Giant Boulder 2002 Hardtail

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Diane Stanley a Weekend Warrior from Lake Haven, NSW,Australia

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    Lovely bike to ride, VERY comfortable. Gears are easily changed & bike is light weight.

Weaknesses:    Water bottle position is in a VERY bad spot, it is hard & dangerous to access, wet or dry, water bottle gets covered in debris.

Bottom Line:
Giant-Boulder is good value for money however the pleasure of riding this bike is diminished by not being able to use the water bottle holder facility due to its poor position on the bike.

Purchased At:   Breakaway Cycles

Bike Setup:   The bike has a fantastic setup APART FROM THE POSITON OF THE WATER BOTTLE HOLDER.

Submitted by Graham a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Very good bike, I use this bike on some tough trails, never had a really serious problem with it. Strong frame if used right, and good name-brand componets. I go against really good bikes, Iron Horse, Trek, and Specialized, and I can keep up easy.

Weaknesses:    Most problems came recently after it was moved across the country. My front tube went flat awhile ago, fixed it with a bike kit tube. It popped again because it wasn't a great tube. My rear tread was really wearing out so I replaced it with a new tire. Stock tubes tend to be a little weak, i got some really nice ones now. One main problem is shifting to the 3rd gear, the front derailer has problems, takes awhile, but does eventually muster up enough power to get going.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, I mountain bike with it and it works great. I also use it for commuting, and ride at least 5 miles on it a day. Which is a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Washignton DC Bike Store

Bike Setup:   New rear tire, new tubes, replaced some cranks after a horrible fall which bent everything.

Submitted by Jim Rand a Weekend Warrior from Brighton, UK

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Price, for this price it cannot be beaten! Good solid bike, which is very responsive. I'm 6'3" and went for the medium frame which was perfect.

Weaknesses:    Brake cables stretched alot during first month, but was sorted with my pliers.

Bottom Line:
Good alround bike for a beginner like me! If I can do the south downs than it must be good. :)

Favorite Trail:   sussex downs

Purchased At:   Baker St Bikes

Similar Products Used:   My car, but I guess that doesn't count. :)

Bike Setup:   As purchased

Submitted by Richard from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    Good sturdy frame, fat wheels, nice seat and great size frame. It can even handle the hills well but is great on the dirt tracks.

Weaknesses:    Squeeky handlebars but that was fixed up. Fat wheels not all that good on the roads, but hey! this is a mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
Great sturdy bike for a great price and a great ride especially for casual weekend riders up to the riders who enjoy trails all the time.

Favorite Trail:   Main Yarra Trail

Similar Products Used:   Many other MTBs

Bike Setup:   Stock standard

Submitted by conrad a Weekend Warrior from mason, wisconsin, usa

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    I'm no expert, but this is certainly no dept store bike. I like the solid feel and the components are a nice match. I don't have much to compare it to, but it's a better ride than my trek 800, and it cost less!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
No better introductory bike for the price. A solid value with dependable components and a range of frame sizes to fit almost anyone.

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Amandus Lojak a Cross Country Rider from Detmold, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    Stabiler allround Frame

Weaknesses:    unsaubere Schaltung, veraltete und schwache Komponenten von Shimano und Suntours aus den primitiv Parts. Kasette noch mit Freilauf.
Übersetzung zu kurz; Bereifung verwittert innerhalb von 1 Jahr; Laufräder nur für glatte Straßen geeignet, da sonst eine 8 droht. Schaltwerk springt unter Last. Die Steighilfen der Kurbel wahren nach 8 Wochen hin. Der SR Umwerfer ist instabil und verwindet sich beim Schalten. Die Kette war nach 3 Monaten auswechselreif. Die Bereifung zeigte nach einem Jahr tiefe Risse bis zur Karkasse. Der Sattel ist nur für kurze Fahrten, nach längeren Touren hat man Lähmungserscheinungen in den Beinen.

Bottom Line:
Fingerweg von diesem Rad, für das gleiche Geld kann man ein besseres bekommen.

Bike Setup:   Frame and Fork Giant; Umwerfer SR TP05; Kurbel SR XR180 42-32-22; Schaltwerk Shim Altus; V-Break Tektro; RIM Hoopster

Submitted by chad mcdaniel a Weekend Warrior from orlando, fl

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Strengths:    i bought the bike for my fiance so she could ride with me and it is a great bike for everyday riding. This is a solid bike for 200.00 dollars.

Weaknesses:    THE SEAT IS A LITTLE TOUGH FOR HER BUT THAT IS ABOUT ALL.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A PERFECT BIKE FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO JUST RIDE AROUND OR THE BEGINNER AND YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER BIKE FOR UNDER 200.00 DOLLARS ANYWHERE.

Purchased At:    J&R BIKES