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   N/A (first good bike)

Bike Setup:   Deore everything except XT rear. Will up grade to XT

Submitted by Gareth a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    Bike comes standard with great gear, XT rear, Deore front, Bomber shocks, hayes disc brakes. Light-weight, great climber. Seemed to have bit of extra length in frame which makes it steadier and faster. Frame sizes and geometry really suit shorter person who wants a slightly larger frame (18" frame really suits me at 170cm) whereas other bikes I needed their 16" models which felt small. Still working to get best performance out of shocks (have to play around with air levels) but smooth operation.

Weaknesses:    Crap inner tubes and ordinary tyres but these are easily changed. Seat is bit hard.

Bottom Line:
For a newbie to the cross country scene, this bike was a godsend. Fast on the open road, great off-road, excellent specs and a good price (on sale). Look forward to many bone-crunching adventures on this bike. Excellent for beginners or intermediate riders. Excellent value for money on sale.

Similar Products Used:   Tested Jamis eureka, Raceline, Avanti Hammer all in the same price range but found Kona the best

Bike Setup:   Deore XT rear, deore front, hayes mechanical disc, bomber MXC shocks. Changed SPD pedals to standard platforms (personal preference)

Submitted by Dan Bergman a Weekend Warrior from Helsingborg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light, good components, disc brakes..

Weaknesses:    no extras.. (bottle holders,barends wich came on my old Marin IFT). The tires..

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike at this price.. Fast, easy to control. Some people may not like the riding style on it but it suite me like a glove. Feels somewhat like my old Marin IFT('93).. but a lot lighter.. My disc breaks still makes a lot of noise when breaking but it will hopefully go away.. Will replace Deore parts with XT stuff when they fail.. And it looks great.. ´02 Sandstone Metallic

Favorite Trail:   Sweden

Similar Products Used:   Marin Indian Fire Trail '93

Bike Setup:   Original but added barends

Submitted by Gordon a Cross Country Rider from Cairns, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Does just about everything right

Weaknesses:    I keep falling off the damn thing - my fault, not the bike!

Bottom Line:
Hey, I though my Caldera was a great bike until I tried the Pahoehoe. The bike is considerably more sure-footed than I am, and is very forgiving even of this old fart's lousy riding style. I'm convinced that it would be even better off without me on it. One of the main mods I've done on it is to fit a RockShox suspension seat post, which has done my back a great deal of good. At my age (55) you need all the help you can get.

Would I recommend a Pahoehoe? YOU BET!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere...

Purchased At:   The Bikeman Cairns www.bikeman.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a Kona Caldera 2001, before that an Apollo thingy, before that a Huffy Gila (*shudder*) that I kept for a whole six days...

Bike Setup:   Standard plus IRC Serac tyres, Nightstick lights etc

Submitted by sebastian from Cascadia Bioregion

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Strengths:    2000 model: strong, light frame. Nice paint job. Good selection of stock components.

Weaknesses:    As the frame is not made out of an exotic military-grade metal-polymer compound, it will not last forever.

Bottom Line:
The Pahoehoe that I have is the 2000 model, and Im sure that all I say holds true for the 2002 as well. In fact, the 2002 may very well be a more evolved, better version of the 2000!
Anyway, the bottom line: this is an awsome bike! It's strong, but light. The component selection is good for the average recreational rider...racers may want to upgrade to lighter components though. If the aformentioned upgrades were done, this bike would weigh in like a feather.
This bike can take a beating too. I have crashed this bike a number of times and have not done any permanent damage...to the bike or myself. Thats not to say that one should ride with impunity, it is an aluminum frame designed for XC - not downhill - and could get seriously funked up by a big enough tree or boulder.
This bike also has excellent geometry. Getting a bike that fit well (Im 6'2" 135lbs) was one of my top priorities, and the Pahoehoe fits like a glove. On this bike I have done more than a few 40+ mile on-road trips, with no major pain problems relating to riding position.
Who should buy this bike? If you are new to mountain-biking and want a solid, well-built bike, that wont need a lot of upgrades and is a great value for the money...this is the bike for you. If you are a racer or just demand high performance, this bike, with uprages to full XTR, would be the one for you. Hell, if you just want a truly kick-ass riding machine, my friend, the Pahoehoe is for you.

Favorite Trail:   trail near Big Creek campground

Purchased At:   Northwest Mountain bike (Tacoma)

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Paragon...rode around the shop parking lot...Jamis Dakar Expert...more parking lot riding

Bike Setup:   All stock except for platform pedals and stronger (wa-hoo!) but heavier (doh!) rear wheel (Mavic D-551)

Submitted by Pascal Bouchard-Phillips a Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    -Lightweight for a disk equipped bike (25.5 lbs)
-Amazing finish (gotta love that metallic colour)
-Cool CNC'd parts
-XT Rear derailleur
-Bomber MXC Coil fork is really, really good
-Handles and climbs super well
-Deore crankset is super stiff and hollowtech
-Hayes HMX-1s brakes are amazing: they brake almost as well as their Hydraulic brothers but they're cheaper and there's less maintenance involved
-No "no name" parts, lots of Koski parts
-That SDG Satellite looks sweet AND is comfy (on long rides)!
-LOOKS SWEET!
-It's a Kona!

Weaknesses:    -Deore front derailleur isn't quite on par with the XT rear
-Hayes Brakes have squeaked a teeny weeny bit in the rain but only during break-in
-Bomber MXC doesn't have the adjustability of an air fork (but that's a given)
-Should come with a Lizard skin because the paint chips FAST (I already had one but I think all bikes should come with them stock)
-Tioga tires can't beat my Michelin Wildgrippers
-Lots of parts are black and dirt and scratches show alot more than on silver
-Looks so good ppl want to steal it

Bottom Line:
It kicks ass:
-Cimbs even better than my old bike!
-FAST!
-Light!
-Handles really, really well!
-Alot for the $

Bottom line: If you're looking for a bang for the buck race ready bike with disc stoppers this is it! BUY IT! (I did)

Favorite Trail:   Power line