Giant Rincon 2002 Hardtail

3.93/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by rinconrider213 a Downhiller from CA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    I bought this bike with all the upgrades so it was great. Great fork, great for jumping now, upgraded gears, new tires, if you get a good upgrade its great for jumping. Just not like beasty jumps.

Weaknesses:    Having some trouble holding the tire pressure

Bottom Line:
If you get it upgraded, it will be great for the road, downhilling, jumping, all that good stuff. If you are into jumping and downhilling you should get an upgraded fork and keep it a hard tail. Otherwise its a great bike!!!

Purchased At:   imartin!! support yo

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stuff 2-4

Submitted by jonnie moss a Downhiller from albuquerque

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    19" alu frame, price. looks and ok forks for truckin to school

Weaknesses:    it rubs when i power crank in high gear

Bottom Line:
nice bike for the price.. not as good as my real mtn bike but fair and comfortable, i tested it up and down route 66 last night for a couple of hours... i i think its worth the 2 bones i paid.
perfect school bike.
and bunny hops like a champ.

Purchased At:   buddy , never riddin

Similar Products Used:   trek, nishiki

Bike Setup:   a#1 i ditched the pedals (generic platforms), field goalded the seat (k2 bargin bin)and shortend the post (i have short legs)need some crow bars.

Submitted by Allison from NYC

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    VERSATILITY and craftsmanship. This bike can go anywhere and do anything. It feels sturdy, secure and safe no matter what pedals, standing, sitting, uphill, downhill. Braking is perfect and shifting can be perfect with some fine and frequent tuning. The PAINT job is incredible. This thing has been brutalized and still looks brand new when cleaned. (Not like my road bike with pinstripe decals instead of paint!)

Weaknesses:    Front shocks loosen after the first 1,000 miles and can not be set back to no-bounce for road climbing-- but then I should be using my road bike for that. High mileage, cross-shifters may require frequent shifter cable adjustments/replacements. No big deal. TIP: When shifting is set up to perform flawlessly, the very highest gear may produce rubbing on the front cage. My advice is to leave it be. Too many people have tried to eliminate this for me, only to mess up my shifting and chain line. LBS has it shifting perfectly again. I can live with the limited use of that one gear.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding performance for it's price range! I had not been riding for 15 years. This Giant Rincon made me passionate about cycling all over again. Light enough for 40 mile road trips, tough enough for off road. FUN to ride. After 1,000 miles I was itching for a road bike and got one for 50+ mile rides and beautifully paved roads, but this is the one I use for everything else. I put two flat-center Kendas on this and have been riding trouble free through glass, metal, potholes, sleet, rain, heat waves, blackouts, road craters, metal clothes hangers (for real), sticks, sand, dirt and gravel for two years.

5 Chilis for value. The only thing keeping it from an Overall 5 is the occasional quirky shifting and suspension; but I would buy it again and can highly recommend.

If you are a new enthusiast or returning to riding after a long time, this one is going to keep you in the saddle for life!

Bike Setup:   Stock except for pedals and tires.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Ocala, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is light and has a tough frame. Solid V-brakes and shifts smooooooooth. Comfortable seat. Good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals are crap resin.......thats about it.

Bottom Line:
Like Dave from Denver said this is a great all around bike, since they improved the deraileur from 2002 this thing shifts like a dream and doesn't adjustment very often. I have over 300 hundred miles on this bike and have had ZERO problems. The only thing I have changed are the pedals to SPD clipless and I'm contemplating upgrading to Avid disc brakes.

This bike also rides like a dream, it handles well off road as well as on road, it has upgradability (e.g. v-brakes to disc brakes). I'm not real hard on the bike likes some people are (just because of my skill level) but it has taken everything I' dished out including some drops and jumps with no rim truing needed.

Bottom line if you're on a budget looking for a solid bike with good components that will take punishment this is the bike to buy

DON'T FORGET TO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE DEALER!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Santos Bike Shop - - Support the local guy!!!!

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Rincon with Sigma BC1200 speedo, Sigma Mirage/Mirage X dual light kit, 2003 Ritchey Logic Pro V3 pedals, shortly upgrading to avid disc brakes.

Submitted by Martin Leon a Weekend Warrior from Guadlajara, Jalisco

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great Value, even when I've paid a little bit more than usual, but that's because I bought it in Mexico. I've spent a lot of time riding it, and it never cause me any trouble. It's great for entry level riders. Good traction and stays on the ground when going down hill. Components are good for its price. The suspension feels great when it's as hard as possible. Few things to complain about it.

Weaknesses:    Obviously it'll be better with at least 8 speed, but enough for the price. The saddle it's too quilted. It came with plastic peddals, but again, PRICE!!!. The handle bar and post are a little bit cheap.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE FOR THE PRICE! My last bike was a '98 Trek 7000zx, and I don't miss it, except for the 8 speed transmision, but I'm about to upgrade it for about 150 bucks, so after 2 years of using it, I think it worth it. I hardly recommend it for Entry Level/Week End riders. But one thing: If you can, get the '03 rincon, IT'S EVEN BETTER!

Favorite Trail:   La Primavera

Purchased At:   Import Bike, MEX

Similar Products Used:   GT All Terra, Java Decaf, '98 Trek 7000zx

Bike Setup:   Rithcye Rizer Handle Bar, Bontrager 10cm post, Selle Bassano Anti Compression Saddle, FPD Clip On Pedals.

Submitted by Chris Braatz a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    Good durablility. I ride off-road often from just gravel roads to steep ups/downs, roots, logs, rocks, etc. It has last me 2 years and I still have almost no problems with it. Great bike, especially if you are on a budget or a beginner. Very light.

Weaknesses:    The shifters were kind of weak, especially when in hi-gear/hi-gear or low-gear/low-gear. Also, the shock absorbers aren't ajustable, which really ticked me off. The cup-holder cage that came with mine was a piece of crap. I was riding around the block and it got caught in my pants; broke right off. I had to replace it within 3 weeks

Bottom Line:
Great bang for the buck. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is on a budget and/or a beginning mountain bike.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Morain

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4900, Trek 4300, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   stock - i put pedal cages on and soon i will be taking those off and putting on shoe-clips, bar ends

Submitted by Aaron Ranger a Cross Country Rider from North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    -soooo light
-comfortable seat

Weaknesses:    -i found the wheel rims to be too weak, they were warped after like 6monthes!

Bottom Line:
great bike, if you are willing to put some money into the wheels, i also found the rims too narrow, the starting fork is OK, overall, its a great bike for the price!

Favorite Trail:   Jack Pine

Purchased At:   Cheapskates

Similar Products Used:   -velo sport blast
-norco katmandu
-norco wolverine

Bike Setup:   -stock
-sept for my 2002 RockShox Psylo XC front fork!!!

Submitted by Jesse Waldrop a Weekend Warrior from Eden Prairie, MN

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    A solid, beginner bike.

Weaknesses:    Don't expect to get much out of this bike beyond some minor trail riding.

Bottom Line:
This is an updated review from a previous one I had done below.
So far this bike has been nothing but great. It has basically become a commuter bike of sorts, (after spending about four or five months on the trails). I currently use my newly purchased '03 Iqauna for the trails now. If you are a 'newbie' to the sport or just need a good bike to get you places, I definitly recommend this bike, I've yet to have ANY problems, and still put more miles on it than my $600 Iqauna.

NOTE: I've actually, (previous from my last review), bumped the Overall Rating up to five Flamin' Chilis. Reason being is this bike is a descent trail rider, but to be frank, it's more or less a commuter bike, and with that, don't plan on getting a whole lot out of this bike when it comes to the trails.

Favorite Trail:   River Bottoms/General Commute

Purchased At:   Prairie Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   '03 Iqauna

Bike Setup:   All Stock

Submitted by Marco Velasco a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    excellent handling, fork and components are good for beginer riders, great warranty on frame

Weaknesses:    Components are cheap if you ride everyday, but will hold for a while

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for new riders or old ones making a come back, i rode the bike in all kinds of terrain and had a very few problems like :I bended the original fork so i changed to a marzzochi, broke rear axle, tacoed front wheel,and finally broke the frame, but I must tell you none of this was the fault of the bike it was me, because i'm a heavy guy 250 pounds and i ride at least 4 or 5 times a week on single trail( by the way a got a new frame from Giant to replace my old one when it broke) thanks to the guys at "WORTH CYCLES AND SPORT" give them a call if you are in the south side of chicago they will take care of you and your bike, they took care of verything even do i diin't originally bought the bike from them.Finnaly if you want a good reliable bike and have about $300.00 to spent dthis is the bike you sholud buy

Purchased At:   Orland cyclery

Bike Setup:   clip ons and suspension post and marzocchi fork

Submitted by Eddie T a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta Georgia USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    New 2003 model handles like a glove. Great comfy suspension. Adjustable so i can ride about Anywhere. Strong frame. Delicious colors (Gray and dark gray and white)

Weaknesses:    Yet to find any. I don't think there coming either.

Bottom Line:
Well after some intense riding, that was very enjoyable becaue my ass didn't hurt like a damn brick brought a bright ear to ear smile to me. It handled very well, it was very predictable. It rode like a glove, and i like to ride hard. I weigh about 190 and showed no problems. I went with a Boulder SE then it was stolen, then somehow i ended up with a raleigh and that sucked. This is a new rejoice, and i recomend it deeply. Begginer to intermediate, you'll love it.

Favorite Trail:   Yellow River park

Purchased At:   Pedal POWER!

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder SE Raleigh M30

Bike Setup:   All stock. Thinking about new rock shox judy TT. But the stock handles great

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Taiwan

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great value, comfortable to ride and can handle a range of conditions.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailleur is a bit dodgy.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's light and handles well. I mainly used it for road riding (in the mountains) and some rough dirt roads. It was very comfortable and easy to handle. My only complaint is the rear derailleur, but for a bike at this price you can't expect all the components to work perfectly.

Purchased At:   GIANT bike shop, Tucheng, Taiwan

Similar Products Used:   GIANT Boulder

Bike Setup:   Added bar ends, otherwise standard.

Submitted by Ricky Frost a Weekend Warrior from Nor Cal, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    I just started to ride off-road this year and this was a good way to get started. The frame seems bullet-proof. I'm 210lbs and I treat it very badly (lots of jumps) and it just keeps on goin'.

Weaknesses:    Fork is for smooth trails only. Drivetrain and wheel truing needs constant adjustment for medium-hard riding. Wheel brake surface isn't very good and half the brake pads end up there.

Bottom Line:
If you're serious in any way about MTB then save your money and get in at the $700 level. With all the upgrades I've done I've ended up there! The frame and it's rock-solid feel almost make up for all the shortcomings. Unless you want to do a lot of minor tuning between rides (or you only ride very smooth or paved trails) then the low-grade parts won't last. The Rincon is a good way to spend week-nights working on the bike just to ride 4 hours on Saturdays.

Favorite Trail:   Steeper the better

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Trek 850

Bike Setup:   Duke Race fork, Rhyno lite wheels, Time ATAC pedals, suspension seatpost, cycle computer, contemplating XT drivetrain (thanks eBay)

Submitted by Rob Fiddyment a Weekend Warrior from Hobart Tasmania

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Value for money, best setup for the price. Strong frame but fairly heavy bike overall (XL size). I'm 250lbs/6'4" so was worried about getting a bike that lacked structural strength. This bike has taken everything I've dished out. I bought it as a way to get back into cycling and it's been a good return bike (short term option). Very predictable handling. Inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    Bent the second chainring twice (replaced) buckled wheels (2) but that's my weight not the bike's fault, Seat appears comfortable but wasn't on 50k plus rides, tyres ok but a little too squidgy for my liking. Ceramic brakes nothing special.

Bottom Line:
Obviously this is an entry level bike but within that sector of bikes it is a good bike for the beginner or re-starter and good value for money. Will take some really hard k's/miles from heavy rider without letting you down. After sales service has been excellent.

Favorite Trail:   any