Giant Yukon 2002 Hardtail

4.38/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by Nick ... a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    the frame is rather solid for a newbie. haha the suspension is rather good for its budget

Weaknesses:    the hubs gotta be changed after awhile. the bottom bracket starts to give way (results my knee bruised by my gear shifter ocassionally) headset gets loose quite fast.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for newbies. although i dented my rims, wrecked my rear hub, headset, bb, it is proven that this bike is not meant for hardcore riding. Whahaha it is still a great value for money. hmm. get the 2004 bike.

Favorite Trail:   no trails.. trials maybe?

Purchased At:   a bike shop. haha

Similar Products Used:   hmm.. none. wished i had more money

Bike Setup:   black

Submitted by Beejay a Weekend Warrior from Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, reliability

Weaknesses:    None to my inexperienced eye

Bottom Line:
I bought it as a way to get into XC riding, and it has served well. No complaints about components, it has been a super reliable rig. Just rode in the MONT 24 and it got me comforatbly through the laps that I managed to do. A great way to start out dirt riding for a relatively small outlay.

Favorite Trail:   Glenrock (Newcastle)

Purchased At:   Roudabout Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First real bike

Bike Setup:   Standard except for Shimano M424's.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Solid frame and components

Weaknesses:    Original handle bar grips are loose

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid, this bike is definately great! With the money that I saved by not going for a Trek 4300, I am able to upgrade parts to make my bike more, well, me. Other than the fact that the grips on the handle bars slide down, my kickstand started rubbing against my rear tire, and my seat became loose(Nose of the seat started moving up & down) after I took a spill, no real complaints because all of my problems were fixed fairly easily(Seat adjustment was hidden by the rear reflector, solved the kickstand by pulling it away from the rear tire enough so it wouldn't rub any more, and puffing some air with the air compressor through the hole on the end of the grips so I can move the grips up further.) Now that I have a weekend offroading bike, I plan on getting a street bike sometime...

Favorite Trail:   MN River

Purchased At:   Prarie Cycle & Ski

Bike Setup:   Stock + new seat

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Anchorage, AK USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Very Lightweight
Fast, accurate shifting
Comfortable
Powers up them thar hills...

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Searched and researched many weeks, tried the Wahoo and Trek 4500 and found the 2002 Yukon to be the lightest of them all, better shifting parts and overall sleekness. I owned a 1996 Yukon for many years and have stayed with a trusted brand and not at all disappointed. Quite impressed with the strides in modernization. Go Giant....

Purchased At:   $369

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500
Fisher Wahoo
1996 Yukon

Bike Setup:   Black - nice

Submitted by Peekaboo a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Strengths:    Good strong frame , comfortable seat , responsive

Weaknesses:    Heavy fork and rims , brandless hubs , cheap shifters

Bottom Line:
The Yukon I bought comes with parts different from the USA. It is a Taiwan version with SR Suntour 60mm fork and Suntour crank set. No complaints for the fork yet as I have not really abused it yet. But the hub and rim set is a little disappointing. I find it too heavy.
As I am new to this biking, I do not intent to spend too much for a starter bike and so far, this bike seems to be able to guide me into the sport slowly but surely. Quite responsive on different kinds of terrains and generally light for this price range. The impressive part of the whole bike is the body frame. Can easily upgrade the componants to a better bike to suit your requirement.
However, the stock component are a little weaker compare to some other brands of the same price range.

I will definately recommend this bike to new comers as an entry level bike.

Similar Products Used:   Tested Scott Yecora, Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   Stock.Altus front derailer, Acera rear derailer, SR Suntour XC 60 fork , hoopster (??) rim . (Will be upgrading to a pair of Sun 0 Degree XC rim and Shimano Deore hub soon.)

Submitted by hert a Weekend Warrior from getter city

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    light, nice shifters, nice shocks, and good tires

Weaknesses:    not much

Bottom Line:
great value

Favorite Trail:   the road

Purchased At:   berrys bikes

Similar Products Used:   cheap kmart bikes

Submitted by Rudy a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL.

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    Great tires top of the line they dont wear out on the pavement, deasent brakes, took me a whole year to pop a tube, pretty light

Weaknesses:    Heavy fork, preload nob very hard to turn (ussually need wrench) but i think i got a defected pair.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for just riding around and jumping (not to serious jumping) great value.

Favorite Trail:   the bone

Purchased At:   TL fritts

Similar Products Used:   Boulder se

Bike Setup:   Wanted to upgrade to dirt jumpers but didnt want to get disc so i think a am goin to upgrade to Psylo SL or XC

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Strengths:    Orange Paint, the best components in its price range.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy. Fork preload adjustment knob sticks and is difficult to turn.

Bottom Line:
The 2002 Yukon comes with better components than other bikes in the less than $500.00 range. I've had it for 1 year now and have had no problems. The fork has some flex, but it's still better than the Jetts or RST's on other bikes in this class. This bike has handled everything I've been able to thow at it. I made the change to Giant from Schwinn in 2001 and expect my next bike to be a Giant, (maybe the 2003 Iguana in Yellow). This is a great beginner to intermediate bike that could even go raing with a few upgrades.

Purchased At:   Sand Lake Cycle

Similar Products Used:   2001 Giant Rincon SE

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Strengths:    Great beginner bike, nice stock parts.

Weaknesses:    Weak frame, weak wheels, not good for freeriding or intense XC. The frame snapped on a bad crash.

Bottom Line:
This frame broke under me when I did a simple sidewalk hop. I was riding down the sidewalk, and i hit a bump and did a bunny hop, and as i landed the frame snapped in half. I wasn't even that badly injured afterwards. Scar on my arm, and scar on my leg. Little shooken up, and very angry at giant. I had just discovered freeriding when this happened, so i was very angry. Yes, i probably had put a lot of stress on the bike prior to the crash, but it should not have broken like that. I also nearly snapped the rear wheel on a wheelie drop (it was bent into an S, unrepairable). The shocks bottomed out on the frame-snapping crash, non re-useable. This bike was great when i did plush XC, and mostly riding around town. If you know what you're doing or if you are expierence, its a good bike for jumping and freeriding. If you are just begginning, i don't recommend the bike.
And after the crash, when I tried to either get a new frame, a better frame or a refund from Giant, they refused to do anything. They didn't replace anything on the bike or anything at all. It took a letter that was written to them to get anything at all. After that, they sent me a boulder (which i didn't touch). I sold the boulder to my LBS and got a surly frame. That thing is the bomb. I'm never buying anything from Giant ever again.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier

Bike Setup:   Only stock parts that were left were handlebars, stem, drivetrain

Submitted by j a Cross Country Rider from winnetka illinois

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    fairly light, great brakes, descent fork, very fast, love the shifting

Weaknesses:    heavy fork but that is no big deal

Bottom Line:
great bike for jumping, riding around town and racing xc. also it is a good road bike, i always smoke my friends in races

includes some pretty sick rims and panaracer tires

Purchased At:   tl fritts on sale

Similar Products Used:   giant boulder, gary fisher sugar 3

Bike Setup:   stock, upgrading to psylos in a few months

Submitted by Gregg a Weekend Warrior from Port St.Lucie, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    great fit and feel, double walled wheels and competion tires come stock. The best feature is the groove in the braking surface on the wheels, works great wet, muddy,or sandy.

Weaknesses:    none found yet!

Bottom Line:
The Yukon is a great bike for the bucks. The Alivio is super smooth especially on the uphill grinders. The combination of brakes and (grooved rims) outstop the smooth rims everytime. The steering is agile and precise. I spent over an hour fitting this bike to me and it has a 37%/63% weight split. Even the stock seat is comfy, I added a suspension seatpost to soften the spider roots in the gator hole. I have been riding single-track for 7 months and this bike does everything that I ask from it. I looked hard and rode 8 different bikes ranging in price from $5000.00 down to 129.00 and choose this one for the feel and fit.

Favorite Trail:   Green @ Camp Murphy JD.StatePark

Purchased At:   Martin County Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Saharra

Bike Setup:   stock except pedals and suspension seat post

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Flanders, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great price, nice seat! great tires and treads. Click shifters work well. Fairly light bike

Weaknesses:    Frame has a lot of flex at high speed, and when under a lot of torque. Front derailer jumps to lower gear A lot (when there is slack on the chain. This can be REALLY annoying.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike, and I am not by any means a good rider! I am learning fast with this bike, and it was a great buy for my first bike. I feel very comfortable on it, and the price was perfect for me. I had never heard of Giant before, but would definately look into one of their higher model bikes when the time comes.

Great bike for a beginner!

Favorite Trail:   Patriots Path - Morristown, NJ

Purchased At:   Cycle Works - Stanhope, NJ

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock F1 Comp, Giant Iguana, Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    Decent lightweight and sturdy frame, hot looks

Weaknesses:    wheelset heavy, Judy TT's a little flexy, soft cranks

Bottom Line:
Good value with reasonable componentry. Judy Fork is only useful for light trail use, however, adjustability can create a stiffer ride for urban and street riding. After the cranks bent (partly due to cheap pedals), I took the chance to upgrade to Raceface cranks with ISIS bb, and with slicks for commuting, this bike can rocket along. Had a lot of fun, for a relatively small cost. Five flaming badgers!

Favorite Trail:   any