Kona Chute 2002 Hardtail

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Harold Thomas a Downhiller from Boone, NC, United States

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Strengths:    Bomb proof frame!!! Great components that are equally tough. Great styling and geometry for freeride/downhill yet still lets you pedal uphill without killing yourself. Shimano XT derailure is precise and tough. Race Face cranks and bottom bracket is indestructable! Nice DH stem and handlebars. Very nice SDG seat. Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes will give you ultimate control.

Weaknesses:    Didn't like the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper fork that came on it. It was good for urban assault but packed up on the trail. The Tioga factory downhill tires are not the greatest, but its a cheap upgrade to get something better. A little on the heavy side, but if its weight you are worried about, then you are not a freeride/downhill rider and you should take your spandex somewhere else!

Bottom Line:
Sick A** bike!!!! I take this thing down the knarlyest downhill trails the Appalachian mountains have to offer. The bike is solid over every root and rock garden. This bike gives me the confidence to do anything and lets me keep up with my friends that ride full suspensions! If you are lucky enough to find a bike shop that still has one of these bad boys lying arounf BUY IT!! You will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   China Creek

Purchased At:   South Park Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stuff, Kona Roast, Specialized Hardrock...

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z150 FR 160mm, RynoLite Rim with 20mm thru-axle, 2.4" Kenda Blue Groove Tire, Hayes 8" rotors, everything else is stock.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    -sweet looking bike
-super rigid
-very responsive, handles well
-good cable routing (you may laugh, but who wants to clean and lube the wires every week?)
-excellent stand over height

Weaknesses:    - haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike! It handles incredibly well, and responds instantly. I have ridden off small stuff (2 1/2 feet) and if my 'launch' is bad, I can always correct it before I land. I have ridden some off the most technical trails I can find in town, and do better now than I did with my full suspension bike (which is where all the components came from for the Kona).

This bike accelerates like it was shot out of a cannon, and it inspires confidence. It climbs stairs remarkably well, and the wheelies down them with no problem. I'll be using it for everything: cross country (with the addition of a suspension seatpost for the longer rides), and light 'urban assault'. I can easily see myself doing four foot drops with it by the end of the year (once I get more solid rims); I have that much faith in it. More than I ever pictured myself doing with a hardtail (or some FS bikes)

Best of all, this bike is just plain fun to ride. I may buy a FS bike in the future (for those epic XC rides) but for everything else, the Chute kicks a**!

So, the bottom line is: If you are looking for a great hardtail, this is the one to buy. Incidentally, the Chute, Roast and Stuff all use the same frame. If a complete Chute is a bit rich for your blood, go for one of the others.

Favorite Trail:   Whiteshell area

Purchased At:   Bicycle Cafe

Similar Products Used:   - 2001 and 2002 Warp 2 (upgraded somewhat)
- crappy department store bikes

Bike Setup:   Nothing fancy: Bought the frame, then put on the components from my last bike: Deore front and back, Alivio shifters/brake handles, Tektro V brakes, Race Face DH cranks, SID 100 fork, Tioga Factory DH tires, Weinmann Zac 19 rims.

Submitted by wag a Weekend Warrior from victoria bc

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    bombproof, lighter than it looks, looks great.
geometry lets it fly downhill and handle tight stuff easily
it's a kona

Bottom Line:
i've built this bike to be "freeride light". i can jump and drop on it yet still go on 2-3 hour cross country rides, with some fun thrown in. for old school types who want a beefy do anything hardtail this may what you're after, i'm completely happy, cheers!

Favorite Trail:   highlands

Purchased At:   russ hay's

Similar Products Used:   i've ridden kona hardtails for years. i had a giant nrs but i missed the hardtail vibe

Bike Setup:   i built my bike up, it's mostly xt with a manitou black comp fork(so so)avid discs and race face prodigy cranks.

Submitted by Steve Boucher a Weekend Warrior from Prince George, B.C. Can.

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Strengths:    very strong,predictable,loves the airand going fast downhill

Weaknesses:    narrow chainstays(2000 model)

Bottom Line:
My bike weighs 36.5 pounds but feels like 25 pounds.You can fly downhill with the same confidence as a full suspension. When going for air go big, the bike will respond and love the rough treatment because afterall that's why kona built it. THANKS KONA! ideal rider would be any sick freerider who likes to go fast, big or trick it out.GREAT BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   anything on Cranbrook

Purchased At:   Mcbike

Similar Products Used:   2001model chute. norco250 and torrent

Bike Setup:   super T, race face ns cranks, tiogafact. dh2.3 2.5 tires intense mag 30 dh rims, stiffy stem, hayes disc brakes

Submitted by Webster a Downhiller from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Strengths:    This is one beefy bike...relatively light considering...performs on the downhills like a champ...you know exactly what it's going to do before it does it...it's just got a really solid feel to it

Weaknesses:    Yeah, that paint really does flake off easily. It also has a real weak or cheap sound when you "ping" the top tube or down tube.

Bottom Line:
The freeride hardtail...only hardtail worth having....trials, XC, DH...whatever you want to do with it, it'll be there.

Favorite Trail:   The Beast

Purchased At:   Frame only through East Coasters

Similar Products Used:   Only other bike I have ever owned was a 1999 Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z.1 MCR, Hope Minis, XT/XTR except for LX Splined Crank, King headset, Salsa Shaft, Easton Monkey Lite (27inch bar), Thomson Stem, Tioga DH, Time ATAC...looking for some good flats

Submitted by Cory from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Strengths:    Color, relative light weight of frame, tough!!

Weaknesses:    paint scratches easily.... um, that's it?

Bottom Line:
This bike kills! With the 5 inch fork, this thing is ready to tackle any drop. No XC'er here, so guys with shaved legs and lots of lycra need not apply. This bike is not efficient, heavy (when built with the right parts), had a bad climbign geometry, and bobs all over. These are good things, when ridden the way it should be. Proto Grey decals! I've owned a whole lot of bikes (i have about 5 now) and this one is hands down my favorite. Go out and drop some loading docks!

Purchased At:   The Touring Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Azonic, Trek Fuel 98, Kona Scab, lotsa stuff

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1, hayes hydraulics, XT/XTR, Race Face Northshore cranks, Race Face stem, King headset, Tioga DH 2.1 tires

Submitted by eaton nilsson a Downhiller from boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    I love this bike. It always feels like it knows what it's doing, I use it mainly for ds/ dirt jumping I've got a 15 inch and I love it even though I'm 6'4

Weaknesses:    First of all if you buy the whole bike throw everything in the trash except the handlebar/stem and wheels (the wheels suck but you always should have spare wheels) and then build it up with non-cheesy parts

Bottom Line:
ya gotta go kona baby!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   yo mommas

Purchased At:   I broke one so they sent me another one

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi, DT-Swiss hubs, Mavic 519's, MRP chainguide XTR Brakes and levers XT R.D.

Submitted by Ernie a Downhiller from Hasselt - Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    bombproof bike! It won't let ya down or break, keeps its line, sexy looks, great battle ship for the duals! And it loves downhill! It will eat anything you throw at it!

Weaknesses:    It's a bit at the heavy side (maybe because of the components used), it's not as lively as an Azonic DS-1 in the air (can't be corrected that fast), a bit pricy isn't?

Bottom Line:
I think there's is only one bottom line for this bike: I love it! I'm using this bike for about two years now on dirt tracks,dual tracks&races,urban assaults,downhill tracks and it's always a joy to drive it around on any of those tracks or surfaces. This bike had never let me down (keep fingers crossed), only the components of the bike had (poor Mavic x-country rims, chain device) And I think it's still the most pretty bike of the dual bunch out there (it was and is heavily copied its design)

Favorite Trail:   Chaudfontaine,Namen