Kona Cinder Cone 2002 Hardtail

4.42/5 (33 Reviews)

Submitted by brian a Weekend Warrior from Ramstein, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    It's a simple solid bike with good components. The frame, wheels and gears have all be great.

Weaknesses:    I bought the 2003 model with Shimano "resin" brakes -- these brakes weren't up to the challenge. Hayes brakes would have been better. On steep decents the Shimano's would get so hot they'd warp! After replacing the rotors with after market stuff, things are better.

Bottom Line:
Except for the occasional brake trouble, I've really enjoyed the bike. It's solid and simple and performs very well in all but the most extreme conditions.

Favorite Trail:   boar hill

Purchased At:   Kona dealer, Ramstein Germany

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   XT rear, shimano brakes

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Cape Cod

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    2002 model in 21", very solid frame, Marzocchi EXR air fork functions better than expected for a lower line fork. Best bang for buck i have found for a slightly better than entry level cross country race bike. For $800, the shop helped me out with some upgrades to sell me the bike. Upgrades over stock are an XT rear derailuer and disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the grips(easily and cheaply remidied with a $8 set of ODI yeti hardcore grips) and the rear wheel was porly assembled and i broke several spokes on the disc brake side off of the hub and would constantly work its way out of true.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is the best value for entry level cross country race bike. With the upgrades i did, it is now comperable to bikes almost twice the price and the upgrades totalled me $230 to get it to that point(i lucked out with the upgrades...i was able to get deep discounts from my school team sponsers).

Bike Setup:   Changed rear derailuer to XT over the stock LX(done when purchased bike for free to get me to buy the bike), I ended up buying a new Sun Singletrack/XT disc hub wheelset with DT 14g spokes, New XT front derailuer, new grips, thomson seatpost and stem(highly recomend the stem upgrade!), and mechanical disc brakes(included in the upgrade from the shop i purchased at for no charge. Disc mechanisms came off a 2003 model Kona they were parting out).

Submitted by Jas Binson a Weekend Warrior from Lowsen. MI

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Good frame, components.
Weak fork.

Weaknesses:    Fork is a JudyTT...bottom line fork. SUCKS! constantly bobs and bottomed out a few times...until the seals broke

Bottom Line:
What really pissed off was when the fork busted on me Kona gave me the run around on getting fixed or replaced...finally I went to RockShox and they fixed it. But I got a Manitou instead. Hmmmm...geeee...If the engine fails on my car I don't have to take to who actually built the broke part...I take it to the dealer.

Favorite Trail:   Dascher

Purchased At:   Psycle Plus

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Rocky Mountain, KHS

Bike Setup:   Had to get a new fork

Submitted by Deater Sohan a Weekend Warrior from Alberton, WA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Solid components.

Weaknesses:    Frame is questionable. Front fork sucks. Customer service sucks.

Bottom Line:
The first frame cracked. Customer service was a pain to anything done and blamed me for 'riding too hard'! WTF! Anyway, they sent another frame for $200 and the bike shop swapped all the parts for free because they knew I got screwed. Other then that, the stock RS TT sux!
Since then, the bike has been solid, maybe the first frame was a fluke. If it wasn't for the $550, I wouldn't have bought it.

Favorite Trail:   South Estreon

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Updated front shock to Fox Vanilla. Stock

Submitted by Roland Kokke a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC Canada

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    Strength, value for the money

Weaknesses:    seat, grips, rear wheel

Bottom Line:
I'm 240 and use the bike mainly for commuting in the city, with occasional offroad use. I love the bike, I replaced my previous CinderCone with this one when it was stolen. I am pleased with the subsitution brakes, saddle and grips. The stock Kona grips are terrible. The bike handles comfortably for my size and is very durable. The Bomber fork is very good for the price. The spokes in the rear rim began to dome out the rim in some spots, with faigue/stress crack radiating from them. The rim was just replaced by the Rhyno Lite. The shifting has always been smooth and slick, and the LX brakes are very nice, though my next bike will have disk brakes. Overall, solid value

Favorite Trail:   Hornby Island

Purchased At:   Cove Bikes

Similar Products Used:   previous Cinder Cone

Bike Setup:   2002 CindeCone, Brakes changed to Deore LX and seat changed to Mountain Wilderness (I think) on purchase, grips changed to Serfa, Rhyno Lite rear rim.

Submitted by mark from vail colorado usa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Strengths:    price, color(black), weight, responsive

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
the guys at VBS (vail bicycle service) set the frame up singlespeed for me and i couldn't have asked for anything more. they blacked the entire thing out! Who need to shift gears? the frame climbs and descends great. i would recommend the frame to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   son of middle creek, vail

Purchased At:   wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   giant xtc se-2

Bike Setup:   singlespeed! raceface cranks and stem, fsa PIG headset, 03 zocchi Z1 freeride SL fork, avid disc brakes, ritchey pro seat post , 03' surly singulator....all black

Submitted by Katie a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    My review is for the 2003 cindercone since it's not on the site. All in all it's a great bike...the frame is light, it climbs amazingly well, the derailer is awesome and it shifts smoothly.

Weaknesses:    pedals, rims, and for some reason I'm having a problem w/ the disk breaks. I think its b/c I break more than I need to, but it seems like I always have to adjust them. I was even thinking of switching back to v-breaks. The strengths outweigh the weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I think the cindercone is an awesome bike and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone. If you have enough money up-grade to hydraulic disk breaks (or just buy a better kona x-country) and get new pedals. A lot of the complaints have been about the seat, however I think it's a decent seat and haven't had any problems. Overall a great light bike!!!

Favorite Trail:   any bby mountain trail

Similar Products Used:   none really, other than a cheap raleigh and a norco cross-country.

Bike Setup:   Stock, w/ new grips, and I'm hoping to get crank bros. candy pedals as soon as they come to canada.

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Portland,maine area

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    kickass brakes,derailurs,and sweet air shocks.

Weaknesses:    pedals seem like 5 dollar pedals but what do i know......

Bottom Line:
I have the 2003 model. They didnt put it on the site. I have been researching for hours at a time for about 3 months. Although no riding expert I would now call myself a bike shopping expert. GET THIS!!! better than anything I have seen for the price. Also consider NuNu(kona). Cant beat the deal and the look.

Purchased At:   Allspeed bike

Similar Products Used:   Kona NuNu, Haro extreme 8.1 or 8.2

Bike Setup:   stock... plus gary fisher speedometer and eventually looking to put on fender(pretty much cause of the looks) although they are nice to have.

Submitted by Steve B a Cross Country Rider from Schertz , Texas U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Light frame,good componets,awesome paint job,and strong for the money spent.

Weaknesses:    The saddle was horrible at first, but as my butt became hard as a rock and chapped, it became a little more bearable.

Bottom Line:
The Cinder Cone is a very good bike for the money. From the fork,( Marzocchi EXR Air ), all the way down to the drivetrain, my Kona kicks major A*@!!!! ( Just ask the guy that I smoked at Mc Allister Park last weekend ). Kona has got me hooked on their bikes and I will ride no other. I have done just as well on my $650 bike, if not better, than those out there sporting bikes at $2000. If you are looking for a great beginner bike, have about $800, then look no further than what Kona has to offer.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch, Texas

Purchased At:   Action Bikes , U.C., Texas

Similar Products Used:   A crappy brand o mountain bike I am too ashamed to name

Bike Setup:   Factory, except for the Titec Ithys XC race saddle ( the best I nave ever used, and the only I will ever use. ),and the Wellgo WAM-17 clipless pdeals ( also very good )

Submitted by Michael from Saratoga, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    good components, nice paint job.
THe marzocchi bomber is nice. Very well damped, and it's air sprung so it's adjustable.
THe bike is also very fast. THe power transfer seemes to be efficient.

Weaknesses:    It has threaded holes on the dropouts for a rack or fenders, but a rack conflicts with the disk brake mounts, so I had to leave it off.
THe wheels are horribly weak. They click and twang when they hit the ground hard and are already coming untrue.
the tubing is also only butted on the seat tube; the rest is straight guage, but I guess that's what you get at this price range. It's better than my previous bike, though, so it is not bad.
As other reviewers mentioned, the saddle is pretty bad, too. It is poorly padded and shaped weird.
Deore LX is not shifting completely smoothley for me but perhaps it has a break-in period or is not adjusted properly.
THe handle bars are a little wide but I got used to it.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for messing around and going on some demanding trails, while being affordable. THe before-mentioned weaknesses are all minor; over all, a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fremont Older

Purchased At:   Calabazas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   GT saddleback--horrible and cheap
Schwinn dualie--old and steal but comfortable
miscellaneous

Bike Setup:   stock, except the front wheel, I put on a deore hub, mavic 517 rim, wheelsmith spoked homemade wheel and I swapped out the saddle for an old bontrager I had. Both are better than the stock

Submitted by alan fisher a Cross Country Rider from halifax, england

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    light responsive frame, excellent forks and well chosen components giving good performance for the money smooth shifting deore gears, excellent avid brakes

Weaknesses:    paintwork looks great, but chipped and worn in usual places quickly, however uk importers promptly sent out some touch up paint so cannot complain about the back up

Bottom Line:
since buying the cindercone my confidence and ability have grown enormously, much thanks to the quality forks but helped also by light weight and other quality components. initially i thought the bars were too wide but a recent mtb marathon after a week of heavy rain in the area created lots of thick rutted mud, the width gave the leverage to remain in control of the bike.
far faster, more responsive and confident than anything else i have ridden off road, great for up to three hours after which i recommend a full susser, next bike may be a kona kahuna deluxe 2003, mostly the same equipment as the cindercone but with that rear suspension.
if you want a quality hard tail without breaking the bank you cannot be far off with the cindercone

Favorite Trail:   widdop moor gorple resevoir

Purchased At:   cycle gear, halifax england

Similar Products Used:   previous mtb dawes tamarak, also had fully rigid specialized hardrock, and carrera katmandu in the 1980s and 1990s. mtbs are still evolving and improving

Bike Setup:   immediately added spd pedals, titanium skewers and selle italia pro link saddle otherwise standard spec

Submitted by Rod Smith a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good frame and components

Weaknesses:    none i havent broke any yet!!!!!

Bottom Line:
this is a good bike for anyone who wants a nice ride with out spending alot of cash but a good bike to up graid without wasting monney i love my bike way to go KONA a bike for everyone !!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hydro cut

Purchased At:   Speedriverciycle

Similar Products Used:   blast caldaira cokinie wolverine

Bike Setup:   sram 9.0 fd/rd avid speed dile 7 avid mecanial disc 8in frount and rear bontriger f2000 seat zoom suspention seat post blt lights mavic 223 rims ritchy clipless peddels

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2003

Strengths:    Solid frame, good components, Marz Bomber fork!!! Good bike for the buck. Holds up after hard spills. :-)

Weaknesses:    pedals, 9-speed rear gets a bit quirky at times when shifting on trail. seat wasn't terrible, but wasn't comfy either - had to go.

Bottom Line:
solid bike. nice quality for the price. good for trail use. not an amazing downhill bike, but that isn't for me anyways! does everything i need it to do.

had it for a year now and no real problems. has taken some HARD spills with me and has stood up steady. marzocchi fork is awesome and takes almost everything the trail dishes out. much better with the spd pedals and new seat.

bottom line is to ride a bunch of bikes before you buy. this was the best for me out of the 8-10 that i rode. find your bike and find a great local shop. here in chattanooga, head to suck creek cycle - the folks there are friendly, know what they're doing, and really just want to help you out. enjoy!

Purchased At:   Suck Creek Cycle

Similar Products Used:   fisher, specialized, jamis, raleigh, giant - all different hardtail models

Bike Setup:   pretty much standard. added spd pedals and have played around with the stem setup. new seat too. might mess more with the stem and riser bar might go.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Maine

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great looks. The bike is great for a low end XC bike. The bike has great parts mostly.

Weaknesses:    The Pedals Had to go now i have some spds. The wheelsets also are not the best in the world i bent mine beyond repair.

Bottom Line:
Great bike is great for anyone period. Have riden this bike every where to work and back the trails somedrops. The bike has also held up to everything that i can dish out. Recoment highly to a XC Person. Not For Freeriding.

Purchased At:   725