Haro ICS 5.0 2002 Hardtail

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Terry Stroble a Weekend Warrior from Greenville,MI U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great combination of components for the money.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires were not agressive enough for my area. Had problems with stock LX chainlinks binding on steep climbs.

Bottom Line:
I looked around my area and tested alot of different bikes but couldn't find anything comparible without spending a few hundred more dollars. Good mid level hardtail you could race on weekends.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere they let me ride!!!

Purchased At:   Freewheeler bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock except for Kenda kevlar tires and XTR upgrade on the chain. Looking to upgrade saddle.

Submitted by LIN from SoCal

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    shimano LX group. The frame is weighty but makes for a really smooth ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike is well worth the money if you can get it for less than $800. It is a great bike and would recommend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   Local Mom n Pop Store

Similar Products Used:   Cdale f900sl <---sucked

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Gustavo Badillo a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    Full LX Components, Duke XC Fork, Shimano Total Integration

Weaknesses:    (1) The Fork is not 100mm, and (2) I dont like the tires they ride fast but are not appropiate for my average ride.

Bottom Line:
I really liked the "Pure shimano guts" feature of this bike, I've had a Yokota for 10 years with XT components, no complaint so far, the Shimano Total Integration is what drove me to purchase the ICS.

I've liked the bike handling, and altought it's not as light as I would want I think it's an excellent package, having LX all the way is great! assures you a long life for the components! 700? Not a steal, but still a great deal

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park

Purchased At:   SunSki

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F500

Bike Setup:   Original Setup Bike + Onza End bars + Michelin Wildripper Hot S

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Strengths:    Solid, comfortable ride

Bottom Line:
Great bike...great price...great components...Shimano LX all the way around...can't beat it...

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo, Fisher, Trek

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Tracks great, 25 mph hip width singletrack - got off line by 1 tire width (doesn't sound bad but it was) found my way back on line before I crashed. Old bike would have faceplanted me.

Weaknesses:    Pinchflats, Use to rear shock, 8 flats in less than 1 month, still have to figure this 100 mm Duke shock out.

Bottom Line:
love it, buy it, ride it hard and fast

Favorite Trail:   Trail system in Bonita, CA.

Similar Products Used:   99 Jamis Dakar Sport

Bike Setup:   stock, will go to kevlar bead tires during racing season

Submitted by Darick S. a Cross Country Rider from visalia, Cal., u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good fork,good LX components. A great looking bike. This bike tracks very good up steep climbs, with no front wheele float.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a little wide.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the money.I would recomend this bike to my friends. The first time I rode this bike I finished third place in a local xc race. Get one and ride!!!

Purchased At:   Copelands sports

Similar Products Used:   A gary Fisher, and a Voodoo.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Vytenis from College Park, MD, US

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Solid; Great shifting; Awesome front shock (Duke XC). Very comfortable frame (I have 19.5" frame and I am 6'3").

Weaknesses:    It is a hard tail. Need a seatpost shock for extended rides :-)

Bottom Line:
Inetgrated stuff seems to work really well (the only non-LX components are Deore brake pads). Used it in an adventure race - it simply rocked. Also did some technical trails - it handled really well. One might need to get different tires if using for muddy conditions.