Giant SE 2 2002 Hardtail

4.76/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, quality build, good parts

Weaknesses:    It came with Mosquito tires, and they wore out very quickly. None other than that.

Bottom Line:
For the light weight and quality parts this bike came with, it was a great deal. I've abused this thing like crazy and nothing has yet to give. I'll admit, I've ridden nicer bikes that cost a lot more than this one and this one is just as good.

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   100% stock, execpt for IRC Serac tires.

Submitted by Los a Weekend Warrior from Waterford, MI

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Strengths:    Nice XC weight, stiff for climbs and nimble carver.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I picked this frame because of the price to value ratio. The frame is choice if you like to hammer climbs in the saddle. The beefy rear triangle is solid! My Specialized was recently retired and I couldn't pass up the price for the frame($250).

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake Rec. Area

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp 97

Bike Setup:   XTR groupo, Rock Shox Duke Race '02, S Works Hubs(Hugi)w/Mavic 517, Michellin Rubber, TiTec X Wing post, Titec fat head ti stem and bar, Bontrager race bar ends, Shimano 747 pedals

Submitted by MissyCalimba a Cross Country Rider from nc

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Light, holds up good for me though im 110 pounds but i do alot of drops and jumps with it. By the way this is a review for the frame. Nice handling

Weaknesses:    Not super strong. I'm scared of doing the bigger drops with the bike. I use my friends bike for that.

Bottom Line:
I've crashed done 4 foot drops onto cement and done big jumps and it still holding up great without any dents. though i am a light rider at 110 pounds. I think it is a great frame except im scared of doing drops bigger than four feet on this bike because im scared it might break. I use my friends bikes to do bigger things. Overall I think it is a nice light quick handling frame and I with Giant's outstanding parts selection I think it can't be beat for a 1000 dollar xc bike.

Purchased At:   all star

Similar Products Used:   Iguana frame

Bike Setup:   Duke Race, XTR front and rear, LX crank, SD Ti brakes, Raceface bashguard, deore shifters (ones kinda messed up) python and roll-x tires

Submitted by Austin Watson a Cross Country Rider from Cumming, GA 30040

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    This Is a Sick looking bike. It rides well. All of the components are holding up well so far... Also tthe bike is super light. Ithink that I got a good deal on it that may be part of why I like it so much. FAST!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    The Tires are the most god awful things I have ever seen. They are kind of sissy looking.

Bottom Line:
This bike is off tha hizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mtn. or Ag Center

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I rode a schwinn mesa for a while then a Gary fisher. None of which compared to this bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I will be changing out the front shock and tires very soon.

Submitted by Stan a Weekend Warrior from Syosset, NY

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Love this bike! Climbs beautifully, descends and handles well. Light with a firm ride. I ride hard and it's taken everything I can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    The mosquitos don't wear well, but otherwise, no complaints.

Bottom Line:
Where else are you going to get this much bike for a 1000 bucks? It just isn't going to happen. I felt very lucky to find the supposed last one in existence in a 19" frame. Recommende to anyone who takes their riding seriously.

Favorite Trail:   stillwell loop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ciro from Vienna, VA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, good components, good climber. Looks great too!

Weaknesses:    Mosquito tires absolutely suck, Race Face Prodigy bottom bracket broke after a month of use, I sent it in for a replacement and have not heard back from them (it has been 6 weeks). Titec X-Wing seat post comes loose every ride and creaks a lot. Shimano 505 pedals are not very good either. Although the shifters are LX have not had any problems.

Bottom Line:
Great frame, solid components. Great bike for the money, very light and great geometry. An all around great bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Panaracer Dart and Smoke tires and Oury grips. I will replace the seat post with a Thomson and Time Atac pedals immediately. Stem, shifters, and front der. will come later.

Submitted by dave from Tas, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    -Light
-Strong
-Looks pretty damn sweet (in my opinion)
-Climbs like a mountain goat on steroids
-PRICE!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    -None that I can find!

Bottom Line:
Fun bike to ride, light and nimble, just pick a line and hang on!!, rides extremely well for such a stiff frame.

I don't if it's just because I'm out on the bike more, or if it's the bike, but I'm climbing so much better now, and on the flats I'm pushing twice the gear I did before (at the same speed) so I must be going quicker!!!

Climbs like buggery, Bombs down hills pretty well for a 3.3lb frame,A very nimble trail/race bike. Great Fun!!!

Purchased At:   phantomcycles (the best)

Similar Products Used:   Old Trek 4500 trail bike
Heavy-as-hell Duallie

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Speed Dial 7 levers, Carbon brake booster, Continental Explorer Pro tires.

Submitted by Barbara a Weekend Warrior from Brimingham, AL

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Super light frame, excellent component grouping for the price, especially like the feel of the Rockshox Duck XC
The Mat Black Paint with Bright Yellow Lettering is very Sexy. Solid Feel, Climbs Well, Descends Well, Very responsive handling.

Weaknesses:    Mosquito Tires - Maybe, They seem to wear quickly, and are not suited for the terrian I ride.
Shimano Chain HG-53 - Master link kept working loose after a few rides.

Bottom Line:
Awesome Hardtail for the money. I started searching for a new bike, after I became completely frustrated with my Trek 4500 - 2002 model and upgrading components was going to be costly. The Trek was big 16.5",Alivio Didn't Shift properly and handle like a slug in comparison. (Lesson learned do your research, educated yourself on fit, riding preferences don't impluse buy!, a little research save time and money!) I wanted a light, reliable, and good climber and I found it in the SE2. Since purchasing this bike, my climbing has improved, I ride longer without fatigue, and I'm more confident on the trail. I personally love this little bike and it has made me a better rider. Try the Stumpjumper too. They both had a good feel and climb like the devil. SE2 won great component group, and awesome pice.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper M4 2002- 1st Runner Up, Nicer Frame, a few lesser components and $140 more. (I'm 5'2",120lbs Frame Wasn't a Factor)
Trek 8000 2002- A hair heavier than the Giant and Stumpjumper.
Trek 4500 2002-(My Old Bike) Not even in the same class, all three of the these bikes will eat it for lunch.

Bike Setup:   Stock, Cateye Mity 3, Barends and WTB Velociraptors Tires.

Submitted by Russ from Krum, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    strong but superlight frame, like the duke xc, like the avid brakes and the shimano components

Weaknesses:    hutchinson mosquito tires wear too fast so i stuck with panaracer xc fire pro tires

Bottom Line:
has to be the best hardtail for the money, awesome climber and descends well. this is my second giant and i'm loving it. i love the feel that a giant has. i strongly recommend this bike to anyone and everyone

Favorite Trail:   too hard to decide

Similar Products Used:   giant rincon

Submitted by Dannyboy a Cross Country Rider from Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    - Light frame
- Good looks (looks even better with a little mud on it)
- Great bang for the buck
- Love the Duke fork

Weaknesses:    - I find the seat uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This bike was definitly hot this year. I got the last one in my city with four different dealers all carrying Giant. I would have bought the XtC or the C-dale F600 but I just felt better on the Giant. That's basically what it came down to. This is my first "real" mountain bike and I am loving every ride. I always have a smile on my face when I ride this bike. It pedals well, shifts smooth and is super light! I would recommend this bike and my dealer to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Birdshill Park

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle & Ski (Henderson Hwy.)

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Cannondale F600 and F500

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, added a riser bar and bontrager bar ends

Submitted by SMASH a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    good parts, lightweight and fast, good climber, great bargain

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is very sweet. Thanks to all of the previous posters who let me know that I needed to try this bike. I like it much more than the Gary Fishers, Treks, even a Specialized Stumpjumper M4. I almost went with the NSR2 - also very sweet, but $500 more, and regardless of the NSRs awesome ability to kill bob, etc., I prefer a hardtail. For the heavier riders - I'm 260 - put more air in the fork, it's fine. Steering much tighter after slightly shortening bar - original 23".

Favorite Trail:   Land btwn the LAkes, TN/KY

Purchased At:   Schwinn dealer

Similar Products Used:   GT Outback, GF Big Sur, Trek 8700

Bike Setup:   stock 'cept switched to IRC Mythos tires, and had 1" cut off of handlebar

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Poland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, smooth ride, low price

Bottom Line:
When my GT RTS full-suspension frame broke, my bike shop attempted to get warrantee help from Pacific. No luck, so they worked a deal with Giant to get me a frame so cheap I can't mention the dollars. Suffice it to say my bike shop is awesome. I used my old components plus some lighter wheels. I can't believe how this thing climbs. It's like my road-race bike. And the ride is so close to my stiff RTS that I don't miss the rear shock at all. I forgot how much fun a good hartail is. Buy this bike - or just a frame and build your own. My shop sells the frame alone for $400.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Quarry Trail

Purchased At:   Rainbow Bikes - Auburn, Maine

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Rolf Sattelite wheels, Thompson, Answer Pro-Taper

Submitted by lajoie mathieu a Racer from gatineau, quebec, canada

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    climbs xtremely good, shifts like a dream, built solid, durable race face xc crank set, very ligth bike, the lx and deore go toguether just super, and also great for downhill...

Weaknesses:    mosquito as tires

Bottom Line:
excellent bike, very recommanded, the price is just excellent for what you get...

Favorite Trail:   bromont

Purchased At:   cycles outaouais

Similar Products Used:   trek 6700

Bike Setup:   changed the tires

Submitted by Mike from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Nice fork, good components, superlight bike

Bottom Line:
The bottom line on this bike, is that it's a great deal for the money. For under a grand, I have searched for a bike that had better components for XC riding, and I couldnt find one. This light bike flys up the hills, and with the Duke XC fork descends comfortably. Thi bike has been great, I suggest anyone looking for a good XC ride to check it out.