Giant Boulder 2002 Hardtail

3.82/5 (28 Reviews)

Submitted by Diane Stanley a Weekend Warrior from Lake Haven, NSW,Australia

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    Lovely bike to ride, VERY comfortable. Gears are easily changed & bike is light weight.

Weaknesses:    Water bottle position is in a VERY bad spot, it is hard & dangerous to access, wet or dry, water bottle gets covered in debris.

Bottom Line:
Giant-Boulder is good value for money however the pleasure of riding this bike is diminished by not being able to use the water bottle holder facility due to its poor position on the bike.

Purchased At:   Breakaway Cycles

Bike Setup:   The bike has a fantastic setup APART FROM THE POSITON OF THE WATER BOTTLE HOLDER.

Submitted by dude dude a Downhiller from texas

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    sucks

Weaknesses:    sucks

Bottom Line:
sucks

Favorite Trail:   gr

Purchased At:   canadian tire

Similar Products Used:   sucks

Bike Setup:   sucks

Submitted by Brennan a Cross Country Rider from Western Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is sick, im only 14 and really getting into downhilling and trial riding. Every thing on this bike is good the chain, shock, rear derailer, V-brakes and fram design are great. i found the shock is a lil too stiff for me though only being 135 pounds, but it is worth the money. i can still ride hard on it. The frame is very light and can bunny hop some major obsticles.

Weaknesses:    The weaknesses on this bike would have to be the rims the have bent numerous times and on occasion flat lined them. the crank is the only problem i found on it, i have to climb alot over in WA so changing down gears skips the chain alot and i have broken 3 chaines on this bike already.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike aye, me n her have had some rough times and she has served me well. it is super cheap and super durable. i can wheelie for like 150 meters and the hard tail isnt starting to stress or anything. i recomend this bike too beginers and if you do buy it i hope you all have as much fun as i do on it.

Favorite Trail:   Every Trail in WA

Purchased At:   JCC, local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Haro V3 (v brakes), Diamondback Vectera (v brakes), Apollo LSX 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3. i found the apollo is too weird for my liking

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, changed crank, through 3 chains, back rim to a double wall, going to change the shock in the next 3 weeks (need the money) and went throgh alot of tyres and brake pads.

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from mississauga

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2006

Strengths:    the strength on this bike is thw weight it is a really light bike not extremely strong but strong enough.

Weaknesses:    the wheels i have gone throught stock wheels two times (four wheels)untill i upgraded to better rims.

Bottom Line:
it is a good begginer trail bike not for doing mountain riding or dirtjumping. this bike shoul be purchased by young riders thatw ant to get into the sport of trail biking.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   gears bike shop

Bike Setup:   i have ditch whitch rims and a alivio deralleur.mostly stock

Submitted by Dave Farb a Weekend Warrior from Key Largo, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy yet relatively light. Good beginner's bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat's kinda rough.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money.

Purchased At:   Knight's Bikes, Miami

Bike Setup:   Stock Boulder SE (2004).

Submitted by Graham a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    Very good bike, I use this bike on some tough trails, never had a really serious problem with it. Strong frame if used right, and good name-brand componets. I go against really good bikes, Iron Horse, Trek, and Specialized, and I can keep up easy.

Weaknesses:    Most problems came recently after it was moved across the country. My front tube went flat awhile ago, fixed it with a bike kit tube. It popped again because it wasn't a great tube. My rear tread was really wearing out so I replaced it with a new tire. Stock tubes tend to be a little weak, i got some really nice ones now. One main problem is shifting to the 3rd gear, the front derailer has problems, takes awhile, but does eventually muster up enough power to get going.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, I mountain bike with it and it works great. I also use it for commuting, and ride at least 5 miles on it a day. Which is a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Washignton DC Bike Store

Bike Setup:   New rear tire, new tubes, replaced some cranks after a horrible fall which bent everything.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Lawrence, KS

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, excellent saddle

Weaknesses:    Fork, components, weight, paint job and detailing, rims, tires

Bottom Line:
Excellent starter bike, but if you want to try anything technical or demanding (at all) you will need a better bike. I upgraded to a Specialized FSR for my XC bike after I tore through my third set of cranks on this bike. This bike is not made for mountains, don't let the name confuse you. "Pedaling" 8 miles back to town with one crank isn't fun.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Number of cheap hardtails, Gemini, FSR's, Joker

Bike Setup:   Alex DH rear rim, most of the upgrades have been removed for other bikes

Submitted by 4 Jaw Chuck a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame, see my previous review at the top of this page

Weaknesses:    At first the shocks seemed nice but now I feel they are just too "springy" with little dampening. Had bottom bracket replaced due to creaking with a slightly better Shimano replacement, no problems since. The "Mega Range" low gear is a marketing gimmick and nearly useless in almost any situation, 21 speeds aren't enough for me either. Front derailleur is impossible to adjust to prevent the chain from lightly touching under heavy load in top gear range and I have fiddled with it a lot trying to fix it. Not a biggie but annoying nontheless, I hate noises coming from my ride. Right side fork preload adjuster has a broken yellow indicating pin so it doesn't indicate how far the adjuster is turned in now, a big hit off of Arlington bridge travelling north bottomed the fork and caused the damaged. I have since disassembled the fork internals and filled the spring on the non-damper side with 3/8" fuel line and shimmed both dampers to contact the rubber inserts immediately. Fork only plunges about 1 3/4" now under heavy impacts but the extra rigidity is welcome and needed with a guy my size (235pds). Honestly the forks are junk and cause chattering of the front brake under high speed braking, I should have bought the non-SE Boulder, the fork is not worth the extra cost and causes more problems than it solves. Rims are holding up fine after a one month tune-up, the spokes were all loose at that time. Rubber from the brake pads is accumulating in the rough finish of the rim contact surface causing a "stick slip" situation under high speed braking, not very confidence inspiring and downright dangerous when you add in the freeplay in the cheesy fork and powerful v-brakes acting right at the top bushing in the stantion. Pedals were replaced right after I wrote the last review with giant beartraps, much happier now although my next bike will have clip-ons no excuses. That fork has to go if you are even a little serious or downhill it at high speed on pavement.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for casual street use and commuting with a load and it has served me well. The fork is absolute junk in my opinion and the rigid fork Boulder is the better option.

My braking problem only shows up when I commute over a very steep incline bridge, my top speed is 57 km/hr on the downside and the fork is downright scary at those speeds under braking, the brakes work fine and are powerful but the freeplay in the fork lets them down. I know one of these days I will end up over the bars from that junk fork. Shimming the fork has helped some but locking it out seems to be the best option...should have bought the rigid fork Boulder and saved myself the hassle...and the weight.

I honestly never thought I would outgrow this bike but I have fallen in love with riding all over again and push really hard on and off road, my next bike will be a full suspension NRS1 or AC1...I still haven't made up my mind yet. This bike will become my wifes when I get my new bike so it's no loss, it's only a fork away from being a great bicycle anyway.

The bottom bracket started making noise (creaking) in the first month of ownership so I upgraded the bearing set to a slightly better Shimano cartridge...so far so good. I've managed to punch the plastic indicating pin out of the preload adjuster, they told me I couldn't bottom this fork from normal street riding...guess I showed them. Overall the build quality is great (except for the fork) and the bike is deserving of a decent front end, buy the regular Boulder and save the money for a good fork if you want front suspension.

So far the drivetrain has been durable but the chain slaps off roading it hard, the rims are very rough on the braking surface and I have twice had to sand off the imbedded rubber residue in an attempt to reduce the front end chatter under heavy braking at high speed. I think once it's polished smooth the problem will be reduced but until then it's bloody dangerous combined with the floppy fork.

I've learned a lot about mountain biking and do not regret the purchase in the slightest, the frame is a work of art and is very rigid but deserves better components. I would recommend this bike only to beginners or someone willing to put a better oil filled fork up front right off the bat.

In my opinion still the nicest looking bike in the price range especially in red, the competition has the same crappy fork so there is nothing to choose from unless you step up in price.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with a jump or three!

Purchased At:   Olympia Sports Henderson Hwy.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   F/R Fenders, rear rack, Giant aluminum beartrap pedals, Schwinn computer, schwinn dual density grips, bar ends, bar end mirror, shimmed fork preload with extra rubber damper in right side fork stantion.

Submitted by 4 Jaw Chuck a Racer from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    I am 6 ft and 235pds and needed something beefy, it appears to be of heavier construction than the competition (Specialized etc.) Seat post has a steel liner, wheels have extra rubber seals outboard of the cartidge. Shift cables under top tube leaves a clean look, Canadian version also comes in red and looks HOTTT!! I am getting tired of aluminum clearcoat, solid white or yellow bikes...BORING! The finish is perfection and clearcoated with an extra thick Diamond clear coat paint. Drive components are low end but seem durable for commuting which is how I use it mainly.

Weaknesses:    Lacks a suspension seat but my dealer threw one in plus a set of Flak jacket tires for only $20 more. Kinda heavy compared to the Specialized. Components are low end. Factory tire best suited for offroad/light street.

Bottom Line:
What a great value for under $500, not long ago a bike of this quality would set you back $1000. The frame is deserving of some nice components and better wheels for rock hopping/heavy trail use but stock it works great for everday use/commuting. Very stiff frame that is built like a tank...no flex at all. Altus components work flawlessly and work better than some I've tried (maybe setup?). I tried all of the competition and bought it because it was the nicest looking of the bunch, honestly there isn't much between any of them. The adjustable fork is a nice touch and has double fork adjusters instead of one, I'm a heavy guy (235pds) and run them at the lightest setting and haven't bottomed it yet! The cables under the top tube are the way all bikes should be, why is this not standard? Pedals are cheap and I will likely change them out with better when they wear out.

Overall no regrets at all, I love the bike and it turns heads wherever I ride it. The black wheels and bars look nice with the red paint scheme of the Canadian model, have a look here.

Favorite Trail:   Birds Hill Park

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle, Henderson Hwy

Similar Products Used:   All of the competition

Bike Setup:   Aftermarket suspension seat (Must have!), Specialized Flak Jacket tires.

Submitted by billy trish a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, US

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    good frame good rims

Weaknesses:    bad fork and crank

Bottom Line:
I've had the bike for a little less than a month and I've went on a good 20 seperate rides and have wrecked it nearly every single time I have taken it out. So now it looks pretty old but thats my fault, but I havent had to take it to the shop yet and it gets beaten pretty bad every time I ride it so obviously its a good bike.

Favorite Trail:   drop zone

Bike Setup:   same as new

Submitted by Thomas and Paris Hodge and Lettau a Weekend Warrior from Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Strengths:    It's a good beginners bike, with a rigid 6061 Frame. Good price.

Weaknesses:    Not built for hardcore stuff. Derailleur Hanger has found to be easily twisted on drops.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for those that wana just go for a casual ride or a simple trail. Definitely should not be used for extreme drops, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Trevallyn