Haro V3 2002 Hardtail

4.22/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by nhrider90 a Cross Country Rider from nh

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2009

Strengths:    nice bang for your buck, sturdy

Weaknesses:    fork and crank set

Bottom Line:
a great beginer bike, i messed up my fork the first year from jumping it. this bike was made for xc, so if thats all you do its a great bike. also the crank arm hollowed out, but i got new ones and kept them tight and havent had any problems yet.

Favorite Trail:   fomba single tracks

Purchased At:   cycles etc.

Bike Setup:   stock 04

Submitted by Kat from Bridgewater, NJ 08807

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Good components, good looks.

Weaknesses:    Overbuilt frame makes for a semi-heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike...good components...shifting is super smooth. No problems yet...but I don't abuse it too much. Only downside is the weight because the frame is so overbuilt making the bike a little hard to handle (but I'm a small rider) Overall an awesome value for anyone entering riding who wants a dependable bike that's going to hold up.

Purchased At:   Sports People, Far Hills, NJ

Bike Setup:   No upgrades yet...I'm a teenager...I have no cash.

Submitted by Doug a Downhiller from Longmont, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable bike with good components. Nice eye-catching design.

Weaknesses:    Front Derailler is a bit finicky.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an incredible value. If you can find a bike with better perofrmance and components for even the list price of $400, buy it. But I doubt you will.

Purchased At:   Galyan's

Submitted by Jim Caulfield a Weekend Warrior from Shenandoah PA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Great light weight bike, rock shox fork, tru vativ crank, sun race cassette, shimano deore and acera derailleurs alix DM18 rims, eye catcher, fun to ride, shifts fast, lot of bang for the buck.

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. The bike is very comfortable on
long rides. I'm very fussy on looks and this bike is perfect. Its fun to ride and it turns heads.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Wellers Bike Shop, Pottsville PA. Best bike shop in Schuylkill Co.

Similar Products Used:   Giant boulder se

Bike Setup:   from the shop

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great value, its components, style and feel.

Weaknesses:    None seen so far

Bottom Line:
My previous bike was stolen, (a Trek with similar components), and being self-employed in this economy, I did not want to spend the $500-600 necessary to replace it. After looking everywhere, (including at used bikes on ebay), I can tell you this is a rare find. It performs and looks like others in that price range--but costs significantly less. The cool thing about it is that in a mountain biking mecca like this (Boulder, CO) my Haro gets comments of respect from hardcore mountain bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Betaso

Similar Products Used:   Specialized RockHopper, Trek 4900

Bike Setup:   Stock. I may get a second set of tires for the street.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    Good, solid bicycle. Pretty comfortable. Very good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Gearing shifts hard and is slow to respond. I had this adjusted but there are still times that shifting SLAMS into place.

Bottom Line:
This bike hasn't been on the trails yet...but it has ridden well on the road and is comfortable for longer rides. Excellent entry level bike...I have no real complaints. I wanted a well priced bicycle to ride to work and occassionally on the trails and this is the bike I picked. Probably the best bang for your buck at this price range (and even a bit higher!). I did a lot of research before I bought this bike and I found this to be the best value I came across.

Favorite Trail:   None yet

Purchased At:   Gear Works Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Tested Giant, GT and a few others I can't remember

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Oak Lawn

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Strengths:    really solid frame, and decently light for the price.

Weaknesses:    Changed the stem for more agressive riding. Other than that, no problems so far

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the money. I did a lot of looking around to see what i can afford (i am a broke college student). The bike is solid, and the parts are better than the Gary Fisher Marlin (which won the choice award). I would recommend this bike to any beginner looking for a good quality bike for a low price.

Purchased At:   Terry's Bike Haus

Bike Setup:   Stock except for an Easton stem.

Submitted by Bo Sutton a Downhiller from Orlando, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    All of the components have held up under very tough riding. I am amazed at the durability of this bike. It also looks pretty sweet too.

Weaknesses:    For this price I cannot complain about anything.

Bottom Line:
Hats off to Haro. I have ridden my bike in the mid-west and now the southeast. The bike has handled everything that I have subjected it to and that is no small feat. Regular tune-ups are a must to keep the bike in top condition. This is the case for any bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bellview

Similar Products Used:   Haro V2, Fuji

Bike Setup:   Stock. Semi regular tune-ups will decrease all your problems.

Submitted by Rebecca a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good components for the price, UNBELIEVABLY comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake was a bit sketchy the first time out; broke the adjustment knob for the Rock Shox Judy TT fork with the very first attempt at changing travel....

Bottom Line:
I got hooked on mountain biking after a trip with friends. I fell in love with my rental...a Santa Cruz full suspension; realizing I couldn't drop that kind of cash - I started looking for something I could learn on and not destroy in short order...without spending my life savings.

I researched and demo-rode exhaustively...and had looked for a bike for months (bike shops, e-bay, mtbreview classifieds, etc.). The Kona Nunu is a great bike with great components, but was a bit pricey at $550 or so.

On a fluke, I went back to the bike shop AGAIN...and the 2003 Haros were brand new on the floor. The setup of this bike was perfect - I could feel it in the first 60 seconds of the test ride. Took it on the trail and managed to break the fork (adjustment knob - no biggie, it's being fixed and I rode for hours without it) and experience brake problems - just a matter of a quick tune-up. Four falls and a handful of bruises later...the rest is history. I love the bike!

I'll be at Tsali (NC) for three days this weekend and write a follow-up if I have anything significant to add. In the meantime, definitely give this bike a once-over if you're looking for a "slightly above entry level" bike that won't break the bank. It's awesome!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali - any!

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo rides on Gary Fisher Tassajara & Kona Nunu and Fire Mountain

Bike Setup:   2003 Stock - even the stock SEAT is good!

Submitted by Kamran a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame! A good line-up of components for the price I paid. Great entry level front shock

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur is a bit slow to react, but this can easily be adjusted or replaced. I also found that the seat post will swivel time to time (unless you really tighten it)

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid, I really have no complaints. This is the perfect entry-level bike for anyone who is enthusiastic about XC riding. Any other bikes with these components, surely would of cost me $450-$500 easily. Trust me I've researched.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park, Cypresswood

Purchased At:   Oshmans

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for new front Shimano Deore derailleur and panaracer tires.

Submitted by M Tong a Weekend Warrior from Schaumburg, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Strengths:    Solid frame, quality parts, great shifter

Weaknesses:    Seat post seams to twist around now and then.

Bottom Line:
Great bike - rides smooth - all part work work with precision. These are my first rapid fire shifters, so it took a little getting used to. But they are a sure thing for trouble free shifting and I am shifting a lot more. I also tacked on a Trail-Gator tow-bar to pull my 6-year old along when she tires out. The seat twisted around even w/o the Trail-Gator. Some reviews said that the seat was hard so I purchased a Trek gel seat, but I actually found the stock seat more supportive.

Favorite Trail:   Illinois Prairie Path

Purchased At:   Two Seasons

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Bontrager bar magnesium ends

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Arden, NC

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent front suspension, smooth shifting, handles tight trails very well.

Weaknesses:    Seat is hard on your ass. Upgrade tires for better traction.

Bottom Line:
A lot of bang for the buck. I highly recommend purchasing this bike if you are a beginner. You don't have to second mortgage your home to get into the sport of mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Submitted by Daniel a Downhiller from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is sturdy and the fork is real sweet

Weaknesses:    saddle kills my ass, and comes loose easily

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike great deal awesome on xc trails not so good on the drops but hey its a hardtail buy one and have fun!

Favorite Trail:   Whistler (Cant beat it!)

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a new seat

Submitted by Matthew Clark a Cross Country Rider from Celina, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great Weight for price. Fork. Components(deraliers, brakes)

Weaknesses:    Saddle!- It's as hard as a rock.
Clip pedals- you can remove them just by unscrewing the pedal reflectors and pulling the strap thru.
Front deralier cable- rubs crown on fork a little.

Bottom Line:
Very awesome bike for price paid. Not one thing is junk on it. i used to think Haro was crap, but once i looked into it, it was awesome. Get rid of the seat and clips.

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park (McKinney) TX

Purchased At:   Galyans

Bike Setup:   Stock right now; I may upgrade handlebar and definately the seat.

Submitted by RocKeT a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    U can hardly find any other bike that is so value for money at this range. The suspenion & the rim(double wall) will already cost u $150.

Weaknesses:    Suspension is dead heavy..if u wanna race..u got to change it. Rear.D a bit inconsistent but still works reasonably well.

Bottom Line:
Honestly there is no other bike with these type of components for that price. Buy this if u are a beginner. U can grow on this bike as it is well put together and frame is pretty light. Kudos to Haro!

Favorite Trail:   The world is my trail !

Purchased At:   Team Cotech