K2 Brass Monkey 2002 Hardtail

Submitted by Unipedal a Downhiller from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Strengths:    Strong strong strong. I am a 205lb rider who rides ledges over 5' and frame is fine. It climbs like a goat. I haven't tried to climb trees with it, but it might just make it.

Weaknesses:    Killed the Black fork. Seals blown out and entire bottom piece needs to be replaced. Headset's a little tempermental. Big chainring is cheap aluminum and bent beyond repair with not much of a hit.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Nicely spec'd when I bought it. Haven't had to replace much. Highly recommend it to bigger guys, those looking to show some technique and go at least as big as your buddies with full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Washington Univ. Campus

Purchased At:   SuperGo in LA

Similar Products Used:   C'Dales (prophet, chase), Konas (coiler, stinky, dawg, bear, scab, scrap), you know... the usual suspects for urban riding

Bike Setup:   '05 Marz MX Comp w/ETA (best fork I've ever owned - bar none), Kenda 2.6" Stick-Eez front and rear, Hayes Hydraulic discs, XT hubs, XT front and rear deralleurs(?) and shifters, no silly motocross splashguard up front

Submitted by Luke from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, rigid frame! No flex anywhere. Great freeride, urban, dirt jumping capabilities, 3D dropouts, higher than usual BB shell, .

Weaknesses:    Ok for an XC bike but frame tends to be a bit short for hard, tight cornering, could use a 1.5 head tube.

Bottom Line:
This frame is seriously almost as stiff as a BMX bike. Its tough as nails and you won't see a bit of flex out of it. I'm 220 lbs and with most XC hardtails I get a lot of flex out of the chainstay. This bike is SOLID. Geometry of the frame is perfect for dirt jumping and drops, it feels so much better in the air than any XC or FS bike I have rode.
Get this frame and your wheels will need truing more odten because it gives you the confidence to go bigger.

Find myself putting my foot down more often on hard tight cornering when riding XC. Def. doesn't "track" as well on the corners as my kona XC hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   mercer

Similar Products Used:   Kona kikapu XC frame

Bike Setup:   LX rear der, single 32 up front, Sun singletrack wheels, Avid mech. discs, race face evolve DH crankset

Submitted by andre 3000 a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Strengths:    great light frame, easily jumps, can keep up with people who ride DS bikes

Weaknesses:    magura brakes arent very good

Bottom Line:
simply awesome, love it and everyhting about it except some of the stock parts, great for any kind of riding.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   Supergo Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Haro Escape 5.0

Bike Setup:   stock :(...plannin on throin in new brakes/discs/tires/maybe a new derrailleur

Submitted by walter weaver a Downhiller from fukuoka

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    Light,stiff frame.Good componenet choice,black,white and gold seat.Really solid.

Weaknesses:    Black forks are are a bit light,six inch discs only,paint work is a bit gash.Tyre clearance is not too great.

Bottom Line:
I was thinking of getting a P3 but Trev showed me the B-monkey. I was a bit tired of carrying a massive dual-sus bike up my favourite trails so got this bike. Soon found out that riding a monkey makes you think a bit more and is a load of fun!!I would recommend this bike to anyone who would like to get their skills up.Take it to your favourite trail, and instead of using you DS bike,get on a monkey's back for a few runs.Then get back on your DS bike and go a load faster.
A great bike!Loads of fun!!Get a Monkey......

Favorite Trail:   romper room

Purchased At:   Trev's dicount cycling

Similar Products Used:   I ususally ride a DS bike

Bike Setup:   stock apart from the fork and front disc rotor which I swapped over for a Mazzochi Z3 and a Hayes 8 inch rotor

Submitted by Jo_E from Peru

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff, no flex, easy to maneuver in air, confident builder, what more can you ask in a bike?

Weaknesses:    tire clearance

Bottom Line:
This bike is sick, im a dual suspension rider and i suddenly got this bike. i built it up to build some different technique and now i drop from higher, jump better, land smoother and the b-monkey will get you to rocket those bermed curves. Now that i built my dual suspension again i feel everything smoother its just incredible my fluidity has improved 110% the only drawback is that im getting used to pedal bob but anyways... im winning so i dont care about pedal bob. The b-monkey also made me return to my xc starts, i did some trails again started to build the stamina i need. By the way although this frame is a ht you can dh it as a dream you just have to go for the softer lines and you'll get it done. i could write for ages about this bike but i gtg... any questions email me...

Similar Products Used:   trek bruiser, trek 4000 series, kona scab (and other kona HT), de la cruz frame, azonic ds-1

Bike Setup:   b-monkey frame, marzocchi mr t, mavic d321 rims, xtr bb, answer protaper bars, azonic shorty stem, e13 chain guide, xtr cranks, marzocchi front hub, xt rear hub, hayes brakes, titec berker seat (sick color) xt shifter, xt derailleur, diamondback pedals (oftenly switched to shimanon p646 depending on the riding)

Submitted by Joe Stump a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is built like a tank, similiar to my DS-1 but much better in my opinion. The BB is high at 12.1 great for hopping logs etc. The graphics and paint are cool as well. Everything was well placed and easy to build. The way it sits just feels great once you are in the saddle. Very stiff. Peddles uphill like a tank.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I did not like was the original head set on the frame. Very cheesy.

Bottom Line:
More then I could ever imagined for the money. This is the first bike that I have owned that just feels great to ride. Very stiff and probably would be great for jumping. I know its one hell of a XC bike.

Favorite Trail:   Loch

Similar Products Used:   Azonic DS-1, Trek 9800 ( feels way better then any of my carbon bikes ) Trek Y-22

Bike Setup:   Monkey frame, XTR components, Judy xc shock(performing well to my surprise) Answer, Scuzzy headset xpedeo peddles

Submitted by Devyn Pelley a Downhiller from Marietta GA USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Strengths:    Strength, Stability, FUN, Design, Graphics. THis thing cannot be snapped! I love it to death! Fast as hell great bike. DIdnt like its stocked parts so i just bought the frame and built it myself.

Weaknesses:    TIRE CLEARANCE!!!! I Have 2.4's on ther and that about max i can put on it. Any wider and it rubs!

Bottom Line:
Great bike for any money. Buy it 4 Urban Asualt, Dirt Jumping, Freeride or Dual Slalom.

Favorite Trail:   Mansel

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Specalist that's it!

Bike Setup:   01 B-monkey Frame, 01 marzocchi z1 dropoff qr20, Double wides, XT f+R deraliers Casette, Avid Mec. Disk Brakes, Gremica S8 front, Tompson post and stem, Titec bezerck seat, Deore cranks, and i have a 01 truvative Husselfet II chain guide but i cant get it to fit!

Submitted by Joel Grout a Downhiller from manchester ct usa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    man this thing is great i can kill everyone on the down hill and not hafta worry about the damage i am causing doing it. I put some shimano 545 downhilling peadals on it and got stiffer springs for a 190 lb person. There is nothing that can stop me now. THis bike is very stiff and smooth it rides like a dream.

Weaknesses:    There are two things i can complain about the sqeaky disc brakes and the soft spings.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great it is like riding a huge dirt jumper that can take anything you throw at it. It has wide tires and great rims. ON my last bike i spent well over 2300 dollars on it and it still isn't half as nice as my brass monkey. The brass monkey is a great trials bike. I wanted a reliable bike and I blieve i have found just what i am looking for. WOOOOOOHHHHOOOOO.

Favorite Trail:   birch mountain

Purchased At:   pig iron bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher mountain bike

Bike Setup:   my bike is setup with 545 clipless pedals which were also a great value and 60 psi in the tires. I put new grips on it and metal bar caps instead of the plasic ones. I am 190 pounds and the stock springs in the black fork don't cut it they arnt' stiff enought so i got stiffer ones and now the ride is much beter.

Submitted by Bruno a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame, killer hydraulic disc brakes, smooth shifting. Very good 3-way adjustable suspension.

Weaknesses:    Curved pedals not conducive to toe clips.

Bottom Line:
I had a mouthful of mud for the first two weeks I owned this bike because I just couldn't stop grinning while riding it! Easy to catch some good air as it is fairly light. And stout. Man, is it stout. The bike will save you if you have some minor flaws in your riding technique. It is a confidence builder. The components are all excellent and are put together well. The boom tube is fantastic, adding to an overall stiff feeling. I ride almost every day and this bike is a dream. The only thing I am going to do is change the pedals so I can get some toe clips on it. If you are a cross-country rider, this is a good bike for you. If you are a serious hucker, this is a good bike for you. I prefer hardtails for going up hills, and this bike has not disappointed me in any way yet.

Purchased At:   Tempe Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Wheeler 7900ZX

Submitted by Aaron Grisham a Weekend Warrior from Waldorf, Md, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    incredibly stiff, relatively lightweight (once built) compact geometry inspires rider to take to the air. over built gussets combined with tapered downtube scream reliability under the most demanding situations. Well thought out placement of cable guides for both disk and v brakes.

Price! 200.00 for the frame from ediscountbikes.com...189.00 for the 2001 RockShox Psylo XC (125mm) and the rest of the parts were from a GT that needed to be retired.

Weaknesses:    rear v brake placement is a drag. XT's tend to pole out a little much even with the inner shims removed.

Bottom Line:
This bike begs to be riden hard, the squared stays and overwelded gussets, with tapered downtubes look and feel burly. The bike is confidence inspiring, first time out was doing 5-6 foot drops onto concrete with no complaints from the bike, 20 ft stair gaps were no problem (front end is a little heavier than my other ride so it will take some time to get used to).

STIFF STIFF STIFF and oh did I mention, STIFF, there is no flex in this bike anywhere. I cant wait to get it in the dirt, so far have just been sessioning in Downtown D.C.

The price of the frame was a steal. The fork was the same, although I am upgrading to a stiffer spring.

This is a great bike for urban assualt, dirt jumping (if you dont like riding 20 inch bikes that is) and just plain cruising.

Favorite Trail:   patapsco valley state park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first Hardtail Freeride bike, my other freeride bike is a 2001 Cannondale Jekyll with Sun Mammoth Rims.

Bike Setup:   LX shifters / XTR brake levers / XT rear derailluer (short cage), 2001 Rockshox Psylo XC (125mm),KORE B52 lelite stem, ahead headset (BMX type), Titec Hellbent riser bars, XT v brakes, Sun Mammoth Rims with tapered gauge spokes, WTB motoraptor 2.4 tires. XT hollowtech cranks, XT front derailluer.

K2 Brass Monkey HT

[FONT=Verdana]Is there any demand out there for a new brass monkey frame? [/FONT]Read More »

Brass Monkey

[FONT=Verdana]Is there any type of demand for a new Brass Monkey frame?[/FONT]Read More »

K2 Brass Monkey

Hi im new, and ive kinda wondering does anyone know abt the k2 brass monkey? i wanted to know the good points and bad points abt it. for urban and jumping =]] and is the brass monkey better or flying monkey? -FrostBitten+Read More »

Beefed Brass Monkey

I put a lot of time and money building this frame up to be my freeride hardtail. ebay Brass Monkey frame Marz. Z1 freeride fork Azonic Outlaw wheels Raceface Diabolus handlebar hussefelt stem FSA pig DH pro headset Raceface Evolve DH crankset E-13 SRS chain guide sinringle ZUZU pedals de ... Read More »

Sorta Spam: Wanted-01 Brass/Flying Monkey..

Anyone have an 01 brass or flying monkey frame in good shape they want to part with? PM me... Sorry for the spam, but this looks like a killer bike, and it can't hurt to have one of these laying around. :) btw - looking for the m/l size..Read More »