Giant Iguana 2002 Hardtail

4.25/5 (72 Reviews)

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is a great bike to learn about mountain biking on. The frame has the same geometry as the top of the line xtc which you can pay several times more for. This bike has treated me well as I have learned more about mountain biking for the past 5 years or so.

Weaknesses:    You get what you pay for. The components aren't amazing, but they do their job just like they should. Many of the components are much better suited to more casual riding. But heh, you are getting a great bike for the price, so you can upgrade these components as they wear out / you get better.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike to learn on. As you can see I have upgraded a lot of components from the stock setup as I have gotten better (or broken things). The bike is still in great shape. I highly recommend this bike for someone looking to get into mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Purchased At:   the bike lane

Similar Products Used:   1997? specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   egg beaters (the best upgrade you can do for the money on this bike) blackspire single speed chainring, race face bash guard, panaracer fire xc pro tires, good quality wtb enthusiasts saddle, avid single digit 7 brakes (another worthwhile investment over the stock tektro).

Submitted by Kasey a Cross Country Rider from Billings MT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Awsome Frame, great price, looks awsome, good climber, handels well

Weaknesses:    front fork isnt stiff enough. i only weight 150 and i bottom it out alot. Week front derailleur and really crappy tires.

Bottom Line:
good bike for a great price but because of the fork i would buy somthing else. its just too weak. i think they have upgraded forks recently and they have gone to disk as well but i would definatly not buy a 2002

Favorite Trail:   zimmerman park

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   old school schwinn before they went to crap

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from N/A

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Strengths:    Great bike. No real problems at all. Breaks are dam good in all weather.

Weaknesses:    Tires are crap change them ASAP. there very soft and wear easy. Break pads get dirty easy. Change the tires to better and change seat if you plan doing over 6 miles. Not for the real ruff off track but i did not need it for that.

Bottom Line:
Great so glad i got it, it's been worth EVERY penny. Change the tires to better and change seat if you plan doing over 6 miles. Firn stedy bike. NEVER had to redo the gears not slipped at all. GREAT MUST BUY!!. Maybe be better wait till next model is out and try to get it as i would of thought the price would drop too..

Purchased At:   Gatto

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Raleigh, CLAUD BUTLER ( b4 and after they got took over by falcon. they suck now :()

Bike Setup:   Standerd

Submitted by Balderick a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Strengths:    Good reliable components. Nice frame.

Weaknesses:    Manitou 6 shocks too flexy and weak

Bottom Line:
For the money at the time of purchase, a good bike. The RH chain stay developed a crack just aft of the BB. Giant replaced it with a new frame (Ranier graphics, but same frame) and my old components were swapped across. Giant were great - they knew I was a heavyweight (at the time about 120kg +) and had ridden well over 10,000 kilomtres on it, but the LBS knew I take care of my bikes.

The bike, both new and old frame, is a good and not too heavy hardtail. I've towed tag-along bikes with my kids with it (and that really stresses out a frame) and I've raced endurance events on it. Only negatives are the wheels are bit heavy and not all that strong, but after a rebuild with better spokes they've held up OK.

I've broken one and worn out another front DR. The rear DR is now cactus, and I will replace it before the Mont 24 hr event with an XT. The difference between the Manitou 6 and the Z1s is huge - the Z1s are really nice and good quality.

Lowering the bar, then swapping the stem for something flatter, has really improved the bike. It is now much less relaxed, and more like a roadie, which helps in endurance events.

Next upgrade - the V brakes are stuffed, so I will upgrade wheels at the same time and put on Avid cables or Hayes Hydros - money is the issue.
Overall - I am happy.

Purchased At:   lBS

Similar Products Used:   1995 Giant Iguana, Voodoo Ti, Proflex

Bike Setup:   Stock save for Marzocchi (sp?) Z1 shocks, new seat, and very flat stem.

Submitted by Dave Bonnell a Weekend Warrior from St. John's, NL, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    Seems to climb well (or is that just me?). Comfortable on longer rides (2h+).

Shifting is relatively smooth, and has required minimal adjustment. Much better shifting than I had expected, given the level of componentry.

Weaknesses:    Gearing seems to be 'short' compared with similar products (i.e. slightly slower in top gear....this is compared to two similar Giant products, both with 13" frames)

While I think the frame is sturdy (size: L), I don't feel great about drops more than 1'. This is in comparison to a cheaper CrMo MTB I had back in 2000.

A little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the price...I abuse the bike (when I can)and it gives me no troubles. Switching to clipless pedals has made it even more enjoyable.

Drops larger than 1' tend to feel harsh. I used to drop 2' - 3' on my old CroMo GT and it was much easier on my body (of course, I am getting older...)

Oddly enough, despite the rocky terrain I ride through, I still have original tires/tubes installed. Some people complain about the durability of the Hutchison Mosquito tires, but they have worked out great for me so far. The sidewalls are noticeably scored, but no punctures. 3 years and no flats?? Guess I'm lucky.

If I had my time back, I would have purchased exactly the same bike. I think this is a terrific entry-level bike, but at the same time feel it is suitable for an intermediate-level rider. I have no plans to purchase any other mountain bikes in the near future.

Purchased At:   Earle Industries

Similar Products Used:   1999 GT Palomar

Bike Setup:   Stock, with the exception of a Shimano chain and some SPD pedals.

Submitted by roman a Cross Country Rider from bratislava, slovakia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    brakes, frame, geometry

Weaknesses:    tires(flats too fast), fork

Bottom Line:
I checked all stores around, red some reviews and chose this bike because its price and quality components(for its price). I use it for mountainbiking and downhill riding. Mailny in the weekends. Im very satisfied with this bike. I dont have any problem past 1 1/2 year of quite hard riding. Im 200cm high and i enjoy its geometry. 21 frame is very comfortable for me. GO FOR IT! ;)

Favorite Trail:   koliba

Purchased At:   rusovce

Bike Setup:   I plan to buy new fork.

Submitted by Brian a Racer from Houghton Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    solid frame

Bottom Line:
This bike worked great for the first year, and it held up well until the second, which in 2 weeks, I popped a tire, broke the chan, and snapped the derailer hanger. Also, I had to do extensive work on the gears to get it to gear all the way up or all the way down. On top of that, I broke the peadal and both toe clips. Overall, this bike is solid for the "social" mountain biker, whileif you use it every day, it just dosent have the longevity I had expected

Submitted by Steve Austin a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2004

Strengths:    Looks great. Fairly light so easy on the uphills.Good quality parts all round for the price.

Weaknesses:    Seat too hard for my skinny butt.changed to softer saddle. Tyres not really suited to road riding which I do a lot of. Fork feels softer than I'm used to but will get used to it.

Bottom Line:
A damm good bike for weekend rider.Can hit the trails with confidence. good parts for the money. buy it if you want a bike that is good quality but don't want to spend a months wage. don't buy it if you want to do serious trail riding and jumping, but you would know that anyway.

Purchased At:   Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Had a Rincon

Bike Setup:   stock. changed pedals to clipless and changed seat.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great price and good bike to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    Stem, fork is in desparate need of upgrading after 2 years, brakes could be better.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike 2 years ago to get back into mountian bike riding and to ride bikes with my son. I was going to sell when I bought a P.2 when my son became very interested in BMX racing but liked having a cross-country type bike that is easy to pedal uphill. This bike has been a great bike especially for the price. I do ride the bike fairly hard and have had no problems with breaking anything yet. The fork has gotten very soft lately and I am looking to upgrade this summer poddibly to a Rock Shox Pyslo SL. In general if you are looking for a great all around mountian bike I don't think your going to find much better for about $500 especially considering that the new models have mechanical disk brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley Park

Purchased At:   Criterium Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Specialized bars (off a P.2), Specialized stem, Race Face Bash Ring, WTB Moto Raptor 2.24 tires and Lizard Skins chain stay protector otherwise stock.

Submitted by DaMan from Dover, DE

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great Frame and componets

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but for under $500 it is steal

Bottom Line:
This is a fun little trail bike that has been good to me. I am no small guy and this bike holds up to my constant abuse. Giant assembles there own frames so they can deliver quality at a reasonable price. I will always stick with Giant. I wish I could afford a Rainier!

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Tas.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Hayes Disc brakes

Submitted by David1021 a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Solid built, looks sharp, good stock componets

Weaknesses:    Crankset is weak, Seat hurts

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for trails and street. The seat hurts though. It took alot of getting used too. The bike is great bike if you want to step up from the basic starter bike.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Fisher

Submitted by Miked6 from Georgia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Strengths:    Name Brand Componets, Quality strong frame

Weaknesses:    Saddle!!!

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike for the money. If you are looking to get started on trails this is the bike for you. Giant is a great name and the Iguana is a great bike. Mine has a few upgrades, but it was ready to go out of box. The only thing I would change right away is the seat. Other than that it is near perfect for under $500.

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon, Trek 4300, K2 Zed 2.0

Bike Setup:   Manitou Sixx Comp Fork, Shimano Deore Shifters, Tektro V Brakes, Shimano Deore Crankset, Shimano Deore Rear Der., Shimano Alivio front der., WTB Speed V Saddle, Titec X Wing pro post, Sram 7.0 Powerglide II Cassette, Zac 19 Wheels, Shimano Hubs, Panaracer Fire XC Tires, Specialized Dirt Rodz Bar Ends

Submitted by Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Worth every penny! Sturdy, well designed frame. Decent forks. Light weight for price... Yes, low price is nice. It can handle three-foot flat landing drops and fast-paced rough steeps easily.

Weaknesses:    None for price. Maybe components.

Bottom Line:
I'm not bragging, but I can rip on this bike. I've ridden with many riders who insist they need expensive and/or full suspension bikes to ride tough terrain, but I seem to keep them a good distance behind me just fine. Of course, a pro could ride better on a huffy than most could on any bike, but the point is that this bike is sturdy and capable. I agree, the components aren't that great, but it comes with the price. I actually have a 2000, which is pretty much the same as the '02, and I have beaten it for three years now. The drive train is worn out but the frame is as sturdy as ever. I'm contemplating upgrading the components vs. buying a new bike, which will be a hard decision because this bike handles so well.
I recommend this bike to beginners ranging from bike-path leisure riders to future hardcore riders. The cheap price is soft on the wallet and the bike allows a great margin of ability growth, allowing you to progress without having to worry about buying a new bike every step of the way.
Don't buy this bike if you know you will be a strictly downhiller or freerider

Favorite Trail:   Jone's Downhill

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock

Submitted by Casey a Cross Country Rider from St.Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Strengths:    light-weight for its price, good fast alivio/deore drivetrain. Good frame in general and its warrenty from Giant. Great feel climbing. fun desender(if u go a little recklessly everyonce in a while) Won my first race with it!

Weaknesses:    Fork has nothing but internal adjustments. stem/bar/post combo has no name brands(although post looks cool) saddle is uncomrtable, grips too flat and soft. brakes are kinda cheapy feeling. crankset kinda cheap, worth an upgrade.wheels would look cooler with black spokes(ah, just spray paint 'em)

Bottom Line:
Great beginer mountain bike, u can upgrade off of this puppy as much as you want. It will make you feel a lot more like a true mountain biker if your UPgrading to it. Its got bang for buck. This will also hike up your level of being an enthusiest.

Favorite Trail:   Ranger station