Klein Attitude Comp Disc 2002 Hardtail

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Heath Kneller a Cross Country Rider from Allentown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    The bike is a smooth ride, and it looks great.

Weaknesses:    Constantly worrying about scrapes and scratches with such a nice paint job.

Bottom Line:
This is the nicest bike I've ever owned. I have road slicks as well and try to ride it to work as often as possible. It makes me want to ride, because it always looks so damn good! Excellent for hoping, climbing, rock to rock sections, and brakes allow one to push it very hard while descending. Klein has a really, really sweet bike here; for all riders.

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm riding

Purchased At:   Bike Line, Allentown

Similar Products Used:   trek 930 & voodoo bizango

Bike Setup:   duke xc shock, hayes hydrualic disc brakes, time atac pedals, xt drive train, & bontrager disc rims and hubs, panoracer tires. i think its about 27 pounds.

Submitted by Michael Dudley a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    I'll never by another cross country bike again. This set up is like a Cadillac!! I never was an excellent climber, but since piloting this Klein up the hills, I have new-found climbing strength. I switched a lot of stuff from the start because I previously had problems with certain manufacturers (like Manitou) that came stock with this bike. The Hayes discs and the superlite, beautiful frame were what I was after.

Weaknesses:    It's such a 'looker,' that I can't ride it through Brooklyn without someone trying to steal it right from under me. The only other problem I've had in the year I've owned this jewel is that the bolts holding the Hayes discs on are really cheap and keep coming loose and stripping.

Bottom Line:
Klein makes the absolute best bikes on the market ... I'm convinced. The only reason I'm buying another bike at this stage is that I've lost just enough brain cells to want to join in on the single-speed craze.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Bike Junkie

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra and Gary Fisher Super Caliber

Bike Setup:   Thompson seat post and stem, Flite Trans Am saddle, Chris King headset, Rolf Dolomite Disc wheelset, XTR derailleurs, Rock Shox SID front shock, Ritchey Pro-Logic pedals, Race Face Next Forged Cranks and Race Face chainrings

Submitted by Adam Bradshaw a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    Everything. Not had one problem yet. Cant think of one thing on it thats not GREAT. As far as components go they are fine, no different to any other bike. But what about that frame. Colour, cable routing, shape blahh....even has a chain suck device already bolted on. I LOVE MY BIKE!

Weaknesses:    Nothing. Apart from its so damn good looking i dont want to ride it incase i get it muddy or scratch it!!!

Bottom Line:
Never want another bike as long as i live.

Similar Products Used:   trek 8500

Submitted by Kurt a Cross Country Rider from Seattle,Washington

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Hayes Hydraulic Disc brakes are awesome for stopping if you choose to. Super light frame and beautiful paint job on it.

Weaknesses:    The Manitou Shock isn’t the greatest and neither is the customer service. I had a defect in the shock, found after I took my first ride and 6 months later I’m still waiting for a replacement part. Would rather have a Shimano Crank set up rather than the Bontrager

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and the only things that aren’t perfect on it are easily upgradable, but I’ll wait until I wear the component on it out.If you’re not going to take this beauty and use it seriously go with the lower model Attitude. While this bike is a beauty it begs to be taken to the limit

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Montlake Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Yeti, Specilized, Novara

Bike Setup:   Stock so far except added Shimano Flight Deck for mountain bikes.

Submitted by Sizzlechest a Cross Country Rider from Manchester UK

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    This is great. Sell everything, yourself if need be, to buy this bike. Nicest frame i've ever seen, nicest bike i've ever ridden. And it's all mine. Spec is better than last year's offering with better fork (Rockshox Duke XC instead of last year's Manitou SXR, the Rockshox has much better tracking and is less likely to leak. And this year's model has 3-cross spoke lacing rather than the flimsy radial policy from last year. Tweaked frame, too. Perfection). In fact, rather than write a long review, I'm gonna go and ride it right now. It's that good.

Weaknesses:    Keeping it out of the sight of would-be thieving scrotes when riding home thru town. And my face aches after a bit from so much smug grinning.

Bottom Line:
Well done Mr Klein, you are a genius.

Favorite Trail:   Standedge Moor

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, C'dale

Bike Setup:   As stock except 959 pedals & Lizard Skins everywhere.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Wow! This bike is simply amazing! A rocket ship on uphill section, carves up singletrack and beats the crap outta me with its super stiff ride! I love this bike. The Hayes Hydros, though I don't use them often, are great to take away that inevitable speed so that I can avoid pissy hikers and crapping horses. Drivetrain is good enough for me, an LX grouppo with an XT rear derailleur, shifting is super-smooth. I doubted the utility of 9-speed, but so far I haven't had a single problem. I also love the geometry of this bike. My medium almost has a 17" seat tube and the frame just feels so light and compact. The Bontrager Race Disc wheels are excellent. No hub problems to speak of after many miles. Maybe that because I don't pressure wash my bike like some idiots on this board. Full cartridge bearings and disc-specific rims. I've really bashed on these wheels and I haven't had to true them since their first "break-in" truing. And guess what? They're NOT tubeless! Just what I like.

Weaknesses:    Well, I guess according to the previous poster, I'm a recreational yuppy who doesn't ride often. More on that later. I was worried at first at to what more rocket fuel would cost me. I figured that this bike had to have some sort rocket booster on the back or NOS system, but Klein claims that there is no such thing! What the heck! Rear brake did have a problem with severe vibrations, which was solved by a free torque arm provided by Trek. Not to worry, if you have a disc-equipped Trek, Klein or Fisher and the rear brake is making noise, just politely ask your dealer to contact Trek and order one for you. Many of the later-model 02' bikes already have them and 03' shouldn't need them. Small price to pay for excellent braking power. The paint job, though decently tough, makes you cry when it gets scratched. I've already dinged my non-driveside seat stay. Oh well, atleast there's a good story behind it, not something lame like when I was getting of my bike rack.

Bottom Line:
So....back to the yuppie thing. Mr. Sprocketeer thinks that this bike is only a recreational bike. Hmmm....I've put close to 1000 miles of dirt riding on this bike in the 4 or 5 months that I've had it (I'd do more if I could), I plan on racing on it, I've crashed it several times, and I have flat out pushed it to the limits and I just can't stop riding it! I'm hardly a yuppie at all. I drive an 85' Honda Civic thats less expensive than my bike. So I guess this isn't the right bike for me? Hey, atleast I actually OWN this bike. "Tested or Demoed only" shouldn't even be an option for these reviews, because you get wanna-be industry "insiders" that go to bike expos, ride them inside a hotel lobby for 5 minutes and then say the bike looks "sexy" or "rides great" or "is a yuppie bike". What a crock-a-sh!t. If I want to see a review like that, I'll just pick up a copy of Mt. Bike Action or something.
Everytime I see this bike sitting in my garage it screams to be ridden. I've been tempted to commute on it, but I'm afraid if a car hits me or something, my only good mountain bike is gone forever! (I'm a poor soon-to-be college student). So I'll stick to the cheap commuter bike for now. I can't wait to start racing once I'm at school in Eugene, this bike would make an awesome racing bike!
Definetly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a light, stock, racing or fast XC bike. The discs are nice, but consider whether or not you really need them for the money or the type of riding you're doing. I consider them a necessity. Otherwise a great value, excellent frame that is worthy of upgrades (same frame as the Attitude and Attitude Race) so you can upgrade it to full XTR if you wanted to and not feel like your putting good parts on a cheap frame. About $1750 is a good price for this bike, especially if you ride long 30+ mile rides in harsh weather conditions or with steep descents, and the non-disc one at about $1400 is excellent considering you can get a stock bike that weighs a little less than 25 lbs. That's raceable to me!

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast, hard and scary.

Purchased At:   Employee purchase

Bike Setup:   Psylo Race fork at 80mm, Easton Monkey Lite XC, Conti Vertical Pro in front, Michelin WG Hot S in back. Changed seat to a Specialized Body Geometry. That's personal preference. The Bontrage seat is a little to fat and soft for my skinny, bony @ss. About 25 and a quarter pounds w/discs, not bad!

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (Native New Yorker)

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    A really great frame design which gave me as nice a ride as some professional Trek team bikes I tried. Definitely top of the line.

Weaknesses:    For less money you can get a Trek 8000, 2002 model, which comes with better components, is lighter, and uses the same frame material.

Bottom Line:
When I first saw this bike last winter, hanging on a display rack like some holy idol in my local pro shop, while other people were drooling over some monsterous, suspension-up-the-ass glitter bike out front, I stood in awe, drooling on my shoes, staring at the Klein Attitude Comp for at least thirty minutes of hallowed silence.

It's got the sweetest frame design I've ever seen, and if I was only talking frame, I'd compare it to maybe a Ferrari Testarrosa (sp?)

I could kick myself for taking it for a demo ride, because before I went to the bike show I was absolutely decided on a Trek 8000, but it took me a component by component comparison some days later to see that I would be getting less bike for more money if I bought the Klein compared to the Trek 8000.

The ride was absolutely excellent on the Klein, but sense tells me to buy the Trek 8000.

Bottom Line: The Klein Attitude Comp features one of the best frames available in its general price range, but it's a yuppie bike for high end recreational riders who have a lot of money to blow.
SPECIAL NOTE: The Attitude frame is the same on all the Attitude series models, so I would consider the frame set alone as a best buy of 2002.

Favorite Trail:   in Japan, you really have to blaze 'em yourself

Purchased At:   Sunshine Building, Ikebukuro, Tokyo, bike show

Similar Products Used:   I've never sprung for a new bike before, though I'm getting a Trek 8000 this spring, and all the bikes I've used, aside from the frames, have been pretty much designed by myself.

Bike Setup:   I'm currently using a Trek, Cro-Moly, race geometry frame, with no original parts on it. Shimano race-level components.