Giant SE 1 2002 Hardtail

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)
MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Nathan Dicken a Racer from Christiansburg, VA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, so fast...

Weaknesses:    Tubeless tires kept going flat but fixed with Stan's (notubes.com) sealant - so I guess it's not much of a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Very nice ride - looking forward to racing it this season. This bike rides like a world-class racer - lightweight and just accellerates and climbs like a mountain goat. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good last-year's race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Brush Mtn Trails - Blacksburg

Purchased At:   mtbr.com classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Last bike I rode/raced was a custom Nevil Cycles back in '97

Bike Setup:   Stock + XTR rapid-fire shifters, Avid levers and a little sealant in the tires :)

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from Syd Australia

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    light frame + everything else

Weaknesses:    - sids are crap and frame a little weak

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great XC bike, fast on the uphill and strong on the downhill. best bike i have ridden. sids were not up to scratch so i replaced then with DUKE race which was well worth it. i havent owned it long and have allready dented it which is annoying.. the frame seems a little weak.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   mtb australia web site

Similar Products Used:   giant HT team -- giant se-2

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT hydro disc brakes, DUKE race forks, thompson stem and seatpost.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight.
Nice geometry and handling

Weaknesses:    Alot of lateral flex in the bottom bracket area.

Bottom Line:
This was a replacement frame for my 2000 SE1 frame. Because Giant had no replacement frames left in the country, it had to be built especially in Taiwan. IT took seven weeks (would have been longer if I didn't nag Giant) to have a bike again. THis is far to long, especially when I've paid so much for it, and not thrashed it at all. My original frame cracked after a years riding (about 200 hours) on the drive side bottom bracket weld due to the exessive lateral flex in the area. Facing the side of the bike, press your foot against the pedal. See how much the bottom bracket area flexes. That is why it breaks.
Anyway, enough bagging out Giant. THe frame does make a nice race bike. It is a very nice climber and sprinter. I do like the colours.
However, due to Giants poor customer service, this will be my last Giant. I will never reccomend a Giant bike again either. Yes, I do like the frames handling and ride quality, but I consider customer service to be of higher quality than what I experienced.
My next bike will be a Trek or a Norco hardtail. I've heard (especially with Trek) their customer service is up to scratch. My dealings with Giant may be a once off, but I won't be forgetting it next time I'm shopping for a new ride.

Favorite Trail:   The super ridge.

Bike Setup:   Hayes Mag discs.
LX/XT/Raceface.
Titec bits
317 rims on Hope XC disc hubs

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Incredibly spec'd for a stock bike (Crossmax wheels, SID SL, etc.), excellent climbing as well as descending bike.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all!

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best hardtail I've ever ridden -- I might even go so far as to say it's the best bike (hardtail or full-suspension) I've ever ridden! While I enjoyed my previous bike (Homegrown Pro), this bike just handles better. The stock Crossmax wheels add a whole new element of enjoyment to riding; lower pressure equals more traction and a slightly suspended feeling on an aluminum hardtail. If you can find this bike for anything under retail ($2,000), I'd highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir & Emma Carlin - WI

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F700, Giant XTC-DS1, Schwinn Homegrown Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Erich R a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, MI USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light frame, Tubeless CrossMax Rims, XTR Shifters & Rear Drailleur, Race Face Crankset

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox SID SL Fork - Not for anyone over 180lbs.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike. It climbs like nothing else I have ridden. The first ride or two I thought something was wrong (gearing, etc.) because of the extra effort it took me to muscle my way up hills. But I soon figured out that it was because there was no slipping or traction loss at all. This thing just digs in and climbs, no breaking the rear tire loose here. On the descents this thing is just freaky fast. In fact, the first few rides it wanted to go faster than I could keep up with. Now that I have a couple rides in, I have a much better feel for it. I absolutely love this bike. Well worth the $$.

Favorite Trail:   Pottowatami Trail, Pinckney MI

Purchased At:   MGM Bike & Fitness, Rochester MI

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bear Valley SE, Gary Fisher Supercaliber

Bike Setup:   Swapped SID SL fork for PSYLO SL (Much better for heavier riders). Hutchison Mosquito UST Tires.

Submitted by Jonathan Keats a Racer from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    Very good handling bike, comes with crossmax wheels and SID SL

Weaknesses:    LX shifter pods and fr dearailleur

Bottom Line:
This bike handles very well and is a very respectable climber. If you've always wanted a good set of wheels, by far the best upgrade you can buy, then you have to check this bike out for no other reason than the cost. If your looking for a quality out of the box race bike, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   The Wolf