K2 Zed 4.0 2002 Hardtail

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Solid bike for beginers and light weekend warriors. Colors look cool.

Weaknesses:    I've had major problems with the shock. It bottoms out when peddling and leaks oil. Factory is trying to fix it. I find the gear shifters to be in the way of my thumbs. I would like to see disk brakes on the bike for the price. Stock seat sucks, get a new one.

Bottom Line:
Ok bike for the price and like I said above, a solid bike for beginers and light weekend warriors.

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Haro, Cannadale, K2

Bike Setup:   Out of box stock.

Submitted by Detrix Ho a Weekend Warrior from Irvine,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    It is a pretty good bike for weedend worriors! Compare the price with the other bikes, it has the best parts which comes with the bike!

Weaknesses:    The weight is a little heavy. You have to do some loss weight before release the real performance of the bike.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike very much. You can find a lot of fun by riding this bike whether you ride on the road or mountain! I don't suggest for beginners.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike shop

Bike Setup:   Hayes Comp disc brakes
F&R wheel set with disc mount(you got to change the orignal wheel set before install the disc)
Carbon Fiber drinks holder

Submitted by banda a Cross Country Rider from athens ga. u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    frame,seat,derailleurs, brakes

Weaknesses:    stock tires, the fork isn't bad but on a scale of 1 to 10 i'd give it a 7.

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike. stock tires should not be sold in the south east u.s.other tan that, i could not find a better bike after months of searching at the price. The components sold me.plus the upgradability is a plus. probably the best sub-$1000. hardtail, or mountain bike altogether sold in this country.

Purchased At:   dixons on baxter

Similar Products Used:   trek 6700, diamondback topanga

Bike Setup:   stock.......for now

Submitted by Aaron Walker from Chandler

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    Good Solid Frame. For the money, it's a great 7005 Aluminum built. Will be a great bike for anyone who needs to grow skill-wise, but upgrade group-o

Weaknesses:    WTB seats are generally heavy- 400g. I think that the other weakness is the decision to use Tektro brakes.

Bottom Line:
Again, a great bike for the intermediate rider. It fit my needs for a respectable frame to build up. Bought one for my wife to get the skills down on and plan on building hers up as the skill level increases.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail, Tahoe

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, etc.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much kept the frame, rims and tires. Added XT/ Sram ESP 9.0 Drivetrain, XT V-brakes, upgraded handlebar and seatpost to Easton Carbon, Speedplay frogs pedals and some older, lighter Race Face cranks. Rock Shox fork.

Submitted by Don Bergman from Lubbock, TX

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    This bike came with a good component group for the price. The shifting is hell-a-smooth. The brakes are adjustable so they can be cushy or stout (I prefer stout). And who can deny the "lunar green" paint on this thing!?

Weaknesses:    Don't even sit on the WTB seat! I rode on the seat for a week straight and voted it off the island in favor of one of those good ol' nut-hole seats. Much better. (What did you expect from the stock seat anyway?)
I thought the fork should have been a little more stiff but it turns very true. It's adjustable so you can twist the little knob and stiffen or soften the shock to your liking. You can also change the oil if you prefer a different grade. Overall though, I respect the Six.
Other than those, I discovered that the seat post that came with this bike is too short for me. I'm 6'0" and I need about 50mm more in the post for the minimum insertion.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike at a respectable price. If you need something to ride pretty often and don't want to pony up mega cash for your ride, this bike has been a pretty good solution for me. I ride mine everyday about 4 miles on the Lubbock streets and have done some pretty good trails in Cloudcroft, NM with it and have had nary a complaint about the bike.

Purchased At:   Paul's Parts, Lubbock, TX

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a Lefty (just to get that freak-out feeling of looking down and only seeing half a fork!), other Cannondale bikes, Yeti, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher. Most of these I rode just to see if I could tell a couple-hundred-dollar difference in the bikes...not so much...

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock...It's mostly a commuter to and from campus (GO TECH!) so I haven't hopped it up too much:
Nut seat (gotta love ergonomics)
Toe baskets (suicide clips)
Lizard skinned from hour one
Innertubed to protect it from the bike rack idiots and to hide the *infamous* K2 name :-)
Vetta Cycloputer so I can tell how fast I was going when I hit that tree

Submitted by Pete a Racer from Athens, GA US

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    Great Bike, Highly recommended. Mechanically Sound Bike

Weaknesses:    Chain Broke with less than 75 miles of use. Was fixed at Dixon's Bike shop and not other problems since. The stock tires work great in the dry summers, but had to be replaced for the wet Georgia Fall and Winter.

Bottom Line:
Was worried about spending so much money for this bike after only paying $200 for my old trek 820, but to my suprise it was a great investment. This bike has great components and I love the gear changer. This is a great bike for someone wanting to take the next step and really get into Mountain Biking. This bike it too good for a weekend warrior, this bike is for someone that is going to ride nearly everyday. My bike has been riden 3-5 times a week for 6 months and has held up great. If you live in North East Georgia you should buy your K2 or Trek at Dixon's in Athens, they give free life time tune-ups.

Favorite Trail:   Oconee Haritage Park

Purchased At:   Dixon's 1-800-GOBIKE1

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock except pedals

Submitted by Rachel a Cross Country Rider from Lincolnshire, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Teriffic off-road, but quite comfortable and smooth on asphalt as well. All stock componants are fine quality. All around excellent value.

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses. My only complaint - the bike lacks a quick-adjust seat.

Bottom Line:
I could not be more pleased with my K2 Zed 4.0. It was a phenomenal value. I rode about a dozen bikes in my search for new wheels, and nothing came close to the K2. In the short time I've had the bike, I've taken it on gravel bike paths, through forest preserves and nature trails, and out around town. It has performed wonderfully on all surfaces, and is quite comfortable on longer rides. I recommend it without reservation.

Favorite Trail:   Des Plaines River Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock, but for pedal upgrade

Submitted by BILL a Cross Country Rider from OKLAHOMA CITY

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    GREAT ALL AROUND PACKAGE. COULD NOT BE BEAT FOR PRICE ,BAR NONE. PEOPLE AT CELESTIAL BIKE SHOP ARE THE MOST HELPFUL PEOPLE IN THE AREA . THANKS CHRIS AND SHERIDAN.

Weaknesses:    NONE.

Bottom Line:
THE K2 LINE SEEMS SOLID AND WORTH A LOOK. THIS IS THE BEST HARDTAIL VALUE OUT THERE. AND CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT OKC,S BEST BIKE SHOP. SPENT ALOT OF MONEY AND THEY MADE ME FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT..

Favorite Trail:   CLEAR BAY

Purchased At:   CELESTIAL CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   SPECIALIZED , TREK , SCHWINN AND CKED OUT THE REST..

Bike Setup:   STOCK SEEMS RACE READY AND READY FOR ANYTHING.

buying K2 ZED 4.0 need help!!!

hey guys.. i'm looking to get into mountain biking this year.. decided to start looking around for a good deal on craigslist.. I want to find something that's cheap enough to where if I find out I don't stick with it im happy with still owning the bike for the amount I ride it. But good enough t ... Read More »

NEW GUY.. buying first bike k2 zed 4.0

What would you pay for a 2004 K2 ZED 4.0?

In great condition... Specs: Brakes: Tektro linear-pull brakes, Avid AD 3 levers Front Forks: Answer Manitou Axel Comp, 80mm travel Shift Levers: Shimano Deore RapidFire Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX Shimano PD-505 pedals Frame Size: 14" Thanks..Read More »

K2 ZED 4.0 vs GF Mako vs Trek 3900

Hey Guys, Which of the 3 would you consider the better overall bike and all 3 are in pretty great condition? Trek 3900 (2006) Gary Fisher Mako (2007) K2 ZED 4.0 (2004) Thank you!Read More »

Trek 3900 vs GF Mako vs K2 ZED 4.0